How do we keep Daboll around?

Nothing the Bills will do can make him stay. Sure, if you said we'll give you 25 million a year then he may consider it, but the other owners in the NFL are unlikely to just let such an escalation in salary occur without... interference even if the Bills would do it. You can't even fire McDermott (not that I would do that) to give him the HC job here because that would be such a dysfunction. 

He's going to take a HC job. I think he's done an awesome job, but I don't think it's going to bottom out without him. There are other good OCs out there and working with Allen is going to be attractive (if they don't promote someone on staff)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

I fear my worst nightmare will materialize, Daboll will end up with the Jets and we'll have to face him 2x a year.  Lawrence, Watson and Herbert are all attractive options for him but the most appealing situation will have to be those extra 2 first round picks the Jets get from the Jamal Adams trade. Thanks to BOB, the Texans traded away 2 first round picks AND a 2nd rounder for Laremy Tunsil so Texans will be short-handed draft-wise and not in great cap shape.

The Jets are an absolute nightmare of an organization. Chargers and Texans look like the best options 

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Surely there are enough Bills fans who look similar to Daboll.  Bills Mafia grabs Daboll on the way to interviews, substitutes 'Dabollganger'.  The pantomime Daboll advocates that the interviewing teams will find success running an overage running back for two downs, a screen pass on third down, and a punt.  All teams pass on Daboll's services.

McBeane! You heard the man. Commence Operation Dabollganger, post-haste!

3 hours ago, KGun12TD said:

I can’t see how we keep him after winning the Super Bowl this season.

Best of both worlds I think but which team will wait that long to hire head coach knowing that head coach will have trouble getting staff,

Fairest thing would be NFL to make rule that no coaches can be hired between end of regular season and end of Superbowl unless death or significant illness occurs which would prevent coach from coaching following year. This would ensure insure that all coaches including some "minority" (black) coordinators got equal shots.

woo hoo J E T S Jets Jets JETS! lol! glad they won

5 minutes ago, mabden said:

Give Daboll a lot of money in an extended contract with a clause stipulating that if the Bills win a Super Bowl,  he is free to pursue Head Coaching options.

I have never heard of this done before but i am game... no cap space needed to over pay a coach.. don't count as cap.. pay the man lol

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

The Jets are an absolute nightmare of an organization. Chargers and Texans look like the best options 

Yup, nobody with a brain takes the jets HCing job don’t be shocked if they keep Gase...😂

11 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Imagine if we get lucky and this guy just is happy and doesn’t want to leave? Maybe not everyone wants the responsibility of being a HC? Maybe if we pay him enough and he loves josh so much...he would just stay? He is from the area. It’s not impossible.

I wish, but i dont think any guy with that trait makes it to a level like the nfl!  Like why does Buffett have any motivation to work, he shouldnt but you dont get to that level with the ability to JUST turn off that switch. I think its forgone at this point unfortuanately

I know a lot of yall think given the opportunity to bolt he will. I'm not so sure he would want to. He has family and a really sweet gig here.

And even if he leaves so be it.  He may take the Xs and Os with him, but the Jimmy and Joes and McDermott and Beane and the D are all staying.

We have to start the McDermott coaching tree 🌳sometime.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He’s gone just except it

I can't John,

Brian Daboll is such a big part Josh Allens success and along with it the Buffalo Bills.

My hopes are the Pegula's can find some way lucrative enough to entice him to stay.  

A teary eyed Josh Allen at the Dinner table with the Pegula's and Daboll to help negotiations

Bonus Bugatti sittig in the parking lot for Brian perhaps. 

17 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Fantasyland. Daboll isn’t turning down an NFL head coaching job for more money, not under this head coach. Keep dreaming though.

It’d be a different story if he was serving under an old head coach, headed for retirement and Daboll was given insurances (as well as a raise) that he’d be guaranteed the job. But McD is a young coach, who just signed an extension. No way no how Daboll sticks around if he’s offered a HC job. Silly to even entertain the thought.

I agree. He's as good as gone and will probably have his choice of Herbert, Watson or Lawrence to coach up.  I just hope Dorsey is Sean's contingency plan. 

18 hours ago, DaggersEOD said:

Can’t disagree that convincing him to stay would be a tough sell. I just think that when you spend this much time developing / growing something like we now have at the Bills, it’s tough to walk away right before you arrive. 

But I may just be wishing lol

I agree. BUT.... iF we win the SB, his job here is done -though that may we’ll be too late for Black Monday openings.

18 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Daboll is gone after the season. Next man up

You’re sure of this? You have information from Deep Within? No? Then stfu.😘

18 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

He has a connection to the QB he already has developed. He has a connection to the city, and the team. I don’t get the sense from interviews with Daboll, that being a HC is what he’s after. I feel like it’s a lot of talk because that’s what the professional talkers do. 

Good coaches get opportunities, no matter when they come up. I don’t see Daboll or Frazier leaving. 

In my estimation, this is the biggest plus for him staying. He’s from WNY, loves talking about all the neighborhoods only a local would know and has his growing children near family & grandparents. As a wage earner, he’s been a 1%er for at least a decade now. This affords the personal luxury of living wherever you want and not worrying about anything. 

