Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

2 minutes ago, dje85 said:

Did he though? Haack isn't that good of a punter anyways. I feel we could get a better punter than Haack after cuts or at least similarly talented. 

As far as I am concerned it shows how much trust they had in Haack as the starter that they willingly decided to roll the dice on this than cut the potential media storm issue before it happened. 

It's not as if Araiza blew Haack away. It was close in camp. Haack is a seasoned vet, was immediately picked up after getting cut. I don't see how any guy off the street is as good or better than him.

One of the most chilling thing about this is how cold my better half is about it. In that it is so believable. I had her look at this thread a bit and she just sort of shrugged and said "that is what it is like to be a woman". Reporting gang rape and hordes of strangers saying you are liar is so common place that she just continues to poor a new cup of coffee. Her casualness just sort of rocked me.

I just find it so gross and bone chilling. The older I get the more I admire the resiliency and strength it takes to just exist as a woman. By comparison I am a total bum and all women are super hero's as far as I am concerned.  

I recommend to everybody on this board with important females in their lives to start doing a lot more listening to what it is like. 

Edited by Mango
grammar
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Imagine if you (or a close family member) was falsely accused of something like rape or domestic abuse.

Your reputation is gone.  Your closest friends now hate you.  And instead of waiting for all the information came out, your job immediately fires you because they don't want to "deal with the distraction" from the media.

The Bills front office claims to care about the personal lives of their players.  I'm glad that Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott are willing to be patient, and won't throw Araiza to the wolves, because it's uncomfortable answering these types of questions from reporters.

Again.  There is nothing wrong with waiting for the facts.

Ok fine, I don’t think a rookie punter is worth the Risk to the rest of the team.  But at minimum he should be sent home today, and kept away from team and team activities till the matter is settled.  Even if that means you have to eat an extra roster spot for awhile.

Edited by Billsflyer12
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

Another way to look at it is that the Bills did their due diligence and made a decision based on better information than what we have.  

I mean, maybe they screwed it up.  It's certainly been known to happen.  But there's literally no harm in reserving judgement for the time being.

It's amusing many of the people who chime in on a topic like this and want to see immediate punishment.....are the same people who say "Judge not" when they are questioned about anything 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Oh please. Get the facts right. 

A young woman was beaten and bloodied by 3-5 men on the football team. The next day went to the hospital. 

In understand some people want to whitewash this because it’s the Bills.  But your boiling down of the situation is disrespectful. 

And you know exactly who was in that room?  Doesnt even sound like she does.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Even if said “child” looked like an adult and lied and said she was an adult on a college campus where plenty freshman/sophomore woman look just like her? Hang him cause he didn’t verify ID? You sir are a scumbag to judge other people based of BS like that. You must be mr perfect that got everything right or some loser who didn’t get any action around that age and totally have no idea what goes on! You know how many people in this thread were lied to by underage woman?? Totally absolve the liar and blame the person who took their word for it???

Tou are what’s wrong with America and I can pretty much guess what News station you watch!

It’s time for you and I to go our separate ways. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Of all the bad takes I’ve ever seen, congrats on taking the prize for worst of all time. 

Sometimes I’m really glad I only get to interact with some of you mouth breathers over the internet and not in person. 

And I broke the rule of name calling. I’ll take a time out if needed but some of you are truly disgusting humans. 

You don't even know me. I'm just saying for someone that says she was roofied and in and out of consciousness during the act so she is still saying right now she doesn't know everything that happened but yet remembers being alert right afterwards that she was raped. I wanna be clear here, of Araiza is guilty of this, I hope he rots in prison. I don't know if you think I'm in favor of what he is being accused of but I'm not

Edited by Buffalo03

1 minute ago, Mango said:

One of the most chilling thing about this is how cold my better half is about it. In that it is so believable. I had her look at this thread a bit and she just sort of shrugged and said "that is what it is like to be a woman". Reporting gang rape and hordes of strangers saying you are liar is common place, she just continues to poor a new cup of coffee. Her casualness just sort of rocked me.

I just find it so gross and bone chilling. The older I get the more I admire the resiliency and strength it takes to just exist as a woman. By comparison I am a total bum and all women are super hero's as far as I am concerned.  

