Baker Mayfield says goodbye to Cleveland (update - Traded to Panthers)

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Baker’s wife has a Cynthia Frelund vibe going…and geez if that story is true.  :doh:

5 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

Baker is the best QB the new Browns have had, came in after the worst two year stretch a team has ever had, and won the first playoff game ever for them.  On top of that he repped the city well and treated the fan base well.  To throw him under the bus for a 1/4 shot at a guy facing 22 civil cases is the most Browns Jimmy Haslam thing ever. 

Fixed.  That douchebag deserves every bit of misery he gets from the Browns.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Would be funny if after all of this Watson goes to NFC and Baker plays out his contract with Cleveland gets booed out of the stadium all season

This is the perfect scenario. The way the Brown owner has handled this almost makes me have empathy for Mr. Mayfield.

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ladies and Gentlemen, your Buffalo Bills backup for 2022-23.

That would be hysterically funny (Insert Skip Bayless dumb-struck look on his face picture here) and awesome.

5 hours ago, Mickey said:

I don't know, I think maybe this is not the last we will see of Baker Mayfield.  I think his second act will be much better than the first. 

No matter what you think of Baker Mayfield, think about the coaching, the GM, and the owner situation he has had in Cleveland. I would venture to say, if our guy had been put in that circumstance, the outcome would not have been good for him either. .... Leadership, professionalism, and coaching matter for the development of young QBs and to the development of a good team. Mayfield with Frank Reich could be a great career move for him. ..... And I really, really, really, hope Watson goes somewhere else just so we can watch Cleveland burn again.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean, if I’m being honest, this was a pretty good and respectable statement by Baker.  I’m sure he’s getting bombarded right now with the news Browns are meeting with Watson.  

So this came across respectable, professional, and well spoken in my book.  

I think a change of scenery could be good for him and there are some places he can go, if he is traded, where he can maybe bounce back as well.  Like Niners, Saints, or Colts.  

I have no idea what has taken place behind the scenes between Mayfield and the Browns; however, publicly, the pursuit of Watson has not been a good look for the team. I understand that it is a business and the team has every right to explore better options at QB or any other position. Yet, it is not just what you do, but how you do it. It is a difficult situation, but there is a way in which can be done with some level of class and dignity, and then there is the Haslam way.

I am not a fan of Mayfield, but I have no personal animosity toward him either. The team publicly stated their confidence and belief in him over and over since the end of the season all the way through the combine.  Then they publicly let him know they don't have confidence in him and don't believe in him. There is really no coming back from that.

Given all the ways in which Mayfield could handle this, what he wrote seems the most mature and professional.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Well if Baker ever does leave football, I hope he goes into acting because his commercials make me laugh which is hard to do being most commercials suck. 

Did they make you buy the product he was advertising though? 

9 hours ago, SCBills said:

Ngl… starting to feel bad for Baker.  

Cleveland is basically in an open relationship with him at this point. 

Why? Dude gets paid millions of dollars to play a game and will continue to get paid millions of dollars for a decade most likely even as a backup if that comes to pass. 

10 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

For some of the head scratching missteps Beane has taken on draft days thank God he got this one right when he traded up for Josh.

...which was facilitated by Browns owner Jimmy Haslam who opted for Baker when he went against the wishes of all his personnel people who wanted Josh as the #1 pick.  Thank you Jimmy!

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Stop and think about the hype from the QB draft class. The best two QBs were the least thought of ones by draftniks.

You could put me in that group as well. At the time I was hoping the Bills could get Darnold and then when the Bills selected I was hoping they would take Rosen. Shows you what an "expert" I am. Thankfully Beane knows what he is doing and is the one calling the shots.

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

Baker Mayfield prefers to be traded to the #Colts, according to PFN

#Browns GM Andrew Berry has promised to work with Mayfield’s team and send him to a place of his choosing.

https://t.co/6yA1TLOI35 https://t.co/FbsIU57AmO

I actually think Baker will do better out of Cleveland and under Reich, if that is where he goes. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.