11/21 Colts at Bills, Postgame Postmortem Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

This team needs more:

play action

FB on the field lead blocking with runs to the outside 

2 TE sets

under center

Brieda and Singletary 

moving Diggs around like GB does with Adam, to get catch and runs  in space (especially)off play action 

Allen using his legs

less:

Moss

empty spread shotgun 

throwing every down

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HalftimeAdjustment said:

Obviously there was still football to be played after we were down 14-0. But I believe the team began coming mentally unglued pretty quickly in this game and their last chance to really get back in it was fumbled away by McKenzie in Q2.

Agreed and while the offense struggled it was the defense that pooped the bed today.  The Colts didn't punt until mid-way through the 3rd quarter.  They scored 31 points on their first 5 possessions. 

Given the weather conditions this should have been a 20 - 17 type game.  But for the 2nd time this season when the Bills went up against a physical offense the defense was completely blown out.  The defenses play today would be like if the offense went three & out their first 5 drives and turned the ball over twice while doing so.  In fact the offense did move the ball within limits. Sorry but IMO this one was on the D just like the TN loss was.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Agreed and while the offense struggled it was the defense that pooped the bed today.  The Colts didn't punt until mid-way through the 3rd quarter.  They scored 31 points on their first 5 possessions. 

Given the weather conditions this should have been a 20 - 17 type game.  But for the 2nd time this season when the Bills went up against a physical offense the defense was completely blown out.  The defenses play today would be like if the offense went three & out their first 5 drives and turned the ball over twice while doing so.  In fact the offense did move the ball within limits. Sorry but IMO this one was on the D just like the TN loss was.

This game was absolutely on the defense (and the absurd McKenzie fumble just put the dagger in).  

It’s even more so on the defense because it was invested in to carry the team in tough games, not be a ***** albatross. 

Epenesa. Rousseau and Basham all could’ve been OL picks, but we used premium picks on pass rushers.  

Addison and Hughes both could’ve been moved off of, but we invested cap space in both.  

Paid Milano.  Paid White.  High picks in Edmunds and Oliver.  

Yet they have been absolutely manhandled by the only two teams we’ve played that have a physical run game and competent QB play.  

Meanwhile we need Allen to operate with no IOL and no running game.   Any of the above resources could have been allocated here. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Crazy thought…obviously this was a total waste of a pick. Why not try Cody Ford at DT and see if he can be of use to us on the Dline. He has good size and athleticism. He’s not going to make it as an Olineman. Might as well try to get some use out of him.

Crack is whack

• Haha (+1) 1

Today's game actually was pretty much what I expect from our defense without Star and Edmunds. I suspect we would have seen a bunch 4-3 defensive fronts and fought differently if they were available. The offense certainly needs to execute but the only part that scares me is Josh seems to have major issues in weather and our team is in Buffalo.

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

Then the big question - is Josh coachable? If yes, why haven't they been able to get him into a settled mindset, whatever the scoreboard? If no, why the heck have we lumbered ourselves with a Quarterback who goes into panic mode at the first time of trouble?

I completely disagree with this.  After falling behind 14 - 0 Allen led the Bills on a TD drive to cut the lead to 14 - 7.  The Bills didn't see the Ball again until the two minute warning and were down 24 - 7.  At that point Allen drove the Bills into long FG range. I saw no evidence of "panic" by Allen in the first half. 

In the 3rd quarter on the Bills first possession Allen had a pass blocked at the LOS and then threw two nice balls with the first being dropped and the 2nd Davis slipped and instead of catching a ball in stride for a huge gain had it fly off his finger tips. After the Bills finally forced an INDY punt the next series Allen drove the Bills into FG range and then they missed the 46 yarder. I saw no evidence of Allen panicking in the Bills first two possessions of the 3rd quarter.

Now Allen and the rest of the team did panic when the Colts went up 31 - 7.  But the idea that Allen went into "panic mode"at the first bit of trouble is not what I saw today.

What I saw today was a defense that could not stop the Colts running game.  I also saw a defense that couldn't force a Colts punt until midway through the 3rd quarter.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Defense mentally checkout out at some point during the second quarter. A physical team like Indy makes you earn it and they weren’t interested in that.

Obviously I'm not on their sideline but the body language and lack of execution from that point on said it all to me. Down 24-7 at the half after being repeatedly punched in the face for the first 30 minutes, they knew what was coming. You liked Taylor trampling you in the first half? Here's a second and third helping! Colts were extra generous today.

I'll give our side a pass for the Titans, but is this the third "wake-up call"? Second time (at least) this season where they played like feces, collectively. Allen wasn't good outside of some throws, and his receivers piled on by failing to make catches they could have/should have. Turnovers lead to a blowout but I'll speculate that Taylor still mauls us, regardless. Our coaches joined in on the fun with another headshaking performance.

