The much maligned deterioration of the passing game...

Hebert19

So I was listening to Greg Cowell chat with Tasker and crew today and he mentioned the weather impact on bills passing offense so I thought I'd take a look at a few things.  Besides the fact that knox and brown have either been hurt or playing hurt which makes a big difference.  

1st bad game titans - yes.  Wasn't a great game but it was also first time we saw a team drop 7 back in coverage.  So he didn't adjust well.   We also got behind due to the bad early interception and were flat in general.   So lets call this a bad game. 

Chiefs - similar defensive gameplan.  But the keys that people miss when they lump this in with the slump is...it was kind of ***** weather.  Rain and windy.   And the TOP was over 37 min for the chiefs.   Offense hardly had any possessions because defense didn't get off the field.  Not sure this shows any regression.  

Jets - windy.  And he threw for 300+ and had the offense in scoring position 9 straight drives.  Penalties killed us from getting more points.   No regression there.  

Pats - gameplan was to run the ball.  Was windy as hell.   And Josh did what he needed to do as part of the gameplan.  

My point is...I'm not sure there really is a slump.  Yes we aren't putting up points a record rates but the weather and opponents are a huge factor.  

This week.  Bad defense.  Good weather.  We get back to where we started and have a huge offensive game.  

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Well, we'll see if we can beat seven back know that the other variables appear to be restored. Although JB I think is still FU.....

I think it's interesting that the seahags are stout vs. the run. Do we just throw or try to do both so we can play keep away?

Do we try an Offside K this week trying to steal a possession? Something like that has to happen I think. We definitely need STs to win. How are Seattle's STs? Ours are not playing that well particularly our punter on short to medium kicks I think...

10 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Excuses excuses. Top QBs don’t need excuses and are consistently good...Mahomes, Brady, etc.

Allen isn’t there yet and who knows if he ever will e 

I think Allen is on his way to being great but you’re 100% exactly right about the constant excuse making around here, especially from the OP.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Excuses excuses. Top QBs don’t need excuses and are consistently good...Mahomes, Brady, etc.

They have bad games too. Rodgers had a brutal game a few weeks ago.

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

So I was listening to Greg Cowell chat with Tasker and crew today and he mentioned the weather impact on bills passing offense so I thought I'd take a look at a few things.  Besides the fact that knox and brown have either been hurt or playing hurt which makes a big difference.  

1st bad game titans - yes.  Wasn't a great game but it was also first time we saw a team drop 7 back in coverage.  So he didn't adjust well.   We also got behind due to the bad early interception and were flat in general.   So lets call this a bad game. 

Chiefs - similar defensive gameplan.  But the keys that people miss when they lump this in with the slump is...it was kind of ***** weather.  Rain and windy.   And the TOP was over 37 min for the chiefs.   Offense hardly had any possessions because defense didn't get off the field.  Not sure this shows any regression.  

Jets - windy.  And he threw for 300+ and had the offense in scoring position 9 straight drives.  Penalties killed us from getting more points.   No regression there.  

Pats - gameplan was to run the ball.  Was windy as hell.   And Josh did what he needed to do as part of the gameplan.  

My point is...I'm not sure there really is a slump.  Yes we aren't putting up points a record rates but the weather and opponents are a huge factor.  

This week.  Bad defense.  Good weather.  We get back to where we started and have a huge offensive game.  

From your fingertips to.............well, the scoreboard!!! THAT is what counts! 

47 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

One reason for the Bills drafting Allen was to have a guy with a strong arm who could make throws that cut through the wind.

I think Allen has probably seen 7 drop back in coverage in multiple games by now.  The problem wasn't the 7 dropping back in coverage.  The problem was Allen "getting greedy" and forcing balls into coverage instead of taking what the D gave us, compounded by a complete and total lack of run game.

I don't think there's a "slump" or a "regression", but Allen (and our offense) have to be able to adjust more quickly and if there's a gap to a team's game, other teams will exploit it

There are some offenses (Patriots for example) that are genuinely difficult to diagnose and throw against

We're not going to "get back to where we started" and have a huge offensive game unless 1) Allen's shoulder is reasonably healed and able to make those pinpoint throws again 2) the Seasnakes are so foolish as to man-up on our guys - which they may do if we run all over them or cut them to death with the short passing game

• Like (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

From your fingertips to.............well, the scoreboard!!! THAT is what counts! 

