Urban Meyer Canned

Dablitzkrieg

AND, one of 6 who might be hired as the new Jags HC...

"Brian Daboll, offensive coordinator, Buffalo Bills."

"The Bills made Daboll their offensive coordinator in 2018, where he has done a tremendous job of turning Josh Allen into a reliable and consistent NFL quarterback — not to mention fielding one of the NFL’s better offenses despite the fact that the Bills have no discernible run game. Daboll was a hot name last year, and though the Bills have cooled off on both sides of the ball recently, his ears are probably burning right now.

If you’re sensing a trend that we want a quarterback developer in Jacksonville for Mr. Lawrence, you are correct."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/6-potential-replacements-urban-meyer-130507698.html

32 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I missed this when it first happened, but probably my favorite Urban Meyer moment.

you can hear the bubbling....lol

27 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

"The Bills made Daboll their offensive coordinator in 2018, where he has done a tremendous job of turning Josh Allen into a reliable and consistent NFL quarterback — not to mention fielding one of the NFL’s better offenses despite the fact that the Bills have no discernible run game. Daboll was a hot name last year, and though the Bills have cooled off on both sides of the ball recently, his ears are probably burning right now.

If you’re sensing a trend that we want a quarterback developer in Jacksonville for Mr. Lawrence, you are correct."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/6-potential-replacements-urban-meyer-130507698.html

Goodbye Mr. Daboll.

30 minutes ago, Purplebulldog said:

Losing to these clowns ranks as one of worst losses ever.

Just goes to show the "any given Sunday" thing is real. One of the worst losses I remember was the 1984 Cowboys losing to the 0-11 Bills. It was great from the Bills side of things but the Cowboys must have been like WTF just happened. Those Bills teams in 84 and 85 were just as bad if not worse than the Jags.

37 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

i wouldn’t be upset about this anymore. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Too bad they can’t fire the owner.

S. Khan makes the Pegula's look passable in executive management decisions.  He's or his team has hired Mike Mularkey, Gus Bradley, Doug Marrone, and Urban Meyer during his tenure.  And hired, then fired Tom Coughlin.  Ouch. 

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

I'm glad this ahole is gone, but losing to him is even more embarrassing now.

Why?  He was a very successful college HC.

We're essentially a spread offense this year.  If there's one thing Meyer showed over and over he knew how to do, it's contain a spread offense.

He basically sketched it out in his presser that week.

OK, it's still embarrassing that we failed to see what they were doing on defense and make successful adjustments, but I think the close score (tied 6-6 at halftime) lulled us into a false view that we'd wear them down and come out in the 2nd half. 

So OK, you've persuaded me.  We should be highly embarrassed to lose to them.

• Haha (+1) 1

I think the "college coaches can't succeed in the NFL" thing is overblown a bit. 

The biggest difference is that many top college coaches aren't actually that good at coaching; they just have a lopsided talent advantage that gives them a "big name" in the sport. Give Dick Jauron a Pro Bowl roster comprised of the best AFC and NFC talent put together and he's going to rack up a lot of wins vs the Lions, Giants, Jaguars of the league, especially if he gets to have a hand in crafting his schedule to his advantage. The he plays the Bucs and loses and "just can't seem to win the big one" but his record is still really good and everyone pumps him up as a top guy. 

That said, there are many really good college coaches who would succeed in the NFL. Ball is ball. People are people. Of course there are differences, but we're not splitting the atom here; it's football and working with people. 

Chip Kelly was 26-21 in Philly in 3 years, which is a winning record. SF was a disaster when he went there. That was hopeless for anyone. Chip's issue was wanting to control everything the way you can in college, but he did pretty well I think as an NFL HC in Philly outside of the personal relationships (which of course are a big part of the job).

Nick Saban had a lot of NFL experience as a member of Belichick's staff in Cleveland, so he knew the game. He had no QB, which makes NFL football no fun. I think if he had a passion for NFL coaching he could do it and be very successful. Why would he, though? He's a celebrity on campus, always wins, and gets the best players. 

Jimmy Johnson was a ball coach. The guy knows football AND knows how to work with people. A lot of times these big name college coaches lack one or the other of those skills, because on campus you're a legend and your word is the word of God in some of these places. It's your players who you recruited who are there because they idolize you and will do whatever you say. 

