DT DaQuan Jones to Buffalo, $3.58M cap this year

BillsMafi$

These two DL free agents are excellent signings. With Beane's FA activity so far, it's looking like CB, WR and a pass rusher remain probable early targets in the draft.  If Chandler Jones shows up in Orchard Park, the Bills draft targets become very predictable.  I still expect Beane to pick up a lower cost veteran QB and a QB in the draft to develop.

This all follows along with Beane's normal mode of operation going into the draft.  He plugs most of the needs with reasonably priced veterans that are an upgrade of the guys they replace.  He enters the draft with only one or two important needs for the early rounds.  After the draft he picks up low cost veterans to add necessary depth.  He's become almost as predictable as a February snow storm in the south towns.

I'm still holding out hope that the market for Wallace isn't as high as he expected.  If they do lose him, there are some great options in the draft. 

• Agree 5

So last year, Jones signed with Carolina 1 year, $4M

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/daquan-jones-14523/

He's 30, 8 year vet.  6'4",320

38 combined tackles, 1 FF, 1 sack, 1 TFL, 6 QB hits

Those are actually a slight fall-off from his previous year in Tenn. where he was listed as a NT, but earlier in his career he was listed as a DE

36 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm sorry, you're correct. The indication on Twitter is that they are using the low tender, with right of first refusal, on Bates. They have not re-signed him, though. Sloppy word choice on my part.

That will cost you three Hail Murrays, watched consecutively. 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think this effectively takes DT off the table as a round one or round two draft option.

I know, I know: "Beane will take BPA regardless!". Yeah, yeah, yeah...

They have their four-man defensive tackle rotation, and a guy they like a lot in Eli Ankou on the practice squad, to boot.

A mid round guy? Sure, maybe. Early pick? Ain't happenin', in my opinion.

that would be a mistake.  Bean drafting for position over BPA had cost them early in the last few drafts (AJ and Basham come to mind). 

35 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

So far on paper, Jones and Settle are better than Butler and Phillips.  They are older which might be an issue.  But so far the interior DL is better today than it was at the season's end.  

Settle is 24, I'm pretty sure he's not older.

23 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

that would be a mistake.  Bean drafting for position over BPA had cost them early in the last few drafts (AJ and Basham come to mind). 

They didn't draft by position in those cases.  They drafted BPA.   If I recall correctly, Beane said his group was excited when Rousseau was falling through round one, so much so that they considered moving up for him.  Then when Boogie was there in round two, he said he asked McDermott if he was ready for this (two DTs in the first two rounds, based on BPA), McD said yes.  

I think they said something similar about AJ, too.  

The thing is that when you're drafting late in round one and all through round two, there aren't any real instant impact players left, except guys who are surprises to everyone.  

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

So what does this mean for Star? He has to be getting a pay cut right?

Lotta rumors that he might retire. Tompsett on Cover 1, for one. Not that he is retiring, but that he's rumored to be considering it.

I doubt they are absolutely counting on him.

Edited by Thurman#1

36 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

To be fair, that's revisionist history.

Both Epenesa and Basham were considered great value where they were picked, as both fell further on draft day than projected. Edge was a need, sure, but both guys arguably WERE BPA when they were picked.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

42 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Some of you kept saying this about Oliver. Pro bowl in years 1 or 2 or they're a bust. Not a way to judge a player. Especially with established vets ahead of them, but hey, you do you. 👎

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Settle is 24, I'm pretty sure he's not older.

Thanks.  I missed that. I thought playing out his first entire contract he was older than Phillips.  DT takes a while to develop. At 24 still a lot of football left. Hopefully he can play well for a few years.  Fills a big need once they move on from Star this year or next. 

2 hours ago, Logic said:

To be fair, that's revisionist history.

Both Epenesa and Basham were considered great value where they were picked, as both fell further on draft day than projected. Edge was a need, sure, but both guys arguably WERE BPA when they were picked.

No need to justify it. Beane drafts for need all the time and that is perfectly fine.  

