Sign of the End Times - Jerry Sullivan

Signs of the end times:

There will be great earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven and Jerry Sullivan shall complement the Buffalo Bills.

https://www.lockportjournal.com/sports/sullivan-2020-bills-looking-more-and-more-like-super-bowl-forebears/article_da915606-06a8-11eb-b1d8-8fdf2b177889.html

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Have to say was surprised to read in 91 and 93 the defense was ranked 27th!  Seemed like they were dominant on both sides, but guess it's a case of having a couple superstars like Bruce hid things.  Plus that back back everyone was online 24/7 so much less info/stats easily available to fans.

The stat for defensive rank is entirely made up of yards. those teams would give up a lot of yards in garbage time of games we were up by 3 TDs with 12 minutes to go therefore our rank was skewed.

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Signs of the end times:

There will be great earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven and Jerry Sullivan shall complement the Buffalo Bills.

https://www.lockportjournal.com/sports/sullivan-2020-bills-looking-more-and-more-like-super-bowl-forebears/article_da915606-06a8-11eb-b1d8-8fdf2b177889.html

Jerry has always complimented the Bills when they did well. They just didn't do well often during the last twenty years and sensitive Bills fans got their panties in a bunch. Constantly.

When they went 5-1 the year Trent Edwards looked good, Jerry was wildly positive and said that if things continued Jauron deserved consideration as Coach of the Year. He would have been right too, if things continued, which they didn't.

He's always been cranky but fair. And the Bills have been consistently poor to mediocre for a long long time, which led honest and realistic observers to say bad things. Of course he's saying good things. That's not the amazing thing. The amazing thing is that really good things are happening on the field and show every sign of being sustainable.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 3

"Let’s start by taking care of one major piece of business. You might want to brace yourselves, and no, my brain has not been inhabited by sinister creatures from some other planet. 

The Bills are good enough to reach the Super Bowl. 

There, I said it. "  It's nice to see he has a sense of humor about it.  He is well aware he's been Negative Nancy for years in WNY.

• Like (+1) 1

Jerry was very critical of a franchise that for almost two decades didn't make the playoffs, was a symbol of dysfunction, had marv levy and russ brandon as GM, went through the cash to the cap years, extended dick jauron, had people flat out quit instead of being part of a their professional football organization, couldn't find a qb to save their lives, routinely destroyed by NE.... off the top of my head

Now seeing where this organization is and how a top notch football operation should be run, I actually respect JS more

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills were the definition of mediocrity for 20+ years. Not sure why anyone should expect an honest writer to cover the team with rose colored glasses. If you want that should only read the team prepared content. Sully has been here for the entire time the Bills were a laughing stock to most outside of Buffalo. 

Edited by ngbills
  • Like (+1) 2

I never took Sullivan's football columns too seriously. He was just too predictably negative (perhaps "boring" is a better descriptor) -- and he was pretty quick at forgetting his own over-reaches, like calling the Bills out in 2011 before they (unwisely) signed Ryan Fitzpatrick to that huge contract. However, there is one thing that sticks in my craw about Sullivan. Most of you probably remember Buffalo-born heavyweight boxer "Baby" Joe Mesi. Mesi was a local sensation in the early 90s, bringing thousands of fans to HBSC see his fights; he created a great vibe in town. Mesi was undefeated, and actually a pretty good fighter with sound technique and some serious power. Nonetheless, Sullivan rode Mesi relentlessly in his columns: every opponent was a patsy or tomato can; a bunch of nobodies, blah, blah, blah. Mesi ended up with a couple very tough fights later, against Monte Barrett and Vassilly Jirov. Mesi dominated early in both fights and could have cruised to easy decisions. Yet he oddly pressed on in later rounds, taking unnecessary risks to get a knockout. He ended up getting tagged and almost knocked out (although he won both decisions), and suffered a brain bleed after the Jirov fight, which effectively ended his career. Well, it turned out that Barrett and Jirov were no patsies: both later challenged for titles (Barrett even later beat David Tua, a dominant puncher at the time). It always bugged me that Mesi had pressed so needlessly in those two fights, and I always suspected that he -- as a local guy who surely read Sullivan's columns and felt the sting after every (winning!) fight -- was desperate for knockouts to avoid the usual criticism. Of course, I'm not blaming Sullivan, but it would have been nice if he could have seen the Baby Joe phenomenon for what it was -- a good local kid and skilled fighter bringing the community together -- rather than just another opportunity to spew his sourness. 

