11/21 Colts at Bills, Postgame Postmortem Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

I'm drinking. As good of a time as any to drink.  Not because of the game, but for all the doom and gloom comments. The Bills need to improve, no question. But to think this isn't a playoff team, and calls to fire McDermott or Beane is just stupid *****. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’d rather them try to go back to 2019 here. Last year was just a perfect storm. It’s not sustainable. We never paid for throwing so much. No crowd noise, everything broke right for us. This offense is figured out. Go back to the under center play action. Stop putting it all on josh. Give that 2019 offense Diggs and Knox and a much better Josh Allen and that team kills this one. Forget last year. Bring it back to 19 and stop with this constant spread

They will figure it out. They are too good not to.

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’d rather them try to go back to 2019 here. Last year was just a perfect storm. It’s not sustainable. We never paid for throwing so much. No crowd noise, everything broke right for us. This offense is figured out. Go back to the under center play action. Stop putting it all on josh. Give that 2019 offense Diggs and Knox and a much better Josh Allen and that team kills this one. Forget last year. Bring it back to 19 and stop with this constant spread

Yeah, it looked great against the Jets, but Daboll seems to keep backsliding into that shotgun look. I don't really get it, and I can't say it would be better with someone else, but there are enough red flags that I'm about ready to see somebody else run the offense.

40 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

1) we don’t match-up well with the colts, but even moreso without Star

and Edmunds.

2) the weather hurt us and helped them. 

3) Josh continues to fight what the defense gives him. He could have cut them up with a million passes to Beasley, but tried to force too much down field. 

This is the best take on the game I've read so far. Admirably succinct, too. The first and third points are worrisome. I just hope Star and Edmunds can make up the gulf between their offense and our defense. And Allen refusing to play the Tom Brady role of short passes, being patient, has lost them at least two games so far. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Afterglow:

1. The post mortem of this season when all is said, done and written, is that the Bills D line lacks a disruptive force.  A game changing player.

2. Taylor was the man.  

3. The Mckenzie fumble and subsequent freebie TD for the Colts sealed the game.

4. Picking on Ford for just a minute, that false start wiped away a sure first down.  The subsequent holding and missed FG only confirmed what you could feel.  This was not going to be the Bills day today.

5. Days like today really highlight the fact that you need a real running game.  

6. NE is in first, but a win Thursday and the following Monday can right the ship.

7. Glad I didn't have to sit through that weather today.

8.  Bad penalties are really hurting this team.

9. Wentz really likes playing in Buffalo.. Apparently.. 😞

10. Knox had a, good day -- bad day, kind of game

11.  I was hoping around mad in the first half.  I was just resigned to the defeat in the second half and had zero emotion.  I guess I was emulating my Team's play.  No emotion.

Just now, finn said:

This is the best take on the game I've read so far. Admirably succinct, too. The first and third points are worrisome. I just hope Star and Edmunds can make up the gulf between their offense and our defense. And Allen refusing to play the Tom Brady role of short passes, being patient, has lost them at least two games so far. 

To your last point, I need to see the All-22 but it doesn't look like those short routes are there that often. 

Ugh. After any loss, I avoid TSW for a few days, it's too depressing.

But after this loss I may avoid TSW for much more than "a few days." This place is going to be uber negative for sometime to come.

And if we lose to NOLA.. don't even think about it.

Officially sound the alarm bells. Panic mode is very close if Bills lose another game. 

Allen does not look very good way too often. I know it’s tough to admit and we can throw out stats to say otherwise. But watch the film of this year vs the last half of last season. 

We are soft. We get out hit. We lack toughness. 

We are undisciplined. Penalties and mental mistakes. 

Wallace gets picked on. Again, people will say he is not that bad. But in key plays he is always the target. The bills knew this and failed to address. 

Our pass rush still sucks after a ton of resources. Tried to address but failed. 

OL is bad. Again, failed to address. 

May want to deny, but this season is teetering on disaster. 

50 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had that question about the Colts game - I thought it might have been better to pull Johnson and play our 4-3 base.

But with Edmunds out it has to be asked if Klein at MLB and Dodson for Johnson would be a talent drop

Definitely needed more players in the box than two LBs plus Poyer.  By the time we did adjust to that we made mental errors in other phases of the game.  Turnovers, penalties, drops …. 

The special teams fumble put us away.  

We had a few people out and no one stepped up.  No one made a timely play.  

I think McDermott just confirmed that Brown and Star aren’t vaxxed. He was asked about both and said “I respect those guys’ decisions … etc” Just bring it up so we can not waste time looking for brown’s status to change for Thursday

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

At this point, I'm wondering if the team needs a wakeup call. Like when the Ravens brought in Caldwell as OC mid-season and won the Superbowl,  or when Pat Riley took over the Heat who were underperformed and led them to a title with Wade and Shaq. (Or Phil Jackson in for Doug Collins). Something isn't connecting right now, and the whole is way less than the sum of the parts. 