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, muppy said:

trenches Trenches TRENCHES people...... Fortify, improve, excel. BOOM

to borrow a phrase from @teef Super Bowl!~!~!!!

/

This right here ^^^

The game is won and lost in the trenches, wether anyone likes it or not,  all offensive and defensive play calls success stems from the lines. 

Go Bills!!! 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I will wait and see the terms but as with Settle in isolation I don't hate this. Still have questions about the overall strategy. 

Im genuinely curious what your “questions about overall strategy” are, as it pertains to these signings and free agency in general.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

Im genuinely curious what your “questions about overall strategy” are, as it pertains to these signings and free agency in general.

To me is still looks like quantity hole fillers rather than 1 or 2 difference makers. Beane will have to wean himself of the desire to be the deepest roster in the NFL (have arguably been that for 2 years) to focus more on having the 4 or 5 difference makers most Superbowl winners have (we have 3). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

To me is still looks like quantity hole fillers rather than 1 or 2 difference makers. Beane will have to wean himself of the desire to be the deepest roster in the NFL (have arguably been that for 2 years) to focus more on having the 4 or 5 difference makers most Superbowl winners have (we have 3). 

Obviously being early and going onto day 2, so hopefully he can make something happen at some point. I am interested to see if he can make enough adjustments needed to pay any difference maker 

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You are inferring that difference makers have been available. Who do you see as a difference maker that Beane could have "realistically" signed since he has been with the team?

11 minutes ago, JaBu said:

You are inferring that difference makers have been available. Who do you see as a difference maker that Beane could have "realistically" signed since he has been with the team?

I have answered the question multiple times about what I think the strategy should have been this year. A proven vet edge (maybe one will still arrive?) and a proper upgrade at guard. Some will say we have the latter, I said last week what I thought about Saffold I am not gonna change my view and get the pom poms out just because the Bills signed him. The names I had on the wish list this year were Andrew Norwell and Chandler Jones. 

But look I was attacked two years ago for saying Addison was over the hill and on a steep decline. I was proven right. 

I was attacked last year for saying Emmanuel Sanders had slowed down and would struggle to hold onto a starting job. I was proven right. 

I don't sit here trying to dislike their free agent moves I am just consistent and honest with what I think. In isolation I like the two pick ups at defensive tackle. But the FA modus operandi of hole fillers has given us arguably the deepest roster in football for 2 years running. And depth is great. But difference makers are greater. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have answered the question multiple times about what I think the strategy should have been this year. A proven vet edge (maybe one will still arrive?) and a proper upgrade at guard. Some will say we have the latter, I said last week what I thought about Saffold I am not gonna change my view and get the pom poms out just because the Bills signed him. The names I had on the wish list this year were Andrew Norwell and Chandler Jones. 

But look I was attacked two years ago for saying Addison was over the hill and on a steep decline. I was proven right. 

I was attacked last year for saying Emmanuel Sanders had slowed down and would struggle to hold onto a starting job. I was proven right. 

I don't sit here trying to dislike their free agent moves I am just consistent and honest with what I think. In isolation I like the two pick ups at defensive tackle. But the FA modus operandi of hole fillers has given us arguably the deepest roster in football for 2 years running. And depth is great. But difference makers are greater. 

I understand the strategy (I didn't care for the Addison or Emmanuel signings either), but I'm still wondering who they could have "realistically" signed that was a difference maker. Especially given the restraints of the cap and the needed desire of any said players to sign with the team. Buffalo has not been a draw for elite players, although that mindset seems to be changing from what we have recently heard. So who are those difference makers they could have signed in the last 3 years?

• Agree 1

There’s like 5 difference makers at DT and possibly 0 at 1T in the NFL (the Bills might have one right now at 3T)

The Bills would be wasting money on an impact DT right now and going for quality depth and rotation is exactly what you want.

If there is an impact DE out there, then you might have to extent Diggs or something to make room for him, but otherwise the Bills are doing great right now. Keep adding quality to the 54

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.