Is Jake Kumerow a potential Tight End?

PromoTheRobot

6 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yes, that is amazing that he did that and he turned out to be a really good LB too. I don't recall how well he performed when he was on OL (thing it was with Washington), but he sure turned out to be a heck of a LB

I think he just played OL and TE on their practice squad and only played games at DL and on ST

But to transform his body from >300 lb, >25% body fat DL to a 244 lb, 12% body fat LB was pretty amazing (I think he said his 40 time dropped from 5.17s to under 4.5 s).

Even more amazing was to transform to playing MLB behind London Fletcher

Just a testament to the power of determination, focus, and hard work.

51 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We always want to move players....

Nothing takes the cake more than about 10 years ago, someone was adamant Kyle Williams needs to be moved to MLB.

didthatreallyhappen?

moving players to TE for Bills fans seems to be unusually common  :)

Ask Sherlock, you will get a definitive answer on that...

Go Bills!!!

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think he just played OL and TE on their practice squad and only played games at DL and on ST

But to transform his body from >300 lb, >25% body fat DL to a 244 lb, 12% body fat LB was pretty amazing (I think he said his 40 time dropped from 5.17s to under 4.5 s).

Good article (although I think I read it before) and good ads. I think I will have a Guinness after work.

20 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

didthatreallyhappen?

moving players to TE for Bills fans seems to be unusually common  :)

11 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

He would need to gain 15-20 LBs.... but at 6’4” it may be possible with an off season 

He's had 2 off seasons already...

It's also unusually common for fans to think any player can just bulk up to whatever size fans would imagine.  

Dude is 22 lbs lighter than Mike Evans.....but he's gonna "bulk up" to be a TE?

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's also unusually common for fans to think any player can just bulk up to whatever size fans would imagine.  

Lets hope he can at least remain a solid ST player and when called into run routes and or block for the Offense , he looks as good as he did catching that pass.

That's is certainly good enough for me.

Allen/Daboll don't really need TEs as much as teams like the Ravens , with Bills WR core anyways. :)
Bit of luxury at long last

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

Lets hope he can at least remain a solid ST player and when called into run routes and or block for the Offense , he looks as good as he did catching that pass.

That's is certainly good enough for me.

Allen/Daboll don't really need TEs as much as teams like the Ravens , with Bills WR core anyways. :)
Bit of luxury at long last

He caught a pass lol.  Did he look 12 times better last year?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We always want to move players....

Nothing takes the cake more than about 10 years ago, someone was adamant Kyle Williams needs to be moved to MLB.

Lolol meatballs the MIC

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

under 4.5 Lorax .... come on now.. 

So since this post is about changing players positions, why is EJ Epenesa listed as a DE and appears that is the position he's been playing but is wearing #57 a LB number?  I get it, there's some gray area there, but why didn't he just take a high number?  Could even understand it more the other way, he started as a DE, but now they are having him play more a LB role, but he's still wearing a DE number.

This however is the opposite!

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We lost Poz in free agency and he thought Williams would make the perfect replacement.

He used Spencer Johnson as an example that we could do it again.  But he wouldn’t acknowledge that it didn’t work.

Wow we really had no talent on this team for 2 decades besides a hand full of players its really sad 

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So since this post is about changing players positions, why is EJ Epenesa listed as a DE and appears that is the position he's been playing but is wearing #57 a LB number?  I get it, there's some gray area there, but why didn't he just take a high number?  Could even understand it more the other way, he started as a DE, but now they are having him play more a LB role, but he's still wearing a DE number.

AJ

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

Is Kumerow going back to the Practice Squad when Smoke is fully active?

Most likely unfortunately

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

AJ

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Lolol meatballs the MIC

under 4.5 Lorax .... come on now.. 

I'm just telling ya what he said...if you feel the man exaggerated by a tenth or three, that's between you and him.  But I will say...if the guy could run 5.17 lugging >300 lbs and >25% body fat around, who knows what he could do at 240 and 12% body fat, and knowing Lorax, probably trained for speed also.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

6ft 4in, 210 lbs, good hands. Can he block? Run routes? Get open? We have a full WR room but we could use a second TE threat. Any chance this is something McBeane are thinking?

Kumerow is known as one of the best blocking WR's in the NFL. 

The idea of him as a TE is intriguing. I like it!

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Kumerow?  He was an UDFA in 2015.  Spent 3 seasons on various practice squads.  So he's had 5 off seasons. 

Yep.  People can affect their physique, but not necessarily that much.  If you look at the guy's arms, he's cut like an anatomy model.  If the rest of him matches, I'd say he's developed.  20-25 lbs are not going to walk in the door and settle onto his frame.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm just telling ya what he said...if you feel the man exaggerated by a tenth or three, that's between you and him.  But I will say...if the guy could run 5.17 lugging >300 lbs and >25% body fat around, who knows what he could do at 240 and 12% body fat, and knowing Lorax, probably trained for speed also.

Yeah I was wondering about that 4.5 time. I don't recall him saying that. Not saying he didn't of course but if he did, I will take his word for it.

Because he did do an amazing job getting more "in shape" I guess you could say than he was. Even when he was 300 lbs he was still in good shape. Good enough to play in the NFL anyways. So yeah he definitely got a lot faster to play LB. I just thought 4.5 was a little faster than I would have thought.

