Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

Just now, UKBillFan said:

The key thing is the Bills we’re aware of this at the end of July, carried out an internal investigation and still decided to cut Haack over Araiza. They think they know something we don’t know and, like I said last night, they’re staking the culture and process on it. For their sakes, they better be right.

And the risk to that for Bills is not worth the value of a punter.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

In the allegation, they were two different occurrences. The sex alleged to have happened outside. And the rape alleged to have happened inside. The allegation is that Araiza was the one that brought her to the room to be raped. 

If your strategy is to put media pressure on Araiza, you can't contradict yourself and you don't take your foot off the gas. If he doesn't do any media interviews today, he's doing her and her story a great disservice. Hopefully some national expert lawyers in these types of cases are paying attention and reaching out to her. 

18 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

This news broke way longer than hours ago. It's been out there for a few months. 

I read an article about this story in July because a random post on twitter linked a LA Times article with a Matt Araiza hashtag.

I was surprised it didn't get mentioned here sooner.

I guess I should have said "national news".  I'm surprised it took this long to go "viral".

I guess we just sit back and wait to see what unfolds from now.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

If the Bills want to get rid of him without wading into innocent or guilty, they can just say he didn’t disclose this pre-draft and they felt misled. I kind of hope this is what they do.

Problem is they’ve already released a press release stating that an investigation has been done. Something else will have to come out for them to go down the misled route, especially if, for the moment, the majority of the roster support the stance taken.

According to the lawsuit, the plaintiff has friends there with her who can testify that she was in a room with her rapists for 90 minutes and that she reported being raped immediately before leaving the party.  If they back up that story, that would be enough to put me in the "cut him" camp.  If not, there's nothing here.  

I'm not seeing a reason to rush to judgement either way.  We're going to find out in short order what the evidence shows.

41 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Or look at it another way. The girl goes to the hospital and gets a rape kit done seven months ago. And the police don't give her the results. She waits, and waits. And the only thing she can think is that the police are covering for star football players.

Then one of them gets drafted into the NFL. Still no results. Then he gets named the starter...

Sure, this could all be a "money grab." But Araiza's attorney is saying that at least one of the other players may be charged. 

Which is why I said let's see how this plays out, and that I don't assume innocence.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Oh please. Get the facts right. 

A young woman was beaten and bloodied by 3-5 men on the football team. The next day went to the hospital. 

In understand some people want to whitewash this because it’s the Bills.  But your boiling down of the situation is disrespectful. 

Fine, but those aren't the facts either.  So you're also not operating on the facts.

Letting it all play out as it should.

Just now, UKBillFan said:

A punter is still a human being. Decisions being made shouldn’t be based on the role on the team.

The more you see into the personal lives of college football players, the more that you have to wonder if "human being" is the right classification...

• Eyeroll 2

Just now, BillsFanSD said:

According to the lawsuit, the plaintiff has friends there with her who can testify that she was in a room with her rapists for 90 minutes and that she reported being raped immediately before leaving the party.  If they back up that story, that would be enough to put me in the "cut him" camp.  If not, there's nothing here.  

I'm not seeing a reason to rush to judgement either way.  We're going to find out in short order what the evidence shows.

My biggest question is how did Araiza and the other 2 get tied to this rape? The girl says she didn’t know what was happening and how many there were.

Someone had to have told her who the guys were.

1 minute ago, pocoboy said:

The more you see into the personal lives of college football players, the more that you have to wonder if "human being" is the right classification...

Maybe I should say a punter should be treated no different to any other position on the team.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

She claimed she was roofied and in and out of consciousness during the rape, however she remembers being alert enough right after the rape to come out of the room and tell a friend she was raped? Crazy she was too incapacitated when the rape happened but remembers clearly as soon as it ended

She did have that 90-120 minutes of being raped to sober up somewhat. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Even if he is 100% innocent, the distraction and media circus that this is already is reason enough for me to cut a punter. 

If this was Josh right now I would want him on Commissioner Except list immediately.

How the Bills and league handle these things doesn’t seem difficult to me, yet they both still continue to screw this up.

I 100% guarantee your stance on that changes if you or someone close to you ever gets falsely accused of a serious crime.  I don't care if it's an All Pro QB, "just a punter", the waterboy, or a homeless man in the street, innocent is innocent and you don't ruin their life over a single unproven allegation.

Are you seriously going to tell me you're fine giving up your job or life's work if I were to randomly make a claim against you?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

It feels like to me that the alleged victim’s attorney has a real issue with Araiza’s attorney. And he’s making a big thing about money, in the tweets and published texts, if it has nothing to do with it! Not saying you’re wrong but, in my mind, he’s letting his client down badly at the moment.

A civil suit is about money, and that's ok.  His client also filed a police report and pretty obviously wants to press charges, she wants him held accountable in all the ways that are possible.

Just now, Ta111 said:

I don’t know why so many are calling for his release when we don’t know what happened. Remember the Duke Lacrosse case? Let it play out and when the facts are determined a decision will be made.

Because most people are programmed by the News Media.  All it takes is one story to come out. Then a blue check twitter person makes a comment on it and suddenly you have thousands of parrots everywhere waving whatever new flag they're supposed to 

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

My biggest question is how did Araiza and the other 2 get tied to this rape? The girl says she didn’t know what was happening and how many there were.

Someone had to have told her who the guys were.

Apparently Arazias Ex Team mates