Texans interviewing Bills director of player personnel Malik Boyd for GM

YoloinOhio

With all the potential poaching of our staff and coaches, Beane is gonna have to bring in more equally talented people to keep this operation running smoothly, I for one know he can find that level of people. 

Go Bills!!!

It all starts at the top.   Without McDermott and Beane, we never get Allen or the team we have today.   He’s been aggressive, bold when he removed players that he didn’t believed fit in with the organization at their cost despite a lot of teeth gnashing from some fans.  He’s methodical and has surrounded himself with a lot of talented NFL player personnel people around him, The Bills may have 4-5 GM candidates in the organization.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Not sure why anyone in Buffalo would want to work for the Texans after Gaines’ experience - I get that BOB is gone, but the issues that created BOB still seem well rooted. 

a director of pro player personnel would jump at any GM job without worrying about such things...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I always felt that this was one of Beane's most important and unheralded moves.  Day 1 (or damn close to it) the guy comes in and lines the scouting staff up against the wall.  I think about the performance and track record of some of those prior draft classes and "Yeesh" is all that comes to mind.  Best of luck to Boyd - he's been part of a notably successful effort.

I suspect there will be quite a few new faces at OBD next year. The Bills organization is deep and strong...including the coaching staff. 

On another note, I hate that they’re allowing this while the season is still going on. I understand it but really dislike it. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

Would this be a 3rd round pick for the Bills or Patriots if he’s hired?

I thought it was two 3rd rd picks? I think we need to stock up on more female scouts because you know those will be worth two 2nd rd picks or even a extra pick in the 1st rd if promoted to GM. With the main focus of our success being tied to Beanie, McD and Allen we need to take advantage of as many current and potential loop holes as possible.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Not sure why anyone in Buffalo would want to work for the Texans after Gaines’ experience - I get that BOB is gone, but the issues that created BOB still seem well rooted. 

The issue that created BOB was brain dead Bob McNair and he is gone.  Cal McNair isnt much better but at least he is willing to listen to other people.

1) No state income tax

2) He is from Houston

3) Have solved the number one issue for a new GM, have a top notch QB

4) A lof of players are from Texas/South and would be an weasy sell IF they had a competent GM and HC

37 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The issue that created BOB was brain dead Bob McNair and he is gone.  Cal McNair isnt much better but at least he is willing to listen to other people.

1) No state income tax

2) He is from Houston

3) Have solved the number one issue for a new GM, have a top notch QB

4) A lof of players are from Texas/South and would be an weasy sell IF they had a competent GM and HC

- No draft capital

- Jack Easterby situation

- still the same overall authority structure that made BOB possible.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

- No draft capital

- Jack Easterby situation

- still the same overall authority structure that made BOB possible.

Those are valid points:

limited draft capital is an issue

Easterby is a problem and to his credit, unlike Bob McNair, Cal grew a set and said Easterby wont by GM, Easterby will be gone

Not the same authority structure when the sole owner dies

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I hope Boyd gets the gig!

Beane will keep restocking the pantry will young talented personnel evaluators and developers. 

I think we'd get two 3rd round picks if he did get the job because he's a minority front office person getting a GM job.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So what if we lose 3 to GM jobs does that mean we get 6 3rd round picks?

Only if all three are minorities. 

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Malik Boyd was born and raised in Houston.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

I’d have it in my contract that you can’t fire me for five years if I take that job. It’s gonna take a while to rebuild that thing.  Going to have to get very creative and really good at drafting 

I think you can do it in two years. Next year will be tough without a 1st and a 2nd and with some contracts you are tied to but in 2022 basically they are only tied to Watson they have the whole cap to work with. It might not be the #1 Head Coaching job on the market but I absolutely think it is the #1 GM job. It is like the job Beane inherited here except without 2017 stuck on the front (where he was hired after the personnel season). You can turn over that roster almost totally in 2 years and you don't have to find a Quarterback. That is pretty much a dream scenario for a GM, other than the first two picks this year not being there. 

As for Malik Boyd interviewing there.... good luck to him. Hope he gets the gig. Joe Schoen is the only one of our guys I really, really don't want to lose. Although it might be inevitable. 

I get that the Texans aren't a 100% ideal destination for a few reasons.

On the other hand...

1.) There are only 32 GM jobs available, and if you pass on one when it's offered, there's no telling how long it will be until you get another shot.
2.) The Texans have a franchise QB in place in DeShaun Watson. Already having a high quality QB behind center and, thus, not having to figure that whole thing out, is a huge boon to a first time GM and, one would think, should make the job much more attractive.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I get that the Texans aren't a 100% ideal destination for a few reasons.

On the other hand...

1.) There are only 32 GM jobs available, and if you pass on one when it's offered, there's no telling how long it will be until you get another shot.
2.) The Texans have a franchise QB in place in DeShaun Watson. Already having a high quality QB behind center and, thus, not having to figure that whole thing out, is a huge boon to a first time GM and, one would think, should make the job much more attractive.

And by year 2 you have the whole cap to work with. Plus you have ownership not afraid to spend money. The one thing I'd want is a guarantee I could be involved in the HC decision. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

A 3rd round compensatory pick in each of the next 2 drafts.

The thing I object to about that article (and the data they derived it from) is that they directly compare the number of black PLAYERS to the number of black COACHES and GMs, as if they directly relate.  They are completely different occupations and should only be tracking how many black qualified applicants there are.  How many black people go into athletics isn't necessarily the same as how many black people go into coaching and office/organizational management.

Then again, I'm one of those weirdos who only care about an applicant's ability to get the job done, not about quotas.  Our next coach or GM could be a black trans woman two-souled polyamorous wolfkin in a wheelchair for all I care as long as they produce results.

• Thank you (+1) 2