AND you have a huge talent advantage most weeks. 

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why?  He was a very successful college HC.

We're essentially a spread offense this year.  If there's one thing Meyer showed over and over he knew how to do, it's contain a spread offense.

He basically sketched it out in his presser that week.

OK, it's still embarrassing that we failed to see what they were doing on defense and make successful adjustments, but I think the close score (tied 6-6 at halftime) lulled us into a false view that we'd wear them down and come out in the 2nd half. 

So OK, you've persuaded me.  We should be highly embarrassed to lose to them.

Agreed.

Josh McDaniels learned the spread from Urban Meyer.  Daboll learned it from Josh McDaniels.  We're running a Myers type offense that Myers understands implicitly.

Still embarrassing.   

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess, if it can be substantiated....Meyer says it didn't happen like that

"“Josh’s (Lambo) characterization of me and this incident is completely inaccurate, and there are eyewitnesses to refute his account,” Meyer said. “

Most teams do video some portions of practice.  Maybe they have a video record or other witnesses.  In any event, having him gone is good for all of the players in Jacksonville.

10 hours ago, MJS said:

Good. What a tool.

That's exactly what he would say. You don't expect him to come out and say "yeah, I did that". Even so, he didn't even refute that he kicked him, just that his "characterization" is inaccurate.

It's like these "fact checking" companies that file a claim as "false" because the claim says whatever happened at 4:20pm, but their "research" shows it was actually 4:24pm, so the entire claim is false.

2 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

I'm glad this ahole is gone, but losing to him is even more embarrassing now.

McDermott has lost to some pretty ***** one and done coaches including Meyer and Freddie Kitchens.

Like I've said for some time, this guy is not going to be here if/when the Bills do make it to and win a SB with Allen.

6 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

The real question is whether the interim replacement will actually run effing Robinson. Just barely squeaked into the fantasy playoffs because of less than half the production he normally gets the last couple games.

I have a feeling the Jags win the weekend. Not just because they play Houston. 

8 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

McDermott has lost to some pretty ***** one and done coaches including Meyer and Freddie Kitchens.

Like I've said for some time, this guy is not going to be here if/when the Bills do make it to and win a SB with Allen.

Come On Man!  You can't take individual game losses against a bad coach as an example of anything.  I remember when the Bills won 1 game in 1968 & it was against the Super Bowl champs.   Any given Sunday.  You convieniently forget how banged up the Bills, especially on the O-line, when Meyer won his game vs the Bills.  

McDermott will be here a long time, so if the Bills win a Super Bowl with Josh at QB, McDermott will be the coach. 

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

I think the "college coaches can't succeed in the NFL" thing is overblown a bit. 

The biggest difference is that many top college coaches aren't actually that good at coaching; they just have a lopsided talent advantage that gives them a "big name" in the sport. Give Dick Jauron a Pro Bowl roster comprised of the best AFC and NFC talent put together and he's going to rack up a lot of wins vs the Lions, Giants, Jaguars of the league, especially if he gets to have a hand in crafting his schedule to his advantage. The he plays the Bucs and loses and "just can't seem to win the big one" but his record is still really good and everyone pumps him up as a top guy. 

That said, there are many really good college coaches who would succeed in the NFL. Ball is ball. People are people. Of course there are differences, but we're not splitting the atom here; it's football and working with people. 

Chip Kelly was 26-21 in Philly in 3 years, which is a winning record. SF was a disaster when he went there. That was hopeless for anyone. Chip's issue was wanting to control everything the way you can in college, but he did pretty well I think as an NFL HC in Philly outside of the personal relationships (which of course are a big part of the job).

Nick Saban had a lot of NFL experience as a member of Belichick's staff in Cleveland, so he knew the game. He had no QB, which makes NFL football no fun. I think if he had a passion for NFL coaching he could do it and be very successful. Why would he, though? He's a celebrity on campus, always wins, and gets the best players. 

Jimmy Johnson was a ball coach. The guy knows football AND knows how to work with people. A lot of times these big name college coaches lack one or the other of those skills, because on campus you're a legend and your word is the word of God in some of these places. It's your players who you recruited who are there because they idolize you and will do whatever you say. 

AND you have a huge talent advantage most weeks. 

If they had signed Brees, I bet he is still coaching in Miami

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.