I bet Diggs will ask for a new contract

DCofNC

He clearly out played his deal this year, I bet he threatens a hold out if he doesn’t get paid to match production. All this FA talk and we are about to enter the situation with 50-60M a year in the QB and 1 WR, lots of people are going to be gone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1

I’ve been saying it all season and honestly, he should. It’s the nfl and you need to take advantage of any leverage you have. The Bills gave up a 1st round to get him, say a qb who never completed 60% of his passes on any level become a MVP candidate, and set receiving records.  He has the Bills by the balls if he wants it. And if blows out his knee next year and his production dips, the Bills would use that leverage too. The nfl is a cold business. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’ve been saying it all season and honestly, he should. It’s the nfl and you need to take advantage of any leverage you have. The Bills gave up a 1st round to get him, say a qb who never completed 60% of his passes on any level become a MVP candidate, and set receiving records.  He has the Bills by the balls if he wants it. And if blows out his knee next year and his production dips, the Bills would use that leverage too. The nfl is a cold business. 

You could also state that “QB” provided Diggs his best season as a pro and one of the best ever as a WR!!!  But, you could never bring yourself to add that as a caveat!

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

He clearly out played his deal this year, I bet he threatens a hold out if he doesn’t get paid to match production. All this FA talk and we are about to enter the situation with 50-60M a year in the QB and 1 WR, lots of people are going to be gone.

I bet if he threatens a hold out Beane says "hold out then", because a GM can't effectively manage cap and build a roster if players who are under contract for 3 more years all demand a new contract with more money after they have a good year.

Beane's pattern seems to be to renegotiate and extend contracts when guys have about a year left (see Poyer, Dawkins, White)

Diggs will have to make up his mind is he all about winning and being a great teammate or all about trying to wring out the biggest payday as fast as he can.  He won't be putting up all-pro numbers if the QB who's throwing to him is sitting on his ass or getting the ***** beaten out of him behind a crap OL, or if there isn't at least one other legit threat on the field with him.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

You’re a Dolphins fan who cares what you think 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

he’s already on a $72 million dollar deal. Bills restructured his contract to pay him more this year. I’m not sure he’s holding out for a few more mil. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

When he was traded to Buffalo, Diggs renegotiated his contract and the Bills added $11M in guarantees to his 2021 salary.

People seem to forget that his contract was tweaked to give him more guaranteed money and lower the hit in case the salary cap dropped due to Covid. Beane and Diggs agent were upfront, transparent, and negotiated for this already. Diggs won’t hold out this year, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 2022 extension. Beane communicates with these guys and their agents.... folks have to get used to that after far too many years of Brandon and other inept execs commanding Overdorf. 

Edited by Buffalo Junction
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

When he was traded to Buffalo, Diggs renegotiated his contract and the Bills added $11M in guarantees to his 2021 salary.

I remembered they did a tweak. 
I can’t expect he’ll make some big deal out of this. He seems very happy here 

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I bet if he threatens a hold out Beane says "hold out then", because a GM can't effectively manage cap and build a roster if players who are under contract for 3 more years all demand a new contract with more money after they have a good year.

Beane's pattern seems to be to renegotiate and extend contracts when guys have about a year left (see Poyer, Dawkins, White)

Diggs will have to make up his mind is he all about winning and being a great teammate or all about trying to wring out the biggest payday as fast as he can.  He won't be putting up all-pro numbers if the QB who's throwing to him is sitting on his ass or getting the ***** beaten out of him behind a crap OL, or if there isn't at least one other legit threat on the field with him.

My gut tells me the guy who stood on the field crying while talking to his QB and then was on the field watching the other team celebrate and didn't leave until his HC came out to console him and bring him into the locker is more concerned about being a great teammate and winning, rather than the biggest pay day. 

Instead of realizing that, we have people claiming he was grandstanding and making it about himself...  now on top of that he's going to hold out for a new deal after we already gave him more money up front?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

This is nothing but a thread to inspire fear from a non Bills fan.  Be prepared for many more trying to cry the sky is falling because their team didn’t go to the AFCC game, and they will cite I’ve been a fan since .....

It was already said well he renegotiated last year to make him happy.  What evidence does anyone have he’s so unhappy with his contract.  Wouldn’t you think Beane was smart enough to speak with his agent last year about the plan in how to build a championship team.  He’s not asking for a hometown discount, just be patient and in a  couple of years, they will probably extend again his contract.

I love Diggs just as much as anyone, but the media perception of why he was traded was because he wasn’t worth the trouble anymore.

I doubt him and his agent want to continue his past poor reputation. If he holds out, then he has proven the media and general sports fan true. His value will then go down and then no organization will give him a pay bump. 

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Hopkins has an average annual salary of a little over 27 million a year.  Diggs average is 14.4 million per year.  He's crazy if he doesn't demand a raise.

Listen to the audio after the go ahead TD catch against the Cardinals. Diggs screams out that’s why you pay me. I’m trying to link the clip.

1 hour ago, iccrewman112 said:

Listen to the audio after the go ahead TD catch against the Cardinals. Diggs screams out that’s why you pay me. I’m trying to link the clip.

Then Hopkins basically answered by "this is why they pay me more."  Diggs needs to strike while the iron's hot given his ridiculous production this season and him being so paramount to Josh Allen's success.  I suspect that they'll negotiate something similar to last year to give him another raise.

