Mea culpa...I was wrong about Trent Murphy...

eball

I was never on the "cut Murphy" bandwagon. But good lord, Joe B couldn't stop talking about it all summer. He had to delve into the cap stuff and whatever money they'd save. It's not like the dude is on a record breaking deal. 

I've always figured you can never have enough solid DL/pass rushers. And McDermott's defense has always depended on a really strong DL. On top of that, we don't know if Murphy was at or even near 100% healthy in '18 and '19. And yeah, I'm aware that no player is 100% as the season progresses but I say this in regards to the injury he's dealt with for a while now. He's also part of a rotation that McDermott sticks to pretty religiously so these guys aren't playing 75% or more of the snaps. Plus they have their responsibilites on each play. Also, I like Darryl Johnson but without pre-season to evaluate whether he's taken the next step, it's tough to roll the dice on him right now, so it makes perfect sense to keep a veteran who seems to be returning to the player he was before his injury. Maybe even better. 

I've said this before but Beane and McDermott bring in guys for more than just their on-field production. They're obviously very big on culture and finding the right type of players for that culture. They want guys like Murphy in the building because they want their rookies and young guys to observe his practice and preparation habits and emulate those. 

The entire approach to team building and how they operate everything is such a huge contrast to how things were run for the last 20 years. Can't explain how nice it is to finally have competent leadership and how that's permeated through the building to create a team that players genuinely want to join. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well if you want to go there, you should also add those earlier games he was working his way back from a serious injury recovery as well to be fair.  I will take the more recent body of work more removed from that injury over those games he was still working his way into shape and trying to carve out a role for himself.  

My only point is you can't stop at 7 games and 7 sacks to tell the whole story of what Murphy has been.  Hes clearly talented but his issues are staying healthy and contributing for more than short stretches.

I think it goes without saying we all hope he's finally going to be what they saw in him and stay on the field.

• Like (+1) 2

And what will happen if he gets hurt next week or has a bad game? There'll be 30 pages of people saying how injury prone he is or how we should've gotten rid of the guy.

1 game against the Jets is too little to take much from imo. But i'll continue to hope for the best from him regardless of my feelings on him.

11 hours ago, MJS said:

Great job owning up to it. Murphy got a lot of unwarranted hate around here. It's good to see he is playing well.

Disagree on unwarranted. He was suspended for PEDs and, like many who partook, was badly injured for more than a year. ‘Skins’ dumped him. We had to pay through the nose for a very ‘unlike McBeane’ FA and it took 2 full years before we saw anything truly worthwhile. Yes, 7 in 7 is a nice rebound, but would he even be starting if we re-signed Shaq?

49 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Disagree on unwarranted. He was suspended for PEDs and, like many who partook, was badly injured for more than a year. ‘Skins’ dumped him. We had to pay through the nose for a very ‘unlike McBeane’ FA and it took 2 full years before we saw anything truly worthwhile. Yes, 7 in 7 is a nice rebound, but would he even be starting if we re-signed Shaq?

maybe we didn't resign Shaq because we had Murphy....  and with that knee surgery it takes at least a full year before a player starts to come back from it...   the same thing is going to happen to Harrison Phillips look for him to really rebound next year

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, eball said:

It's early, I know, but judging by what Beane, McD, and his teammates said about him before last Sunday, and then watching his performance against the Jests, it is clear that I completely missed the boat on wanting him out of Buffalo.  I don't think players read this site but if they do, then Mr. Murphy, you have my sincere apology.

This Bills' DL is fierce, and Murphy is a significant part of that.

Still, he played fewer snaps than Mario Addison. Interesting.

16 hours ago, eball said:

It's early, I know, but judging by what Beane, McD, and his teammates said about him before last Sunday, and then watching his performance against the Jests, it is clear that I completely missed the boat on wanting him out of Buffalo.  I don't think players read this site but if they do, then Mr. Murphy, you have my sincere apology.

I have been re-watching all of last years games and Murphy was constantly in on the action.  It made me wonder why there was such a din from fans to get rid of him.

16 hours ago, eball said:

I  will wait and see until the Bills play higher level of competition,  the Jets offensive line is not great.  So you really cannot make any evaluations until 6-7 games . Yes i still would have liked the Bills to use his money on signing big name free agent DE.   My reason is when you play the elite teams with great QB's like KC ,  while sacks are always best you Dline needs to get quick pressure forcing QB's into making quick decision.  Can he provide consistant pressure againt good teeams who have very good Olines?

We shall see,  not about what i want,  it is about the team and if he can provide both sacks and consistant pressure than i am more than happy to eat crow.    Too early to say it was good move keeping him around.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

one game?

Murphy has been performing very well for way more than one game, and it is very likely you know that. You seem to like taking a sliver of the big picture and make it the basis of your argument. 

Go Bills!!!

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Murphy has been performing very well for way more than one game, and it is very likely you know that. You seem to like taking a sliver of the big picture and make it the basis of your argument. 