I'm obviously a fan of the team and regime but McDermott's expression through the game spoke volumes. Thought bubble: "It's unravelling"

Get rid of the turnovers and the penalties and there's no reason this game isn't 14 to 10 or even 14 to 13 at the half.  There were make-able plays that just weren't made.  Not scheme related or out of a players ability.  Just stop turning the ball over or stop getting penalties or tackle the QB before he runs for 30 yards.  We weren't stopping Taylor today but we didn't have to stop ourselves.  Still could have been in this game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This game was absolutely on the defense (and the absurd McKenzie fumble just put the dagger in).  

It’s even more so on the defense because it was invested in to carry the team in tough games, not be a ***** albatross. 

Epenesa. Rousseau and Basham all could’ve been OL picks, but we used premium picks on pass rushers.  

Addison and Hughes both could’ve been moved off of, but we invested cap space in both.  

Paid Milano.  Paid White.  High picks in Edmunds and Oliver.  

Yet they have been absolutely manhandled by the only two teams we’ve played that have a physical run game and competent QB play.  

Meanwhile we need Allen to operate with no IOL and no running game.   Any of the above resources could have been allocated here. 

I agree. 

I do think that signing Milano & White and drafting Edmunds and Oliver have paid off.  But drafting D linemen for our last two 2nd round and last first round picks will be a disaster if they don't pan out. And while folks can say "but we spent last years first on Diggs" yea and that has worked out magnificently.  Can you imagine this offense with a stud guard and very good RB?

Things can change fast in the NFL - check out NE & KC - and I hope in a few weeks I'm eating my words here.  But it does look like McBean messed up by prioritizing the D over the O. The result may be that instead of an elite offense and average defense we now have two slightly above average Offense & Defenses.

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I completely disagree with this.  After falling behind 14 - 0 Allen led the Bills on a TD drive to cut the lead to 14 - 7.  The Bills didn't see the Ball again until the two minute warning and were down 24 - 7.  At that point Allen drove the Bills into long FG range. I saw no evidence of "panic" by Allen in the first half. 

In the 3rd quarter on the Bills first possession Allen had a pass blocked at the LOS and then threw two nice balls with the first being dropped and the 2nd Davis slipped and instead of catching a ball in stride for a huge gain had it fly off his finger tips. After the Bills finally forced an INDY punt the next series Allen drove the Bills into FG range and then they missed the 46 yarder. I saw no evidence of Allen panicking in the Bills first two possessions of the 3rd quarter.

Now Allen and the rest of the team did panic when the Colts went up 31 - 7.  But the idea that Allen went into "panic mode"at the first bit of trouble is not what I saw today.

What I saw today was a defense that could not stop the Colts running game.  I also saw a defense that couldn't force a Colts punt until midway through the 3rd quarter.

Great post and analysis

25 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

I believe he is coachable on this, but as successful as Daboll was last year, not sure he’s the guy to do it. 

I agree with you.  Daboll schemes against the supposed weaknesses of the opposing defense without taking into consideration the weaknesses and short comings of his own offense.  If an opposing defense knows what's coming, good coaches will adjust their scheme to throw the opposition off balance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Anyone here listen to Sean’s postgame presser?  The guy is just parroting the same talking points again and again.  We need to clean up this, this and this.  “We can’t allow 286 yards on the ground.”  Really Sean??  When pressed about what he will actually do to get things back on track he said that “it is simply a mentality.”

Well there you have it folks.

2 hours ago, finn said:

I think this is right, except I still think Allen is special. The Bills are certainly not a dominant team, so let's walk that back. On the other hand, they have most of the pieces in place: QB, WR, and, today notwithstanding, defense. They're still better than most teams  (so above average, not average) and they can probably beat anyone. On the other hand, pretty much any team can beat them, not a feature of great teams. What does this add up to? They will probably make the playoffs, where they're probably equally likely to lose the first game as they are to win at all. Look around the league: every team is flawed, including the ones at the top. Really, it will come down to matchups, weather, COVID, and luck. 

Solid post. Agree with everything except "they are likely to lose the first game as they are to win it all." I really can't see the Bilis hoisting the Lombardi trophy. 

3 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

Anyone here listen to Sean’s postgame presser?  The guy is just parroting the same talking points again and again.  We need to clean up this, this and this.  “We can’t allow 286 yards on the ground.”  Really Sean??  When pressed about what he will actually do to get things back on track he said that “it is simply a mentality.”

That must have been the first presser of his you have seen.  Let me explain...they are all like that.  Have a good night

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

This team needs more:

play action

FB on the field lead blocking with runs to the outside 

2 TE sets

under center

Brieda and Singletary 

moving Diggs around like GB does with Adam, to get catch and runs  in space (especially)off play action 

Allen using his legs

less:

Moss

empty spread shotgun 

throwing every down

I don't know why I expected we'd see that this week after playing that way last week and winning big.  It didn't matter that it was against the Jets.  That kind of offense keeps opposing defenses from setling in.

