Diggs - bonus for 6 more catches - extension ?

First Round Bust

15 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Just an interesting side tought - when the agreement was signed, wasn't the season only 16 games?  I wonder how much the expansion to 17 games is costing teams in these kinds of bonuses.  I assume they are more than making up for it with the extra week of TV advertising revenue, plus gate, concessions, parking, etc.

Yeah, I thought about that too, Sack record is in danger etc bc of the extra week.  Overall, I don’t feel bad for the owners having to shell out some bonuses that wouldn’t have hit w out the extra week.  They are going to take in a lot of cash for it, now they have to pay a little of it out, oh well.  You wanted an extra game, now deal with it.

8 hours ago, Momma Pecoraro said:

Trade Diggs in the off season for a 1st rounder. Save the cap and the cash. Great talent and great guy. He is taking a beating in this offense and is 28. Speed will decrease and injuries will accumulate. Blowing $20 mil per on him is a waste with both lines as average.  Bills are without elite speed at wr (and have subpar speed at rb). 

Jefferson excels with the Vikings, they don't miss Diggs. Do similarly and draft a young stud (and dump Beasley too). Form a new core on rookie contracts. Maybe bring in a 25-27yo FA. The Bills brought in a past prime Sanders several years too late. He has been ineffective the second half of the season. Don't overpay declining assets. 

The QB is the centerpiece. That is dialed in for 10 years barring catastrophic injury. Everyone else should revolve around him interchangeably. 

I don’t think you can dump ALL of your performers at once, but I would let Diggs contract play out.  Beasley and Sanders can go this year.  I’d have no problem seeing McKenzie or a similar player out there for Beasley and I think we are watching Davis proclaim the job HIS on the outside.  He’s still not a bonafide #1 by any stretch, but he might be in a year with more looks and experience.  If Diggs continues to perform, give him sizable deals with little guaranteed so you can move on if you want.  He’s a small guy, I’m not going to risk the farm on him not getting hurt. 

13 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Yeah, I thought about that too, Sack record is in danger etc bc of the extra week.  Overall, I don’t feel bad for the owners having to shell out some bonuses that wouldn’t have hit w out the extra week.  They are going to take in a lot of cash for it, now they have to pay a little of it out, oh well.  You wanted an extra game, now deal with it.

NFL records should be per-game based, with the total always being a full season. For instance, in no way shape or form should Eric Dickerson hold the season rushing record; OJ had 2,003 in 14 games and averaged nearly 150 ypg. With two more games, he would have reached close to 2,300. He certainly would have passed 2,105. Now if Watt gets, say, 5 sacks in the final game, then he deserves the records given that he'll have won on the per-game-basis measure. 

6 minutes ago, eball said:

I'll guarantee you that there are, at a minimum, five people who are keenly aware of this:  Diggs, Allen, Daboll, McD, and Beane.  If Diggs doesn't get six catches on Sunday I will be stunned.

Diggs is genuinely underpaid relative to his production and positional importance, so I'm assuming Beane and McDermott are fine with him getting to 100. 

It’s interesting to see behaviors based on incentive. You could bet/fantasy knowing incentives….especially lopsided teams year end. 

—poyer + Hyde chuckle about a bogus interception at the goal line …  “my bonus!”

—AB there was some snarking about his incentive not being reached

—Diggs, ideally you sit him at half Jets but if he’s 2 catches away—2 yd hitch routes are coming…

$500k+ for easy work…it could really skew behaviors in some situations

13 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

NFL records should be per-game based, with the total always being a full season. For instance, in no way shape or form should Eric Dickerson hold the season rushing record; OJ had 2,003 in 14 games and averaged nearly 150 ypg. With two more games, he would have reached close to 2,300. He certainly would have passed 2,105. Now if Watt gets, say, 5 sacks in the final game, then he deserves the records given that he'll have won on the per-game-basis measure. 

Diggs is genuinely underpaid relative to his production and positional importance, so I'm assuming Beane and McDermott are fine with him getting to 100. 

And if he doesn’t get to 100 for reasons related to how the the game goes, you somehow roll the bonus into the new deal. You keep him happy. He’s done everything right since he got here. He’s josh’s guy through and through and that’s a huge priority. 

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

The cap is going up significantly over the next few years. Keep Diggs happy and paid. 

Agree on Diggs. The WR room will look different next year, imo. In all likeliness, Beasley and Sanders will be gone. We should pick up a (speedy) WR in rounds 1-3 and add a vet. Core for the forseeable future needs to consist of Diggs and Davis. 

