Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

I think this should put to rest the theory that the locker room would be torn apart it they got rid of him and didn't "back the player innocent until proven guilty"

Agreed.

People actually thought that? The guy has been on the team for a few months. On top of that, players these days understand the NFL is a BUSINESS. The situation sucks all around but at the end of the day the locker room and definitely coach McDermott based on his press conference will be much better off mentally if they part ways from Araiza.

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

I've taken a half dozen polygraph tests and lied throughout and passed. They're easy to fool. 

LOL. What the heck kind of trouble are you finding yourself in? 

Few thoughts

• I don’t really care if a 21 y/o had CONSENSUAL sex with a 17 y/o from a criminal standpoint (I get the 17 y/o can’t legally consent argument)

• The bills REALLY must like the way this guy punts to even have him on the team at this point

•  Not worth keeping around, too much of a headache.  He’s the type of guy that sleeps with 17 y/os (possibly worse) 

• They were probably done with haack either way. 

Edited by Shortchaz

He's gone, after seeing McDermott's press conference. I know he says he wants to do more work, but he clearly was not given a full picture of what happened and learned new information along with the rest of us. 

As for @wppete's disgusting comment above. Kim is recovering from a serious health issue that had her in intensive care for quite a while. Thanks for reminding me where the ignore button is, your comments about her expose you as a troubled person, you should do some work on yourself.

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

you may be correct, but then I think McD has unrealistic thoughts about what sort of investigation the team can do.  Without criminal charges this is still a he-she said because there is nothing from the police investigation.  Perhaps McD should have asked the police to release the tapes, etc.  

I wrote up some thoughts I had on this topic in another post.  Probably not as coherent as I think it is, but have a gander.

37 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

It's all over the media that he's already admitted he had sex with an underage girl. So consent won't matter. Basically he's already committed a crime! I don't understand this discussion at this point? He has to to go, and the Bills need to find a decent punter. When the Colts immediately signed Haack when he was released, I knew there weren't many good punters out there....A punter is not a QB, but they aren't nothing.... Bills need to clean this up pronto! n .   

1. Its not that clear cut for the law in California. Especially if she lied about her age.

2. 21 year olds legally have sex with 17 year olds in NY all the time. If we think its so gross and illegal in California, why is it legal here? Maybe we should tone down the rhetoric until we have all the facts. That doesn't mean he is let off the hook, it means cool down for a second.

The age of consent for sexual relations in New York is 17 years old, meaning until a person turns 17, they cannot legally consent to sexual activity. A person who has sexual activity with someone younger than 17 can be charged with a sex crime. (More information on these crimes is below.)

Edited by What a Tuel

1 hour ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

There is one more terrible scenario out there.

The Bills knew and still drafted him!

THAT would be horrible and disgusting and defeat EVERY word out of McD’s mouth about character and culture.

I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS HAPPENED!

But, I certainly want McD and the GM to say that they were misled and the info never, ever came up!

And pronto!

I'm starting to think McDermott found out about these allegations 6pm last night. Same time we all did. Just because someone within the Bills organization was told about these allegation back in July doesn't mean that someone was necessarily McDermott. In fact I would doubt the chain of command would be for that information to got to McDermott first. It would probably got to Beane first I am thinking, Then it is up to Beane on whether he shares it with McDermott or the Pegula's. Maybe Beane shares with the Pegula's and the three of them agree it's best to not share with McDermott or maybe not give McDermott all the details. It was interesting that McDermott said in his press conference today that there were definitely some new pieces of information that came out in the last 24hrs that he was not previously aware of.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

theres worry in me that we have the sweetest situation ever and there could be tension between beane and mcd, but i think thats paranoia and bills ptsd creeping in. Beane would be delegating the investigatiob out to a specialized employee(s), and making his decision based on that info with mcd. I think someone in that office is about to have the worst meeting of their life, and a box to put their chitt in.