They were 2-2 in the four games and the two they lost certainly weren't because of Allen.  Did he play great, as good as the first four games, no.  But the defense couldn't stop anything.  The KC they were trying to run the ball  with very little success to keep KC 's offense off the field and at the same time KC ran all over the bills to the tune of 37 minutes of possession.  So in 22 minutes they had the ball they scored 17 points.

So as to the scoreboard, we're 6-2

38 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Serious question: have you ever looked at the game logs of these undoubtedly "top QB"? 

Mahomes is at the top of the league right now and Allen isn't in his weight class (yet), but Mahomes, too, has days where he throws 2 INTs and 0 TDs and completes <55% of his passes and passes for less than 200 yds. 

Honest. 

He does.

Really.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

You’re an inspiration to pathetic trolls everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Serious question: have you ever looked at the game logs of these undoubtedly "top QB"? 

Mahomes is at the top of the league right now and Allen isn't in his weight class (yet), but Mahomes, too, has days where he throws 2 INTs and 0 TDs and completes <55% of his passes and passes for less than 200 yds. 

Honest. 

He does.

Really.

Not sure the internet is good enough to load stat logs in his section of underbridgeville. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

I'm not saying that Josh is 100% there yet, he still needs more experience. But...

You can throw out the Pats game as part of any type of slump. He didn't have a bad game at all. The game plan was to run the ball down their throats. They didn't need him to pass. (Dabol even said that they only practiced two passing plays all week leading up to the game). So, this can not be considered part of any slump, because Josh and the offense executed the game plan that was prepared and called.

The Jets game was a good game for Josh, except for not getting in the end zone (which has nothing to do with the number of corners dropped, because the field is shortened in the red zone). It had more to do with penalties and good defense. But Josh played a lot better in this game than a lot of posters give him credit for.

So, I would not include either of those games as a "slump" for either Josh or the offense. People may not have been happy with how close they were or the number of points scored, but these were not bad games by the offense.

Yes, Tennessee defended the Bills differently, and it looks like Josh/the offense didn't get a handle on that by the KC game either. But by the Jets game, Josh was executing the short passing game, taking what the defense gave him. So, it took him two games to adjust to a major change in how he was being defended. For a third year QB, I don't think that is bad at all. Not to mention that KC and Tenn are two of the best teams in the league.

Besides, not even the greats have 300-yard games every week, because the opponent, weather, injuries factor into how you are going to try to win the game. For instance, the QB most consider the best ever, Tom Brady, has 110 300-yard passing games in 343 career games. Or just under one-third of the games he has played. That averages out to just five 300-yard passing games per regular season (or 10-11 games/year across his career that he did not throw for 300 yards). Even Mahomes, who has been breaking all kinds of records for 300-yard games is at 50% (which is amazing) on the year and for his career ( 8 games a year with and 8 games a year without a 300-yard game). And he is a unicorn.

BTW, guess who else is at 50% on the year for 300-yard games?

People aren't making excuses for Josh or the offense, they are just saying that in reality, things probably aren't as bad as they look to a lot of people right now. And if the O-line gets settled and Brown and Knox are healthy, that will make a big difference too. But you can't discount weather and opponent when trying to assess Josh or the offense. Those things definitely dictate game plans. So, I do not think the offense or Josh are in any type of slump. They just had a couple of bad games against two of the best teams in the NFL and then game plan influenced the Pats game. Not getting in the end zone against the Jets was definitely a bit concerning. But, overall, they have been so good at that this year, that the Jets game is a blip, not a trend.

Keep the faith! Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, folz said:

I'm not saying that Josh is 100% there yet, he still needs more experience. But...

You can throw out the Pats game as part of any type of slump. He didn't have a bad game at all. The game plan was to run the ball down their throats. They didn't need him to pass. (Dabol even said that they only practiced two passing plays all week leading up to the game). So, this can not be considered part of any slump, because Josh and the offense executed the game plan that was prepared and called.

