11/21 Colts at Bills, Postgame Postmortem Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

This is the last time I will mention it.

Until you can run the ball when you need to you cannot win consistently.

You need to run to regain control of a game you are struggling with. You cannot gain control of a tough team by dink and dunk. This is a physical game.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

This is the last time I will mention it.

Until you can run the ball when you need to you cannot win consistently.

You need to run to regain control of a game you are struggling with. You cannot gain control of a tough team by dink and dunk. This is a physical game.

Running the ball didn't hurt us Sunday, it was lack of stopping the run and only three drives in the first half

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

On what basis?

Go read the nice synopsis of Allen earlier in the thread. First series he was running for a first on 3rd and 3 when Ford false started. Then O-line holds and it’s 3rd and 18 outside of FG range. Then the pick which he shouldn’t have thrown but Davis was clearly interfered with. Next time he gets the ball we are down 14-0 and he leads a TD drive. Next time we get the ball was after the McKenzie fumble and he drives into FG range and McD looses his balls and tries a long FG in the wind and rain. 3rd quarter opener had 1 tipped pass, 2 drops (Davis slip). Josh could have played better but he’s #6 or 7 on the list of problems with this game.

As for the team, the only positive is we have 7 games to play and control our destiny. That’s all you can ask. We have time to turn it around but it starts Thursday. Idk if they can do it, the deficiencies on the lines are not an easy problem to correct. McD needs these guys to each look inside individually and start playing with an edge. They should be embarrassed at their play. KC turned it around, no reason we can’t with the talent on the team. Again, I’m not saying I expect it to happen, just that the opportunity is there. We are going to see how good of a coach McD really is over the next few weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

What's fun about whining and declaring the end is near?  

Well, the doom talk isn't willful, right? It comes from identifying with the team too much, so when they win we feel like winners; when the lose, we're losers. So the despair-talk, edged with anger and frustration, is all about our fear that we're losers, that we suck and always will suck. I wonder if the players know that the fan's applause and boos are not all about them. I mean, even at the peewee level parents aren't really reacting to and for their kids most of the time. It's still about them. The cool thing about being a fan of a national team is that you go through all these emotions with millions of people. Today we all suck. 

• Like (+1) 1

A serviceable run game is important and necessary to winning. Without it, defenses just load up on pressuring the QB. QBs will be  under constant siege and duress. That's not a winning formula. 

Is the Bills run game effective enough to keep defenses honest? Can they keep defenses honest?

34 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Go read the nice synopsis of Allen earlier in the thread. First series he was running for a first on 3rd and 3 when Ford false started. Then O-line holds and it’s 3rd and 18 outside of FG range. Then the pick which he shouldn’t have thrown but Davis was clearly interfered with. Next time he gets the ball we are down 14-0 and he leads a TD drive. Next time we get the ball was after the McKenzie fumble and he drives into FG range and McD looses his balls and tries a long FG in the wind and rain. 3rd quarter opener had 1 tipped pass, 2 drops (Davis slip). Josh could have played better but he’s #6 or 7 on the list of problems with this game.

As for the team, the only positive is we have 7 games to play and control our destiny. That’s all you can ask. We have time to turn it around but it starts Thursday. Idk if they can do it, the deficiencies on the lines are not an easy problem to correct. McD needs these guys to each look inside individually and start playing with an edge. They should be embarrassed at their play. KC turned it around, no reason we can’t with the talent on the team. Again, I’m not saying I expect it to happen, just that the opportunity is there. We are going to see how good of a coach McD really is over the next few weeks.

Very nice insight. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, KeLLy1278 said:

Nailed it!  People have the nerve to compare this team to a team that had Jim Kelly, Andre Reed, Don Beebe, James Lofton, Thurman Thomas, Darryl Talley, Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett, Steve Tasker & Marv Levy.

It’s hard not to laugh.  

