Baker Mayfield says goodbye to Cleveland (update - Traded to Panthers)

YoloinOhio

A good friend of mine is a die hard Browns fan.  I feel his pain.  I simply can’t imagine a worse or more bizzaro handling of your franchise QB.  Stefanski did not draft Baker.  So it’s no surprise he might want to go in a different direction.  The Browns GM needs to be fired.  He handled this poorly. 

I have no issue with Baker.  I was Team Allen from the git go. I wanted no part of Mayfield because I thought he was height challenged.  But I do believe he will be successful with a coach and system that wants him. 

Send him to Indy where he  can play in a dome.  

Baker letting everyone know his feelings are hurt. I get it. So when a player leaves "it's business", but when a team seeks to trade a player "it's personal"? Browns mishandled this for sure & now it's biting them. But Baker should look in the mirror & ask why did Beckham want out & why the Browns want to replace him, then put in the work to make the changes in his game necessary to improve. That's what Allen did. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think it's a generational thing.  I'm not a Boomer but close, I'm a Gen Xer and for some young people, things don't happen, things aren't real until they are posted on social media.  The term "Facebook Official" comes to mind about dating.

For Baker the idea of not commenting on something like this on social media is anathema.  Kind of like Cole with his COVID stance on Twitter.  I personally feel no need to share details of my life with strangers on the internet.  I'm not saying one view is right and one is wrong, it's just one of the big differences between generations where one grew up with rotary dial phones and one grew up cutting their teeth on iPhones. 

I can appreciate everything you say here.

I agree, one view is neither right or wrong and its a generational thing etc BUT if you have this "need" to go public fine, in this instance I think it will cost Baker real $.  Maybe it was worth it to him.  See how he feels when he matures more and is out of the league with no more million $ opportunities left.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Process said:

He was done as a Browns QB the second they decided to pursue Watson. 

Wtf did they think was going to happen? Maybe they knew, and were ready to move on, but man what a joke of an organization. 

Watson was never going to ****ing Cleveland. 

Exactly this

40 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s time to move on from him. Not worth it. He’s too emotional and immature to lead that team.

Right or wrong, once the Browns showed their hand and looked at an upgrade at QB it was predictable to see where this would go.  Could the Browns make him play this season?  Sure.  But that is fraught with pitfalls.  They still have to say they expect him to be their QB this season - until they replace him.  Then they can trade him. 

As for Mayfield, he deserves some of the blame for this situation, but I don’t blame him for wanting out now.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s probably trying to sabotage his trade value to screw over the team. 

That would be a huge mistake.  He could wind up having to play there this season if they can’t get his replacement and his trade value sucks. 

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Right or wrong, once the Browns showed their hand and looked at an upgrade at QB it was predictable to see where this would go.  Could the Browns make him play this season?  Sure.  But that is fraught with pitfalls.  They still have to say they expect him to be their QB this season - until they replace him.  Then they can trade him. 

As for Mayfield, he deserves some of the blame for this situation, but I don’t blame him for wanting out now.

Got to wonder about the thought process a bit "Baker isn't emotionally mature enough to lead this team we should try to get Watson." If we try and fail how do you think Baker will handle it? "I'm sure it'll be fine."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Got to wonder about the thought process a bit "Baker isn't emotionally mature enough to lead this team we should try to get Watson." If we try and fail how do you think Baker will handle it? "I'm sure it'll be fine."

Before his serial molestation was public, Watson was already acting like a child—from crying tears of joy singing his recent new contract, to declaring he wouldn’t play because they didn’t ask him about GM or coach.

He’s a babyman 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If the little moron had kept his mouth shut, he was looking at an incredible opportunity.  Browns keep him and he's the uncontested starter.  Then he's in control of his own destiny.  Have a good season, keep your mouth shut, be professional, then hit free agency.

Unfortunately for him, he seems to be incapable of having a good season, keeping his mouth shut and being professional.

Now he's just a big baby who wants to take his ball and go home.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I don’t think that is it.  I think they just decided to move on and they’re trying to find the best option possible. They have to play the game regarding him being the starter this season.  They can’t tell other teams to bend them over the negotiating table for him or their next starter. 

HA. Baker Mayfield was THE consensus Best QB prospect in his draft class.......NOT REALLY................

**snicker snicker***** Yes Im gloatng the Bills drafted 17........shimmy shimmy shaking hula hips too lmao

haha-m

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Lol don't know about anyone else but it kinda looks like Watson is ready to give Baker a kiss in that photo.   If I'm cleveland and guaranteeing his contract I sure hope they included offsets that protect them.  Like Watson can only have massages conducted at the Cleveland training facilities, or stipulating that the masseuse must be a male or the massage session can be taped and if there's no claims by the masseuse then the tape is erased without any viewing.  

I'm thinking Watson is gonna have more incidents in future whether of not he is guilty.  If he Is a sexual predator he won't suddenly be abstaining and that will increase the allegations that come forward.  If he is innocent there will be some lowlife that will try to target him to get some of his cash.  

If I'm an innocent person being accused of such conduct I'm sure as heck taping my sessions fully and that will prevent any future charges that are without any merit or at least have proof the allegations are false.  If Watson is found in future to be a sexual predator beyond any doubt then Cleveland Browns should be held accountable if they did not include any specific ironclad offsets to the money being guaranteed.  Giving any predator that amount of financial stability is in itself criminal.  

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Mayfield has Dallas Cowboys written all over him…

I know it won’t happen, but that’s a match made in heaven.

Colts or Seahawks. Although the Browns may want to trade him to the NFC. 

Just now, aristocrat said:

I don't think anyone should be afraid of Baker at this point.  But if seattle wants him they have the draft capital. 

He certainly hasn't lived up to his #1 pick status but he isn't a bad QB either. I hope he goes to the NFC as the AFC is already loaded with good/great QB's. I think the Colts would be a dangerous team if they got him.

18 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Colts or Seahawks. Although the Browns may want to trade him to the NFC. 

I can't see even the Browns being dumb enough to trade Baker to an AFC team.

That leaves Seattle, New Orleans, Carolina, & Detroit as the QB-needy teams.  Saints or Seahawks make the most sense to me.

I bet Washington feels awfully stupid after trading for Wentz...

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, 947 said:

I can't see even the Browns being dumb enough to trade Baker to an AFC team.

That leaves Seattle, New Orleans, Carolina, & Detroit as the QB-needy teams.  Saints or Seahawks make the most sense to me.

I bet Washington feels awfully stupid after trading for Wentz...

The Lions actually make some sense because he is about the right height to bite people’s knees.

• Haha (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.