13 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

We’re gonna have a ton of cap space once we cut Star LaTooLayLayonTheCouch and Truman Edmunds. 

Unfortunately Edmunds is under contract next year... he's not going anywhere. We will have to watch him take wrong gaps and get washed out of important plays for the next season for sure. 

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, chris heff said:

Don’t McDermott and Dabol have Josh throw the ball to him until he gets 6 catches? That’s what I would do, team would love this. 

Not if he’s not open. I’m all for getting Diggs his money, but I don’t want Josh to force it. The Jets proved last week they’re coming to play. 

We need to focus on winning, not getting Diggs a bonus. 

Also, if we know this information, you’d better believe the Jets know it now. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

44 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

While that makes total sense........that's the kind of thinking that keeps baseball stuck in 1960.

One of the nice things about the NFL(and the NBA too, actually) is that individual records/numbers aren't so "hallowed"............it helps the league be able to pivot much easier to always be making itself more entertaining.    

24 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Also, if we know this information, you’d better believe the Jets know it now. 

I agree. I think the Jets game plan was to leave our #1 WR uncovered until they found out he’s got a potential bonus coming. Should have kept that under wraps

• Haha (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

And if he doesn’t get to 100 for reasons related to how the the game goes, you somehow roll the bonus into the new deal. You keep him happy. He’s done everything right since he got here. He’s josh’s guy through and through and that’s a huge priority. 

Yes that little bonus is actually irrelevant IMO..........his deal was going to be re-worked this offseason either way.    They may want/need $40M of cap space to work with this offseason..........they have about $8-$10M to start with from the bump in the cap.........then can create about $20M-$25M thru sensible/likely cuts..........but they only have so many ways to create cap room elsewhere and that $18M cap hit is probably the easiest one to work on and Diggs is the most justifiable player to give extra guaranteed dollars. 

10 hours ago, Momma Pecoraro said:

Trade Diggs in the off season for a 1st rounder. Save the cap and the cash. Great talent and great guy. He is taking a beating in this offense and is 28. Speed will decrease and injuries will accumulate. Blowing $20 mil per on him is a waste with both lines as average.  Bills are without elite speed at wr (and have subpar speed at rb). 

Jefferson excels with the Vikings, they don't miss Diggs. Do similarly and draft a young stud (and dump Beasley too). Form a new core on rookie contracts. Maybe bring in a 25-27yo FA. The Bills brought in a past prime Sanders several years too late. He has been ineffective the second half of the season. Don't overpay declining assets. 

The QB is the centerpiece. That is dialed in for 10 years barring catastrophic injury. Everyone else should revolve around him interchangeably. 

really glad you're not the GM. We are way past the "cap and cash" crap. This team is going for a Superbowl win. Cap is not a worry

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I agree. I think the Jets game plan was to leave our #1 WR uncovered until they found out he’s got a potential bonus coming. Should have kept that under wraps

Wow. You should take that material on the road. 

At this point it should be very clear to everyone that while Josh is very good he has the tendency to try and fit balls in that might have been better off not thrown. Trying to hook up his buddy could lead to a few balls being forced into situations that he normally wouldn’t. 

If you don’t understand the job of a safety, I could see how you might not understand my original point. Obviously Diggs will be covered by a corner, but I could also see the safeties focusing on his routes knowing big buddy Josh might try and help out his pal. I know I would, they’re basically playing with house money. Might as well try and get a pick or two to help the ol’ stat sheet. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes that little bonus is actually irrelevant IMO..........his deal was going to be re-worked this offseason either way.    They may want/need $40M of cap space to work with this offseason..........they have about $8-$10M to start with from the bump in the cap.........then can create about $20M-$25M thru sensible/likely cuts..........but they only have so many ways to create cap room elsewhere and that $18M cap hit is probably the easiest one to work on and Diggs is the most justifiable player to give extra guaranteed dollars. 

Well, Diggs is on my fantasy team, so I have a rooting interest for him to get to 100 receptions.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Wow. You should take that material on the road. 

At this point it should be very clear to everyone that while Josh is very good he has the tendency to try and fit balls in that might have been better off not thrown. Trying to hook up his buddy could lead to a few balls being forced into situations that he normally wouldn’t. 

If you don’t understand the job of a safety, I could see how you might not understand my original point. Obviously Diggs will be covered by a corner, but I could also see the safeties focusing on his routes knowing big buddy Josh might try and help out his pal. I know I would, they’re basically playing with house money. Might as well try and get a pick or two to help the ol’ stat sheet. 