I agree. It's like they're not hungry, or they expect someone else will step up. To be fair, the defense has been playing lights out all year. I think they're owed a dud or two in a season. But the offense is not doing well. Even when Allen had time to throw today he wasn't connecting much. Could be the weather in part. But you don't sense much urgency or caring. Is that on the head coach? Maybe. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I think McDermott just confirmed that Brown and Star aren’t vaxxed. He was asked about both and said “I respect those guys’ decisions … etc” Just bring it up so we can not waste time looking for brown’s status to change for Thursdays 

Apparently we need Star even more. Hopefully the Bills get smart and leave Williams inside and just deal with RT. Maybe Bates. Stop making 1 hole into 2.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think McDermott just confirmed that Brown and Star aren’t vaxxed. He was asked about both and said “I respect those guys’ decisions … etc” Just bring it up so we can not waste time looking for brown’s status to change for Thursday

Sure looked pissed when he said it though

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills probably have one of the lowest vaccination rates in the NFL. Say what you will about personal decisions and all that but it puts us at a competitive disadvantage regardless.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

Hope they go rounds 1 through 5 on all o lineman and then find a good back in free agency

Need a one-technique D-tackle. And a WR, too. But I'm with you in spirit. Picking nothing but guards for all the rounds, and adding two more elite ones in free agency, would be deeply satisfying. 

58 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

We're not moving forward until we fire Sean McDermott he's not getting us anywhere.  Folks lock out my USC takes and don't listen to the La Salle talks and treat me like I'm doxxing him.  Sorry folks two years in inventories analysis and I can spot when someone is running a long con-artist game and a fraud operation.  And, Sean has that to the hilt.  

Asking for a friend, can people be fired from posting on message boards? 

Edited by gobills1212
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, finn said:

I agree. It's like they're not hungry, or they expect someone else will step up. To be fair, the defense has been playing lights out all year. I think they're owed a dud or two in a season. But the offense is not doing well. Even when Allen had time to throw today he wasn't connecting much. Could be the weather in part. But you don't sense much urgency or caring. Is that on the head coach? Maybe. 

The defense is playing well in spite of the offense allowing teams to stay in games. Can you imagine what the D would look like if the O would jump out to a lead and force opposing teams to become one dimensional? 

11 minutes ago, finn said:

Allen was not the problem.  Sure, he had a bad pick after penalties turned a sure first down into 3rd and 18.  

How many drops?  I counted 5 in a row in the 3Q alone.  

The blocking is terrible.  We cannot function with 2 OL injured. We have no backups.  

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

My uncle said before the game the 2 linebackers wasnt going to work against Taylor.   It was that obvious to a lot of people except the Bills coaching staff.

People on here said to “let him get his yards he can’t win a game by himself” (~~) because this is the new NFL and you need to throw for 400 yds to win.

• Haha (+1) 1

THIS is why the Jags game hurts so much.  The team never should have lost that - too careless, too self-absorbed.  They bought their own hype and took some games too casually.

Now, it's almost must-win the rest of the way.  Very little margin for error - during the toughest part of our schedule.

I still believe they can morph into the team they were after the Hail Murray last year - but it certainly won't shock me if they don't, and if this is what we have.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jlgarsh said:

At this point, I'm wondering if the team needs a wakeup call. Like when the Ravens brought in Caldwell as OC mid-season and won the Superbowl,  or when Pat Riley took over the Heat who were underperformed and led them to a title with Wade and Shaq. (Or Phil Jackson in for Doug Collins). Something isn't connecting right now, and the whole is way less than the sum of the parts. 

The Steelers game was a wakeup call.

The Titans game was a wakeup call,

The Jax game was a wakeup call... we hear this after every loss this season. Wakeup call, learning experience, blah blah blah

Edited by klos63
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Of course Brown isn’t vaxxed. Look what he re-tweets. Respecting his decision to be selfish on a team that preaches “process” is oxymoronic.

Sorry if this sounds political, mostly just pointing out coaches’ hypocrisy.

Edited by Best Williams Available
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

We cannot function with 2 OL injured. We have no backups.  

Brown is not “injured” any more than Star is.  Calling them “injured” conveys the sense that they’re out because of something they did while trying to help the team.   For them it’s the complete opposite.  Call them what they are.  Unvaccinated selfish idiots. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Dislike 3

I get really upset when we hear how Coach is Mr. Process and detail oriented, but yet the Bills are consistently committing tons of penalties every week. It's so sad after every big play I have to hold my breath because of a flag.

And part of that is on the crap refs, but our team is consistently committing a lot of penalties. It's been this way since he started here.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.