I recommend to everybody on this board with important females in their lives to start doing a lot more listening to what it is like. 

No one here is denying that happened....it's whether or not he had anything to do with it/was there 

1 hour ago, Eastside Oasis said:

This says differently.  3 years is the magic number, but I'm sure that will be part of the legal arguments.

This point was discussed quite a bit early in the thread. 

Despite what the lawyer being interviewed said, there are multiple law firms online who break  down the law differently.

"Mistake in age" is also a defense in California, if the alleged perpetrator has reason to believe the victim is over 18, it is "up to" the prosecutors to prove he should have known she was under the age of consent.

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/blog/mistake-of-age-defense/

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/penal-code/261-5/

There are three circumstances that determine how the offense will be charged and what the potential penalties are:

If you are no more than three (3) years older than the alleged victim, violating PC 261.5 is always a misdemeanor.15

If you are more than three (3) years older than the alleged victim, the offense may be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony.16
AND

If you are twenty-one (21) or older and the alleged victim is under sixteen (16) at the time the intercourse occurs, you also face either a misdemeanor or a felony…but the potential felony penalties are steeper than in the situation described in #2, above.17

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I'm not so sure about that - I would imagine there are a number of players who today are looking sideways at the dude like wtf - and would not care (or even welcome) if the the Bills just moved on from him.  They are focused on winning the SB - I'm sure some are not thrilled about the distraction

If you ever thought the Beasley vaxx situation had an impact on the slooooooow start this team had in 2021, this has the potential to be that x100. At least with Beasley you had a guy with a valuable skill-set who contributed in past years to your success. Not only is Araiza unproven in meaningful pro games, some might even argue the punter is relatively replaceable in most circumstances.

Beane & McDermott should be amassing a group of the team leaders and interacting over this. In the end, if your players want no part of this circus, then get on the horn to some other punters and let this guy focus on his personal issues.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3

19 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

the ol' its partially her fault she got raped. Good job

That wasn't said at all.. But Matt may have had consensual sex with the woman he beleived was 18 based off info she fed him.
The rape could of happened afterwards and Matt was not involved

If she was raped at a college party with lots of people is he resposible for her custody after a consensual relationship.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Bills fan legal analysis is fun. Glad Araiza is traveling and hopefully playing tonight. No silly “indefinite suspension” appeaser is warranted at this point.

And they can't do anything the League,  unless he's charged. It's a civil case and it happened before the draft.  Against the CBA to punish him at this time. 

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It's not as if Araiza blew Haack away. It was close in camp. Haack is a seasoned vet, was immediately picked up after getting cut. I don't see how any guy off the street is as good or better than him.

So what does this tell you about the information that the Bills have at their disposal?  

Araiza is a 6th round pick, and he plays (arguably) the least important position in the NFL.  It's not as if the Bills are highly invested in the guy or anything.  If Haack had "won" the punting job, a lot of us would have been disappointed but nobody would have seriously second-guessed that decision.  There's really very little incentive for the team to retain a guy who they have serious doubts about, so the fact that they chose to retain him sends a signal that I should pay attention to.  

But this is all speculative, because I imagine we'll learn more about what happened over the next few days.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Process said:

I'm really surprised the bills are playing him tonight. Not saying cut him immediately...let all the facts come out etc etc. But he's a punter and it's a meaningless preseason game....just sit him. 

Seems so unlike mcbeane.

They don’t have a good choice.  Check out one of my recent earlier posts.  Either nuke the guy on a moment’s notice (maybe, just maybe, this is all BS, although I doubt that), or nuke someone else who deserves the chance to make tape to they can bring in another punter, or have Bass or another currently rostered player punt (stupid and absurd, respectively), or just don’t punt at all (could hurt a bunch of guys trying to make ST tape).  It’s an awful situation from a football perspective.  And a much worse one from a life perspective. 

6 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Ok fine, I don’t think a rookie punter is worth the Risk to the rest of the team.  But at minimum he should be sent home today, and kept away from team and team activities till the matter is settled.  Even if that means you have to eat an extra roster spot for awhile.

But a MVP Quarterback would be worth the risk?