Ngakoue traded to Vikings

scribo

I’m glad the Bills didn’t go after him. 
Similar to quarterback I think you draft defensive ends non stop until 1-2 rookies hit. 
Given our team structure we’re not going to pay big time defensive end money. Murphy and Hughes have decent money but once that’s gone those millions go to another position we re sign. We’re not paying any ends 15+ million for awhile. I still think Yannick is mostly a hype machine. One really good season on a top defense and mediocre the rest of the time. I like his fit in Minnesota but I’m glad he’s not in buffalo. 

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Now that’s a good one, especially since Mcgahee so lived up to the expectations at the position, this started the run of RB acquisitions that were so needed, gotta like a GM with that level of a thought process... this could go in all day ?

okay, it’s your turn again, ??

Go Bills!!!

Beane is so awful I’m sure he would have drafted Tony Eason over Kelly

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Agreed.
The question is: Do we trust McBeane’s drafting acumen in the future?

I do. It’s the second through fourth round steals that will make or break this teams future and I’m feeling really good about that future.

those steals at RB are a lot easier than premiere pass rusher. He might have snagged one this year. Maybe. But I’d be surprised to see many teams with solid bookends that didn’t invest a premium pick or large free agent contract. 

Definitely not impossible but we will see 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brennan Huff said:

Beane is so awful I’m sure he would have drafted Tony Eason over Kelly

?, okay, okay, I give up, I can’t top that, ?

Go Bills!!!

3 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

It's good for the Bills that he's gone to an NFC team.

Always unlikely that he would come to the Bills with the cap freeze.

It's unlikely that the vikes are better with Ngakoue if they lost Griffen, Diggs and their NT. New CBs too.

Their new corners are way better than than old corners, but the rest is on point. I don’t think ngakoue is much better than Griffen 

17 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m glad the Bills didn’t go after him. 
Similar to quarterback I think you draft defensive ends non stop until 1-2 rookies hit. 
Given our team structure we’re not going to pay big time defensive end money. Murphy and Hughes have decent money but once that’s gone those millions go to another position we re sign. We’re not paying any ends 15+ million for awhile. I still think Yannick is mostly a hype machine. One really good season on a top defense and mediocre the rest of the time. I like his fit in Minnesota but I’m glad he’s not in buffalo. 

From what I’ve heard from CFB guys, this is supposed to be a great draft year for DL.  

I’m with you, I think we’re pretty strong on the DL this year, and next, but this offseason begins the draft process of adding more young, rookie contract talent, to Epenesa and Oliver. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. They could have found a way to keep Diggs... but they want to run the ball a lot on offense they felt losing one of their two top end receivers was worth it to maintain and upgrade the defense. 

They are gonna run a lot. The Kubiak stretch zone scheme..... Cook is gonna get fed a LOT

And Mattison.  He’s going to get more run this year imo.  Once he shows he’s just as productive, they don’t have to pay cook.  I wouldn’t pay that guy over 10 mill a year. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Yeah truth be told I have a total man crush on Brandon Beane. I would have liked to have acquired Ngakoue but I trust the process 

Understand ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ALF said:
The Vikings and DE Yannick Ngakoue worked overnight on an adjustment to his franchise tender, landing at a little under $13 million. That's down from $17.778 million. And Minnesota made clear its intention to do a long-term deal in '21. So ... Ngakoue REALLY wanted out of Jax.

This confuses me.  Does anyone have an example of something like this happening in the past?

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

The article I read on ESPN said that the Vikes will be re-structuring the deal to create cap space this season. Not sure how that works under the franchise tender, but.... https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29771509/jaguars-agree-trade-de-yannick-ngakoue-vikings

that cannot  be true. i thought the new rules made the franchise tender unrestructurable after july 2015 no?

thta is why i think they will cut / restructure somebody else - and my guesses were Harrison Smith and / or Riley Reiff

1 hour ago, ALF said:
The Vikings and DE Yannick Ngakoue worked overnight on an adjustment to his franchise tender, landing at a little under $13 million. That's down from $17.778 million. And Minnesota made clear its intention to do a long-term deal in '21. So ... Ngakoue REALLY wanted out of Jax.

i guess maybe they allowed the player to take less than the tender amount and Ngakoue was willing to eat 4.8 mill just to get out. just a 2nd and 5th and a 5 mill pay cut - Beane whatcha doing man? ?