Bingo. Beane either never relayed the full investigation findings to McDermott or worst yet never relayed any of the findings to McDermott. And the emotions that McDermott showed in the press conference and the fact that the one question he did not skirt and instead answered was one regarding finding out new information in the last 24hrs could point to riff where McDermott was left in the dark.

4 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I'm starting to think McDermott found out about these allegations 6pm last night. Same time we all did. Just because someone within the Bills organization was told about these allegation back in July doesn't mean that someone was necessarily McDermott. In fact I would doubt the chain of command would be for that information to got to McDermott first. It would probably got to Beane first I am thinking, Then it is up to Beane on whether he shares it with McDermott or the Pegula's. Maybe Beane shares with the Pegula's and the three of them agree it's best to not share with McDermott or maybe not give McDermott all the details. It was interesting that McDermott said in his press conference today that there were definitely some new pieces of information that came out in the last 24hrs that he was not previously aware of.

I find it hard to believe the Head Coach, going into his 6th season, was not kept in the loop.  Especially when the decision of whether or not they cut Haak was on the table.  To put the coach in that position is really unprofessional.   He had to know the same amount as the rest of upper management.   To not include him would be a huge issue with the organization.

What he learned in the last 36 hours may be something we, the public, do not know about as of yet. 

2 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Someone lied to him is what I think. 

Agreed. And I don't think it was just Araiza. 

1 minute ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I find it hard to believe the Head Coach, going into his 6th season, was not kept in the loop.  Especially when the decision of whether or not they cut Haak was on the table.  To put the coach in that position is really unprofessional.   He had to know the same amount as the rest of upper management.   To not include him would be a huge issue with the organization.

What he learned in the last 36 hours may be something we, the public, do not know about as of yet. 

It would be wild for sure. 

1 minute ago, BillsfaninSB said:

They didn't know. It's the simplest answer. There's no hidden info stashed away. They found out when we did.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

It's all over the media that he's already admitted he had sex with an underage girl. So consent won't matter. Basically he's already committed a crime! I don't understand this discussion at this point? He has to to go, and the Bills need to find a decent punter. When the Colts immediately signed Haack when he was released, I knew there weren't many good punters out there....A punter is not a QB, but they aren't nothing.... Bills need to clean this up pronto! n .   

There is no “consent” when someone is underaged. It’s rape, period.

If what you say is true then cut this POS and sign the best free agent possible. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Why was Araiza allowed on the trip? Why wasn’t he just sent home at some point of Friday?

Was there an assumption he was going to dress and play by someone in the organization (Beane?) and McDermott said no, it’s his decision who to dress or not dress? Could that be some of the stress McDermott is dealing with?

I didn’t hear any of the pressers so maybe that was addressed. If so, disregard that theory.

Will we hear from Beane or is he going to continue to let his coach jump on this hand grenade while McD clearly has more important things to worry about like getting his team ready for the season?

This flat out stinks. 

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Muppy at some point the Bills are going to have to start answering questions. 

"We have work to do" isn't going to cut it

They have to start answering questions on timelines and what did they know and when did they know it ?

If they don't the press is going to start circling like sharks around a bloody kill.

It will only get worse from here 

Actually they won't have to answer any of those questions. The problem goes away as soon as they release Araiza. They'll have one press conference after the release where McDermott basically gives all the same answers he did today and then that will be it. He will say:  "I'm not going to get into what we knew and when. I'll just say some new information came up recently (which he already admitted today). And in light of that new information, as an organization we have decided it is best to move on from Matt. And we are going to leave it at that."

Case closed. Time to get ready for the Rams.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Actually they won't have to answer any of those questions. The problem goes away as soon as they release Araiza. They'll have one press conference after the release where McDermott basically gives all the same answers he did today and then that will be it. He will say:  "I'm not going to get into what we knew and when. I'll just say some new information came up recently (which he already admitted today). And in light of that new information, as an organization we have decided it is best to move on from Matt. And we are going to leave it at that."

