Texans Can Culley

Mike in Horseheads

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I suppose I'm partly pissed off that the Ravens managed to get 2 - 3rd round picks by shoving (excuse me, lobbying for and recommending) their under-qualified "Passing Game Coordinator" out the door into a bad HC situation where he only lasted a year.  I don't think that really is the kind of developmental coaching pipeline that the 2 3rd round picks were supposed to encourage teams to pursue.

SI and ESPN are reporting that only 2 years of Culley's 5 year contract were guaranteed. SI has this to say:

The above is also pissing me off.

Yeah it’s a bad situation all around.  Houston wasn’t the Trainwreck everyone expected them to be 

20 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I feel bad for him but he knew exactly what he getting into.  There’s a reason Brian Daboll refused to interview in Houston.  It was Caserio’s plan from the start to hire a coach short term considering the roster was the weakest in the NFL and would not be desirable to big name.   Someone like Daboll who has 20 some years of coaching ahead of him can afford to be selective.  Older coaches like Culley or Frazier do not.  

As soon as they hired Culley everyone suggested he was set up to fail.  They picked him as he had lots of coaching experience that would be agreeable and would help with the locker room culture and team PR.  He was not really qualified to be a head coach, having never worked above a position level coach for 30 years.  

I’ll say he made the most of a bad situation and fated a lot better than most expected.  It is pretty ***** how they treated him but then again, we are talking about Houston Texans.  At the end of the day, this was what he signed up for. 

All fair points of view.  Let's hope Culley is laughing all the way to the bank.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

All fair points of view.  Let's hope Culley is laughing all the way to the bank.

No he is… literally.  They owe him $17M over the final 3 years of his deal.  A nice little nest egg for him and his family.   It has to be killing him though.  He waited his whole career for this and ended up getting screwed 

Culley got paid,  pretty much knew the job was a joke.   The league wont blame him for the poor season.   

He leaves with $$$$$,   his rep intact,  and best of all,  he gets away from that terrible mess.   Good for him imo.

Edited by bigduke6
  • Agree 1

Everyone put on your tinfoil hats, I have a theory.

What if Culley was always the fall guy? He seemed unqualified from the start. The Texans knew this would be a lost season ... perhaps Frazier was their guy all along and they wanted to punt on one season because they knew this one would be a dumpster fire.

Let's see if Frazier gets hired. I bet he does.

4 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

What if Culley was always the fall guy? He seemed unqualified from the start. The Texans knew this would be a lost season ... perhaps Frazier was their guy all along and they wanted to punt on one season because they knew this one would be a dumpster fire.

For Buffalo hockey fans - kind of like when they hired Ted Nolan the 2nd time (to oversee the tank)?  Nolan certainly had to know that there was no chance of success and that he would get canned.  That said, he pocketed $3M or so for his efforts.  He also had the team playing well enough that they ALMOST blew the top-2 draft pick (but he didn't, he got canned, the Sabres got the pick and 5 years later, the player selected was moving on, and the Sabres were/are still at the bottom of the league).

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

It's not really a conspiracy theory when it's fact.

Culley was always a stop-gap, temporary solution who could have the rug pulled at any time, but got his HC gig and $8M before retiring. He went into this eyes wide open.

Pretty sure they're after Flores tho.

Why would Flores want that job? He'll surely have other options. The organization will still be a complete mess for at least another 1-2 seasons. Nobody with options is taking the Texans' job on the off chance Watson is even cleared to play, let alone wants to stay. The next coach will be in the same position Culley was and will likely be gone in a year or 2.

47 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

No he is… literally.  They owe him $17M over the final 3 years of his deal.  A nice little nest egg for him and his family.   It has to be killing him though.  He waited his whole career for this and ended up getting screwed 

I'm sure he has always wanted a HC opportunity, and a serious one.

Perhaps, like with Chan, the opportunity he got will lead to other opportunities.

• Like (+1) 2

Hard to believe the Texans were the team that not only made it to the playoffs two years ago, but actually beat the Bills. 