Think about what *should* be going on with a serious candidate for such a rare opportunity. You’d have to have detailed agenda for each specific opportunity available -*current players and their best attributes, *knowledge of very good players elsewhere who have skills specific to your best schemes which may be quality ST guys you can acquire for a song. *HC game mgmnt preferences (strong D, ball control/clock eating O?). *Intell on incoming rookie class and pending FAs for every offensive position with preferences and plan for use. Staff preferences and plan to acquire them from elsewhere. *Location, Location, Location. Much time must already be invested for this as developing game plans for next weeks’ Playoff opponent is front & center presently.

i hope he stays as we’ve all lost a quarter century to terrible football we’ll never get back. But if it’s his dream to be a HC, then Best Wishes, Brian.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Think about what *should* be going on with a serious candidate for such a rare opportunity. You’d have to have detailed agenda for each specific opportunity available -*current players and their best attributes, *knowledge of very good players elsewhere who have skills specific to your best schemes which may be quality ST guys you can acquire for a song. *HC game mgmnt preferences (strong D, ball control/clock eating O?). *Intell on incoming rookie class and pending FAs for every offensive position with preferences and plan for use. Staff preferences and plan to acquire them from elsewhere.

This can all be summarized as "How can I get Hue Jackson, Gregg Williams, and Adam Gase on my coaching staff?"
🤔

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The thing is Justin Herbert, Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence are potential options on the job market. If he is offered one of those 3 jobs it is hard to turn down.

The Chargers would be a great fit for Daboll because of Justin Herbert.. With the help of Daboll, Herbert could be a top 5 QB.. The Texans, Jets and Jaguars on the other hand are meh.. Texans have no 1st RD pick this year nor next year.. The Jets have terrible ownership and just a poor organization all around, very dysfunctional.. The Jaguars also seem to be a very meh organization.. I think Daboll would do well with Herbert and maybe Stafford.. Although the Lions just like the Jags, Texans and Jets are a pretty underwhelming organization.. I would totally understand if he left to coach Herbert though.. That would be a great fit for Daboll.. if not, I’d wait..

19 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

The Chargers would be a great fit for Daboll because of Justin Herbert.. With the help of Daboll, Herbert could be a top 5 QB.. The Texans, Jets and Jaguars on the other hand are meh.. Texans have no 1st RD pick this year nor next year.. The Jets have terrible ownership and just a poor organization all around, very dysfunctional.. The Jaguars also seem to be a very meh organization.. I think Daboll would do well with Herbert and maybe Stafford.. Although the Lions just like the Jags, Texans and Jets are a pretty underwhelming organization.. I would totally understand if he left to coach Herbert though.. That would be a great fit for Daboll.. if not, I’d wait..

Correction on the Texans they do have a first round pick in 2022. They don't have a 1st or a 2nd in 2021 and they still have a bit of cap cleaning to do in that first year. But from 2022 the Texans job set up really nicely. You have Watson and you have nobody else you are tied to cap wise. If you get a Beane and McDermott combo in there with a plan to re-make a roster Houston is an attractive job. You can do your clean up year 1, get the pieces in place year 2 and have the potential to seriously compete by year 3.

On the Chargers - I think while that is the best opportunity in terms of QB and talented roster combo, that doesn't come without an ownership asterisk as well. The Spanos don't like spending on free agents, don't pay coaches well and don't have a great reputation for providing the things behind the scenes - facilities, scouting resources etc to help them win. The question is do Daboll and his old buddy Tom Telesco think they can overcome that.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's not turning down a HC job if offered. 

IMO he'd turn down some of the crappier ones without a second thought. But if it's a good fit I agree, they won't be able to keep him with money and an assistant head coach title.

He's in the driver's seat right now. He's no beggar, and he can be a chooser.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I concur.....he would be great for the Chargers offense

• Like (+1) 1

You could try to match whatever contract he gets offered.  But you could get out bid and you could end up in a situation where the oc makes more than the hc.  It might also depend on his desires.  There are going to be a lot of jobs and they will want someone who can work with a young qb.  Whether he is or is not responsible for Allen’s development does not really matter.   He will reap the rewards.  

I think the Bills have a lot to keep Dabol around just because of it being his home town team which he rooted for when he was young but there will be a lot of teams interested in his services after this season because of what he has done for Josh and the offense .

So although i think he has reason to stay around the only thing i think might make him stick around is if the Bills don't win a SB this season that may be the one and only motivating factor to keep him here .

Other than that you know some team is going to back up the Brinks truck to take not only him but possibly Frazier too so the Pegs will need to make a heck of a offer along with a very heart felt speech to keep them around but i think they know there will be a line waiting to talk to them . 

26 minutes ago, T master said:

I think the Bills have a lot to keep Dabol around just because of it being his home town team which he rooted for when he was young but there will be a lot of teams interested in his services after this season because of what he has done for Josh and the offense .

So although i think he has reason to stay around the only thing i think might make him stick around is if the Bills don't win a SB this season that may be the one and only motivating factor to keep him here .

Other than that you know some team is going to back up the Brinks truck to take not only him but possibly Frazier too so the Pegs will need to make a heck of a offer along with a very heart felt speech to keep them around but i think they know there will be a line waiting to talk to them . 

it's not always about the money...the money will be there....most coordinators want to be Head Coach