Again, not saying you are wrong or that he didn't say that. Just saying that's real damn impressive if he did indeed run that kind of time after basically transforming himself.

Not happening. If he could he already would have. He’s been bouncing around for couple years. Virtually impossible for players to change positions in NFL. With the exception of OL flexibility, and CB to S. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I hear where you are going with it, personally I’d like to see if he is a special teams ace who can contribute some as a big bodied WR. Something to be said for guys who can gather the majority of special teams snaps and contribute on offense or defense, like Darryl Johnson. Long term would like to see less and less players like T. Jones and Matakevich.

Why less Matakevich? He has been really good for us. Do you mean just because he is here primarily for teams? Well it has kinda worked. I believe we are top 10 in all 4 major categories. 

Special teams matter. Especially when you are in a division with Belichick.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

think he can put on the weight necessary to play effective TE? To put it in perspective, looking at other primarily pass catching tight ends, Kelce is listed at 260, Waller 255, Engram 240. All are comparable in height.

A week hanging out at Golden Corral with Rob Ryan ought to handle it.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Why less Matakevich? He has been really good for us. Do you mean just because he is here primarily for teams? Well it has kinda worked. I believe we are top 10 in all 4 major categories. 

I agree special teams matter and you bring up and excellent point about Belichick . The issue for me is cost.  We are going to need every penny pretty soon for resigning players like D. Williams. Matakevich is signed to a two year $7.1 million contract. I would like to see someone making $3.5+ capable of contributing some on offense or defense like a Johnson or Kumerow. If we see Matakevich at LB or Jones at RB we are in trouble. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

49 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I agree special teams matter and you bring up and excellent point about Belichick . The issue for me is cost.  We are going to need every penny pretty soon for resigning players like D. Williams. Matakevich is signed to a two year $7.1 million contract. I would like to see someone making $3.5+ capable of contributing some on offense or defense like a Johnson or Kumerow. If we see Matakevich at LB or Jones at RB we are in trouble. 

Got ya. I think the money point is a good one. I have long said when you start signing your own as the Bills have now started to then your "mid range" such as the contract Matakevich is on necessarily shrinks. We will still need to find one or two core special teamers who are likely not going to contribute much on O or D... but you are right to say that contract is probably a bit rich in a scenario where Josh, Diggs, Dawkins, White and possibly Edmunds and Oliver are eating a fair chunk of your cap.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He can block pretty dang well. Rodgers wanted him because he was so reliable in his route running.

I don't know if he's got the metabolism or body type or whatever it is to add weight/muscle and become a TE; he's 27 and this has probably been suggested.

To be a legit TE in this league he would probably need to add 30-35 lbs to get up to 240 or 245 and that might still be a little light.  Adding that much weight would likely effect his speed...he ran a 4.5 as a WR, so you are probably looking at a 4.65 or 4.7 as a TE....I don't think that is going to be good enough.

9 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yeah I was wondering about that 4.5 time. I don't recall him saying that. Not saying he didn't of course but if he did, I will take his word for it.

Because he did do an amazing job getting more "in shape" I guess you could say than he was. Even when he was 300 lbs he was still in good shape. Good enough to play in the NFL anyways. So yeah he definitely got a lot faster to play LB. I just thought 4.5 was a little faster than I would have thought.

Again, not saying you are wrong or that he didn't say that. Just saying that's real damn impressive if he did indeed run that kind of time after basically transforming himself.

It was on one of "The Lo Down" segments he used to film each week with Tasker and Murphy.  I'm pretty sure it was the one before the Ravens game, and I think the number he cited was lower than that haha! but I don't have time to go hunt.  For sure, Zo had transformed himself to play way faster than his 5.17s combine 40 time!

But then as I think many a 4.5 LB or 4.4 DB who has found himself watching Josh "4.75" Allen leave them in the dust might attest....40 speed and on field speed can be different things

Edit: I didn't have time to hunt down that section of the Lo Down, but I did find this:

'Zo at age 34 in 2017 being filmed running a 4.65 40 yd dash.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/01/watch-lorenzo-alexander-celebrate-his-34th-birthday-with-a-4-65-second-40-yard-dash/

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sure he'll stay at receiver. He brings some size to the position and I believe he's faster than Duke. Rodgers loved him in Green Bay, said on record several times he wanted to see Kumerow get more snaps. So what did Green Bay do? They cut him and drafted a Rodgers replacement! 

On 12/22/2020 at 8:38 PM, Mr. WEO said:

He caught a pass lol.  Did he look 12 times better last year?

I did note "pass" not passes  :)
Seems to be a teams player of notice. And if he catch another pass , as he did last game? Well that's good enough for me my Friend Weo

Go Bills

On 12/23/2020 at 3:26 AM, GunnerBill said:

Teams have been much improved all around by now. Whether it the players or Coaches , we now have a solid 3rd leg to stand upon in games.

On the bolded, I can well imagine he is feared/respected by returners. Brings that lumber and smart.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/23/2020 at 12:19 PM, blacklabel said:

I'm sure he'll stay at receiver. He brings some size to the position and I believe he's faster than Duke. Rodgers loved him in Green Bay, said on record several times he wanted to see Kumerow get more snaps. So what did Green Bay do? They cut him and drafted a Rodgers replacement! 

Guess the Bills didn’t love him either.