The Jets game was a good game for Josh, except for not getting in the end zone (which has nothing to do with the number of corners dropped, because the field is shortened in the red zone). It had more to do with penalties and good defense. But Josh played a lot better in this game than a lot of posters give him credit for.

So, I would not include either of those games as a "slump" for either Josh or the offense. People may not have been happy with how close they were or the number of points scored, but these were not bad games by the offense.

Yes, Tennessee defended the Bills differently, and it looks like Josh/the offense didn't get a handle on that by the KC game either. But by the Jets game, Josh was executing the short passing game, taking what the defense gave him. So, it took him two games to adjust to a major change in how he was being defended. For a third year QB, I don't think that is bad at all. Not to mention that KC and Tenn are two of the best teams in the league.

Besides, not even the greats have 300-yard games every week, because the opponent, weather, injuries factor into how you are going to try to win the game. For instance, the QB most consider the best ever, Tom Brady, has 110 300-yard passing games in 343 career games. Or just under one-third of the games he has played. That averages out to just five 300-yard passing games per regular season (or 10-11 games/year across his career that he did not throw for 300 yards). Even Mahomes, who has been breaking all kinds of records for 300-yard games is at 50% (which is amazing) on the year and for his career ( 8 games a year with and 8 games a year without a 300-yard game). And he is a unicorn.

BTW, guess who else is at 50% on the year for 300-yard games?

People aren't making excuses for Josh or the offense, they are just saying that in reality, things probably aren't as bad as they look to a lot of people right now. And if the O-line gets settled and Brown and Knox are healthy, that will make a big difference too. But you can't discount weather and opponent when trying to assess Josh or the offense. Those things definitely dictate game plans. So, I do not think the offense or Josh are in any type of slump. They just had a couple of bad games against two of the best teams in the NFL and then game plan influenced the Pats game. Not getting in the end zone against the Jets was definitely a bit concerning. But, overall, they have been so good at that this year, that the Jets game is a blip, not a trend.

Keep the faith! Go Bills!

Agree.   And while knox is a bit of a mess at times he also holds the safties in the middle if the field due to his ability to go down the seam.  Thus giving crosses and other deep plays a chance for brown and diggs

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

In my view, he has one bad game— Tennessee— where the game got away from the whole team. He was a bit off against KC, but I would chalk that up to the weather. 

I would generally agree. I would probably grade NE somewhere above slump but below good. Maybe a C. I could be convinced a third letter grade in either direction.  

Where I’ll probably disagree with you most is KC. Mahomes was something like 21/26, the weather wasn’t just super bad for Josh. He was 9/21 66 yards through 85% of the game. On top of that 1 completion for 15 yards was from the freebie Diggs throw underneath before the half. That freebie pass aside that makes the methodology of the passing game 8/20 for 51 yards. Discounting or not, that’s abysmal efficiency. 

Unless you’re playing in hurricane Katrina or that Indy snow game, there’s no answer for that other than “our QB played really poorly”. Especially when the other dude was 21/26 225 and 2 TDS. 

• Like (+1) 3

Shoulder injury and John Brown being too hurt to move the safeties back has hurt more than the weather.  Weather in Green Bay isn’t great either and that team has one good receiver and Rogers is shredding.  Josh needs to battle through this stretch - a QB’s development is rarely linear.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

I would generally agree. I would probably grade NE somewhere above slump but below good. Maybe a C. I could be convinced a third letter grade in either direction.  

Where I’ll probably disagree with you most is KC. Mahomes was something like 21/26, the weather wasn’t just super bad for Josh. He was 9/21 66 yards through 85% of the game. On top of that 1 completion for 15 yards was from the freebie Diggs throw underneath before the half. That freebie pass aside that makes the methodology of the passing game 8/20 for 51 yards. Discounting or not, that’s abysmal efficiency. 

