WR Kenny Stills said to be visiting Buffalo (no confirmation he signed)

Rubes

1 hour ago, Buddo said:

We could just view this as another aspect of the 'continuous improvement' mantra.

Does Stills make our roster better?

Very probably.

Make the move.

Beat me to it.

Half of the problem is that we are so used to second guessing moves, we might not see the bit that is right in front of us.

While much of what has been discussed has validity, I would still say that when the decision gets made, 'does he make our roster better' will be very high on the list.

I've been thinking about this aspect a lot in a macro sense. As someone who (usually), to a detriment, questions everything, I've found myself responding to others in conversation about Bills decisions with something along the lines of, "who am I to question them at this point?"...which I get is kind of lame in this Hot Take world, but I've settled into the trust tree nicely. I am enjoying the ride, however long this lasts. 

Now, that doesn't mean we can't get into the weeds, I think that's why we're here (and I need reminding)... but I just wanted to state how weird and how foreign a feeling it is. 

For the longest time, I wanted a coach or team that did the little things. Things like finding a left footed punter because maybe it's 0.35% harder to catch the ball as a return man with it spinning the other way. And I think it is clear we have a GM/Coach tandem dedicated to that philosophy and... I don't know what to do with my hands.

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep that 4th round Rookie that some decided to trash today was leading the Receivers in TDs until Monday. Now he is 2nd place with 6. I think that is great production value from a 4th round Rookie (with very limited offseason). 

Well said. Some of these guys, especially rookies actually read these posts. Let's support these players that produce. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

Why find reasons to pick apart a big physical red zone target who happens to be a rookie. He wasn't expected to be a big contributor, or #2 receiver in his 1st year. Instead of knocking this 4th rd. gem, try crediting him for being the starting wide receiver for the most prolific offense in football. Don't denigrate him by saying any success he's had is due to Dabol's play calling. That's silly. He still has to get open and catch the ball. 

He's [Edit: I'm responding to someone talking about DAVIS] also won praise for being a smart football guy who can substitute for all 3 WR roles.  He blocks well on almost every play that doesn't go to him and is heads-up - he laid the lumber on one block and held another long enough to spring Allen's long TD run up the middle against Denver which is good, alert play since that apparently wasn't a designed run.  That Denver safety is still trying to figure out what just hit him.  He fills his role of clearing guys out well when he's not the read instead of half-assing his route like I've seen Singletary do a couple of times.

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He's also won praise for being a smart football guy who can substitute for all 3 WR roles.  He blocks well on almost every play that doesn't go to him and is heads-up - he laid the lumber on one block and held another long enough to spring Allen's long TD run up the middle against Denver which is good, alert play since that apparently wasn't a designed run.  That Denver safety is still trying to figure out what just hit him.  He fills his role of clearing guys out well when he's not the read instead of half-assing his route like I've seen Singletary do a couple of times.

How is this guy not on a roster yet?

Edited by Warcodered
Wrong guy didn't know it was Davis

20 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Little bit of column A, little bit of Column B.  Depth is always good in the post season but with the uncertainty of Beasley at this point, it's just a good signing to have someone else that can go just in case.

Also we signed Gary Jennings to the PS so that fills Kumerow's spot (unless they have another spot available).

I just think it's unrealistic to expect someone we just signed to be able to 1) master our said-to-be complex offense  2) fill Beasley's role which requires intense and careful mind-meld between WR and QB to avoid interceptions

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fast guy, 4.38.  Plays about 1/3 of his snaps in the slot.

Started the season playing about 30-40% of the snaps on offense, but seems to have had some bad games with drops and saw his playing time drop

He was traded in early 19 and had 72.7% catch%.  Not outstanding but pretty good.  In 2020 I think trading away Hopkins had a big part in his lack of production. 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

LOL voodoo. Stills is home on his couch this am.

