Week 9: Seahawks at Bills

BillsMafi$

3 minutes ago, wjag said:

The scary prospect of this game is Lockett and Metcalf running wild down field on the Bills secondary.  Not sure how the Bills scheme to cover them.  7 DBs?  Maybe, but that exposes the run game.  Double Metcalf and take your chances with singling Lockett?  Curios what you X and Os guys out there think.

Hopefully Hyde is back. Bills will play zone. Bills have the 11th ranked pass D btw. Seattle is dead last. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense/stat/passing

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hopefully Hyde is back. Bills will play zone. Bills have the 11th ranked pass D btw.

Is that a result of the run defense this season, so teams aren't throwing?   I just don't recall many instances where DBs are breaking up passes this season.  

Edited by wjag

Really hoping the emergence of that run game opens back up our PA opportunities that were so prevelant the first month.

And now here's my weekly "We're due for a Defensive td" post.......

Its been since 2017 since the defense has scored for us. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAKE A PLAY!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, wjag said:

Is that a result of the run defense this season, so teams aren't throwing? 

260 attempts, which is 16th most in the league. That’s also without Tre or an injured Tre most of the 1st half of the season and constant shuffle at CB2. Both are healthy now. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If MVP Josh exists still, these next two weeks are the time. 

He played better than people said in the Titans game, the chiefs game was just bad, he played well in a flukey Jets game, and the Pats game he did what he was supposed to. This is the time to go back to unleashing the ball. They don’t rush the passer, and they don’t cover. I’m expecting a big game at home.

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, wjag said:

The scary prospect of this game is Lockett and Metcalf running wild down field on the Bills secondary.  Not sure how the Bills scheme to cover them.  7 DBs?  Maybe, but that exposes the run game.  Double Metcalf and take your chances with singling Lockett?  Curios what you X and Os guys out there think.

On Defense:

I think they'll play their cover 3/cover 4 stuff they usually do where they play over coverage behind the WRs.  Seattle will still take some shots, but this lowers the percentage that those are completed.  The front 4 needs to pressure, and attack their weak offensive line.  

On offense:
Seattle's secondary sucks - so they'll probably blitz a lot on 3rd downs.  Need plans to account for this, or it'll be a long day for Allen.  Even with a good rushing day this past week i think they still likely keep 2 deep safeties on early downs, and keep their LBs near the LOS on 3rd downs.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hopefully Hyde is back. Bills will play zone. Bills have the 11th ranked pass D btw. Seattle is dead last. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense/stat/passing

Wow 32nd I knew they were bad but not that bad.

They went from the Legion of Doom to the Legion of Boom ;) 

Its supposed to be upper 60's maybe 70 Sunday I bet the winds will be high though.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

If MVP Josh exists still, these next two weeks are the time. 

He played better than people said in the Titans game, the chiefs game was just bad, he played well in a flukey Jets game, and the Pats game he did what he was supposed to. This is the time to go back to unleashing the ball. They don’t rush the passer, and they don’t cover. I’m expecting a big game at home.

It's what we need. I'm thinking we'll need to score ~40 to stay in this one imo.

7 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

It's what we need. I'm thinking we'll need to score ~40 to stay in this one imo.

Yep.  This game is either gonna be a shootout or a blowout.

And the Bills ain't winnin' in no blowout.

5 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

BTW anyone see that last TD pass yesterday by the Midget?

The SF defensive lineman was about to get to the Midget and was tackled from behind by the Seahags O lineman...no flag....not surprised.

How can you not like or respect Russell Wilson?  The Midget?  Seriously??

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Good post.

Undaunted, it’s a thing..🤦‍♂️

This. I hope Morse will be ok soon, but he’s threatening his future with numerous concussions. He’s great in Pass pro but not in the run game. Feliciano at Center is great in the run game, only so-so in Pass pro.

Waaaaay to early to forecast the weather 7 days in the future.

You doubt the power of The Weather Channel?  Oh you foolish lad.  May God have mercy on your soul.  Jim Cantore will haunt you for this.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

BTW anyone see that last TD pass yesterday by the Midget?

The SF defensive lineman was about to get to the Midget and was tackled from behind by the Seahags O lineman...no flag....not surprised.

Is there a point to calling him “The Midget” aside from being demeaning?

Seems kind of silly. He’s a phenomenal player and, by all accounts, a world-class human being. How about a little respect?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I will never understand PFF and OL but I hope they are right 

Looked pretty good to the eye test. Not sure if the Pats D-line is that good or not but if you aren't going to maul a bad D-line then who are you going to maul? Honestly I feel confident in the O-line if they can get Ford back and replace Winters with Ike. I don't hate Winters but it is clear that he is a backup caliber player. 

30 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I will never understand PFF and OL but I hope they are right 

And he did it with his eyes closed!

To another post Feliciano is the reason we had more success running, though Boettger is a better run blocker than pass blocker to my eyes.

15 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

No expectations here. 

This week was the most important game. We keep winning in conference and in the division things should be ok. If we lost I’d be more freaked out for Seattle. 

It would be nice to get a victory against a good Seahawks team. 

In fact, losing an NFC game could be really good for us when it comes to tie breakers.  Gotta look at the silver lining.

15 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Seahawks dismantled the forty-niners. The niners dismantled NE. Hmmmmmmmm. 

