Baker Mayfield says goodbye to Cleveland (update - Traded to Panthers)

YoloinOhio

I mean, if I’m being honest, this was a pretty good and respectable statement by Baker.  I’m sure he’s getting bombarded right now with the news Browns are meeting with Watson.  

So this came across respectable, professional, and well spoken in my book.  

I think a change of scenery could be good for him and there are some places he can go, if he is traded, where he can maybe bounce back as well.  Like Niners, Saints, or Colts.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

For some of the head scratching missteps Beane has taken on draft days thank God he got this one right when he traded up for Josh.

Beane has gotten most of it right. 

Certainly had a few mis-steps, as will anyone, but overall he's done very well. Which is a large reason we're one of the best rosters in the league.

Agreed that they did a great job choosing Allen, but also in supporting him with an excellent group.

As for the O.P. I take Mayfield at his word when he says, "No hidden meanings." IMO he's just thanking people amid a ton of uncertainty. Not a big Mayfield fan, but this seems OK to me.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

As I watch the First Four, I couldn’t help but see what Cleveland fans are saying..

“This entire situation is turning into a dark, dark day for this fanbase. From where I sit, our owner went back to his meddling ways, the Browns got absolutely PLAYED thinking they had a chance.. a chance to what you ask? Bring in a sexual predator!”  

Factory of Darkness 

2 hours ago, Buftex said:

He may be the least talented of the three on the field, but his commercials blow Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes out of the water...I have grown to loathe both of them...

Yeah, I agree.

All three get huge money, and good on them for it. But the Mahomes/Rodgers ones have them playing desperately needy prima donnas. Whereas the Mayfield ones crack me up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That one was good.  My favorite is the getting the refill and then the straw.

Yeah that’s a funny one to. I also like the one where it’s about to rain and he says he needs to cover the furniture lol. The yard sale one makes me laugh as well. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

2 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

Yep and rumor has it haslam was torn with choosing baker or Allen…..thank God

Sounds like revisionist history to me.  Before the draft it was always all the stories were the Browns were going to pick Darnold with a sudden shift to Mayfield about two weeks before the draft.  I don't  remember a peep about the Browns thinking about Allen.

Theses stories happen with every missed pick - like Flores wanted Herbert or Pegula wanted Mahomes. The only one I believe is that the Cardinals wanted Allen instead of Rosen because those stories came out immediately after the draft.

Wow, the Baker Mayfield hate runs deep at TBD.  He's good, not great, but tough as nails.  Played through an injury when he should have gotten surgery.  It's gotta hurt when you give up your body like that and then the team ***** on you.  Sure, he's not as good as Josh Allen, but then again no one is.  He'll be a QB somewhere in 2022, but likely not in Cleveland.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

18 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Sounds like revisionist history to me.  Before the draft it was always all the stories were the Browns were going to pick Darnold with a sudden shift to Mayfield about two weeks before the draft.  I don't  remember a peep about the Browns thinking about Allen.

Theses stories happen with every missed pick - like Flores wanted Herbert or Pegula wanted Mahomes. The only one I believe is that the Cardinals wanted Allen instead of Rosen because those stories came out immediately after the draft.

That's not true at all.  The big rumor leading up to the draft was Allen.  Just whether or not Dorsey would pull the trigger on a raw QB. The Mayfield rumor came out like a day or 2 ahead of the draft.  There was a ton of Allen talk during and in the weeks after the combine. 

16 minutes ago, cle23 said:

That's not true at all.  The big rumor leading up to the draft was Allen.  Just whether or not Dorsey would pull the trigger on a raw QB. The Mayfield rumor came out like a day or 2 ahead of the draft.  There was a ton of Allen talk during and in the weeks after the combine. 

Ok.  I checked and there was speculation from the press that the Brown were deciding on Mayfield vs. Allen after they did the last minute shift from Darnold.  So it appears I misremembered.

ALthough one of the Browns VPs came out after the draft and said he had Allen ranked 5th

https://www.bardown.com/browns-executive-explains-what-changed-from-not-being-able-to-change-his-mind-on-darnold-as-pick-1.1072699

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.