Go Bills!!!

you’ve missed the point of a two word response. 

the OP (not me) clearly thought that, after last year’s performance, Murphy should be “out of Buffalo”.   My response was questioning how he went from point of view after a whole season of games, to the opposite point of view after “one game”.

Hope this helps...  

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

you’ve missed the point of a two word response. 

the OP (not me) clearly thought that, after last year’s performance, Murphy should be “out of Buffalo”.   My response was questioning how he went from point of view after a whole season of games, to the opposite point of view after “one game”.

Hope this helps...  

I mean, to anyone watching the games it was evident he was doing well at the tail end of last season too. 

He played excellent in the playoff game. So I do agree that if op did only come to this conclusion from this game alone it’s a little suspect. But if you also factored last seasons games (especially at the end of the year) there are more games to go off of. 

I know it seems to be the new cool thing to say, but the “lets get rid of Murphy and bring in x, y, and z.” Was a tad shortsighted as the games he played anywhere near 100% he was playing at a high level. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

Not quite there yet, but think that Trent, when healthy, can be a very good addition to our DL rotation.

As I believe he is a UFA next year, he should be very motivated to elevate his play this season so that he can make some coin on the open market.

I don't see the Bills breaking the bank next year, but another year gives our developing DL prospects more time to grow.

A calculated value move by McBean to balance veteran skill and team continuity vs letting Murphy go.

5 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I mean, to anyone watching the games it was evident he was doing well at the tail end of last season too. 

He played excellent in the playoff game. So I do agree that if op did only come to this conclusion from this game alone it’s a little suspect. But if you also factored last seasons games (especially at the end of the year) there are more games to go off of. 

I know it seems to be the new cool thing to say, but the “lets get rid of Murphy and bring in x, y, and z.” Was a tad shortsighted as the games he played anywhere near 100% he was playing at a high level. 

Take that up with the OP.

On 9/16/2020 at 3:16 PM, eball said:

It's early, I know, but judging by what Beane, McD, and his teammates said about him before last Sunday, and watching his performance against the Jests, it is clear that I completely missed the boat on wanting him out of Buffalo. I don't think players read this site but if they do, then Mr. Murphy, you have my sincere apology.

5 hours ago, eball said:

No, not one game -- did you read the post?

Sure did.

Before this game you were not compelled to post this (despite something about what his teammates had said).  Reading this post, one should conclude that before this one game you were of the mind the you wanted him out of Buffalo, and after this game you changed you opinion completely (which is fine of course).

On 9/16/2020 at 4:07 PM, Sherlock Holmes said:

Crow-plate.jpg

I'm one of the only ones that said to stop making him a Kelsay type whipping boy!! I'll be serving you all up some nice plates of crow throughout the season:wub:

edpttjdrod8tbndo4qli.jpg

"Damn straight, Sherlock."

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

I liked Murphy coming out of college.  Never wanted to cut him here.  He's an above average DE.  He's no Chris Kelsay, who totally sucked.

I think the issue with Chris kelsay wasn't that he was bad.  It's just that buffalo couldn't like... find a way to get the guy to like 3rd in the rotation - where he should have been.  Schoebel was a good pass rusher, and kelsay probably would've been fine as an early down rotation/depth guy.  Instead they just kept extending him and assuming he would improve from the player that he was. 

A horrible symptom of the drought was the spinning the wheels around certain players.  It's almost like they were trying to be wrong.  

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

I mentioned a few times on this board over the offseason that Murphy was a beast down the stretch last year (I told folks to rewatch the Dallas game, the Pittsburgh game, and the Houston playoff game...he had pressures, sacks, turnovers...and was always good against the run). I was surprised that people were overlooking how well he played last year. Everyone was so disappointed with his first season, and the amount that he was paid for it, that I think that sentiment just kept going even when he did start to play well.  

His injury from when he was with Washington was so catastrophic that even though he was able to play (sparingly) for us in his first year as a Bill, his body obviously wasn't healed yet. He was only 13-17 months removed from a major injury during that season (he tore both his ACL and MCL in that knee). At the start of last season, he was two years removed from his injury and about 1/3 of the way into the season, he finally looked like his old self. So, I think the injury just took two years to fully heal...not surprising with how bad it was.

On 9/17/2020 at 9:15 AM, Uncle Joe said:

Apparently Trent and Jerry have become good friends.
https://sports.yahoo.com/trent-murphy-shows-worth-bills-235743117.html

Loved this quote from Beane in that article. One that we fans should keep in mind:

"It’s not all stats versus salary with us.”

Full quote for context (regarding Trent Murphy):

“His leadership is very important to what he brings, and there’s value in that,” Beane said. “A lot of times people get caught up in this number or the stats, but Trent does a lot of the little things and a lot of the dirty work, too. It’s not all stats versus salary with us.”

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/17/2020 at 6:41 AM, Joe in Winslow said:

Which still is pretty damned solid.

Not really because there's a 14 game stretch with 3 sacks and 15 if you include the game lost to injury.  Again, playing healthy seems to be the problem with Trent and I hope he's finally there.