52 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

He not only gets the $17M, he also showed the league that he can actually coach.  This lemon could turn into lemonade for him.  Plus, $17M in the bank if nothing else works out.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, 947 said:

Why would Flores want that job? He'll surely have other options. The organization will still be a complete mess for at least another 1-2 seasons. Nobody with options is taking the Texans' job on the off chance Watson is even cleared to play, let alone wants to stay. The next coach will be in the same position Culley was and will likely be gone in a year or 2.

This is why I think Frazier gets it. He showed he wanted it, they had him down to the final two, and I don't think anyone else will want the job.

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

actually it is 22 million.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

t's not really a conspiracy theory when it's fact.

Culley was always a stop-gap, temporary solution who could have the rug pulled at any time, but got his HC gig and $8M before retiring. He went into this eyes wide open.

These stories were pretty much around during and after the hiring process.

At the time, it was believed that they really wanted Josh McCown to be head coach but the bad optics of hiring their buddy with zero coaching experience over more qualified minority candidates was just too much to overcome. 

After that, there were stories floating they were going to force the new coach to hire McCown as their OC and then have the new coach groom McCown to take over.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/texans-breaking-qb-mccown-released-is-he-houstons-next-coach

Edited by Billy Claude

5 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

He did have Tuh Rod!

I was watching some of the Jets-Texans game about a month and a half ago because I had bet the Texans.  (They were at home and the Jets are lousy)  Tyrod was their QB, and I started watching about 5 min into the second half.  He did not get one first down the entire rest of the game.  Could not complete a 5 yard out.  He was terrible.  And the Jets came back won the game and I lost my bet.  

That being said, I thought Culley got the most out of that crap team.  That's a tough place to coach.  I think he was better then Joe Judge for whatever that's worth.  LOL

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Another one bites the dust....   

IG: JosinaAnderson

@JosinaAnderson

I'm told David Culley informed the staff that he has been fired, per league source.

No surprise considering how that team is run.

He should never have been picked in first place no matter what their QB wanted.

No-Need-4-Penis-small.gif

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This is so unfair. 

It is clear now that they hired him as some stop gap In a lost season, who they could just throw away. So disrespectful.

He actually did a heck of a job— those guys played better and better and played hard for him. Just very unfair. 

He actually tried...unlike B.O.B

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That is like the biggest farce ever. 

That poor guy got handed the rawest of raw deals with the roster and the QB situation.

He actually managed to pull the team together and win over the Titans and the Chargers.

Now he's gotten canned after 1 season, while the Ravens get 2 - 3rd round draft picks as a reward for shoving the poor guy out the door into a crappy situation.

Sheesh.

The Texans are a disgrace.

• Agree 1

I get why people think Culley got a raw deal, but honestly he is not and never will be a championship caliber coach. Everyone knew it when they hired him and it's still true today. They hired an empty suit to get them through a wasted year. So the players played hard down the stretch, that means nothing. Any coach can get their team to try hard. That's why bad teams with bad coaches upset good teams every year. It takes an especially bad coach like Hue Jackson to completely tank a team's chances. Culley will get over it when he looks at his bank account.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That is like the biggest farce ever. 

That poor guy got handed the rawest of raw deals with the roster and the QB situation.

He actually managed to pull the team together and win over the Titans and the Chargers.

Now he's gotten canned after 1 season, while the Ravens get 2 - 3rd round draft picks as a reward for shoving the poor guy out the door into a crappy situation.

Sheesh.

100% correct.

At least he gets $17 million for the 1 year.

The owner and front office gave their new coach a crap roster, the Watson side show, and nothing at QB.  They fire the guy of a team that had no chance to be competitive.  Culley may have gotten the best end of this deal.  He gets to collect the balance of his contract ( I believe it is about $17 M) and he doesn't have to deal with the morons in the Texans organization.  Once again bad ownership leads to very bad results.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

He's made some horrendous in game calls. He did decent with an awful roster awful roster, but his in game management was questionable. 