Unless you’re playing in hurricane Katrina or that Indy snow game, there’s no answer for that other than “our QB played really poorly”. Especially when the other dude was 21/26 225 and 2 TDS. 

re KC, you are probably right. But something didn’t seem right with him that game. I don’t think it was anything KC was doing, and it didn’t strike me as the same problems that plagued him in the past. Maybe it was his left shoulder or the rain a little. I can’t put my finger on it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Good teams win in multiple ways. 
Sure it’s fun to have this crazy pass attack that’s awesome all season. Come playoff time you better be able to run the ball.

First 4 weeks were fun. It’s slowed down now. I think it’s huge we had a great run game last week. We are not elite yet. I don’t think buffalo can just turn it on and throw for 350 and 4-5 touchdowns anytime they want. That’s not important though, unless you’re down big which we haven’t been yet. 
KC didn’t look so hot in that Super Bowl until Williams started getting hot, then Mahomes got it going. Many argued Mahomes wasn’t mvp of that game Williams was. 
Either way, you got to be able to mix things up. I would like to see a more deadly pass game but at one point we had to establish were capable of running the dang ball. We have now seen a high level pass attack, a nasty run game last week, it’s time for the defense to step up.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Top QB's have bad games too. Russell Wilson threw 3 INT's in a game this year.

Don’t believe the hype. The only poor game Allen has had in the last four is the Chiefs game and I attribute that mostly to never being able to establish much of a rhythm given the Chiefs TOP dominance. 

Something I noticed about Josh in the KC game that I haven't heard anyone mention, was that he wasn't stepping into his throws, any of them. Even the deeper passes were just flicked out there. I think it was due to traction in the rain, you could tell he was slipping a lot when he ran & tried to cut. I think he was worried about slipping if he planted fully on his front foot.

Our turf is known for being slippery as it is. It looked like he was wearing hard plastic spikes, and I even commented during the game that I bet he'll come out in the 2nd half with rubber spikes, or at least different spikes. He didn't, and I don't think he had any confidence in his footing.

Hopefully no more rain games...

Edited by 947

42 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Don’t believe the hype. The only poor game Allen has had in the last four is the Chiefs game and I attribute that mostly to never being able to establish much of a rhythm given the Chiefs TOP dominance. 

Not entirely.  At the risk of sounding like a shill for the guy, Jim Kubiak had another good analysis.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-bills-josh-allens-bad-misses-protection-errors-are-undoing-vs-chiefs/article_6f3d89d4-1322-11eb-b314-53f1b4824aea.html

-He points out that Allen had 6 makable throws that can really be described as outright misses out of 27 attempts, and that if he'd hit those, he would have had 74% completion and the Bills would have had a much better day offensively.  Most of these were early in the game.

-He also points out passes where his receivers let him down.  Unfortunately as he was playing hurt John Brown responsible for two of those, one for a 1st down and one for a TD.

-Allen also failed to utilize his "hot" receiver (usually Singletary) on a couple of blitzes

-We had a couple of deep throws for a TD that were just a trifle off - a bit late, placement a bit off.

The KC game was a bad game for Allen and he didn't start to find his stride until the 4th Q.  The bad game was not because of bad cleats or bad weather, it was between his ears - not recognizing what the Chiefs were doing offensively and reacting appropriately.  We did have some running game - 23 rushes for 84 yds is 3.65 ypc, that moves the chains.

It would have helped if our D could have gotten the Chiefs off the field a bit more and allowed the offense a few more chances to get their act together, but just as I don't like to accept "the offense got too many 3 and outs so our poor defense was exhausted" (get your own 3 and out and give the ball back to 'em, dude), I don't like to put it on the D either.  Sustain your own drives  and make your own chances.

Hopefully Josh and the offense learned from it.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Honest. 

He does.

Really.

Interestingly looking at the Mahomes stats you see something you don't see with Allen and that's 30+ scoring even when he has a bad stat game. Is that coaching or just QB play? Don't know. 

But you can't compare the scoring with Mahomes even with bad games with Allen except 4 games he crushed it to start the season. 

17 minutes ago, BillsToast said:

Interestingly looking at the Mahomes stats you see something you don't see with Allen and that's 30+ scoring even when he has a bad stat game. Is that coaching or just QB play? Don't know. 

