Rodgers wants 50 million per year from the Packers per ESPN Dianna Russini

Greg S

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree….IF they think Love can be their franchise QB.  I have my doubts

It’s easy from the couch.  Maybe not as easy if you take into account who the QB that you’re giving the keys to car is.  Trading the back to back mvp qb to turn your franchise over to Love has got to be one of the toughest decisions ever.  Trading him makes all the sense in the world….if your new QB is worthy.  Is he worthy?  Idk

Won't know until he plays. Love playing is a win/win in my opinion. Either he shows well enough to carry the franchise...or you likely have a high pick in addition to whatever picks you get in return for a guy on the back 9 of his career.

It's almost like Rodgers is setting the Pack up to be the bad guy either way. Be it "They weren't commited to pay me" or "They refused to build a team that could win". 

True, Rodgers is still playing extremely well, however it's tough to build a competitive team while giving him a huge increase and bringing Adams back (which they will have to do to keep Aaron happy). They will likely need to let guys like Tonyan and MVS go. 

Or, they can use this as a chance to stock up for the long haul. I absolutely know which way I would go. 

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Won't know until he plays. Love playing is a win/win in my opinion. Either he shows well enough to carry the franchise...or you likely have a high pick in addition to whatever picks you get in return for a guy on the back 9 of his career.

It's almost like Rodgers is setting the Pack up to be the bad guy either way. Be it "They weren't commited to pay me" or "They refused to build a team that could win". 

True, Rodgers is still playing extremely well, however it's tough to build a competitive team while giving him a huge increase and bringing Adams back (which they will have to do to keep Aaron happy). They will likely need to let guys like Tonyan and MVS go. 

Or, they can use this as a chance to stock up for the long haul. I absolutely know which way I would go. 

Yeah you won’t know until he plays, but the packers football people that watch him every day have a much better understanding of how good he is than we do.  

Tonyan and MVS are what they are because of AR.  2 JAGS that will likely be forgotten about now that they don’t have AR.  Any team that pays MVS like a WR2 will be a crappy team led by a crappy GM.  He’s more of a #4.  We shall see. 

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah you won’t know until he plays, but the packers football people that watch him every day have a much better understanding of how good he is than we do.  

Tonyan and MVS are what they are because of AR.  2 JAGS that will likely be forgotten about now that they don’t have AR.  Any team that pays MVS like a WR2 will be a crappy team led by a crappy GM.  He’s more of a #4.  We shall see. 

I'd somewhat disagree on MVS. I see him more of a "high end" #3 guy. But agree, that he is QB dependant. A top QB gets him to that range for me. He does make a lot of catches most guys wouldn't. Excellent on the sidelines. Tonyan I could take or leave.

Problem comes with having to create and then fill holes with no money. 

Sure, you can make an argument to justify that amount, he certainly is deserving to have a top contract but at that contract level and considering their cap situation, it would make it very difficult for them to improve upon the team that they currently have.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'd somewhat disagree on MVS. I see him more of a "high end" #3 guy. But agree, that he is QB dependant. A top QB gets him to that range for me. He does make a lot of catches most guys wouldn't. Excellent on the sidelines. Tonyan I could take or leave.

Problem comes with having to create and then fill holes with no money. 

For sure….but what’s the difference between the packers paying AR 50 as opposed to the bills paying allen 45 or w/e he’s getting.  Every good QB is going to get huge money that will put his team in the same situation.  

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

For sure….but what’s the difference between the packers paying AR 50 as opposed to the bills paying allen 45 or w/e he’s getting.  Every good QB is going to get huge money that will put his team in the same situation.  

In this case the biggest difference is that Allen getting $45M per season means his cap hit can be converted and much lower than that. If AR wants that $50M chances are guaranteed money won't be kicked as far down the road to lessen this season's cap hit. 

$45M/7 years vs $50M/1-2 years plays out much different. And on Rodgers case I wouldn't kick that can too far down the road...end up like the Saints real fast that way.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

Between this and what Adams wants how can the Packers field a competitive team?

As long as the ayers get their money they don't care about fielding *****. Rodgers will never win another Super Bowl and I think he knows it

He is nothing more than a regular season super star.

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

In this case the biggest difference is that Allen getting $45M per season means his cap hit can be converted and much lower than that. If AR wants that $50M chances are guaranteed money won't be kicked as far down the road to lessen this season's cap hit. 

$45M/7 years vs $50M/1-2 years plays out much different. And on Rodgers case I wouldn't kick that can too far down the road...end up like the Saints real fast that way.

They can add as many voidable years as they’d like to kick it as far down the road as they want.   The key to the rebuild isn’t salary cap.  It’s having a QB capable of replacing their star. Teams can bite the bullet for one season and be right back on top a year later if they structure things accordingly.  Similar to what the pats did in 2020.  Then this year, they had tons of money and fielded a solid team….but their QB wasn’t ready for the big leagues. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Packers fans have gotten to damn fat off of going from Favre to Rodgers and 20+ years of competitive ball.

it’s not even a question.

