Are we going to be like the obnoxious and unbearable Patriot fans?

Leonitas

On 9/11/2021 at 2:45 PM, SF Bills Fan said:

I was actually rooting for the Pats first go at it. I had no idea what was ahead. I think the Bills and Bills Mafia are still a feel good story for now, but I think we'd move to hated territory if we keep winning. 

I think it really depends on how they conduct themselves once they keep on winning.   

No one likes smug attitudes of superiority even if its irrefutable -  like the recent KC - Buffalo game.  Everyone knows Bills have never beat Mahomes and they can't handle the crowd noise in Arrowhead.   Mahomehs in press conference stated at one point  We know we have what it takes to be great. Just comes across as he believes all the hype how he's already heading to the HoF.  So far he's managed to break some NFL records has some jewelry some awards.  But no way to know how his full career plays out. 

In many ways, imho, I think he's actually behind Josh Allen.  I don't think Pat reads defenses as well as Josh.  He certainly didn't need to as he was wowing the league with unconventional play.  Now he has to read and then beat coverage with even just steady regular qb plays he isn't getting it done.  He has to figure it out.  He's been figured out.

Josh took 3 years to get to this point where he has multiple ways to beat whatever coverage they throw at him.  He doesn't get rattled or bored grinding it out thats how he learned the past 3 years to where he's now figured it out.  And now all the other 31 teams have to try and figure him and the team behind him out.  

I think however long it takes it still will be fun to watch for any NFL fans.

Edited by AuntieEm

41 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

It's like the nature vs nurture debate. 

Are Patriots fans naturally bad fans or did they become that way through 20 years of spoiling?

Will we become bad fans if our team becomes a dynasty or are we genetically superior?

Before their dynasty I don't think they really cared for the Pats. Boston has always been a Sox town and even the B's and Celtics were ahead of the Pats in those days. Now they are like entitled D-bags who think the Pats are the greatest thing on earth. Now that dynasty is over I wonder how ticket sales will go for them now that the winning has stopped.

On 9/11/2021 at 2:48 PM, Success said:

I suppose it's inevitable.

The Patriot fanbase is basically the same one who looked at Yankees fans for decades and criticized them for being "arrogant" and entitled. Then they BECAME Yankees fans.  Worse, actually.

I don't think we'd be as bad, though. Western NY in general is just a more grounded region. I think we'll have much more gratitude than arrogance.

We'll be our usual obnoxious selves,  the fans that rub it in that Lamarr got concussion by donating to his charity and obnoxiously raising over 1 mil for oshei in honor of Patricia Allen.  

Josh is known as somewhat of a trash talker on the field.  Doesnt seem he has many enemies in the after game handshakes seems he's very well liked. 

Mafia might talk a little trash now then but overwhelmingly in a good natured way  so I think we retain our basic personality.

pats fans were def terrible,  alot still are.   chiefs fans,  at least their message board posters,   are the friggen the worst.   ive read posts about wishing injuries on other teams players,   personal attacks,  the list goes on.  i hope beyond hope that Bills fans keep it classy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

pats fans were def terrible,  alot still are.   chiefs fans,  at least their message board posters,   are the friggen the worst.   ive read posts about wishing injuries on other teams players,   personal attacks,  the list goes on.  i hope beyond hope that Bills fans keep it classy.

Chiefs > Pats

I agree, never visited a Pats forum. Chiefs Planet sucks.

The Pats poster that frequents TBD allot is a good poster...

I'm sure that there will be obnoxious Bills fans, if this were ever to happen.

That being said, we will be nothing like the Patriots* fans. The reason why? The vast majority of these "fans" are all a bunch of phonies.

They are not fans of the team, they're Tom Brady fans. The fakest fanbase around.

Believe me, I've met them. They have no clue about any of their history. They don't know who Stanley Morgan, John Hannah, Irving Fryar, Steve Grogan, Andre Tippett & Fred Marion are. Trust me, they are old enough to know who those players are.

Hell, they probably don't know who Ben Coates is and that Pete Carroll was once their head coach. Nor that for the longest time the Patriots home jersey was red.

Bills fans will probably be obnoxious after winning a championship, but at least they will know all there is to know about the team(s) they cheer for.

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Like (+1) 1

Not possible. Many, if not most Massholes are not actually fans, they derive some sort of personal bravado for following winning teams. When those teams are no longer winning, they jump ship. There are more than a few newly minted Bucs fans in the NE region. Bills fans have been selling out their stadium through decades of miserable football, not bandwagoners. I don't care about bragging, I just hate fairweather fans, so no I don't think we will be anything like them if we find prolonged success because we're not like them to begin with. 

I feel like this is a layered question.

