Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

6 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Hate stuff like this. If he were a regular joe blow making minimum wage, would there be a lawsuit at all? 

The timing highly questionable with it coming right after he secured an nfl career (when Haack was cut).

Not enough for him to be arrested even when investigators heard him say he had sex with her…yet now it’s a money grab thing.

Again if he was working at 7/11, there is no lawsuit and his reputation remains in tact.

She went to the cops a day later when he was in college. This is a bad take. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

We have more attorneys then Morgan and  Morgan on this board

Cellino and Barnes

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

She named three people. It is alleged five raped her. Ever stop to think the police are attempting to identify those other two males?

You don't want to put tis girl through multiple trials if true.

Yeah, that's not how it works. The 3 known people would have been arrested and charged. No way that they wouldn't squeal on the other two people, either out of just being an idiot and talking to the cops, or as part of some deal offering. They don't just wait for every single person to be ID'd before doing anything at all, especially in a gang rape case which could potentially be charged as a capital crime (unlikely but possible).

But I will say yes, you could be right. Not really saying you're not, just that with my time in the CJ world, that's been my experience with how things usually develop. Either way, awful as hell all around.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Araiza’s Defense Attorney claims to have witnesses saying something different. If it is open and shut you have to wonder why we’re ten months in without criminal proceedings commencing and that’s something which will surely turn the heat up under the state department and the college in particular.

Again so everyone understands and not just you it takes an insanely long time to build a criminal rape case and they are very very hard to prosecute

• Like (+1) 1

This is tough. He's going to be a great player. That means you need to be sure you're making the right roster move. 

Let's not lose sight of what actually matters. The truth. If the Bills truly believe this is a money grab, then the right thing to do is stand by him. If they truly believe he did it, or there's shadiness around his story, then the right move is to cut him. 

McDermott is a man of God. If they stick by Araiza now, then I truly believe they feel he is innocent. We're not the Browns or Dolphins. 

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

I wonder if other teams knew of this and did not draft him.   His lawyer says Ariaza is targeted because he is a Buffalo Bill, not a doubt in his mind....yet the other accsued on nobody's on the team still...nice try

Araiza was talked about like the best punter ever. There were talks of him going in as high as the 2nd round.

He was then the 3rd punter off the board.

No doubt in my mind teams knew about this. 

8 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Now you’re making an assumption he just has sex with any girl no matter age like a predator.  It can be reasonably assumed if you’re at a college party you’re  a student at that school.  Sort of like if you take a girl home from a bar you’re assuming she’s 21. 

Not saying that made him "a predator" (wtf? ).  Saying most college guys wouldn't car if they knew she was a high school student.

Settle down...

47 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Silver lining in all of this, though (as bad as it is), if there had to be a player on the team accused of rape, thank God it was the punter, of all positions…

Fingers crossed it’s not true though…

Yep. Cut him if you must, then just sign another punter, there should be plenty of candidates on the waiver wire.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Yeah, that's not how it works. The 3 known people would have been arrested and charged. No way that they wouldn't squeal on the other two people, either out of just being an idiot and talking to the cops, or as part of some deal offering. They don't just wait for every single person to be ID'd before doing anything at all, especially in a gang rape case which could potentially be charged as a capital crime (unlikely but possible).

But I will say yes, you could be right. Not really saying you're not, just that with my time in the CJ world, that's been my experience with how things usually develop. Either way, awful as hell all around.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know that a thorough investigation would not be conducted.

Thanks for telling me.

I'll go back to the District Attorney's Special Victim's Unit where I work at tomorrow and let them know we are doing it all wrong.

It's nice to know that a direct Grand Jury presentation is not a smart option. 

LOL

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, wppete said:

This is crazy. If he did it then then cut him right away…. But the NFL has cornered themselves now with how they handled Deshaun Watson multiple cases. 8 games for deshaun means max 1 game for Araiza….. insane 

According to the plaintiff, she was *drugged, raped and mutilated.

These 2 cases are not the same.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Sure, but it's out of the ordinary for a civil suit to be served before charges have been filed. You're a hell of a lot more likely to win a civil suit if you've got a guilty verdict from the criminal case to back you up. Either way, I'm inclined to believe the victim, but maybe we'll be surprised.

I never thought i'd be as excited about a punter as I've been with this guy, so this blows. Time to give Moorman some stem cell injections I guess.

She's been waiting a long time for the criminal case to move forward.  It's a tactic to put the case out there since everyone else have been dragging their feet, most obviously the school.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Beast said:

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know that a thorough investigation would not be conducted.

Thanks for telling me.

I'll go back to the District Attorney's Special Victim's Unit where I work at tomorrow and let them know we are doing it all wrong.

Not what I said, but okay. You do you.

5 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Still a felony. If he had been up to three years older, it would be misdemeanor statutory rape.

We have one lawyer being interview by Cali news saying 3 years.

We have a law firm (I linked upthread) saying no fixed rule, but under 16 and over 21 tends to be charged as a felony.  Here's another

As previously stated, California Penal Code 261.5 PC is a wobbler. That means it may be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony.14

There are three circumstances that determine how the offense will be charged and what the potential penalties are:

If you are no more than three (3) years older than the alleged victim, violating PC 261.5 is always a misdemeanor.15

If you are more than three (3) years older than the alleged victim, the offense may be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony.16
AND

If you are twenty-one (21) or older and the alleged victim is under sixteen (16) at the time the intercourse occurs, you also face either a misdemeanor or a felony…but the potential felony penalties are steeper than in the situation described in #2, above.17

He was over 21, she was 17.  So it sounds as though it could go either way.

Edited by Beck Water

1 minute ago, Beast said:

Thanks for telling me.

Woah woah woah!

Can you tell us what Dick Wolf is like?

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Again so everyone understands and not just you it takes an insanely long time to build a criminal rape case and they are very very hard to prosecute

For most I agree - but I would have thought a supposed ‘open and shut’ case (to use the phrase used previously) would go through quicker? Certainly the alleged victim and her father expected resolution before now.

4 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

I did.   So why no criminal case ten months later?   

They just turned it in to the DA and I will say this again, lab work is very slow and I'd imagine the state of the world the last 2 years has not helped that backlog

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Shouldn't they have arrested him after that then?

Nah.

There is a question of force that would up the ante significantly. He could plea guilty to statutory and you wouldn't be able to charge him again for the same incident.

Dotting i's and crossing t's.

Plus, you want to put the victim through the least amount of proceedings as possible. 

I'd be willing to bet this will be put in front of a Grand Jury relatively soon.

Edited by Beast
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

We have one lawyer being interview by Cali news saying 3 years.

We have a law firm (I linked upthread) saying no fixed rule, but under 16 and over 21 tends to be charged as a felony.  Here's another

He was over 21, she was 17.

Not being a lawyer myself I would say the situation is a "wobble" and not so cut and dried, or there wouldn't be differing info on the subject

Here's the statute:

https://www.cwsdefense.com/blog/2020/june/exceptions-to-californias-statutory-rape-laws/

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I mean the guy knew he had an std and still didn’t put on a rubber? Does he have aids? Monkey pox? 

Or could be that he was aware that she had sex with numerous people (in his mind, either with consent or aware than she was raped) so advised her to be checked, rather than meaning he had a STD himself.

I will wait for the full story before I react or form some sort of judgement.  Clearly, if he is guilty of this, he is done and should be done and face criminal charges. 

But as bad as it looks on the preliminary story, there is still the fact it didn't come out sooner, the Bills may have had prior knowledge and did their own research, and there is not yet a criminal charge...so let's see how this plays out before we decide the outcome.  

• Agree 3