Baker Mayfield says goodbye to Cleveland (update - Traded to Panthers)

YoloinOhio

53 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think silence would have been far more respectable until a final decision had been made.

He's an attention w.hore who chose to publicly pout over being a professional and keeping his mouth shut.

I don't think thats fair about that statement, I mean he was what was an entrenched starter.  Its a pretty big deal that they are shopping for Watson.  If he had been pissy in hi statement I would agree with you, but he was nothing but professional and grateful to the city and fans.  So I am cool with it.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

He still doesn't have an agent. I think that's a big reason why so far

Somewhere recently I saw a rumor that he wants to play out his contract/franchise tags. If he did so (while staying healthy enough), he would get huge payday. It would be interesting to see him take this approach and td FA frenzy if that did happen. 

Isn't Mayfield guaranteed 18.9 mil from having his 5th year option picked up?

So wtf are the Browns gonna do? Every team knows they want to offload him, so no one is going to pony up high draft picks for him. Those clowns are going to get near zero return on the #1 overall pick just because they couldn't be a little discreet with their interest in Watson. I feel sorry for Cleveland fans that owner is a disaster. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Greg S said:

I am surprised the Ravens haven't signed LJ yet. I know he has been hurt but he has been a franchise QB for them. He won't get Allen type $$$$ as Josh is better but he has proven to be "the guy" for them IMHO.

He wants Allen type $$$$ and more since he was voted to Superbowl and was MVP.

Ex-Browns player appears to mock Baker Mayfield with revenge tweet after QB sends out heartfelt message

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ex-browns-player-appears-to-mock-baker-mayfield-with-revenge-tweet-after-qb-sends-out-heartfelt-message/

If you're wondering what that GIF has to do with Mayfield, it's pretty simple. Back in June 2019, Johnson made it clear he was unhappy in Cleveland, which led to the running back making a trade request. During a press conference that Mayfield had shortly after the request went public, the QB had a message for Johnson: "You're either on this train or you're not."

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't think thats fair about that statement, I mean he was what was an entrenched starter.  Its a pretty big deal that they are shopping for Watson.  If he had been pissy in hi statement I would agree with you, but he was nothing but professional and grateful to the city and fans.  So I am cool with it.

I'm not a fan of Mayfield at all but the Browns are doing him dirty.

It may have been posted, but someone on twitter pointed out that the Giants and Eagles havent even treated Jones and Hurts this way.

Browns and Haslam deserve to be basement dwellers. I feel bad for the fans.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

Isn't Mayfield guaranteed 18.9 mil from having his 5th year option picked up?

So wtf are the Browns gonna do? Every team knows they want to offload him, so no one is going to pony up high draft picks for him. Those clowns are going to get near zero return on the #1 overall pick just because they couldn't be a little discreet with their interest in Watson. I feel sorry for Cleveland fans that owner is a disaster. 

The exciting thing for the Browns is the only way their QB next year isn’t a man accused of sexual assault by 22 women is if *he* publicly turns *them* down.

• Haha (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm not a fan of Mayfield at all but the Browns are doing him dirty.

It may have been posted, but someone on twitter pointed out that the Giants and Eagles havent even treated Jones and Hurts this way.

Browns and Haslam deserve to be basement dwellers. I feel bad for the fans.

Agree 100%. I have no idea why anyone would want to go to Cleveland. 4 short years ago they were loaded with cap space and draft picks, it seemed like there was such a bright future ahead for that fanbase. Unbelieveable how the Browns took that opportunity and turned it into the s*** show it is now.

Or maybe not so unbelieveable. Haslam continues to be an embarrassment...

43 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Agree 100%. I have no idea why anyone would want to go to Cleveland. 4 short years ago they were loaded with cap space and draft picks, it seemed like there was such a bright future ahead for that fanbase. Unbelieveable how the Browns took that opportunity and turned it into the s*** show it is now.

Or maybe not so unbelieveable. Haslam continues to be an embarrassment...

I mean, are they really such a *****-show?  They barely lost to the Chiefs in the Divisional round last season - and in truth, I thought they got robbed on what should have been a penalty.    This year, they barely lost to the Chiefs and to the Raiders - they were like 6 points away from being a 10-7 team.

Unless are you referring to the optics?  Baker went hard for them all season on a shoulder that needed surgery, and then this?

59 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The exciting thing for the Browns is the only way their QB next year isn’t a man accused of sexual assault by 22 women is if *he* publicly turns *them* down.

So they go from a QB who allegedly had a sleezy but consensual sexual encounter next to the dumpster behind a Cheesecake Factory, to a QB who is alleged to have behaved indecently or committed sexual assault with 22 women?    Moving towards the Big Time there Cleveland!

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Ex-Browns player appears to mock Baker Mayfield with revenge tweet after QB sends out heartfelt message

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ex-browns-player-appears-to-mock-baker-mayfield-with-revenge-tweet-after-qb-sends-out-heartfelt-message/

Oooh.  That's Cold. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, are they really such a *****-show?  They barely lost to the Chiefs in the Divisional round last season - and in truth, I thought they got robbed on what should have been a penalty.    This year, they barely lost to the Chiefs and to the Raiders - they were like 6 points away from being a 10-7 team.

Unless are you referring to the optics?  Baker went hard for them all season on a shoulder that needed surgery, and then this?

I was speaking primarily from an optics perspective; however, I think the fallout from this will affect the team beyond Mayfield. They really have assembled some talent on that team and they were closer to being one of the top teams in the AFC than many people think - and, IMO, I feel they may be on the verge of losing whatever progress they have made. I could be wrong, who knows?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.