Back to Back MVPs…playing better than Brady, Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Murray, Burrow.

Spins it better than am arm in the league.

He sits at the top.  When you sit at the top you get the green.

Time to pay up.

He was undeserving of the MVP this past year--simply put. But 2020, easily the MVP.

Anyway, you aren't "sitting at the top" when you are watching other QBs play on TV after you get bounced out of the playoffs again.  You're sitting on your couch...

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Could say the same for Knox and Davis.  

Edited by Mr. WEO

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was undeserving of the MVP this past year--simply put. But 2020, easily the MVP.

Anyway, you aren't "sitting at the top" when you are watching other QBs play on TV after you get bounced out of the playoffs again.  You're sitting on your couch...

Could say the same for Knox and Davis.  

Similarly.  I think knox is a better TE than Tonyan and I think Davis is a better Wr than MVS.  

of the 4, who would you rather have? 
Davis or MVS?

Knox or Tonyan?

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, and let's not forget Green Bay has to bear some responsibility for the mess their in also.  They didn't extend A Rogers when they could have had him at the $40M mark of Mahomes and Josh.  Quite the opposite, they got cute and drafted what they thought would be Rogers replacement and let Rogers ride out his deal.

That oh so clever GB FO now has to deal with a mess of its own making.  They had a HOF QB, pretty much in his prime, and decided to try and draft his replacement early.  Oops.  Love lucked terrible and there is now no way to get Rogers with any kind of break now.  They have to pay market price to keep him, $50M.

4 minutes ago, Santana said:

Yeah but that's literally all he's won. He's lost 9 Playoff games since 2010. The most of any QB in that time frame.

No, he's literally won a Superbowl and the two most recent MVPs.

If Carr is worth $40M, and K Murray is North of $40M, yes, A Rogers is $50M.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Yeah, and let's not forget Green Bay has to bear some responsibility for the mess their in also.  They didn't extend A Rogers when they could have had him at the $40M mark of Mahomes and Josh.  Quite the opposite, they got cute and drafted what they thought would be Rogers replacement and let Rogers ride out his deal.

That oh so clever GB FO now has to deal with a mess of its own making.  They had a HOF QB, pretty much in his prime, and decided to try and draft his replacement early.  Oops.  Love lucked terrible and there is now no way to get Rogers with any kind of break now.  They have to pay market price to keep him, $50M.

No, he's literally won a Superbowl and the two most recent MVPs.

If Carr is worth $40M, and K Murray is North of $40M, yes, A Rogers is $50M.

I agree completely.  They aren’t in this situation if they don’t draft Love.  AR is a crazy mf…and they knew that.  And still decided to roll the dice on his replacement. He certainly downplays the situation but I think, in Aaron’s mind, a line was drawn when they drafted Love.  For w/e reason, he seems to be a grudge holder. Dude doesn’t even speak to his family 

• Like (+1) 1

They can do it if they want, they have love in waiting so if they have Rodgers a 4 year deal, only 2 with guaranteed money, gave him a massive signing bonus, like $75M and a base of 12.5 for 2 years, then he gets the 50M average for 2 years and the cap hit is spread out over 4 seasons, they could get him and Adams back for 2 more years doing it that way.  Would I? Probably not.  He’s 38, it’s time to make a move towards the future, but that’s just me talking.

29 minutes ago, Santana said:

Yeah but that's literally all he's won. He's lost 9 Playoff games since 2010. The most of any QB in that time frame.

Not bad for a QB of a team that hasn't spent a first round pick on an offensive player to help him in a decade.

I mean, unless you count the guy they drafted to replace him.  :beer:

The Packers made their own mess with Rodgers.........shouldn't have scrimped when he was in his prime..........hopefully the Bills learn that lesson with Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Greg S said:

Rich Eisen Show on Twitter: "She reported this morning an update on a when Aaron Rodgers could make a decision on his playing future and @diannaESPN joined us to explain what she's heard on the matter: #NFL #GoPackGo https://t.co/hLC5CMIVlc" / Twitter

In addition to the $50 MIL, he also demands to be at the top of the list in every news cycle. That part is non-negotiable! 

• Haha (+1) 1

So, let’s get one thing out of the way…Aaron Rodgers absolutely deserves 50M per season based upon performance.

That doesn’t mean it’s the best move for the Packers, but then again they don’t have many options.  Love stinks (yeah, yeah).

• Like (+1) 4

I guess his last cleansing  didn’t remove all of his BS…, 😂

7 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Packers fans have gotten to damn fat off of going from Favre to Rodgers and 20+ years of competitive ball.

it’s not even a question.

Back to Back MVPs…playing better than Brady, Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Murray, Burrow.

Spins it better than am arm in the league.

He sits at the top.  When you sit at the top you get the green.

Time to pay up.