If you look at KC's history it might help you figure it out. 

KC has had the same coach since 2013 - a noted offensive mastermind.  They went to the playoffs 3 of the 4 years before they drafted Mahomes, as well as the year after they drafted him (but let him sit on the bench and learn without 'dodging bullets').  Their record was 11-5, 12-4, and 10-6 the three years before Mahomes started. 

Mahomes has shown he's a generational talent at QB, no doubt.  But he was also handed the keys to a mature, well-designed, high-functioning offense. 

Yeah, coaching has something to do with it. 

Well-developed talent around him has something to do with it as well.  Travis Kelce has been a top TE in the league since 2013.  His worst catch % is 68%, usually above 70%.  He had >1000 yd seasons for two years before Mahomes started.  Tyreek Hill likewise had a 1180 yd, 71.4% catch season the year before Mahomes started.

They're a very good well coached team where we're still figuring out how to run block effectively and sometimes to get QB and WR on the same page with their routes.

Even so, we were a missed field goal away from tieing it up at halftime, and a drive on each side of the ball away from tieing it up.  It's not like they tore us up like the Broncs or the Jets.

• Like (+1) 2

I love absolutely love that my "first round bust" franchise QB is now a disappointment if he isn't routinely throwing for 300 yards and 3 TDs a game.  

Based on expectations like this, how are Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson, and Sam Darnold still starting games?

And yes folks the weather, horrific run game (especially vs Titans), and defenses daring us to run it, have impacted what was insane production to simply pedestrian numbers.

So how can there be a deterioration of a passing game when the adjustments we've made have been to take what's given (vs the Jets) and stick to what was working (the run game) vs NE.

Allen remains on pace for 4300 passing yards, 32 TDs, 10 INTs, 500 rushing yards and 10 rushing TDs.  Currently a 102 passer rating.  

For everything "deteriorating" from the defense to the passing game it's amazing we are 6-2.

Basically, without Allen, we are likely 2-6.  

Franchise.  MVP candidate.  Going to go off Sunday.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not entirely.  At the risk of sounding like a shill for the guy, Jim Kubiak had another good analysis.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-bills-josh-allens-bad-misses-protection-errors-are-undoing-vs-chiefs/article_6f3d89d4-1322-11eb-b314-53f1b4824aea.html

-He points out that Allen had 6 makable throws that can really be described as outright misses out of 27 attempts, and that if he'd hit those, he would have had 74% completion and the Bills would have had a much better day offensively.  Most of these were early in the game.

-He also points out passes where his receivers let him down.  Unfortunately as he was playing hurt John Brown responsible for two of those, one for a 1st down and one for a TD.

-Allen also failed to utilize his "hot" receiver (usually Singletary) on a couple of blitzes

-We had a couple of deep throws for a TD that were just a trifle off - a bit late, placement a bit off.

The KC game was a bad game for Allen and he didn't start to find his stride until the 4th Q.  The bad game was not because of bad cleats or bad weather, it was between his ears - not recognizing what the Chiefs were doing offensively and reacting appropriately.  We did have some running game - 23 rushes for 84 yds is 3.65 ypc, that moves the chains.

It would have helped if our D could have gotten the Chiefs off the field a bit more and allowed the offense a few more chances to get their act together, but just as I don't like to accept "the offense got too many 3 and outs so our poor defense was exhausted" (get your own 3 and out and give the ball back to 'em, dude), I don't like to put it on the D either.  Sustain your own drives  and make your own chances.

Hopefully Josh and the offense learned from it.

Right, so his one bad game of the four was the KC game. 

6 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

In other words every week its either windy or rainy. Time for a dome. We finally have a qb with a big arm which gets neutralized constantly by the Buffalo weather. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

We should not under estimate the impact of an injured John Brown.  Every good passing offense has at least one speed receiver that forces the pass defense to guard against the deep ball.  It was obvious that when Brown was missing or playing when unhealthy, pass defenses could sit on the short routes, put a safety in the box, and attack the line of scrimmage.  It is normal for people to jump to the conclusion that everything falls on the QB and much of it does.  In the four games in question, the receivers were not winning and were not making plays in key situations.  The drops and tipped balls were drive killers.  IMHO the absence of the long ball threat is a major contributing factor to the offensive struggles.