Did you follow Kelly's Bills? There was just as much doom talk then after inexplicable losses. And there were just as many holes in those rosters as the current team has, especially the secondary. Of the players you list, I would take only Thurman, Bruce and Tasker (over Singletary, Hughes and Jones). Obviously, the Kelly Bills did more, but give the current team a chance. I have a lot of hope for them. I'm concerned mostly for the resiliency factor. That, more than superior talent, is what defined the SB Bills. Not sure if Allen's Bills have that quality yet. You get hit in the face. How do you respond? 

9 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Because it hit the ground it’s kind of a rule 😜

Well, I thought he clearly had it without losing control (Bert Emmanuel rule). Look, I ‘m happy it wasn’t a pick, but it was a flat out terrible throw and decision—he was forcing it. He has to play better, and asap. 5 picks in the last three games and he could have had 8 (CJ Moseley let a pick go right through his hands last week, and there was another drop by a Colts DB in the third quarter). Not recognizing that problem is the equivalent of whistling past the graveyard.

11 hours ago, vincec said:

Interestingly, at Fraziers PC, he was asked about making adjustments during games and he said that they try not to make major changes during games because it creates doubt in the players minds about the game plan.

Perhaps giving up 286 yards and four touchdowns on the ground is really what creates doubt in the players' minds about the game plan.

I have never heard a sorrier excuse for refusing/failing to make adjustments.  And you can qualify that by saying "adjustments and major changes are not the same thing," but that's splitting hairs.  Doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

I would have had more respect for Frazier if he had just admitted his game plan sucked.

Edited by BRH

15 minutes ago, BRH said:

Perhaps giving up 286 yards and four touchdowns on the ground is really what creates doubt in the players' minds about the game plan.

I have never heard a sorrier excuse for refusing/failing to make adjustments.  And you can qualify that by saying "adjustments and major changes are not the same thing," but that's splitting hairs.  Doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

I would have had more respect for Frazier if he had just admitted his game plan sucked.

We seemed to get really gashed by the run once or twice a year since McD was hired. They are all against teams we know are gonna pound the rock. This isnNt a game time adjustment it something it’s poor game planning

We are witnessing a full organizational failure this season from ownership on down.  The entire organization seems to be on cruise control, happy to “run it back” from last year and stupidly thinking they could show up and just dominate a softer schedule instead of actually addressing the weaknesses that were exposed last year.  The coaches are not doing what is needed to get the players focused in what has become a 17-game slog through the bizarre COVID era.  The weekly game plans do not reflect much respect for their opponents and they seem to just expect their talent and Josh’s arm to bail them out every week.  Ownership clearly has not taken strong steps to raise expectations - McBeane got their raises over the last year and this entire franchise seems content to sell hope and merchandise without too much pounding the table for a Lombardi.  

Yesterday’s game looked like the Rex-era Bills, they were on autopilot, but instead of a sideline full of overpaid coaches you’ve got a sideline full of overpaid veteran “leaders” like Addison and Hughes who have done absolutely nothing to help the team win games on or off the field this season.

They have squandered a golden opportunity.

2 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Running the ball didn't hurt us Sunday, it was lack of stopping the run and only three drives in the first half

But when you lose control it helps to be able to take the ball back, keep it for a while until you fiqure it out. You need to be able to physically punch back. Controlling the ball for a 7 or 8 minute drive and being tough can change a game. 

Unfortunately, we can neither run the ball or pass block lately.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

We are witnessing a full organizational failure this season from ownership on down.  The entire organization seems to be on cruise control, happy to “run it back” from last year and stupidly thinking they could show up and just dominate a softer schedule instead of actually addressing the weaknesses that were exposed last year.  The coaches are not doing what is needed to get the players focused in what has become a 17-game slog through the bizarre COVID era.  The weekly game plans do not reflect much respect for their opponents and they seem to just expect their talent and Josh’s arm to bail them out every week.  Ownership clearly has not taken strong steps to raise expectations - McBeane got their raises over the last year and this entire franchise seems content to sell hope and merchandise without too much pounding the table for a Lombardi.  

