Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

After seeing how the team looked tonight and watching McDermott's presser I have done a complete 180 and come around to this view. It just isn't worth it. It will hang over the team for the whole season and I can't even imagine what the Ralph will be like whenever he comes out to punt. I'm not going to assume he's guilty of anything, the case will play itself out, but for right now let him go and if he is found to be completely innocent we can bring him back in the future.

It’s the only move. We have a Super Bowl roster and this is a distraction. I mean whats the other choice..you firmly back Matt 100 percent by his word and let him punt all season, Mcd himself made that call last night as it didn’t feel right with him.

Mcd needs to have the Guys dialed in   and ready to go in over a week. I have no doubt that will be the case but in every instance where something  new pops up regarding this you know the media won’t stop with Mcd. Every player who takes the mic is going to be asked about it. 

Its unfortunate for every one involved  but Punt God is now being known as Rape God. Clearly the Lawyers are trying this case on twitter and the Bills are now enablers. 

I don’t know what and when Mcd knew but I hope Beane didn’t know more than he led Mcd to believe . 

Also I’m not one who will pass guilt on Matt nor just brush off the girl Involved.. this is all just horrible and let’s see where this goes.. but from a distance. 

My thoughts are from a football team standpoint only. 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They can cut him just like any player. 

Unlike any player, that could subject the Bills to a grievance from Araiza's side/NFLPA. I'm not in favor of cutting him if he did nothing wrong. The Bills' FO needs to get it's ***** together, because the actions of drafting him and naming him the starter are contradictory to their actions last night. Something is wrong there.

3 hours ago, Beast said:

Pre-season is over and we have the drama of a punter hanging over us heading into what we hope is a special season.

A ***** punter.

Not just “A ***** punter”. Araiza is the Ray Guy Award winner for being the nation’s top college punter. He is truly a phenomenal sports wonder with his never-before-seen kicking of a football. Repeat; Never-Before-Seen. The evidence made available so far shows the young woman in question wasn’t completely honest about her age at the time and level of schooling, while claiming she consented to sex with Araiza. He hasn’t been -and it is more than conceivable he won’t be- criminally charged in this purported horrendous event from 10 months ago. Should this come to pass, he WILL be punting in the NFL - for Some team..

• Agree 1

The best solution for the Bills and Araiza himself would be Matt asks to be cut out of respect for the franchise and with the understanding that it does not represent a belief of guilt. The Bills have painted themselves into a corner - if they released him on Tuesday instead of Haack they could have dressed it up as based on experience and, whilst there would have been a debate about once the news leaked, the Bills wouldn’t have had to get involved or stuck to that reason.

Instead they cut Haack, release a statement which basically backs Araiza, and then let the weight of the situation fall on top of them. And then we have a situation where there appears to have been information held back from McDermott, either by Araiza, his attorney and/or the front office. McDermott make it clear by refusing to answer the question put to him that he feels lied to by one or more people.

Cutting him now is the easy way out but is also too late. It might be the Bills are trying to find out a way of doing so without Araiza or his attorney claiming that he has been tried and found guilty by the Bills, which could either cause problems with the NFL PA or possibly some of the players - something which may have been suggested before, as I haven’t read every page, but what if the dressing room leaders have spoken to Araiza about the situation and back him?

It’s a messy situation and shouldn’t have been allowed, from a front office point of view, to get this far. I appreciate supporting those accused as it should always be a case of innocent before proven guilty. But the statement painted them into a corner where they now have little room to manoeuvre.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

11 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Unlike any player, that could subject the Bills to a grievance from Araiza's side/NFLPA. I'm not in favor of cutting him if he did nothing wrong. The Bills' FO needs to get it's ***** together, because the actions of drafting him and naming him the starter are contradictory to their actions last night. Something is wrong there.

I think there is tension between Beane and McDermott on how to deal with the situation.
Beane is of the mind to back the support the internal investigation, back Araiza on the basis of innocent until proven guilty and let him play on on that basis.
McDermott believes the internal investigation missed/was unable to pick up some key points and/or one or more people have been holding back information from him, is uncomfortable with the allegations and wants to cut Araiza and move on.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I think there is tension between Beane and McDermott on how to deal with the situation.
Beane is of the mind to back the support the internal investigation, back Araiza on the basis of innocent until proven guilty and let him play on on that basis.
McDermott believes the internal investigation missed/was unable to pick up some key points and/or one or more people have been holding back information from him, is uncomfortable with the allegations and wants to cut Araiza and move on.

I wouldn't try to speak for Beane or McDermott, but it's clear that something is off.

• Agree 1

Can anyone explain to me why the Bills "should of" contacted the plaintiff? What information would they actually glean from it? Obviously her lawyer is going to claim Araiza is the scumbag who did so regardless of the truth of the matter. Additionally depending on how Araiza's side framed the allegations; the Bills may have deemed it more or less a frivolous lawsuit based on hearsay. (Not in so much regard that she wasn't raped as much as Araiza not being involved) After all the Bills aren't the police and since the police hadn't begun any investigation why would the Bills feel the need to investigate something the cops weren't? 

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Normally I would agree with this but they are on a college campus, she said she went to the name of a college (which was also a name of a high school) and it's not like she is 15 she probably looked the same age as everyone else at that party. So it's ok if she is a few months older (18) but it's rape and let's lock him up and throw away the key because she's a few months younger? He was 21, they probably look to be around the same age. If a senior can't date a freshmen (same age difference) then probably every single one of my college friends would be in jail right now. And even then, under California law it's only a misdemeanor. It's not as cut and dry as you are suggesting in this particular instance 

So, what you are saying is that if she was 18 or older that would negate GANG RAPE? 