• Like (+1) 2

Listen to the Coaches and they always sound passive wrt the Offense when playing teams like KC & NE.  They need to go out & assert themselves and that meas using your best asset Allen.

To hear the dropping 7 men crap, means beat them underneath, swing passes, screens.....  Sure mix in the run and if it works use it, but don't over do it.  Allen's legs too.

Vs. Seattle the plan should be simple.....  We're going top outscore them by putting 42 up.  

My concern is they will think outscoring them is TOP and that they can win 24-21.

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Listen to the Coaches and they always sound passive wrt the Offense when playing teams like KC & NE.  They need to go out & assert themselves and that meas using your best asset Allen.

To hear the dropping 7 men crap, means beat them underneath, swing passes, screens.....  Sure mix in the run and if it works use it, but don't over do it.  Allen's legs too.

Vs. Seattle the plan should be simple.....  We're going top outscore them by putting 42 up.  

My concern is they will think outscoring them is TOP and that they can win 24-21.

I actually agree with this. There is more play selection that can be done to take advantage of a defense than just "taking what the defense gives you."

They should be dictating. Not letting the defense dictate. If you want them to get out of that look then you need to call plays that beat that look badly. 

Edited by Scott7975
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Shoulder injury and John Brown being too hurt to move the safeties back has hurt more than the weather.  Weather in Green Bay isn’t great either and that team has one good receiver and Rogers is shredding.  Josh needs to battle through this stretch - a QB’s development is rarely linear.

He wasn't so good against Tampa.  

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

In other words every week its either windy or rainy. Time for a dome. We finally have a qb with a big arm which gets neutralized constantly by the Buffalo weather. 

Hes better than most there but yes.  Its for this reason we will Never have a QB that has 70+ completion or leads the league in yards.  Weather is ***** at least 2 or 3 home games every year.   Fortunately josh has an arm that will still allow for us to pass more than in the past and he also can run which gives us an advantage. 

What happened is that defenses figured out the offense that Daboll spent the offseason designing. To be fair, this is also the offense that Allen has been running all offseason as well. We need to see if Daboll and Allen can adjust their game. We haven't seen that yet. And until this happens, our offense will continue to struggle.

I know he's crazy athletic, but the part of Josh Allen's game that has impressed me the most is his ability to learn and adjust. He's coachable. I believe he has the ability to get things right. He just needs time. But how much time can we afford? And is Daboll the right person to teach him? I don't see Daboll as having the same ability to adjust his game.

I guess we'll see.

I didn't find stats separating offensive vs defensive penalties so all I have is totals, but in the first four games that were wins, the Bills averaged 5.75 penalties a game, the last four, 7.25, not a huge sounding difference, but included in those last four were 10 against Tenn and 11 against the Jets. 

What kept the numbers half way decent in the last four games were only 4 penalties against KC, a game in which they came about a tenth of a second from recovering a fumble fairly deep in KC territory, a TD there would have put the Bills ahead late in the game.

In the Jets game nine times they had the ball within the 35 yard line and came away with no TD's  Actually one was called back because of Davis not lining up correctly on the LOS.  Another time 1st and goal, holding penalty and maybe was there another 5 yard penalty afterwards too or they lost that on a bad play call.

The NE game in fairly windy conditions was all about running the ball, they didn't try that much to push the ball down the field, took what the defense gave them.

My point is not so sure the passing game would have lost that much without the team shooting themselves in the foot as much as they have.  On top of that defenses are taking away the deep passing game, forcing them to throw underneath and run which before last week, they weren't able to.  If they can continue to run the ball, will force defenses to change, then lets see how they look.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

So basically a quarter season of tax write-off for Allen and the offense? 

Got it.

But be sure to count those first four good games though right? 

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

So basically a quarter season of tax write-off for Allen and the offense? 

Got it.

But be sure to count those first four good games though right? 

Never said they are a write off.  I'm saying there are reasons for it.  Weather gameplan etc all factor in.