11/21 Colts at Bills, Postgame Postmortem Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

Just now, vincec said:

Daboll doubled down on his philosophy at his press conference this week. He downplayed the value or need for "balance" and kept saying that they will do whatever it takes each week, whether that's passing on every play or running on every play. What's odd is that passing on every play always seems to be the answer.

Defense sucked today, and got the team behind the 8 ball early.  Then McKenzie's fumble sealed it.  Playcalling would have changed nothing today,

4 minutes ago, Casey D said:

Defense sucked today, and got the team behind the 8 ball early.  Then McKenzie's fumble sealed it.  Playcalling would have changed nothing today,

Interestingly, at Fraziers PC, he was asked about making adjustments during games and he said that they try not to make major changes during games because it creates doubt in the players minds about the game plan. I was thinking of that today as the Colts ran the ball right down their throats the entire game with apparently no adjustments at all by the defense.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1

When players don't take all the steps necessary to protect themselves as much as possible against illness and then miss games because of it, I think the fans and their team mates have a right to be mad about it.  I remember when Bruce Smith got the flu and missed the playoff game at Pittsburg after not getting the flu shot that year.  What a gut punch!  Injuries on the field are not something that can be eradicated, but this type of thing is avoidable.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 2

Just a bad game from everyone. I Def understand when trailing you become unbalanced. I just feel teams stick to their philosophy too much at times. To me, brieda looks that part let's get him a few touches early so they have to think about speed a little. Idk I just feel daboll has been off this year, the creativity last year seemed way better. Maybe I'm wrong and it just was a bad game plain and simple. Sucks, good news we have 4 days to hopefully forget about this butt whipping. Go bills! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I am all for more RB runs, but it cannot be overlooked that we were down 24-7 by halftime. Lots of teams get unbalanced in that situation. We really lost this game in the first quarter.

I acknowledge your reasoning but no team suffers a loss in the 1st quarter.  Even down 28-0 there is still a lot of game left.

I seldom criticize Daboll but he has to take some heat for the last 3 losses.  DCs are learning to beat his offense and he needs to adjust.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, vincec said:

Interestingly, at Fraziers PC, he was asked about making adjustments during games and he said that they try not to make major adjustments during games because it creates doubt in the players minds about the game plan. I was thinking of that today as the Colts ran the ball right down their throats the entire game with apparently no adjustments at all by the defense.

I can’t believe an NFL coordinator with former head coaching experience thinks his game plans are so infallible that you keep running plays that obviously aren’t working. What kind of arrogance underlies this idea? Your fragile ego can’t handle the criticism and your fragile players can’t be allowed to doubt your genius? If this is McD’s doing it explains a lot about the subpar aspects of the process.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I acknowledge your reasoning but no team suffers a loss in the 1st quarter.  Even down 28-0 there is still a lot of game left.

I seldom criticize Daboll but he has to take some heat for the last 3 losses.  DCs are learning to beat his offense and he needs to adjust.

Last week was amazing adjustments he did. This week awful. Just hope doesn't continue. On and off game's. Or whatever.

8 minutes ago, vincec said:

Interestingly, at Fraziers PC, he was asked about making adjustments during games and he said that they try not to make major changes during games because it creates doubt in the players minds about the game plan. I was thinking of that today as the Colts ran the ball right down their throats the entire game with apparently no adjustments at all by the defense.

Sounds like General MacArthur during the Korean War.  Didn’t go well.  (The Patriots are China.)

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, jkeerie said:

The one thing I hate about the Bills losing, is it brings out all the termites with their negative takes that otherswise remain hidden in the woodwork when the Bills play well.  Okay...the Bills suck today.  They're playing a more desparate team with the best back in the league and without key players.  Okay.  That does not negate what this team has accomplished since Beane and McD have arrived.   Believe me, this beat down is hurting them worse than it hurts us.   Are they overrated?  Perhaps.  Today, it certainly looks so.  We're not the best team in the AFC and we aren't the worst.  We no longer lead the division and the hated Patriots do.  There's more football to be played.  There are no runaway teams this year in either conference.   I'm going to enjoy the sport.  Hope the Bills get healthy and gather themselves for the rest of the season and let the chips fall where they may.  At this juncture, my real reason for pulling for the Bills to win, is to weed out all the faux fans who frequent the boards when the Bills play like crap.  

Agreed. Win the next two games and we're sitting at 8 - 4 and first place in the AFC East. 

