Personal Ultimatum to Maintain Sanity

cv05

I've been a bills fan since I was pretty young. The first game I remember watching was the music city miracle with my parents... Life as a bills fan can only be described as "perennial disappointment" for me. I thought it changed last year. I guess not.

Here's what I'm thinking is my way out. 2 ultimatums.

1. If the Bills draft a defensive player in the 1st round next year. I'm not watching any games unless they make the Superbowl. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll lose interest in this waste of time hobby I've been cursed with. 

2. If Allen ever gets traded or released, my fandom follows him. I think I could buy in there and escape. 

Maybe it would be a healthy mental excersize. Any other ultimatums out there for people?

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

Can’t do it. For better or worse, because of blood or otherwise, it’s a life sentence. At the end, while I thought I would stop caring as much as I reach almost a half century as Bills fan and this season is one of the most disappointing I have experienced, it’s still about family and nothing better than Bills fans. Last night really sucked though. Go Bills. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you can just decide to stop being a fan, then you really weren’t a fan to begin with. It’s easy to be in when things are going good. The real fans are still standing there when the dust settles and times are tough. I think we probably won’t make the playoffs now and last night absolutely wrecked me…but I still sat there depressing myself all day on the WGR app and on here and sure as ***** I will be there for every snap Sunday. The Bucs are going to humiliate us but there is 0 thought of not sitting through every second of it and just taking it.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, cv05 said:

I've been a bills fan since I was pretty young. The first game I remember watching was the music city miracle with my parents... Life as a bills fan can only be described as "perennial disappointment" for me. I thought it changed last year. I guess not.

1. If the Bills draft a defensive player in the 1st round next year. I'm not watching any games unless they make the Superbowl. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll lose interest in this waste of time hobby I've been cursed with. 

2. If Allen ever gets traded or released, my fandom follows him. I think I could buy in there and escape. 

Maybe it would be a healthy mental excersize. Any other ultimatums out there for people?

look around..there is a whole lot going on in the world right now that is worse than whats going on, on the football field...just relax and enjoy the game.   

there's fans on both sides of the ball..not everyone gets to be a winner all the time.

P.S   if you can't spell exercise correctly im not sure I can continue to read your posts! 

1 hour ago, cv05 said:

Politely meant, you’re a newcomer in terms of Bills history. If they drafted the next Bruce Smith, would you still be a holdout? 

Allen looks to be our LONG term QB, but he won’t be here forever. Kelly had a great run, but you have to move on. It’s the team that I’m a fan of, not just a player. 

It’s a game, and I love our team. As long as our TEAM is in WNY and I’m on this planet….. I’m all in. 

EDIT: If and when they suck, I just focus more on college hoops or find other alternatives, but I never leave my Bills. 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, cv05 said:

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If you can just decide to stop being a fan, then you really weren’t a fan to begin with. It’s easy to be in when things are going good. The real fans are still standing there when the dust settles and times are tough. I think we probably won’t make the playoffs now and last night absolutely wrecked me…but I still sat there depressing myself all day on the WGR app and on here and sure as ***** I will be there for every snap Sunday. The Bucs are going to humiliate us but there is 0 thought of not sitting through every second of it and just taking it.

What amazes me this past week is I feel like a large majority of the board lived through and stuck with the Bills through the drought. And there was more optimism at the tail end of the drought than there is now that we're competitive.

Anyone remember the video of the Bills fan coming off anesthesia and unconsciously ranting about how the Bills always let him down? 

Now is not the time to walk away from the Bills.

2 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

What amazes me this past week is I feel like a large majority of the board lived through and stuck with the Bills through the drought. And there was more optimism at the tail end of the drought than there is now that we're competitive.

Anyone remember the video of the Bills fan coming off anesthesia and unconsciously ranting about how the Bills always let him down? 

Now is not the time to walk away from the Bills.

I think the issue is that in the space of 7 weeks they have gone from SB favourites to battling to get a wildcard…

It’s looking a missed opportunity unless something remarkable happens…

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think the issue is that in the space of 7 weeks they have gone from SB favourites to battling to get a wildcard…

It’s looking a missed opportunity unless something remarkable happens…

Yup, I get that we went from  SB contenders (favourites would have been an overstatement IMO) to playoff contenders. But when we sucked folks would hit up the ESPN playoff machine and come up with unrealistic ways for us to sneak into the playoffs.

Now that we're 7-5 there's too much sentiment for my taste that we'll miss the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

Yup, I get that we went from  SB contenders (favourites would have been an overstatement IMO) to playoff contenders. But when we sucked folks would hit up the ESPN playoff machine and come up with unrealistic ways for us to sneak into the playoffs.

Now that we're 7-5 there's too much sentiment for my taste that we'll miss the playoffs. 

They were the SB betting favourites after they beat KC ..obviously in hindsight this wasn’t deserved ..

Lot of us thought though this was the year that they could challenge for a championship…I’ve followed them for decades ( maybe not as long as you) but just making the playoffs and being one and done will be a disappointment this year.., particularly when the AFC  looks weak and there for the taking…

• Like (+1) 1

OP. I get the frustration. And I am a McDermott skeptic. But he is a decent coach and this franchise has been much much worse. I don't think McDermott will win the SB and I think Beane is not aggressive enough to win now. But go watch any video clip from 1985 or look at the moves Marv Levy made as GM. It could be much worse.

That said I am unabashedly win now at all costs. The window with Allen is going to slam shut soon. That is why I get rid of McDermott now and go all in this off season. I am willing to risk it getting worse for the chance they win it all with a real coach.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

They were the SB betting favourites after they beat KC ..obviously in hindsight this wasn’t deserved ..