I was just busting you no worries. I don’t think they are going to cover our #1 WR any different because of a bonus. McD will get him his catches with screen/hitches/McKenzie-like sweeps. Hell Diggs is would be getting 10 targets even if there wasn’t a bonus involved.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

really glad you're not the GM. We are way past the "cap and cash" crap. This team is going for a Superbowl win. Cap is not a worry

Point missed. Spend at will on lines. Protect Allen, the most important asset. Diggs is or will be in decline soon. He takes a beating. He can be replaced in the draft on a rookie deal which frees more jack for the Bills' deficiencies.

Edited by Momma Pecoraro
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, Momma Pecoraro said:

Point missed. Spend at will on lines. Protect Allen, the most important asset. Diggs is or will be in decline soon. He takes a beating. He can be replaced in the draft on a rookie deal which frees more jack for the Bills' deficiencies.

Didn't miss the point. You don't trade away your best players. There will be enough money to spend on whatever the Bills need. A lot of vets will be gone after this season freeing up plenty of money. Diggs won't be one of them

11 minutes ago, nucci said:

Didn't miss the point. You don't trade away your best players. There will be enough money to spend on whatever the Bills need. A lot of vets will be gone after this season freeing up plenty of money. Diggs won't be one of them

You trade to improve your team and situation. The Bills are Josh Allen. Diggs is not built for the long haul at $20m per. Better too soon than too late. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Tap into the Bank of Diggs this offseason. Lowers his cap number. Gives him new money and adds term. Makes sense all around. At his age a 3 year extension will be little risk. 

I can see that happening Bobby.  A 3 year extension and take next year's cap down from $17M closer to $10M after they pay him a lot of cash in 

his signing bonus.  I think it's a high possibility.  He will cost a little more over $20M per year after that.

56 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I can see that happening Bobby.  A 3 year extension and take next year's cap down from $17M closer to $10M after they pay him a lot of cash in 

his signing bonus.  I think it's a high possibility.  He will cost a little more over $20M per year after that.

If anything, you want to give him a 5 year “extension”, you pay him a 30M signing bonus, this years salary gets reduced to 1 mill, the next goes to 5, next at 7, all guaranteed, then nothing guaranteed for years 4 and 5 of the deal, but the base can be crazy high, so he gets paid 43MM over 3 years, average of a 15.3M, but your cap hit is 7M, 11M, 13M, then you can restructure or post June 1 cut him and have 12 M dead cap, that can be spread over 2 years, or you work out his deal to be what it’s worth at that point.  Kick the can down the road, but don’t leave yourself too much dead cap that you can’t get around it. 

Obviously, my numbers are hypothetical, but it’s the basic framework that matters.

On 1/4/2022 at 3:58 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Remember when marrone purposely stopped throwing to Watkins his rookie year so he didn’t get to 1000 yards because he wanted to make the pick look bad to reflect poorly on Whaley?

The Board members will correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember that in either 1980 or 81 Joe Cribbs was due to get a bonus if he rushed for 1,200 yards in the season and they took him out early and he finished with 1,185 yards.

The team and the player relationship never recovered after that and he held out early in the strike year of 1982, but came back and average 90 yards a game and finished with 630 for the season (but after starting 2-0 before the strike and at one point being I believe 4-2 the Bills lost 3 straight to end the season and finished 4-5, one game out of the expanded playoffs...that is a story for a whole other thread), then he jumped to the USFL for 1983.  Came back briefly  in 1985 after that league folded.

For those of us old enough to remember we promise you younglings and those more recent fans...he was truly something special.  

EDIT:  Oh, and Happy Birthday, Mr. Cribbs.  64 years young today.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Was just hearing Chris Simms & Florio talking about individual incentives in contracts (in relation to Antonio Brown) & how they're a bad idea for those with a history of selfishness. 

Thankfully, Diggs has been a true team guy, and we don't have to worry about that. Allen might want to throw Diggs a few extra passes to help a buddy out though 👍

But AB? Yeah... pretty dumb to put those in his contract with his history. That guy is going to whine, cry & stomp his feet about getting the ball so he can get bonuses.

On 1/5/2022 at 1:18 PM, Momma Pecoraro said:

You trade to improve your team and situation. The Bills are Josh Allen. Diggs is not built for the long haul at $20m per. Better too soon than too late. 

They will extend and restructure to give themselves an out in a couple years if he declines. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/5/2022 at 10:48 AM, Momma Pecoraro said:

Replace Diggs with a rookie?  Mama Pecorino Romano!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.