Yesterday’s game looked like the Rex-era Bills, they were on autopilot, but instead of a sideline full of overpaid coaches you’ve got a sideline full of overpaid veteran “leaders” like Addison and Hughes who have done absolutely nothing to help the team win games on or off the field this season.

I couldn't agree more. Very well said. Almost wants to " make me shout" in a bad way.  

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I completely agree with this, but the catch is that there's no excitement anymore to be better. It's as if we could just walk back into the AFCCG and when it hasn't been easy there's been a leadership void to fire up the rest of the team, both on the coaching side and the players' side. 

There is still time to right the ship and get back to their winning ways.

I remain cautiously optimistic.      Get your team healthy again.   Beat the Patriots twice.    

Play your best football in the Playoffs.     This Bills team still has the weapons and capability to outscore any other team in the NFL when its first stringers are all healthy and playing well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BRH said:

To be fair, this was said at last weeks press conference. I doubt he will say that at today's. But it was definitely on my mind watching the game. I know you can't appear to panic when things are going wrong but a plan B and plan C should really be part of the game plan. You should have a plan practiced and ready for all contingencies; for when things are going well and for "when you're down at halftime, with your starting QB injured, and it's raining cats and dogs and the equipment man forgot the rain gear" (to paraphrase Bear Bryant).

18 hours ago, Herc11 said:

We really need to adjust the defense out of these nickel formations when we play these run heavy teams. They run it down our throat and we continue to leave Johnson out there.

I think that the coaches don't like the options at LB, especially with Edmonds out, and they think playing 5 DBs is "putting their best 11 out there".

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think that the coaches don't like the options at LB, especially with Edmonds out, and they think playing 5 DBs is "putting their best 11 out there".

they're not wrong. Who would have been the 3rd LB yesterday with Edmunds out?

20 hours ago, jkeerie said:

The one thing I hate about the Bills losing, is it brings out all the termites with their negative takes that otherswise remain hidden in the woodwork when the Bills play well.  Okay...the Bills suck today.  They're playing a more desparate team with the best back in the league and without key players.  Okay.  That does not negate what this team has accomplished since Beane and McD have arrived.   Believe me, this beat down is hurting them worse than it hurts us.   Are they overrated?  Perhaps.  Today, it certainly looks so.  We're not the best team in the AFC and we aren't the worst.  We no longer lead the division and the hated Patriots do.  There's more football to be played.  There are no runaway teams this year in either conference.   I'm going to enjoy the sport.  Hope the Bills get healthy and gather themselves for the rest of the season and let the chips fall where they may.  At this juncture, my real reason for pulling for the Bills to win, is to weed out all the faux fans who frequent the boards when the Bills play like crap.  

That’s your real reason for pulling for the Bills to win? 

2 hours ago, PolishDave said:

There is still time to right the ship and get back to their winning ways.

I remain cautiously optimistic.      Get your team healthy again.   Beat the Patriots twice.    

Play your best football in the Playoffs.     This Bills team still has the weapons and capability to outscore any other team in the NFL when its first stringers are all healthy and playing well.

Cześć! 🇵🇱 

This team is poorly coached imo.  It is also searching for leadership and I’m not sure if the answer is on the current roster.  I hope it is.

GO BILLS!

Carson Wentz 11-20 and 106 yards, 1 TD pass but he connected when he needed to. Indy had 264 yards rushing and literally controlled the ball for 2/3 of the game. 

This game was a combination of poor play and major mistakes.   

Fumbling a kickoff - Ding 7 pts

Josh throwing an int - Ding 3 pts lost likely

Josh fumble/sack and losing yards - Ding 3 pts lost at least

Missing 2 field goals - Ding 6 pts lost (although the one shouldn't have been attempted in that weather)

Receivers several dropped passes

Poor offensive line play

Defense making critical penalties on 3rd downs

Defense giving up huge run plays

Certainly enough blame to go around in this game. Every player on the Bills played poorly it seemed. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.