Texans Can Culley

Mike in Horseheads

That is like the biggest farce ever. 

That poor guy got handed the rawest of raw deals with the roster and the QB situation.

He actually managed to pull the team together and win over the Titans and the Chargers.

Now he's gotten canned after 1 season, while the Ravens get 2 - 3rd round draft picks as a reward for shoving the poor guy out the door into a crappy situation.

Sheesh.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Agree 17
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Until the situation with Watson is sorted out (both in terms of trading him if they are going to and his legal problems) that organization will go nowhere.

Literally doesn't matter who the coach is right now.

I feel bad for Culley however.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Maybe this has something to do with there now being an available Flores?

Exactly...Pellisaro just reported this on NFL network.   If I'm Flores, I take a hard pass.  That job is no better than Miami in terms of the way the organization is run.

• Like (+1) 1

Texans are mess. Culley seems like a good guy, the players apperared to like him, but he seems overmatched for today's NFL. In fairness, there are few coaches who could have succeeded in Houston this season and 2022 won't be much better. The team has a dead cap problem, still have the Watson issue. 

At least Culley has three more years on his contract. A nice retirement package. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

IDK he got coaching experience, was (almost) unanimously viewed as having done a good job with a bad situation, and got his name out there.

I think he got out of that mess looking pretty good.

Hope he got a decent contract that he will get paid several years without

having to do anything.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

I mocked the hire when it happened, but actually I think he did a pretty good job and the Texans were a tough out down the stretch. Sort of like the Lions in that the record might not be great but the roster is not that talented but they fight hard and showed some promise. 

He did a good job with what he had to work with but clearly he was in over his head.

11 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean they just hired the guy and he had no QB going into the season what were they really expecting from him?

Not even just no QB. That roster was almost completely devoid of talent. Caserio just hired him to take the L's for a year so that the coach he actually wants hopefully won't have a tainted record.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

He knew exactly what he signed up for taking this job. This can't be a surprise to him or anyone on staff, and if it is, that's their problem.

I wonder how quickly they can hire Flores? I assume they canned Culley so it wasn't too embarrassing when news leaked Flores was in the building for interviews.

4 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Exactly...Pellisaro just reported this on NFL network.   If I'm Flores, I take a hard pass.  That job is no better than Miami in terms of the way the organization is run.

Major difference is the GM in Houston likes Flores and has the owner's ear.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This is so unfair. 

It is clear now that they hired him as some stop gap In a lost season, who they could just throw away. So disrespectful.

He actually did a heck of a job— those guys played better and better and played hard for him. Just very unfair. 

You dont think he knew that going in?

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

And they have the QB Flores wanted in Miami.

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I mocked the hire when it happened, but actually I think he did a pretty good job and the Texans were a tough out down the stretch. Sort of like the Lions in that the record might not be great but the roster is not that talented but they fight hard and showed some promise. 

Agreed. They were in 10 games; won 4; almost beat the pats and titans. Culley developed Mills into the best rookie QB prospect this year. All the while, the Texans were trading away or releasing their best players. 

i don’t think Culley “signed up for this”— being a stop gap and quick fire.  From what I have read, he has a lot of character and integrity, and was trying to build a positive culture there— going to a place to just hold a title for a year doesn’t seem like his MO. He was Duped. 

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You dont think he knew that going in?

see above. I honestly think he didn’t know. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Sometimes you just SHOULDN'T  take the job…… he got pooched.

Nah, Culley has been ambitiously jockeying for positions for years now with the sole goal of becoming a HC, and not caring how bad or temporary the positions were. This is right in line with his MO. And I dont say that with any negative connotation. It simply is what it is.

He got a 5 YEAR deal, which will continue to pay him until he is 70. This is basically his retirement plan. He's fine.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That is like the biggest farce ever. 

Now he's gotten canned after 1 season, while the Ravens get 2 - 3rd round draft picks as a reward for shoving the poor guy out the door into a crappy situation.

Sheesh.

I'm not sure if the Ravens get the 2nd Compensatory pick.  I read this when we were talking about Frazier maybe getting a HC spot.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/14/nfl-compensatory-picks-for-minority-coaches-and-executives-explained/

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm not sure if the Ravens get the 2nd Compensatory pick.  I read this when we were talking about Frazier maybe getting a HC spot.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/14/nfl-compensatory-picks-for-minority-coaches-and-executives-explained/

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

He was with Baltimore for 2 seasons tho.

10 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I agree. The only way he’s one and done with that ridiculous chaotic situation is if they have identified a clear candidate.

If it’s not Flores I’d be very surprised. Reminder DW was interested in Miami primary because of Flores per media reports. But Culley  totally gets a raw deal! 

I actually thought this would happen from the get go. Culley seems like a good guy and a likeable person, was just a terrible situation. However, a year later and seeing a coach be 1 and done with that roster....gonna be difficult to get a good coach to come on board. 

Though I will say I kinda liked Davis Mills the back half of the season. Kid is pretty decent.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Oh is that what it means.  I read it as the Texans have to keep him hired for 2 years.

I guess "employer club" means the Ravens, right?

From what I can tell in what you pasted, yes.

The first line refers to "The employer-club" as the one receiving the draft picks. And in section b. they refer to the "employer-club" and the "new club".

This leads me to believe that Baltimore would be the employer-club and Houston the new club.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.