11/21 Colts at Bills, Postgame Postmortem Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

1 minute ago, Herc11 said:

We really need to adjust the defense out of these nickel formations when we play these run heavy teams. They run it down our throat and we continue to leave Johnson out there.

I had that question about the Colts game - I thought it might have been better to pull Johnson and play our 4-3 base.

But with Edmunds out it has to be asked if Klein at MLB and Dodson for Johnson would be a talent drop

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That’s a really fair take.  We have one of the most expensive DL, and at this point have a number of high draft picks invested

It has to be said that the ROI is poor.

That said….I do wonder how coaching plays a factor.  I can’t help noticing that when McDermott and Frazier start talking in pressers about how we “hope we can come up with a plan to limit their big plays” it seems to be a cue that they really don’t have a plan and we’re gonna see a butt-whupping

On a simpler level - they build this D to stop the pass, and kept investing that way while other teams were switching to go physical and big against nickel fronts.  The Patriots are succeeding with tons of TEs and a power running game.  The entire concept of the Bills’ build was flawed, or at least it became flawed and they didn’t adjust.

• Agree 1

We're not moving forward until we fire Sean McDermott he's not getting us anywhere.  Folks lock out my USC takes and don't listen to the La Salle talks and treat me like I'm doxxing him.  Sorry folks two years in inventories analysis and I can spot when someone is running a long con-artist game and a fraud operation.  And, Sean has that to the hilt.  

• Eyeroll 7
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had that question about the Colts game - I thought it might have been better to pull Johnson and play our 4-3 base.

But with Edmunds out it has to be asked if Klein at MLB and Dodson for Johnson would be a talent drop

True, but I'd rather take the gamble to stop the run and make Wentz beat us

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jkeerie said:

The one thing I hate about the Bills losing, is it brings out all the termites with their negative takes that otherswise remain hidden in the woodwork when the Bills play well.  Okay...the Bills suck today.  They're playing a more desparate team with the best back in the league and without key players.  Okay.  That does not negate what this team has accomplished since Beane and McD have arrived.   Believe me, this beat down is hurting them worse than it hurts us.   Are they overrated?  Perhaps.  Today, it certainly looks so.  We're not the best team in the AFC and we aren't the worst.  We no longer lead the division and the hated Patriots do.  There's more football to be played.  There are no runaway teams this year in either conference.   I'm going to enjoy the sport.  Hope the Bills get healthy and gather themselves for the rest of the season and let the chips fall where they may.  At this juncture, my real reason for pulling for the Bills to win, is to weed out all the faux fans who frequent the boards when the Bills play like crap.  

There's a difference between losing a close road game to a division leader, and absolutely looking like they never got off the team bus. Two poor games in the last 3 weeks. Of course I want the team to win, but right now there are definitely some major issues with them that can't be ignored or glossed over.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They did play their 4-3 vs the Titans and that didn't do any good. I think it's the DL. They have to be more stout vs the run.

• Agree 1

I would’ve been all for a defensive gameplan that sold out to stop the run. I don’t care if you put 8 or 9 in the box, don’t let Taylor beat you. Bills played 4 down lineman all game, 7 box looks the majority of the game. Never adjusted.

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

The one thing I hate about the Bills losing, is it brings out all the termites with their negative takes that otherswise remain hidden in the woodwork when the Bills play well.  Okay...the Bills suck today.  They're playing a more desparate team with the best back in the league and without key players.  Okay.  That does not negate what this team has accomplished since Beane and McD have arrived.   Believe me, this beat down is hurting them worse than it hurts us.   Are they overrated?  Perhaps.  Today, it certainly looks so.  We're not the best team in the AFC and we aren't the worst.  We no longer lead the division and the hated Patriots do.  There's more football to be played.  There are no runaway teams this year in either conference.   I'm going to enjoy the sport.  Hope the Bills get healthy and gather themselves for the rest of the season and let the chips fall where they may.  At this juncture, my real reason for pulling for the Bills to win, is to weed out all the faux fans who frequent the boards when the Bills play like crap.  

Oh god spare me the you can't call out this team deficiencies or you're not a real fan stuff.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This team isn't taking their chance at winning a super bowl seriously. They thought the KC game was their super bowl. 

They need to regroup and take a good hard look in the mirror and stop all the fun and games and get back to business like last year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Defense needs a rethink. We cannot stop the run against quality teams. I trust that McDermott and Fraiser can mae the necessary adjustments so we can be sucessful against quality teams.

I do too… but I’m starting to lose faith in them tbh.  

This year has been a gut punch.  To be 6-4, looking like how we look right now is really tough to swallow.  

McDermott back to coaching conservative and scared. 

And the kicker is, the issues we face are all issues the fans saw coming… Interior Offensive Line, Run Game and Run Defense.  

We re-signed our own, swapped out a WR and drafted two EDGE rushers in the 1st & 2nd Rounds of the Draft.  

Credit where it’s due on Spencer Brown, but that not enough right now. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I think on the D line, investing in the smaller quicker guys to have a chance at getting at the quarterback isn't working. So now along with not being able to get to the quarterback we can't hold the line or stop the run.

Bills are a good defense if they can force a team to be one dimensional but that's the only time

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, vincec said:

They did play their 4-3 vs the Titans and that didn't do any good. I think it's the DL. They have to be more stout vs the run.

Outside of one long 76 yard TD run where multiple holds were missed, Henry was contained. He had like less than 3 YPC. Something like 19 for 58 yards

I will say this in summation. No team that gets dominated like that in a big game, at home, will be a threat to win the Super bowl. That dream has died today.  They might still be able to sneak in as a wild card but not sure. Too may other AFC teams have 6-7 wins already. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jlgarsh said:

There's a difference between losing a close road game to a division leader, and absolutely looking like they never got off the team bus. Two poor games in the last 3 weeks. Of course I want the team to win, but right now there are definitely some major issues with them that can't be ignored or glossed over.

I couldn't agree with you more.  But fixing issues that need to be fixed versus blowing everything up is quite a different response to today's poor effort.

Just now, zow2 said:

I will say this in summation. No team that gets dominated like that in a big game, at home, will be a threat to win the Super bowl. That dream has died today.  They might still be able to sneak in as a wild card but not sure. Too may other AFC teams have 6-7 wins already. 

Have to agree there - no sane person would pick this team to win a super bowl.  Opportunity squandered.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

agreed, fans overreact to losses and over hype the wins, its what we do, the bills were never as good as the hype (most teams in NFL prove not to be) and we prob not as bad as we looked today. somewhere in the middle with the rest of the flawed NFL teams, the only thing we can hope for is they figure out how to improve some things and get hot down the stretch. Not sayin its gonna happen but one of these 32 teams has to get hot and make a Super Bowl run.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Unlike some here… I’m going to keep following the team and hoping for the best until they are either mathematically eliminated or they lose in the playoffs…

But after experiencing the highs of six weeks ago when they beat the Chiefs to what we have seen since is disappointing though… was really hoping for a special year…

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.