Lot of us thought though this was the year that they could challenge for a championship…I’ve followed them for decades ( maybe not as long as you) but just making the playoffs and being one and done will be a disappointment this year.., particularly when the AFC  looks weak and there for the taking…

When the season started I had the Bills as legit SB contenders. As it stands now I have them downgraded as playoff contenders.

Not making the playoffs or making the playoffs and being one and done would be be a huge disappointment for me this year. I see the warts but I still see the potential for a post season run. I'm gonna ride it out because we've never won a game in the off season and watching the Bills win games makes me happy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

OP. I get the frustration. And I am a McDermott skeptic. But he is a decent coach and this franchise has been much much worse. I don't think McDermott will win the SB and I think Beane is not aggressive enough to win now. But go watch any video clip from 1985 or look at the moves Marv Levy made as GM. It could be much worse.

That said I am unabashedly win now at all costs. The window with Allen is going to slam shut soon. That is why I get rid of McDermott now and go all in this off season. I am willing to risk it getting worse for the chance they win it all with a real coach.

Sure, let’s start over with the coaching roulette. Who EXACTLY are you going to get who will be the guaranteed difference maker? How will they change the scheme? How many players do we have to ditch to accommodate the new scheme? How many draft picks will that consume? How will it affect the cap? Let’s start from scratch and roll the dice. What a plan! 

OR, how about we address the OLine and a few other positions, while keeping the HC who keeps taking us to the playoffs and had us in the AFCCG just last season. 

GEEZ, talk about some whining and overreaction! 

Edited by Augie

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

Sure, let’s start over with the coaching roulette. Who EXACTLY are you going to get who will be the guaranteed difference maker? How will they change the scheme? How many players do we have to ditch to accommodate the new scheme? How many draft picks will that consume? How will it affect the cap? Let’s start from scratch and roll the dice. What a plan! 

OR, how about we address the OLine and a few other positions, while keeping the HC who keeps taking us to the playoffs and had us in the AFCCG just last season. 

+1 @Augie

But I will admit that comparisons of Sean to guys like Marty Schottenheimer aren't easily dismissed. Look at the 1st quarter last night.

2 hours ago, cv05 said:

200.gif

3 hours ago, cv05 said:

You’ve thought this out in too much detail…

a simple “I’m so done with this team” will suffice. 

4 hours ago, mjfbillsfan said:

Can’t do it. For better or worse, because of blood or otherwise, it’s a life sentence. At the end, while I thought I would stop caring as much as I reach almost a half century as Bills fan and this season is one of the most disappointing I have experienced, it’s still about family and nothing better than Bills fans. Last night really sucked though. Go Bills. 

Hey, if I can abandon all 7 of my children then I'm sure I can give up on a mere football team

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Being a loyal Bills fan is exhausting. I've done it for 55 years. Just when they suck you in, they let you down.

That's what makes me tempted to sever the emotional investment.  If I was a lions fan, I  would know ahead of time my team is bad.

During the drought,  I think buffalo had 2 or 3 different 5-2 starts only to collapse the rest of the season.  Now the team (and some offseason media hype) had the fans expecting a much higher quality season than what is being delivered.  The Bills give one just enough hope only to make the inevitable implosion that much more depressing.

My personal ultimatum?

If the Bills move out of Buffalo, I am done.  (And I pray everyday that they move so that I can avoid the gut wrenching Mondays, or Tuesdays, or Fridays, and I can regain my Sundays to do as I please.)

As long as the Bills remain in Buffalo, I am doomed to watch and root for them.

9 hours ago, cv05 said:

Here's the thing...if you came on a BILLS message board to talk about your issues with being too emotionally invested in the BILLS. You are already a lost cause, just like the rest of us. Accept your lot in life and stop making threads like this. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Augie said:

Rex Ryan, Doug Marrone. Just two names off the top of my head that are capable of taking a team to the AFCCG. They’re available!

but seriously, McDermott hasn’t won anything other than an AFC east that had 3 teams in early rebuild. If last years offense can show up again I’m all for keeping him.

Otherwise, his in-game decisions are going to handcuff any real chance of a super bowl. 

someone mentioned Doug Pederson as an upgrade. I’m not completely sure what went wrong in Philly but I think a lot of injuries were involved. 

edit: as for the roster turnover; I believe we are in store for that anyway.

Edited by Rock-A-Bye Beasley

10 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If you really believe that then you need to go put $$ on TB now - since the line is -3.  This mean that Vegas believes that the Bills/Bucs is a tie on a neutral field.  Despite the Bills issues and lack of continuity so far, a lot of people still think they are a Superbowl favorite.

OP, it’s all relative and cyclical. Ever tried your hand at being a Bengals fan for example? Point being, each team has its chapters of ups and downs, and the downs help the eventual ups be that much sweeter/mean more. I’ve invested too much of my life into this team to jump ship now—nothing else as a Plan B rooting interest would feel near as authentic doing so, fwiw. 

10 hours ago, Augie said:

Politely meant, you’re a newcomer in terms of Bills history. If they drafted the next Bruce Smith, would you still be a holdout? 

Allen looks to be our LONG term QB, but he won’t be here forever. Kelly had a great run, but you have to move on. It’s the team that I’m a fan of, not just a player. 

It’s a game, and I love our team. As long as our TEAM is in WNY and I’m on this planet….. I’m all in. 

EDIT: If and when they suck, I just focus more on college hoops or find other alternatives, but I never leave my Bills. 

Since Bruce Smith, what team has drafted "the next Bruce Smith"?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.