There is no commutative law of football.  Can't look into that much.  The Dolphins dismantled the niners.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

In fact, losing an NFC game could be really good for us when it comes to tie breakers.  Gotta look at the silver lining.

There is no commutative law of football.  Can't look into that much.  The Dolphins dismantled the niners.

Its that gravitational pull differential again @ Gugny

Edited by Figster

37 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

This game will be a colossal stinker I think. Metcalf will make even the most ardent Beane apologist think twice about that draft. 

Many experts thought Metcalf would be a bust based off his pitiful combine performance. Not just Beane. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

His combine performance was phenomenal, other than the 3 cone drill.

That's what I meant, people thought he was a one-trick pony. 

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

Beane is a wizard though...

Two of his pickups in Zimmer and Matakevich had game-changing plays yesterday but go off

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I know and I hope your are right. I watched a majority of the Seahawks games this year based on their schedule, the fact that they play the AFC East and I think they are are SB contender. I'd love a win but I penciled in a L weeks ago. 

10 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

This game will be a colossal stinker I think. Metcalf will make even the most ardent Beane apologist think twice about that draft. 

There is always a risk that we get blown out against the league's top performing offence. Maybe you could guesstimate/weight that risk at 20% (I would). If so, a blowout is unlikely. Bills are a funny team. They hang in there with a chance to win against both superior and, oddly, inferior competition (they could actually have beaten the Chiefs, a better team). They don't blow out the competition and they don't seem to get blown out themselves (at least not yet).

Seahawks have to be favoured even if playing a road game but with legit big play capability in the passing game (against a weak secondary) and a run game showing signs of life (God bless Mongo) my expectation is the the Bills will be competitive with Seattle and should have a good punchers chance of winning. I also expect McDermot to react and make the best use possible of what he has on D and strategize fully taking into account the abilities of the opposing offence. I don't doubt his proficiency on that side of the ball. 

Ball control (aka a good ground game) can do a lot to limit Russell (maybe the only thing that can) and I hope Daboll tries to control the clock and run Single and Moss for as long as its productive.

Regarding Metcalf, everybody (except maybe the Bears) got it wrong, very wrong, with Seattle being less wrong than the other teams. Dude was a top 5 pick for sure and I'm glad he's panning out as an elite wideout. If you like football it's great to see that type of rare talent develop. Good time for Tre to start earning his money (I don't want to see Wallace or Johnson trying to cover him, that would be both hilarious and painful to watch).

• Like (+1) 1

The line on this game is revealing.  Seattle -2 1/2 seems like a MOTO-- master of the obvious.  Every casual fan will bet the house on Seattle.  This Board proves this fact, many writing how the line is crazy as the Bills will be slaughtered.  But yet the line is -2 1/2 (down from 3), which means someone has been, and apparently will be, betting  a lot on the Bills, and I doubt those people are morons.  Just saying.

Edited by Casey D

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was listening to Sal today and he said the pats were defending the bills like the bills defended the chiefs, they had 7 DBs out there had basically inviting them to run the ball. They took advantage of that and didn’t force the passing game. I don’t know if Seattle will do the same but they might, and I’m pleased with how our RBs are running. They looked like they were running with purpose. 

Seattle won’t put 7 DBs out there if it means Wagner is on the Bench. 

I don't even know what to think about this game.  I mean if the Bills soft D shows up, Russell will pick them apart all day and they will score a minimum of 38 pts.  The Bills O of recent weeks will not come close to matching that.  

I guess the best strategy will be to play deep and let Seattle run.  shorten the game much like the KC game and try to keep it close at the end.

On the other hand it is the NFL and the Bills D does have some pride.  We can only hope.

58 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

The line is Seahags -3! 😂🙄👎🏻

NO CHANCE! Should be 6+. 

Russell May torch the Sunday Beer League D, for 6-7 TDs.

One of the great things about this country is that when you see a line you think is ridiculous, instead of just posting about it on a message board, you can actually use it as an opportunity to enrich yourself at the expense of those myopic oddsmakers...Please report back.

Edited by mannc

Just now, whatdrought said:

And the Int didn't seem to be his fault. 

To me that looked like a classic miscommunication Pick.  WR turned outside, QB thought as turning inside.

That is what happens at times when the QB is throwing with anticipation.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

To me that looked like a classic miscommunication Pick.  WR turned outside, QB thought as turning inside.

That is what happens at times when the QB is throwing with anticipation.

Yep. It's actually a good throw if they're on the same page. My question would be what triggered the miscommunication? My guess is it's a route option dictated by the coverage. Allen saw the coverage do one thing and assumed Diggs would go inside, Diggs didn't see it and went out. No idea though as I'm not an X's and O's guy - it just felt that way. Also could have been just straight up the wrong route. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, whatdrought said:

Yep. It's actually a good throw if they're on the same page. My question would be what triggered the miscommunication? My guess is it's a route option dictated by the coverage. Allen saw the coverage do one thing and assumed Diggs would go inside, Diggs didn't see it and went out. No idea though as I'm not an X's and O's guy - it just felt that way. Also could have been just straight up the wrong route. 

I think it was a CB Leverage thing.  Lined up with Inside leverage if (I remember) But changed to give inside at the top of the stem, and that is where Allen tossed it inside, Diggs ran the route thinking CB keeping inside leverage so turned outside.  Clearly Diggs took responsibility on the sideline during their talk.  Those are the types of picks I am ok with, they happen

• Like (+1) 5