I feel like sustained success brings with it an assumption of insufferable-ness of the team's fans to those fanbases not enjoying similar success, regardless of the fan behavior. In that regard I hope we are similar.

With respect to the specific comparison to Patriots fans, I certainly hope sustained Bills' success doesn't result in plummeting football IQs, developing a "nails on a chalkboard" dialect, and acquiring personality traits that are nearly as grating as the speech impediment, if not moreso.

2 hours ago, Billyboy said:

When and "IF" they win multiple super bowls come back and let us know. As of now they haven't even won a free Whopper at Burger King. 

Well when I do win one I expect you to serve it to me like a true fast food professional. No spitting in it, putting your junk on it, dropping it on the floor or any other disgusting manner of disrespect you miserable little troll.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

obnoxious and unbearable? Some here already are -regardless of W/L.

This goes with the territory, I guess, but they have NO idea who they are!

I say we raise a have dozen trophies, then take stock. I can live with that. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bigduke6 said:

The Chiefs forum is almost inexplicable to me.   It is the definition of toxic.

You can't judge a fanbase just by what's on the internet, but that board is so far removed from every other fan board I have visited. The Pats boards are nothing like that. It's the most negative board I've been to, going even beyond sports.

Edited by Success
  • Agree 1

I'm not going to go around and pretend I hand scouted Josh Allen and convinced Bills Leadership to draft him simply because I happened to be born next to Buffalo, New York. 

Arrogant media and other teams fans (Chiefs, Patriots) act like they were in Draft room, or they convinced Free Agents to sign. 

So long way of saying, no. I'm not going to become an obnoxious fan that thinks he's better than other fans.  

16 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

No, Bills fans strike me as far less entitled and insufferable as Boston fans. I'd settle for one, but they whine like school girls if they don't win every year.

No you’re right Boston fans are far worse. Locally here in Buffalo though there are some Bills fans getting more and more mouthy. 

Well, I'll say this: I was born and raised in Rochester, NY, but have lived in Los Angeles for 30 years. My mom still lives in the house I was born in, so I get back there a couple times a year, but mostly I'm pretty isolated from my "tribe," as it were. Well, there is a local Bills bar in Santa Monica, called Busby's, which is taken over by WNY transplants every Sunday during football season. It's a bit of a drive for me, and always crowded on a football Sunday, but every year I go to two, or three games there. It's difficult, and complicated to describe the experience, but there is something utterly grounding about spending a game Sunday with this crowd. People from Western NY are just different from folks from So Cal, and I'm one of them. Not better, or worse. Just different. 

• Like (+1) 1

It might be inevitable.  I see a lot of similarities in the Bills and Pats that could bring this to fruition. Namely, they both sucked for a long time. 

In the 80’s/90’s the Pats and the Bucs were so bad. I mean, they were the butt of the NFL for a long time, as were we through the 2000’s. That’s a lot of pent up frustration from being on the back end of all the jokes and now, memes that go around. And besides, there’s the whole Super Bowl losses thing. 

When our time comes, there will always be that group that wants to take out their angst against others and they will be a small subset but also the most vocal, loudest ones in the room giving decent Bills fans a bad name. 

Me, I can die happy with just one. More would be great, but let’s start with just one. 

I’d rather not rate which team as there is good and bad in any group, but as the LA guy stated, there is something special about Bills fans.  We are the definition of loyal true blue.

When I see a guy in the gym here in Tampa with a Bills shirt on, I’ll typically come up and say hi.  I assume there is some connection to Buffalo, so I just name the street I grew up on (South Park Ave.) and immediately there is a connection and we start talking about our team.

lol my reaction to this thread is gigglesnort I WISH I'll be around to experience it. IMO the  bills mafia fanbase will continue to be altruistic and True... the losers beneath us opinions are of no consequence to WE winners TCK

lmao

its begun oh nooooooo....Sarcasm*

I’ve already apologized in advance to my college buddies on a group text chat we have for how insufferable I will become if the current trajectory continues. They’re all Giants, Cowboys, Steelers fans, etc. They’re all actually really supportive and hope the Bills finally push through this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/15/2021 at 6:04 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I'm not going to go around and pretend I hand scouted Josh Allen and convinced Bills Leadership to draft him simply because I happened to be born next to Buffalo, New York. 

Arrogant media and other teams fans (Chiefs, Patriots) act like they were in Draft room, or they convinced Free Agents to sign. 

So long way of saying, no. I'm not going to become an obnoxious fan that thinks he's better than other fans.  

Reminds me of a Patriots fan that explained to me a while back that Boston simply had a winning culture. That the people of Boston were the real reason the Patriots, the Bruins, and Red Sox were successful. These professional mercenaries born and raised just about anywhere but Boston thrived and fed off a city of winners in all walks of life. 

Yikes man

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.