WR Kenny Stills said to be visiting Buffalo (no confirmation he signed)

Rubes

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

Do we know if brown has COVID?  Might not be just a Beasley thing - could be to protect from Brown being sidelined, too.  

I saw that move as McD taking one from Belichick's book of tricks and stashing Brown to get the roster spot back without having to IR him. But that's a wild guess on my part.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

Do we know if brown has COVID?  Might not be just a Beasley thing - could be to protect from Brown being sidelined, too.  

Don’t think he does but they need depth at the position regardless. Diggs has to have someone to draw coverage. I think they are worried they could be without bease and smoke at the same time out of precaution, not prediction. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Don’t think he does but they need depth at the position regardless. Diggs has to have someone to draw coverage. I think they are worried they could be without bease and smoke at the same time out of precaution, not prediction. 

What is Lee Evans up to?

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

People are to quick to jump to negative conclusions on something like this.  The reality is that BOTH Beasley & Brown are questionable going into the playoffs.  However it's likely that Brown will be able to go this week and week one of the playoffs and Beasley is likley to be available by week 2 of the playoffs. 

Worst case scenario is both Brown & Beasely are unavailable for the first playoff game and the best case scenario is that they're both available.  So it makes sense to pad the roster depth at WR in the event the worst case scenario plays out.

Smart, proactive move by the Bill's front office.

The Bills were probably not expecting Kumerow to be snatched, so he's actually a replacement for Jake. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Agreed I think this is just let be safe and sign this guy, he's been waiting on a playoff team to sign with and Buffalo sure fits that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

The Bills were probably not expecting Kumerow to be snatched, so he's actually a replacement for Jake. 

I feel like they are two different levels of player. Kumerow is a PS guy who got elevated, not a legit starter. I think the kid from Seattle who visited yesterday is his replacement. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think you're probably right.  That's in line with my point about Brown; if he's down, and if Beasley is hobbled, our aspirations would be similarly hobbled without some help.  

I'll add another layer to the onion.  I completely agree with the your point the Stills thing is probably borne of a desire to protect from losing both Beasley and Brown at the same time.  But, if we 're looking at running into Miami again, or if we just want to add another element to our offense that has worked in the past, playing Stills could let us put speed in the slot again.  I think Daboll did this in 2018 (Thompson and Foster, perhaps??), and I think it was against Miami in the last game of the season.  Not a bad wrinkle to consider with the Beasley injury. 

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

They aren’t going to IR Beasley. 

so the question is who gets cut or IR’d? 

Wouldn't he just replace Brown on the roster? I didn't think he counted being on the covid list.

I also think Diggs can run some more slot and is at least as shifty as Beasley. You just bring Stills in on the outside and hopefully keep it as simple as possible for him. Lots of go routes to start.

47 minutes ago, The BLUES Brothers said:

Chris Brown reporting this is going to happen. The Dolphins radio guy on WGR and said he really liked Stills when he was with the Dolphins and seemed depressed the Bills are getting him.

Well if I were a FA WR I think the Bills with Josh would be a far more attractive destination over the TUA led Fins.

Josh gets the ball out to WR's downfield and spreads it around consistantly throwing for 300+ yds.

Tua is captain checkdown at this point and 90 to 150yd games are common.

Not to mention the revenge factor involved. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Haven't heard anything...from what they said it was from contact tracing that was done which means it isn't a positive test and as far as we know he hasn't tested positive. If he did it would have been reported.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Wouldn't he just replace Brown on the roster? I didn't think he counted being on the covid list.

I also think Diggs can run some more slot and is at least as shifty as Beasley. You just bring Stills in on the outside and hopefully keep it as simple as possible for him. Lots of go routes to start.

good point. I was assuming JB was coming off the list, but maybe not.

What I like about stills is the position flexibility— being able to Play both in the slot and outside. Seems like a great depth signing going into the playoffs. 

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is why Knox and Lee Smith got a lot of action in the game on Monday.  Belichick was trying to remove Diggs as an option and he left the TEs exposed.

If Beasley and Brown are out, look for Knox and Singletary to get more looks from Allen in the passing game.  This may have the unpleasant side effect of screwing with QB protection if the TEs have to go out and make more plays instead of pass protecting.

If Stills does get signed, it becomes more important for Allen to play on Sunday to develop some kind of rhythm with him.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, sullim4 said:

This is why Knox and Lee Smith got a lot of action in the game on Monday.  Belichick was trying to remove Diggs as an option and he left the TEs exposed.

If Beasley and Brown are out, look for Knox and Singletary to get more looks from Allen in the passing game.  This may have the unpleasant side effect of screwing with QB protection if the TEs have to go out and make more plays instead of pass protecting.

If Stills does get signed, it becomes more important for Allen to play on Sunday to develop some kind of rhythm with him.

He needs to clear the 6 day covid protocol so he wont be playing this weekend either way.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

good point. I was assuming JB was coming off the list, but maybe not.

What I like about stills is the position flexibility— being able to Play both in the slot and outside. Seems like a great depth signing going into the playoffs. 

I haven't heard if Brown tested positive or not - assumed it was close contact with Yeldon, but...

Yeah, it just might be tough for Stills to understand the offense that quickly. If he breaks in and Josh throws out for example, it's probably a pick. I don't want to see something like that damage our chances in the playoffs.

43 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Wanted them to sign him when Brown went down.  Now with Beasley down probably for rest of playoffs, Davis can kick inside where he is good and Stills can be outside depth.

Not sure where the "Davis is good inside" school of thought is coming from.  he played outside the numbers exclusively in college.

Hodgson is the rookie who played inside a bit but he is on IR

55 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Not excited to hear this.

Kenny Stills is a good player.  But he's been sitting on the open market for over a month now.

With COVID precautions, I'm not sure he could even be available to play for us in Week 17.

The timing tells me they are at least worried about Cole Beasley being available for the playoffs.

No one wants to hear Beasley is hurt, but it is a positive that Beane is taking action to fill that potential hole with a good receiver, gotta be proactive under these sorts of situations, 

Go Bills!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

Sorry this is not possible  with Covid protocols given that it's WED already

14 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Not sure where the "Davis is good inside" school of thought is coming from.  he played outside the numbers exclusively in college.

Hodgson is the rookie who played inside a bit but he is on IR

He's played slot some in the NFL and during TC, the media was saying that is where he was playing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This is the way I see it. Stills may not be a Diggs type of talent. But he is a solid receiver. I think this is a good if not great move on Beane’s part. The one thing that a lot of us need to remember is what Diggs said about Allen. He said he wants to play hard for Allen. I think Stills will as well. To me, it’s win-win

Edited by buffalo2218

The term "slot" is a little different when teams play wide formations these days. Sure, with four wide, two will be in "the slot" by definition. But often they are really wide, or really tight, or in the same place on the field that is normally an outside guy's place and route. The Bills play an interchangeable offense a lot of the time. Having a pure slot guy like Beasley is great, and he has had a terrific year. But all of our guys can and will play in the slot if Cole can't.

• Like (+1) 1