Rape is rape regardless of the age of the victim !!!

• Dislike 1

Just now, cd1 said:

So, what you are saying is that if she was 18 or older that would negate GANG RAPE? 

The post is clearly referring to the potential charge of statutory rape - nothing more than that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, cd1 said:

You should take the time to read and comprehend better before screaming at someone.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Why do we not have the usual video of the post-game press conference?

7 hours ago, Draconator said:

I fully expect this thread to be 250 pages when I wake up in the morning. 

Don't disappoint me

You won't like me if I'm disappointed.

😡😡😡😡😡 😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡  😡😡😡😡😡 

5 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

If he is found innocent do you think he will want to go to a team that cut him and didnt believe his story? He would probably hatevthe organization for not believing his story and potentially costing him his career.

Oh well. Then go play for someone else.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, That's No Moon said:

Oh well. Then go play for someone else.

Yep, who gives a damn eh? Guilty before proven innocent and all that.

I have to admit, I am all over the place with this. Think my feeling is we should have cut him on ‘experience’ grounds over Haack but, as we stood by him then, we should continue to do so on grounds that he has not yet been charged or found guilty UNLESS something has been revealed which was deliberately kept from us, has been proven to be true, and is detrimental to Araiza’s case. In that case we should cut and move on.

2 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I can't believe I'm seeing people slam Sean McDermott on here this morning. That is a man who is suffering, angry, and deeply committed to doing the right thing.

What do you mean? From what I've seen, people seem to be pretty sympathetic towards him.

There are loads of comments here so if this was already mentioned in some way, I apologize for the redundancy.

Araiza's lawyer said that Matt acknowledged that he didn't think that this would go anywhere until the Times article came out.

That is enough of a confession of enough wrongdoing to me to cut him, and to cut him TODAY.

• Haha (+1) 1

I’ve seen enough, I hope the Bills cut Araiza immediately. 

It would helpful if Kim Pegula, Brandon Beane and McDermott would conduct a thorough and soul bearing (and soul cleansing) press conference. A mea Culpa that makes it clear that mistakes were made and they want the team and fans to know these matters will be taken seriously. 

On the football side, I’m curious who is available to punt. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

There are loads of comments here so if this was already mentioned in some way, I apologize for the redundancy.

Araiza's lawyer said that Matt acknowledged that he didn't think that this would go anywhere until the Times article came out.

That is enough of a confession of enough wrongdoing to me to cut him, and to cut him TODAY.

can you elaborate or provide a link?

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I have to admit, I am all over the place with this. Think my feeling is we should have cut him on ‘experience’ grounds over Haack but, as we stood by him then, we should continue to do so on grounds that he has not yet been charged or found guilty UNLESS something has been revealed which was deliberately kept from us, has been proven to be true, and is detrimental to Araiza’s case. In that case we should cut and move on.

You have to decide which side you'd rather be wrong on. That's the side I chose. 

1 minute ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

How’s that a confession of wrongdoing? Surely, if anything, it suggests he thought there was nothing to answer until the Times published their article?

5 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

What Ariaza said to the accuser is more than enough to cut him. 

3 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Was this something in the lawsuit?

ETA - You mean the telephone call? Don’t think there is anything in there which is bad enough to suggest being cut without hearing the defence first.

Edited by UKBillFan

1 minute ago, Max Fischer said:

what was that?

And so far we have nothing but an account from the accuser, right? Have the SCU detectives/DA released the conversation? Has Araiza laid out his timeline and details of the events?

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

People need to understand cutting Araiza isn't that simple in regards to the NFLPA. My guess is they wait until Kern or another punter comes available and then they just swap him out. 

sure it is. What do you find complicated about it?

I don’t think they need to race to do it before they feel they have a grasp on situation. I’m sure they are reviewing all we see, and likely some we don’t know about yet. But they could cut him literally whenever they want with regards to the nflpa.

What is the worst consequence? They cant pursue his signing bonus?

Edited by NoSaint

Just now, NoSaint said:

sure it is. What do you find complicated about it?

I don’t think they need to race to do it before they feel they have a grasp on situation. I’m sure they are reviewing all we see, and likely some we don’t know about yet. But they could cut him literally whenever they want with regards to the nflpa

If we do cut, I presume it will be on Tuesday when we name the 53 man squad, so it isn’t separate or stands out from the rest? And then pick up someone on waivers, possibly whoever Tennessee decides to release.

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

You have to decide which side you'd rather be wrong on. That's the side I chose. 

Why does anyone need to “pick a side” before the facts are known?  If the facts show that Araiza had consensual sex at a college party with a girl he thought was 18 and played no part in any alleged assault, does he deserve to lose his job?

I don’t understand the need to rush to judgment.  From what I’ve read, I think both of the lawyers involved have acted pretty terribly.

• Agree 5

8 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Was this something in the lawsuit?

Yes.

At the request of police, she made pretext calls — recorded by detectives — with the men named in the lawsuit whom police “had determined were present in the room when the rape occurred.” Araiza, the complaint alleged, confirmed on a call in late October that they had sex and recommended she get tested for a sexually transmitted disease. Later in the conversation, she asked him, “And did we have actual sex?” Araiza allegedly changed his tone and replied, “This is Matt Araiza. I don’t remember anything that happened that night.”

San Diego police detectives guided the young woman during her pretext calls, a Times review of text messages shows. The woman’s attorney, Daniel Gilleon, said police have not provided recordings of those calls or his client’s police report. The results of the rape exam have also not been disclosed, he said.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-08-25/nfl-matt-araiza-sdsu-football-players-accused-rape-lawsuit