Edited by Stranded in Boston

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Have to say was surprised to read in 91 and 93 the defense was ranked 27th!  Seemed like they were dominant on both sides, but guess it's a case of having a couple superstars like Bruce hid things.  Plus that back back everyone was online 24/7 so much less info/stats easily available to fans.

The K-gun hurry up offense hurt the defense stats. They were back out on the field quickly and the time of possession was usually slanted against them. Also the DC had a "bend but don't break" philosophy, so the yards could pile up.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Signs of the end times:

3 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Lockport Journal.

lol

Yeah well, at least we in Lockport don't spell compliment c-o-m-p-l-e-m-e-n-t.  We leave such illiteracy to you city slickers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Amazing what you can become when no other outlet wants you.

Jerry, it’s taken you 30 years to dig your grave. Lie in it.

#LockportJournal BWAHAHAHAHAHA!🤣🤣🤣

Never heard of the Lockport Journal before today, but now I recognize it as a fine media outlet. In this day and age, it’s refreshing to read no fake news. :D

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Signs of the end times:

A lil late to the party but it is Jerry after all. There is always room for a curmudgeon or two on the bandwagon.

OP - no offense, but you must be young or new to Buffalo.

Sully has done this many times in the past -- he has enormous contempt for readers, who he expects to have forgotten his cheerleading when he later turns around and says the Bills suck and I told you so...

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Jerry has always complimented the Bills when they did well. They just didn't do well often during the last twenty years and sensitive Bills fans got their panties in a bunch. Constantly.

When they went 5-1 the year Trent Edwards looked good, Jerry was wildly positive and said that if things continued Jauron deserved consideration as Coach of the Year. He would have been right too, if things continued, which they didn't.

He's always been cranky but fair. And the Bills have been consistently poor to mediocre for a long long time, which led honest and realistic observers to say bad things. Of course he's saying good things. That's not the amazing thing. The amazing thing is that really good things are happening on the field and show every sign of being sustainable.

Too many negative people hide behind the guise of being a “realist”, it’s a lazy title for people that don’t want to put the work in. A true realist acknowledges negatives AND positives. 

Something Jerry’s never been able to do consistently. What strikes me is how many of these “experts” seem genuinely shocked this is happing. 

As if this was a 7-9 team that just showed up out of nowhere. 

This team has been on the right road for years now. Anyone paying actual attention should have seen the writing in the wall. A realist would have seen these strides and understood something special was being built while also realizing it takes time with a few bumps in the road.  At least you would expect someone getting paid to do just that would have. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

4 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I’ve always liked  Jerry Sullivan.

He's an excellent writer, universally despised by the type of people who frequent this forum, because he dared tell it like it was.

I don't think this fanbase realizes just how god awful this franchise has been for most of its history.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Blue on Blue said:

Yeah well, at least we in Lockport don't spell compliment c-o-m-p-l-e-m-e-n-t.  We leave such illiteracy to you city slickers.

I never said anything about Lockport .. and yes you are correct that was a misspelling .. congratulations ... you are my hero for the day.

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

He's an excellent writer, universally despised by the type of people who frequent this forum, because he dared tell it like it was.

I don't think this fanbase realizes just how god awful this franchise has been for most of its history.

I've said this before, but the majority of our fanbase cares little about what is deemed quality or accurate reporting. They just want to be told over and over how good the team will be. Anything to the contrary just brings out the vitriol.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, QCity said:

I've said this before, but the majority of our fanbase cares little about what is deemed quality or accurate reporting. They just want to be told over and over how good the team will be. Anything to the contrary just brings out the vitriol.

Numerous examples in this very thread of exactly that!