We can all agree that the Bills sucked today. If they don't play better there won't even be a wild card playoff game in the Bills future this season.  I get that.  But then again five weeks ago that's what EVERYONE was saying about KC when they sat at 3 - 4 after having gotten beaten badly by the Bills & Titans. Now they've won four in a row and are the 2nd hottest team in the AFC after NE.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Sabres give up game winning goal with 0.7 seconds left.  LOL.  Someone kick me in the nuts and we'll call it a day.

I’m a big ranger fan and today has just been ***** miserable thanks to the bills. When they scored there I was obviously thrilled but immediately thought about my people on here. Knowing I’m in the minority as a down state Bills fan. Rough day for Buffalo. Had the rangers lost that game I’d probably putting my head thru the wall

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, colin said:

This offense has been a disaster every game brown hasn't played.  Allen and diggs haven't missed a snap due to injury, and our o still can't be the slightest bit consistent.

Ford on the field is a guaranteed loss it seems.

It's insane that our depth at ol goes from just about top O to worthless w one or two guys out.  It's gotta be coaching, because Indy crushed our passing attack today, and they were missing both starting safeties.

i have seen this take a lot today. Maybe i am missing something, but the protection seemed to be totally

fine today by the oline, and Ford wasn’t noticeably bad. In fact, the line looked good on some of those outside zone runs. 

Again, I could be off on this, but I am

chalking up the bad passing game to execution errors (drops, errant passes), weather, and poor decision making by JA.

Just now, Steptide said:

Weird question. When the bills lose, why does it take McDermott so long for his post game presser? Is he talking to the other coaches/staff before hand? Or maybe just taking some extra time to accept the loss? 

Probably taking some time to calm down so he doesn't say something stupid at the PC.

23 minutes ago, vincec said:

Daboll doubled down on his philosophy at his press conference this week. He downplayed the value or need for "balance" and kept saying that they will do whatever it takes each week, whether that's passing on every play or running on every play. What's odd is that passing on every play always seems to be the answer. Actually, if you think about the OL and RBs that they have then maybe it's not so odd.

I think there is a philosophical divide between McDermott and Daboll where McDermott believes we need to have a capable run threat in every game and Daboll looks at a poor or injured defensive secondary and licks his chops and says “that’s what we’ll exploit this game!”.

And it’s not working for us

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i have seen this take a lot today. Maybe i am missing something, but the protection seemed to be totally

fine today by the oline, and Ford wasn’t noticeably bad. In fact, the line looked good on some of those outside zone runs. 

chalking up the bad passing game to execution errors (drops, errant passes), weather, and poor decision making by JA.

Yeah, to blame this one on the o-line is puzzling. I saw it the same way you did. Cody Ford needs to go but he wasn’t too bad today. Outside of his false start, followed up by Morse’s hold, I didn’t find myself bitching about their play.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

They are soft. There's no doubt. And that's a total reflection on your HC. Along with all these penalties we've seen this season. Hey Sean there's a glitch in the process.

Last year may have instilled an unjustified sense of confidence. Teams may trend in a direction from one year to the next, but last year's success means nothing for this year. Obvious needs in the OL weren't addressed, the changes to the DL were insufficient. The Chiefs are the only team with an above .500 record the Bills have beaten. They are not a playoff caliber team at the moment, and I'm not sure they will make it. They could very easily lose 4 of the next 5 games, and 9-8 won't make the playoffs.

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

1) we don’t match-up well with the colts, but even moreso without Star

and Edmunds.

2) the weather hurt us and helped them. 

3) Josh continues to fight what the defense gives him. He could have cut them up with a million passes to Beasley, but tried to force too much down field. 

There's only so much you can do with the dump offs and the Bills did a lot of that today.  But with a penalty prone O-line that cant pass protect and a non-existent running game it only takes one negative yardage play or a penalty to wreck your check down Charlie offense.

In the first half today the Bills had the ball THREE times. That's right - THREE FREAKING TIMES.  And it wasn't because they were three and outing every possession.  

*  On the Bills first possession down 7 - 0 they had a nice drive with Allen taking what the defense gave them.  Then on 3rd & 3 at the Colts 30 Allen looked like he would have easily picked up the first down on a sweep only to see the play whistled dead because Ford jumped the gun. Then on 3rd & 8 we had a holding call that pushed us out of FG range and into a 3rd & 18.  The next play was an INT.  When you have an undisciplined O-line that can't block the short passing game is not the answer.