Case closed. Time to get ready for the Rams.

That needs to happen in short order. Enough of this nonsense.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

They didn't know. It's the simplest answer. There's no hidden info stashed away. They found out when we did.

It seems to me they knew more than zero.  Coach made it sound like he was not oblivious to the incident prior to Thursday at the post game press conference.

Q. How much did you learn in the last 24 hours that you didn’t already know?

SM: “I would say there’s been some, and I’m not going to deny that, and that’s why I have more work to do on this."

I’m not mad at the Bills for taking some  time to understand where they stood with Matt.   But cutting the punter not accused of rape just doesn’t add up. 

7 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

It seems to me they knew more than zero.  Coach made it sound like he was not oblivious to the incident prior to Thursday at the post game press conference.

Q. How much did you learn in the last 24 hours that you didn’t already know?

SM: “I would say there’s been some, and I’m not going to deny that, and that’s why I have more work to do on this."

I’m not mad at the Bills for taking some  time to understand where they stood with Matt.   But cutting the punter not accused of rape just doesn’t add up. 

It does if they weren't aware of what Araiza was accused of doing.

3 hours ago, bobobonators said:

At this point it’s not about guilt or innocence. Its about what’s best for the team. Let the courts decide guilt or innocence. Let the Bills play football. Cut the punter. 

100%

A lot of folks yesterday were chiming in about how you have to be on the players side. Wait for the legal process to play out, innocent until proven guilty. And how just because he's a rookie punter who has been on the team for a little over three months doesn't mean he deserves any less treatment than our $258 million QB who has meant so much for the Buffalo community and fan base over the last FIVE years.

I think for those same posters reality might be starting to set in after McDermott's press conference. Anyone who watched it could tell it was damn near killing McDermott. For McDermott's health, Araiza has to go. 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

They didn't have anything. They found out when we did.

Doesn't this point to a lack of communication within leadership? They say they knew, but apparently didn't know? Who knew and who didn't? 

I was under the assumption that the FO was all on the same page...

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

Doesn't this point to a lack of communication within leadership? They say they knew, but apparently didn't know? Who knew and who didn't? 

I was under the assumption that the FO was all on the same page...

Nothing about this ordeal has given me a lot of confidence in the front office. Previously I thought they were bulletproof.

3 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Could be something like they spoke to a witness, who has since recanted a favorable belief on araiza. does seem like something changed in a hurry.

mcd didnt keep this dude around for 6 weeks, and then realize at press conference that the squeeze isnt worth the juice. something changed quick imo

Yeah he lied to them. Thats my guess

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Nothing about this ordeal has given me a lot of confidence in the front office. Previously I thought they were bulletproof.

Bulletproof? Peterman. PED Murphy. Domestic Dodson. Vontae Davis. And now this...

They have been better than most but they have had some colossal blunders too. Worst QB in league history.  Guy quit at half-time.  Signed a PED cheat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Bulletproof? Peterman. PED Murphy. Domestic Dodson. Vontae Davis. And now this...

They have been better than most but they have had some colossal blunders too. Worst QB in league history.  Guy quit at half-time.  Signed a PED cheat.

It's not that they don't make mistakes. It's that there seems to possibly have been a big miscommunication or someone holding information back.

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This is all those wrapped up x10. Doesn't even compare tbh

Just now, LeGOATski said:

It's not that they don't make mistakes. It's that there seems to possibly have been a big miscommunication or someone holding information back.

Yeah Araiza lied to them. Their investigation probably consisted of talking to him and maybe trying to get some inside info from the police. They surely did not speak to the victim. 

If Beane did not tell McDermott then this is a much much bigger story. I highly doubt that is the case but holy hell that would be a bombshell. 