So, 😁

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I just think it's unrealistic to expect someone we just signed to be able to 1) master our said-to-be complex offense  2) fill Beasley's role which requires intense and careful mind-meld between WR and QB to avoid interceptions

I don't expect him to do either.  I expect other players (any combo of Diggs, Brown, Davis) to fill in the slot position and give Stills some easy options on the outside so he can learn what we do.  Basically just use his speed to clear up the under stuff and if he gets open then we can try to hit him.

Edited by The Wiz

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He's [Edit: I'm responding to someone talking about DAVIS] also won praise for being a smart football guy who can substitute for all 3 WR roles.  He blocks well on almost every play that doesn't go to him and is heads-up - he laid the lumber on one block and held another long enough to spring Allen's long TD run up the middle against Denver which is good, alert play since that apparently wasn't a designed run.  That Denver safety is still trying to figure out what just hit him.  He fills his role of clearing guys out well when he's not the read instead of half-assing his route like I've seen Singletary do a couple of times.

Great post. The guy is going to be a mainstay on this team for years.

4 hours ago, Beast said:

Not sure what Stills would offer other than another body. Chemistry is built over time. 

yea but if bringing in a guy, a guy with talent is nice 

32 minutes ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

Why find reasons to pick apart a big physical red zone target who happens to be a rookie. He wasn't expected to be a big contributor, or #2 receiver in his 1st year. Instead of knocking this 4th rd. gem, try crediting him for being the starting wide receiver for the most prolific offense in football. Don't denigrate him by saying any success he's had is due to Dabol's play calling. That's silly. He still has to get open and catch the ball. 

the dude gave him credit too. 

why so sensitive?

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I mean he certainly hasn't been awful but he is a rookie that was drafted in the 4th round for a reason. He hasn't shown he can handle consistent targets yet. Stills definitely offers more at this stage of their careers. I think he immediately becomes the #4 WR.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Eh I know this isn't a popular opinion but i think Davis is overrated on this board. His TDs are mostly schemed open. It's one of Daboll's specialities, taking players that the defense isn't really thinking about and drawing attention elsewhere to get them open. And Allen has been good at recognizing when those throws are available. When we try to make Davis a focal point it hasn't worked out at all.

He has had a couple really nice plays, notably his diving TD catch against the Dolphins and free play deep catch against the Chargers. But he has a long way to go before he can prove he belongs as even a #2 starter.

These Davis takes are a hoot...mostly fact free.

All the guy does, as a rookie, is show up ready to play every week, and produce. 

He has 3 drops on 57 targets.

He has 15 YPC, about 500 yards so far. 

He has 6 TDs

He has 1st downs

To sum it up, he has 33 catches:  31 resulted in either TDs or 1st downs---and the is while settling for crumbs leftover from Diggs and Beasley. 

He's their best pick in the draft this past year, hands down.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

yea but if bringing in a guy, a guy with talent is nice 

So in the last several weeks, John B goes down for a bit, ready to come back and out again. Cole B injures his leg and is week to week.  

Beane and McD are planning for whatever might shake out over the next several weeks.  We have a gamer at Qb who can virtually hot every throw and you need the horses to catch the ball.  May mean nothing at all about Beasley or Brown, but it’s a smart move for a team that wants to win it all. 

3 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

So in the last several weeks, John B goes down for a bit, ready to come back and out again. Cole B injures his leg and is week to week.  

Beane and McD are planning for whatever might shake out over the next several weeks.  We have a gamer at Qb who can virtually hot every throw and you need the horses to catch the ball.  May mean nothing at all about Beasley or Brown, but it’s a smart move for a team that wants to win it all. 

yup. We see playoff teams bring in insurance policies regularly. This is a common sense one, even if those guys are in decent shape. Having 4 experienced vets plus the rookie is good stuff. If one misses a game you still have 4 good options to cycle without having to hope for someone stepping up. 

only so many of those guys out there week 17 but stills qualifies 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

What credit? Read the post again that I responded to. He killed the kid. Are you guys related?

you wanted him to give credit for catching the ball in a post that explicitly called out he’s made good catches. 

that he doesn’t have him as a top 64 wide receiver in the league isn’t killing him. 

guy has benefited greatly from his role, and made good on the opportunity. He’s got work to do to be diggs or brown. All fair.