Edited by Doc Brown

I think Diggs is a competitor and loves it in Buffalo with Allen.  I think him lingering on the field as long as he did is him realizing how much closer he was to a Super Bowl with a better team and QB this year than when he made it in Minnesota.  I think he just wants to win so damn bad... like Allen.

I think you're wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

So everyone is going to glance right over the 50-60M a year for Josh? Look no question Josh deserves a fat extension, but 50-60M a year? After Sunday's loss I needed a good laugh.:lol: Josh will probably get around 35-40M a year, maybe. Troll post or not, the number you gave is some funny ****. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I bet he gets it ... next year.

Or maybe they could go ahead this year and give him some extra guaranteed money in '22 or '23.

'21 is not a good year to be asking the Bills for extra bucks if you care about their competitive ability.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

So everyone is going to glance right over the 50-60M a year for Josh? Look no question Josh deserves a fat extension, but 50-60M a year? After Sunday's loss I needed a good laugh.:lol: Josh will probably get around 35-40M a year, maybe. Troll post or not, the number you gave is some funny ****. 

I think it says 50-60M for qb and wr1 not just for Josh.  

• Like (+1) 1

I made this point in the free agents thread yesterday..... if the Bills go to Diggs asking him to do something with his deal to grant them cap relief (turning salary into bonus) then they better be willing to throw some money in the pot. His current contract pays him the 16th best AAV among WRs and the three remaining years of it pay him like the 20th best AAV. I very much doubt Diggs demands top 5 money, I think he cares about winning and recognises he is well paid even if below his market value. That said the Bills are very likely to be going to him.... and that gives him leverage to ask them to throw some more in the pot. My guess is about an extra $2m AAV so $6m over 3 years which puts him in that top 10 receiver pay range. It also still allows the Bills to lower his cap hit in 2021. 

If the Bills don't go to Stef then I'm not sure he demands a payrise. But they almost certainly WILL go to Stef to try and give themselves cap room in 2021, if, as we all expect, the cap comes down a bit from where it has been. 

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

I bet he gets it ... next year.

Or maybe they could go ahead this year and give him some extra guaranteed money in '22 or '23.

'21 is not a good year to be asking the Bills for extra bucks if you care about their competitive ability.

2021 is not a good year to be asking to increase your cap hit. And that is why the sensible quid pro quo is I'll lower my cap hit to give you more space if you are willing to do something to my contract to recognise the outstanding season I just had - and that fact that I am way better than the 20th best in the league....

If he wants to win then it's the wrong year to do it with the league wide cap situation. If he is focused on what he wants then he will do it anyway. I'd imagine they already talked money in some form or fashion when they traded for him in the first place. Diggs will get his, but I believe it comes in 2022. 

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

2021 is not a good year to be asking to increase your cap hit. And that is why the sensible quid pro quo is I'll lower my cap hit to give you more space if you are willing to do something to my contract to recognise the outstanding season I just had - and that fact that I am way better than the 20th best in the league....

Yeah, I could definitely imagine that.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, I could definitely imagine that.

I think it is almost a lock at this point to be honest. Diggs's is the easiest contract to re-work for space. One of the reasons it was a great trade was because it came with a great contract. 

7 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I would if I were him

7 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

You could also state that “QB” provided Diggs his best season as a pro and one of the best ever as a WR!!!  But, you could never bring yourself to add that as a caveat!

Fun fact.

John Brown had his best season ever in his first year with the Bills with Josh Allen as his QB.

Beasley had his first two years with the Bills  with Josh Allen as his QB.

Diggs had his best year ever with Josh Allen as the QB.

Josh Allen is the common denominator.

3 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Saying Josh will make 35-40 million a year will end up being farther off than 50-60 million a year.

Josh will most likely get a 10 year 500 million deal.

He is 15th in average per year.  Underpaid, yes and I agree something will probably be done.  Add 4 million and he jumps to 6 ahead of Tyreek Hill and Mike Evans.  The Deandre Hopkins deal is ridiculous IMO.  He does not have the leverage of being an impending FA.  Beasley is 31 and John Brown is 26 in average pay so the Bills have a lot of resources at WR.  As a lot of others have said, Brown may be let go or possibly extended to reduce his money in 2021 vs the cap.   This will be an interesting off season for the Bills when it comes to contracts......they are no longer flush with cap space.

14 minutes ago, mattynh said:

He is 15th in average per year.  Underpaid, yes and I agree something will probably be done.  Add 4 million and he jumps to 6 ahead of Tyreek Hill and Mike Evans.  The Deandre Hopkins deal is ridiculous IMO.  He does not have the leverage of being an impending FA.  Beasley is 31 and John Brown is 26 in average pay so the Bills have a lot of resources at WR.  As a lot of others have said, Brown may be let go or possibly extended to reduce his money in 2021 vs the cap.   This will be an interesting off season for the Bills when it comes to contracts......they are no longer flush with cap space.

He is 16th actually. And 20th if you look at the value just of the remaining 3 years. Adding 4 million (this is per year remember so that is $12m in new money) is at the upper end of what I think the Bills would need to do and that makes hard to really bring his cap hit down this year. Much more likely that is is a quid pro quo of giving Diggs new money while giving the Bills 2021 cap relief.