• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Washington team that sucks at football ... or simply the WTF

The Washington Monuments

The Washington Insurrection

The Washington Weasels

The Washington Wankers

The Washington Doves ... I'll bet that name would offend people too.

I admit that I still call them the Skins or the WTF's and probably always will no matter what they rebrand themselves as.

Edited by frostbitmic
  • Like (+1) 1

I know it's not in contention, but I always thought the Washington Warriors would be a good name. Plus, it wouldn't drastically change the notion of the previous mascot, for those who wanted to hang on to it. 

7 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I thought this would be a good chance to get rid of the "Washington" part and go with something like the D.C. Destroyers or D.C. Dawgs.

A pretty good thought!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ßookie_tech said:

I know it's not in contention, but I always thought the Washington Warriors would be a good name. Plus, it wouldn't drastically change the notion of the previous mascot, for those who wanted to hang on to it. 

A pretty good thought!

I'm thinking they got with Washington RedHogs. Keeps the HTTR theme they have intact. Pays homage to the "Hogs". Little pig merchandising. Fans just say "The Hogs". Seems to fit well.

• Agree 1

If I was Daniel Snyder, it'd be the Washington L'Enfants and my mascot would be a guy dressed like an 18th Century aristocratic Frenchman who hurls spicy insults with a French accent like Sacha Baron Cohen did in Talladega Nights.  He'd essentially have a WWE entrance to every home game.  

24 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Would the “reds” have been acceptable? Like Cincinnati? I feel like that would have kind of sounded enough like the old name to where the transition would be easy.

Errrr…. That might bring up a little too much McCarthy era flashbacks.

12 minutes ago, dpberr said:

If I was Daniel Snyder, it'd be the Washington L'Enfants and my mascot would be a guy dressed like an 18th Century aristocratic Frenchman who hurls spicy insults with a French accent like Sacha Baron Cohen did in Talladega Nights.  He'd essentially have a WWE entrance to every home game.  

image.png.3acb86209635d74df9cc235be8336ce5.png

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, UConn James said:

Possible leak shared on a uni page, fwiw:

A comment below said, “Knowing football fans, I expect them to be called the Rear Admirals within a few minutes of the debut” if this is in fact what they go with.

012E6351-81CF-4A0E-9747-9283EB0DF064.jpeg

Interesting.

I kind of like the Admirals. 

9 minutes ago, UConn James said:

A comment below said, “Knowing football fans, I expect them to be called the Rear Admirals within a few minutes of the debut” if this is in fact what they go with.

The Admirals eh?  That's pretty feeble.  Who associates Washington with the Navy? Maybe if your target fanbase are the Royal Navy, since they sailed up the Chesapeake and set the place on fire?  

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Sounds like it will be the Red Tails per NFL radio

5 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Read somewhere recently that the 2 rumored finalists were red wolves and commanders.

There's apparently leaked images of parts of the jersey design that indicate it will be a military theme.  Red Tails isn't even on the short list of names reported this morning.

I still say "RED TAILS" is the way to go.   

It has a construct that is consistent with the old name, it honors black veterans in a predominantly black town that is also the seat of our federal government and military with zillions of military living in the area at any moment in time, and it gives rise to having really cool logo possibilities with a P-51 mustang.

It's almost perfect.  

s-l400.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

200.gif

Fighting Admirals 

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

I still say "RED TAILS" is the way to go.   

It has a construct that is consistent with the old name, it honors black veterans in a predominantly black town that is also the seat of our federal government and military with zillions of military living in the area at any moment in time, and it gives rise to having really cool logo possibilities with a P-51 mustang.

It's almost perfect.  

s-l400.jpg

look up Tuskegee 

bad things man bad things

46 minutes ago, UConn James said:

By the time you posted that, he had already acknowledged it meant nothing as domain names for other potential names did the same thing.

Washington Patriots.

1.  Removes some of the taint of politics in D.C.; patriot vs. politician.

2.  If it was good enough for the CFL, it's good enough for the NFL.

3.  New England gets extra conditional draft picks for name infringement.

4.  1ManRaid posted right above me. 😁

20 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

There's apparently leaked images of parts of the jersey design that indicate it will be a military theme.  Red Tails isn't even on the short list of names reported this morning.

They aren't leaks. WFT posted a video showing a sneak peek of the jerseys. It isn't necessarily military themed (though I think that's most likely); the stars and stripes on the jersey likely represent the DC flag (and potentially has a double meaning tying the military in).

The phrasing of their hype video, saying the team will launch in February or whatever might indicate that it's plane related, in which the Washington Armada would be pretty much the only finalist that makes sense.

26 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

200.gif

Fighting Admirals 

Unless you tell us your six year old designed that, we will pillory you over the lameness of that animation.  I have not seen an animation so bad since WGRZ used that anemic 'hopping rabbit' at Easter from the late 80s well into the 2000s. 🤨

😁

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.