I think that goes with the territory of being a new HC.  I thought McDermott made some awful calls his first season here, and there are still some I question but overall I feel he's improved.  Given more time, Culley probably would improve as well

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that goes with the territory of being a new HC.  I thought McDermott made some awful calls his first season here, and there are still some I question but overall I feel he's improved.  Given more time, Culley probably would improve as well

True he would most likely improve. But to decline an Offside on 3rd down just to punt, that's unforgivable to me (For context - penalty would have given them 3rd and 10 at their own 43 yard. Game was 7-7 early in 2nd quarter. They picked up 12 yards on the play and punted on 4th and 2 inside opponents territory). Just an oddball move, I have never seen anything like that before. 

Not sure how he got a raw deal.  Got to achieve his dream of being a head coach and he's being paid handsomely to sit around for the next two years.  Culley wasn't on anyone's radar as a HC candidate.  There wasn't a team in the league that was going to hire a 65 year old with no head coaching experience, except for the Texans that is.  And still, remember how shocked everyone was when they announced the hire?

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's not really a conspiracy theory when it's fact.

This isn’t even unprecedented in recent memory. 

Remember the Jim Tomsula era in SF? A glorified DL coach got hired to be HC after Harbaugh walked, and was subsequently canned after a year.

Plus there are reports that Culley’s contract wasn’t guaranteed past two years. If that’s true, he should have known EXACTLY he was the guy up until they found someone they wanted.  

• Like (+1) 1

For those saying its unfair, I get where you are coming from but there is a lot of information the team has that is all internal.  Working with the guy for a year, seeing his leadership (or lack there of) in action.   It is possible they kept him with the same record if they feel like he is the guy to build them back up.  Also wonder if they are willing to try and patch things up with Watson and let him pick the coach like he wants (doubtful).

Edited by mattynh

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

For those saying its unfair, I get where you are coming from but there is a lot of information the team has that is all internal.  Working with the guy for a year, seeing his leadership (or lack there of) in action.   It is possible they kept him with the same record if they feel like he is the guy to build them back up.  Also wonder if they are willing to try and patch things up with Watson and let him pick the coach like he wants (doubtful).

Only a foolish owner would let a QB pick a coach .  You can have the QB talk to a coaching candidate to get input but the hiring decision always belongs to the person writing the check . Also, Watson is basically radioactive right now until his legal situation is resolved .  Not much the Texans can do with him .

4 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Only a foolish owner would let a QB pick a coach .  You can have the QB talk to a coaching candidate to get input but the hiring decision always belongs to the person writing the check . Also, Watson is basically radioactive right now until his legal situation is resolved .  Not much the Texans can do with him .

Watson never wanted to "pick the coach". As a matter of fact, he never asked or demanded to be part of it.

THE OWNER told him he would be part of the discussion, and then never bothered to reach out for any input. That is all on McNair for botching that situation in what could have easily been a simple phone call with Watson to let him feel heard.

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

Not much the Texans can do with him .

Now there's a bad idea for a B movie.  QB with all sorts of baggage goes on the run to avoid assassins.  The assassins are secretly in the employ of the team, who hold a big insurance policy on the QB, with  a 'double indemnity' clause. 🤔

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

20 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean they just hired the guy and he had no QB going into the season what were they really expecting from him?

They weren’t really!! They figured it would help them with the Deshaun Watson situation, IMO. I know there are only so many NFL HC jobs, but you can’t jump at any opportunity. I wouldn’t have never taken that job

13 hours ago, ßookie_tech said:

He's made some horrendous in game calls. He did decent with an awful roster awful roster, but his in game management was questionable. 

Sometimes when you’re dealing with crap, all you can do is throw it at the wall

37 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Texans might want Flores, but why would he want to go there?

UNLESS Watson agrees to play there (assuming he can) due to Flores coming in. 

Didn’t Flores NOT want Watson in Miami?

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

So you wouldn’t let Rodgers, Brady, Allen, Manning choose the HC they were comfortable with to coach them?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.