Boy, you love u some QBs. First Kyler, not A A Ron. The two biggest douche bags in the NFL

32 minutes ago, Baba Booey said:

Boy, you love u some QBs. First Kyler, not A A Ron. The two biggest douche bags in the NFL

Nah.

Rodgers is the man.

there just comes a point…when you just can’t here the “player talk” and I begin to appreciate so much more the authentic truth that comes from these athletes.

even if it is in complete contrast with the “everything for the team.” Player robot speak so many of our athletes are brainwashed into.

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Sounds fair..........he's only won the MVP two years running.

He's as good and as valuable as any single player in the game.

He's a top 3 QB in a league where the QB is 90% of the team...

Pay him what he wants.

• Like (+1) 1

-$28M Salary cap    $46.6M cap hit in 22 with his bonus $26.5 base salary

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

He is getting paid if counting his pro rated bonus

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

Davante Adams is a FA  with a market value of $25.8M per year

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/davante-adams-14463/

Edited by ALF

15 hours ago, NewEra said:

Similarly.  I think knox is a better TE than Tonyan and I think Davis is a better Wr than MVS.  

of the 4, who would you rather have? 
Davis or MVS?

Knox or Tonyan?

MVS has been a solid producer with huge YPC since he got to GB.  Plus his a big dude.  Having said that, I like Davis. 

Tonyan is injured, so.....who knows how he comes back.  But his breakout year was better than Knox's.

10 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Why are a lot of people acting like this is outrageous?

He is back to back mvp and the cap is rising big time the next few years.

50 mil is about right for him 

especially when looking at what Goff is getting

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, LeviF said:

By having Aaron Rodgers at quarterback.

Yeah, they could get by with the two of them getting what they want. Cut five or ten of their other highest-cap number guys. Then here are some suggestions:

Cody Ford at guard. TJ Yeldon at RB. Vlad Ducasse, Jordan Mills. They can put a roster together. They oughta be great cuz they have Aaron Rodgers.

That's maybe a fair market value for him, but it would be force a rebuild sooner and not later. They'd be crippling the beginning of the Jordan Love era. Not that Rodgers cares. He's all about Rodgers.

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, they could get by with the two of them getting what they want. Cut five or ten of their other highest-cap number guys. Then here are some suggestions:

Cody Ford at guard. TJ Yeldon at RB. Vlad Ducasse, Jordan Mills. They can put a roster together. They oughta be great cuz they have Aaron Rodgers.

That's maybe a fair market value for him, but it would be force a rebuild sooner and not later. They'd be crippling the beginning of the Jordan Love era. Not that Rodgers cares. He's all about Rodgers.

I think the Packers have pretty well telegraphed what they think of Jordan Love at this point. I have severe doubts that we will be able to call his tenure there an "era" without seriously stretching the common understanding of the word.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Putin said:

Sure why not pay him and Adams and you’ll still have about half of the cap left 

This is a problem with drafting 9 defensive players and a replacement QB with their last 10 #1 picks.............they have done well to add Davante Adams and Aaron Jones to their roster at much lower draft slots than the players they've turned out to be...............but the drop-off to the rest of their playmakers is huge because they've not invested in that side of the ball.     

We've seen over and over again that you can transform a bad defense in free agency..........but it's hard to maintain a good defense for a long period of time regardless of the investment.

So why use your franchise building blocks all on defense?

When you have a franchise QB..........you CAN build long term success on that side of the ball.

Packers tried to cheat the system.

Almost worked the past couple of seasons,  but maybe if they had been QB-centric in his prime they wouldn't be at odds with Rodgers now............and they'd have a deep enough offense that they could move on from Adams.

Bills need to take note of how Green Bay has messed up being blessed with the best QB in the conference for the past decade.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Augie said:

In addition to the $50 MIL, he also demands to be at the top of the list in every news cycle. That part is non-negotiable! 

He already is.  They ought to rename the Sirius NFL Channel the "Aaron Roger's Discussion".  They can't go 5 minutes without talking about him.

21 minutes ago, LeviF said:

I think the Packers have pretty well telegraphed what they think of Jordan Love at this point. I have severe doubts that we will be able to call his tenure there an "era" without seriously stretching the common understanding of the word.

And while it's hard to have much sympathy for Rogers let's not forget that the moron Packers MOVED UP in the first round to take Love with Rogers at his peak.  Packer management own a lot of the crap they're getting.

Edited by CincyBillsFan

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

MVS has been a solid producer with huge YPC since he got to GB.  Plus his a big dude.  Having said that, I like Davis. 

Tonyan is injured, so.....who knows how he comes back.  But his breakout year was better than Knox's.

His ypc is high because that’s all dude can do. He’s a lesser version of Torrey Smith.    Run deep And hope AR puts in on him.  He’s made a handful of circus catches, he gets credit for that.  

tonyan was healthy to start this season and was nearly invisible.  You’d take knox all day every day 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.