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

All the guy does, as a rookie, is show up ready to play every week, and produce. 

He has 6 TDs

He has 1st downs

To sum it up, he has 33 catches:  31 resulted in either TDs or 1st downs---and the is while settling for crumbs leftover from Diggs and Beasley. 

Better than Bass? Not so sure...

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

you wanted him to give credit for catching the ball in a post that explicitly called out he’s made good catches. 

that he doesn’t have him as a top 64 wide receiver in the league isn’t killing him. 

guy has benefited greatly from his role, and made good on the opportunity. He’s got work to do to be diggs or brown. All fair.

The post was from "JoshAllenReceipts" 2 hours ago. Read it and see if he gave Davis credit. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Process said:

Would much rather have Beasley. This is terrible news regarding him. 

But Diggs , Brown and Stills is not bad. 

No one is going to replace was Beas was doing in the slot.

Why are you always so dramatic?  You have no idea if this is with regards to Beasley.  Literally zero clue.  

a good deep threat WR is available.   Kumerow was scooped up.  He may be just replacing Kumerow.  He may just be a decent player that could be a replacement in case someone else gets hurt.  Sure, it could mean that Beasley misses a playoff game or more. It might not. 

this is currently not terrible news regarding Beasley.  

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He has 6 TDs

He has 1st downs

Well said.  Sure does sounds like a ok 1st year numbers to me 👍.  Plus his team mates have a ton of respect for him.  Plus Bellicheck is a master at putting his db’s in the right place at the right time. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Better than Bass? Not so sure...

Be sure.  He finally passed 82% on FG.  He replaced a guy the Bills fired for being an 82% FG kicker for them (2 years at 79%).  There's 17 guy with better accuracy than him this year.  There are 10 guys with the same or better % over 50 yards.  

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Be sure.  He finally passed 82% on FG.  He replaced a guy the Bills fired for being an 82% FG kicker for them (2 years at 79%).  There's 17 guy with better accuracy than him this year.  There are 10 guys with the same or better % over 50 yards.  

Still pretty good for a rookie kicker.  He’s been money after an uneasy start.  Most teams worry about their rookie kicker.  We don’t.  Unless he gets the yips, he looks to be our kicker for the next decade+.

that said, Davis is a helluva draft pick and will likely be viewed as the the more valuable pick if he signs a 2nd deal.  One thing I’ve notice, he rarely gets the ball thrown his way in the scramble drill.  Most of his receptions are within the progressions.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Why are you always so dramatic?  You have no idea if this is with regards to Beasley.  Literally zero clue.  

a good deep threat WR is available.   Kumerow was scooped up.  He may be just replacing Kumerow.  He may just be a decent player that could be a replacement in case someone else gets hurt.  Sure, it could mean that Beasley misses a playoff game or more. It might not. 

this is currently not terrible news regarding Beasley.  

3 minutes ago, Process said:

My post has more likes than yours #hehehe

4 hours vs 10 minutes.  

What can I say, the dramatic doom and gloomers must be attracted to this thread 

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Still pretty good for a rookie kicker.  He’s been money after an uneasy start.  Most teams worry about their rookie kicker.  We don’t.  Unless he gets the yips, he looks to be our kicker for the next decade+.

that said, Davis is a helluva draft pick and will likely be viewed as the the more valuable pick if he signs a 2nd deal.  One thing I’ve notice, he rarely gets the ball thrown his way in the scramble drill.  Most of his receptions are within the progressions.  

Being a rookie kicker is nothing like being a rookie WR.  

Bass isn't event the best K from Georgia Southern in the past 3 years!  Koo is killing it--95% and 8/8 from 50+