The Slide (Stefon Diggs): smart move?

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/every-stefon-diggs-catch-from-his-118-yard-game-week-9

about 50 seconds in.  Diggs makes the catch for the first down, gains about 10 yds RAC, and finishes up with a nifty slide.  4 SeaSnakes defenders are closing on him when he slides and they're all like standing around looking a bit confused.  I think on some teams, a few of them would hit Diggs anyway and take their chances that the refs wouldn't call it.

I don't remember if I've ever seen a WR do this.  I guess I thought the "player who gives himself up" and slides rule only applies to QBs, because after all football is a tough game where usually players take pride in fighting for every yard.  But of course we had a good lead at the time and Diggs had just gained another 10 or so YAC. 

I didn't know what to think at the time but I decided it's smart savvy football.  Diggs is tough and will make those contested catches where he knows he's going to get hammered and fight for every yard when he needs it; why shouldn't he save his body and slide or go out of bounds when he can? Plus of course he's in the redzone, and if they managed to hold him up and strip the ball it could turn the game.

I was just surprised at the time.  I can't recall seeing another WR do this

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/every-stefon-diggs-catch-from-his-118-yard-game-week-9

about 50 seconds in.  Diggs makes the catch for the first down, gains about 10 yds RAC, and finishes up with a nifty slide.  4 SeaSnakes defenders are closing on him when he slides and they're all like standing around looking a bit confused.  I think on some teams, a few of them would hit Diggs anyway and take their chances that the refs wouldn't call it.

I don't remember if I've ever seen a WR do this.  I guess I thought the "player who gives himself up" and slides rule only applies to QBs, because after all football is a tough game where usually players take pride in fighting for every yard.  But of course we had a good lead at the time and Diggs had just gained another 10 or so YAC. 

I didn't know what to think at the time but I decided it's smart savvy football.  Diggs is tough and will make those contested catches where he knows he's going to get hammered and fight for every yard when he needs it; why shouldn't he save his body and slide or go out of bounds when he can? Plus of course he's in the redzone, and if they managed to hold him up and strip the ball it could turn the game.

Thoughts?

I liked the move. I agree it is not often that you see that, but one could say that Beasley does the same at times when he catches the ball and kind of purposely tumbles/pulls forward after the catch, takes minimal contact on the ground.

I was happy to see Diggs do it rather than take a hit. Smart football. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yeah but what was up with the high stepping he was doing out there on a couple of plays? That was a bit odd. Not sure Coach wants him doing that. 

As I understand it's just another move in the arsenal to make guys miss.  If you're running full bore it's hard on the joints and muscles to change speed (or change direction) suddenly but putting some air under your steps changes your speed and also allows a directional shift with less joint impact.  I'm pretty sure Coach approves and may even be teaching it.

Diggs is an artist and he was having fun out there.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thoughts?

I feel like Marvin Harrison used to do this fairly often 

I remember Chris Carter did this a few times pretty much every game. And Randy Moss started doing it also when they played together. I'm okay with it when there's 3-4 guys there. Less punishment to your body and no risk of fumble. Robert Woods got stripped a few times trying to power through defenders. But he's f$#@ing crazy though. 

Remember all the shots Diggs took in Week 1? He surely does, and wouldn't finish the season if that was every game. Smart move to avoid getting hit by the 4 Sehawks closing in around him. He's got to be available to keep coming up with catches all game. He's being going out of bounds when it's the smart thing to do too.

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thoughts?

It was my thought that Diggs had a choice of getting gang tackled by four opponents and gaining no more yards, or sliding for the same yards gained and not get his clock cleaned, imo it was a astute move by Diggs.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yeah but what was up with the high stepping he was doing out there on a couple of plays? That was a bit odd. Not sure Coach wants him doing that. 

I thought the same - not like that mini high step was gaining him anything....nothing at all was gained.  He can keep that for when he is crossing the goal line.....then?  High Step all ya want!

53 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

At worst that could open him up to a taunting penalty.  Can't say if that has ever been called, but if there is a first time it would be against the Bills

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thoughts?

Play safe, keep the clock running with 5 minutes to go in the 2nd QTR and if hit draw a flag.

• Like (+1) 1

I was a little surprised at the time, as well. But, two things struck me: 1) I completely trust Diggs' instincts, and if he thought there were no more yards to gain there, then that's his decision. We've seen him fight for yards, and put his body on the line enough to know he's no coward. And 2) Thank you, Diggs for protecting your body. If there's one guy on offense (other than Allen) that we want to remain as healthy as possible, it's Diggs. 

So, yeah. Smart football.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think on some teams, a few of them would hit Diggs anyway and take their chances that the refs wouldn't call it.

Thoughts?

At worst it would be a Personal Foul, hit on a defenseless player rule since the WR has "given himself up."

I feel like I've seen it pretty often. 

A reasonable move as long as the next few yards are not important, and in this case they weren't. I wouldn't consider it so much a savvy play as just a way to cut down on wear and tear. He's a crucial part of our offense. Makes sense.

Edited by Thurman#1