14 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

Is there anything he could've said that would make you feel better about the loss?

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

That must have been the first presser of his you have seen.  Let me explain...they are all like that.  Have a good night

I watch his postgame pressers periodically but the act is really wearing thin at this point.  The guy comes off like he has no answers.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  Let’s give Trubisky the INT at the end, didn’t matter.

But the two Allen INTs and the McKenzie fumble led directly to points for the Colts and took away possible points for us.  

That’s potentially 21 points less for them and more points for us right there.  Even if we get no points on those drives, it’s putting it down to 20-15 which is down in the range where a couple missed FG or just one more TD make a difference

I just thought both FG calls were bad with how awful the weather was. Seemed like they were playing for a FG instead of TD before halftime and 49 yards in the rain is tough too. Just awful all around.

• Agree 1

Just now, Mopreme said:

Buffalo media needs to start calling him out. 

It was really hard hearing the questions, but from what I did hear it didn't sound like they were lobbing softballs.  I get the impression McD was really po'd...not just because of how poorly they played but also about the circumstances that led up to who was available to play.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

I watch his postgame pressers periodically but the act is really wearing thin at this point.  The guy comes off like he has no answers.

Maybe, but this isn’t uncommon from head coaches. Look at Belichick. Hes never answered a question in 22 years of pressers. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Is there anything he could've said that would make you feel better about the loss?

Yes.  How about something like.  

“Right now it’s gut check time.  Everyone needs to re-evaluate what they have been doing for the benefit of the TEAM!  The focus isn’t there, the effort at times is NOT there either and that starts with ME!  We played like we missed a month of practice today and I guarantee that this will not happen again!  I apologize to our fans who paid money to see us today.  Now I need to go back to work and get this team ready for the Saints.  I will not allow losses like this one to define the 2021 Buffalo Bills!”

How about something like that?!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have season tickets with my Sicilian mother (who taught me how to care too much about football), and therefore spend every home game at the stadium trying in vain to use humor and perspective to disrupt her old world fatalistic frustrations. In truth, it's exhausting.

Then I come here and see the same s#!t: people falling over themselves to be more right about how bad the team truly is and how lost the season is.

Is there some prize I'm unaware of for predicting their demise? I don't disagree that right now the Bills are playing bad football. But there are 7 games left and the Bills still control their destiny. What's fun about whining and declaring the end is near?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I have season tickets with my Sicilian mother (who taught me how to care too much about football), and therefore spend every home game at the stadium trying in vain to use humor and perspective to disrupt her old world fatalistic frustrations. In truth, it's exhausting.

Then I come here and see the same s#!t: people falling over themselves to be more right about how bad the team truly is and how lost the season is.

Is there some prize I'm unaware of for predicting their demise? I don't disagree that right now the Bills are playing bad football. But there are 7 games left and the Bills still control their destiny. What's fun about whining and declaring the end is near?  

There is a prize but had to sign up back in the 1960s as I did. 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

I don’t think that most of us are necessarily predicting their demise.  We just want this team to get back on track.  Today’s performance was just unacceptable all the way around.  I don’t think any Bills fan would disagree.  The penalties time and time again are on the coaching staff. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, KeLLy1278 said:

I don’t think that most of us are necessarily predicting their demise.  We just want this team to get back on track.  Today’s performance was just unacceptable all the way around.  I don’t think any Bills fan would disagree.  The penalties time and time again are on the coaching staff. 

The tone of your post, unfortunately, is NOT the norm. I 100% agree that the team is NOT playing well, and that I don't see easy answers moving forward. I booed the hell out of McDermott's decision to kick that FG today, and I'm definitely pissed at how soft the team looks.

People can post anything they want, of course. No one gets to tell you how to be a fan. But so many indulge hyperbolic negativity and fatalism, and do so repeatedly, and for what? It's kind of lame. 

11 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

Yes.  How about something like.  

“Right now it’s gut check time.  Everyone needs to re-evaluate what they have been doing for the benefit of the TEAM!  The focus isn’t there, the effort at times is NOT there either and that starts with ME!  We played like we missed a month of practice today and I guarantee that this will not happen again!  I apologize to our fans who paid money to see us today.  Now I need to go back to work and get this team ready for the Saints.  I will not allow losses like this one to define the 2021 Buffalo Bills!”

How about something like that?!

Actually McD admitted they were not focused and mentally in the game.  He also said it started with him.  

8 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

But the stadium needs to be full for every home game right?  How would you feel if you PAID to see that??

I paid to see that and sit in freezing rain while coach ignores Josh's vigorous pleas to go for it on 4th down and instead sends out the FG unit for an ill-fated and ill-conceived attempt. Yeah, the org did not reward its fans today. I booed McDermott hard for the first time. 

(Brought back terrible memories of booing Marrone for punting in a similar situation years back...just gutless and uninspired.)

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.