*  On the Bills 2nd possession they drove for a TD.

*  On the Bills 3rd possession after McKenzie's horrible fumble that gave the Colts a 24 - 7 lead the Bills drove into FG range only to see the long FG hit the goalpost.

*  On the Bills 4th possession at the start of the 3rd quarter two dropped passes forced the Bills into a 3 and out.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Here's the deal about the Bills this season, as far as I am concerned:

1) Either they will get better or they won't.

2) I will either be happy or I will be sad. 

3) Nothing important in my life will change because of what they do or don't do. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Two consecutive penalties taking us out of 3rd and 3 and field goal range, and we might have even turned the ball over then too and our run game was cheeks (granted we didn't do it much).

It did seem like we had pockets some of the time, but our o was horrible today, and all our skill starters were in.  I think a strong oline is a huge confidence boost for a team

• Like (+1) 1

I guess my thought at this moment is despite how much I want to believe this team has “it” they don’t. I think a few times over I’ve kinda lied to myself on some issues because of Josh. But this loss in many respects was far worse then the Jags. At home you let a team you reaally needed to beat to maintain playoff and division positioning, kick the sh*t out of you. This is after a few bad weeks prior which were suppose to be “get right” games. I’ve wanted this team to be the one, but making playoffs seems like the best it’ll get before losing there. The biggest issue to me is they like the hype but can’t prove it when it matters.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Obviously there was still football to be played after we were down 14-0. But I believe the team began coming mentally unglued pretty quickly in this game and their last chance to really get back in it was fumbled away by McKenzie in Q2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

Then the big question - is Josh coachable? If yes, why haven't they been able to get him into a settled mindset, whatever the scoreboard? If no, why the heck have we lumbered ourselves with a Quarterback who goes into panic mode at the first time of trouble?

I believe he is coachable on this, but as successful as Daboll was last year, not sure he’s the guy to do it. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Here's the deal about the Bills this season, as far as I am concerned:

1) Either they will get better or they won't.

2) I will either be happy or I will be sad. 

3) Nothing important in my life will change because of what they do or don't do. 

When did my Mom start posting here?

• Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, IronyAbounds said:

Last year may have instilled an unjustified sense of confidence. Teams may trend in a direction from one year to the next, but last year's success means nothing for this year. Obvious needs in the OL weren't addressed, the changes to the DL were insufficient. The Chiefs are the only team with an above .500 record the Bills have beaten. They are not a playoff caliber team at the moment, and I'm not sure they will make it. They could very easily lose 4 of the next 5 games, and 9-8 won't make the playoffs.

True and that goes for the players, coaches, fans and media. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

There's only so much you can do with the dump offs and the Bills did a lot of that today.  But with a penalty prone O-line that cant pass protect and a non-existent running game it only takes one negative yardage play or a penalty to wreck your check down Charlie offense.

In the first half today the Bills had the ball THREE times. That's right - THREE FREAKING TIMES.  And it wasn't because they were three and outing every possession.  

*  On the Bills first possession down 7 - 0 they had a nice drive with Allen taking what the defense gave them.  Then on 3rd & 3 at the Colts 30 Allen looked like he would have easily picked up the first down on a sweep only to see the play whistled dead because Ford jumped the gun. Then on 3rd & 8 we had a holding call that pushed us out of FG range and into a 3rd & 18.  The next play was an INT.  When you have an undisciplined O-line that can't block the short passing game is not the answer.

*  On the Bills 2nd possession they drove for a TD.

*  On the Bills 3rd possession after McKenzie's horrible fumble that gave the Colts a 24 - 7 lead the Bills drove into FG range only to see the long FG hit the goalpost.

*  On the Bills 4th possession at the start of the 3rd quarter two dropped passes forced the Bills into a 3 and out.

this is a great take, and really hits home how this game on offense really

came down to execution errors. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

Then the big question - is Josh coachable? If yes, why haven't they been able to get him into a settled mindset, whatever the scoreboard? If no, why the heck have we lumbered ourselves with a Quarterback who goes into panic mode at the first time of trouble?

Great post. These are the right questions.

3 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

Obviously there was still football to be played after we were down 14-0. But I believe the team began coming mentally unglued pretty quickly in this game and their last chance to really get back in it was fumbled away by McKenzie in Q2.

Agree.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.