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

This is all those wrapped up x10. Doesn't even compare tbh

100% agree. Just making the case they were far from perfect before this

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Yeah Araiza lied to them. Their investigation probably consisted of talking to him and maybe trying to get some inside info from the police. They surely did not speak to the victim. 

If Beane did not tell McDermott then this is a much much bigger story. I highly doubt that is the case but holy hell that would be a bombshell. 

100% agree. Just making the case they were far from perfect before this

They were about as good as you could ask for prior to this.

9 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

If you draft Josh and trade for Diggs the rest is almost negligible. However the Wyatt teller trade and drafting Ford, trying to trade for AB, in addition to what you’ve listed proves they’re capable of major mistakes. 

3 hours ago, Turk71 said:

The Bills never spoke with her attorney. He contacted them twice and they completely ignored him, never got back to him.

Their 'thorough' investigation had no input whatsoever from the victim or her attorney.

this is not true. They had one phone call with her attorney and an email detailing the accusation. They did not speak to the victim but likely cause that’s a risky situation considering you don’t want to interfere in a criminal investigation.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They have made a couple mistakes, no front office is perfect. Did you actually expect them to hit on everything they do? What they have done good FAR outweighs the bad

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Bingo. Beane either never relayed the full investigation findings to McDermott or worst yet never relayed any of the findings to McDermott. And the emotions that McDermott showed in the press conference and the fact that the one question he did not skirt and instead answered was one regarding finding out new information in the last 24hrs could point to riff where McDermott was left in the dark.

Or Beane never knew about it himself

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

They have made a couple mistakes, no front office is perfect. Did you actually expect them to hit on everything they do? What they have done good FAR outweighs the bad

Every FO makes mistakes. People seem to want to lump it all together. This isn't simply about making mistakes, though. This raises questions about the integrity of the FO. Up until now, despite their mistakes, the FO has seemed to operate with the upmost integrity.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Every FO makes mistakes. People seem to want to lump it all together. This isn't simply about making mistakes, though. This raises questions about the integrity of the FO. Up until now, despite their mistakes, the FO has seemed to operate with the upmost integrity.

They may not have known about it when they drafted him and up until yesterday may not have known how bad everything was. I see no reason why they would out of the blue just pick Araiza in the draft with the intention of "let's just keep this between ourselves". I don't think they operate like that

Edited by Buffalo03

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

There is no “consent” when someone is underaged. It’s rape, period.

If what you say is true then cut this POS and sign the best free agent possible. 

Normally I would agree with this but they are on a college campus, she said she went to the name of a college (which was also a name of a high school) and it's not like she is 15 she probably looked the same age as everyone else at that party. So it's ok if she is a few months older (18) but it's rape and let's lock him up and throw away the key because she's a few months younger? He was 21, they probably look to be around the same age. If a senior can't date a freshmen (same age difference) then probably every single one of my college friends would be in jail right now. And even then, under California law it's only a misdemeanor. It's not as cut and dry as you are suggesting in this particular instance 

27 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Normally I would agree with this but they are on a college campus, she said she went to the name of a college (which was also a name of a high school) and it's not like she is 15 she probably looked the same age as everyone else at that party. So it's ok if she is a few months older (18) but it's rape and let's lock him up and throw away the key because she's a few months younger? He was 21, they probably look to be around the same age. If a senior can't date a freshmen (same age difference) then probably every single one of my college friends would be in jail right now. And even then, under California law it's only a misdemeanor. It's not as cut and dry as you are suggesting in this particular instance 

Yeah at this point that is his best case scenario. I mean if you have a boyfriend and girlfriend who are both 17 at the time. However, the boyfriend is technically older. Is it still considered rape the moment he turns 18 while his girlfriend is still 17. Under California law that would appear to be the case.

Whatever the reason Matt needs to step away from football and handle his personal situation. It is bad enough he did end up sleeping with a minor. Even worse if he was involved in the alleged gang rape of this woman. So I am in the camp of releasing him and not have this situation drag into the season.