5 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I think we missed an opportunity here.. Would have been nice to have him opposite of Epenesa for the next 5-6 years... A 2nd and a 5th ain’t much for a perennial 10 sack a year DE... but Beane knows more than I.... I trust the process.. DE will probably be a high priority position for us in next year’s draft...

We dodged a massive cap problem. 

His contract will be huge. 

5 hours ago, NoSaint said:

right. By adding talent at a more premium position. And likely acquiring a high comp pick as Milano would count and YN doesn’t. 

it wouldn’t have been crazy. And Milano has a good chance of being gone regardless. 

Very very unlikely we'd get a comp pick for Milano. We'd need more departures and arrivals to even get any picks and that doesn't seem realistic. 

37 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

We dodged a massive cap problem. 

His contract will be huge. 

Very very unlikely we'd get a comp pick for Milano. We'd need more departures and arrivals to even get any picks and that doesn't seem realistic. 

next year you think we will be signing more UFAs than guys walking? Especially with DE settled?

5 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Yeah truth be told I have a total man crush on Brandon Beane. I would have liked to have acquired Ngakoue but I trust the process 

if we got him before Addison and Jefferson , i was kinda hot for Bills to pick him up. and now i feel Bills are all set for this year
patient approach still for McBeanes/Frazier at improving at DE /Edge
Methinks Bills want to find one  or  two DE's in the draft sooner than later.  As Hughes and Murphy are winding down soon enough. No offense Jerry : )

3 hours ago, rayray808 said:

I wonder if the Vikings will have to cut anyone or trade away someone that could help us? 

Is that you Beanes ??  lol

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, eball said:

Always happy to see a good AFC player leave for an NFC team (that we don’t play).

Cousins is the limiting factor on that team.

Digg this :flirt:

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Because they wanted to keep Anthony Harris and Harrison Smith together. They essentially had a choice... split that pair up and keep Thielen and Diggs or let Harris walk and keep their receivers. They will be hoping that Justin Jefferson can step right in but listening to Matthew Coller on WGR last week he said Jefferson has only really produced in the slot to this point in camp. I am a sceptic that Jefferson is ever really going to be a top level outside guy.... but he can be an excellent slot receiver. 

This may be true. I'd think they'd want to keep a stud WR like Diggs. Cousins needs all the help he can get. 

Pick your poison I guess. 

9 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I think we missed an opportunity here.. Would have been nice to have him opposite of Epenesa for the next 5-6 years... A 2nd and a 5th ain’t much for a perennial 10 sack a year DE... but Beane knows more than I.... I trust the process.. DE will probably be a high priority position for us in next year’s draft...

Just no way he was an option for us

- The salary cap thing is up in the air.....with players to sign still

- Our DL is already very very good

As it is we might lose milano because we need to resign Edmunds......I think LB is a def possibility with our 1st round pick next year.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Just no way he was an option for us

- The salary cap thing is up in the air.....with players to sign still

- Our DL is already very very good

As it is we might lose milano because we need to resign Edmunds......I think LB is a def possibility with our 1st round pick next year.

I understand why you feel that way and it makes sense... both Hughes and Addison can get us 10 sacks a piece, I get it... just thought Yannick and Epenesa would be a potentially elite pass rush for years to come.. but I get why you feel that way....and more importantly Beane agrees with you too, so I’ll shut up now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I understand why you feel that way and it makes sense... both Hughes and Addison can get us 10 sacks a piece, I get it... just thought Yannick and Epenesa would be a potentially elite pass rush for years to come.. but I get why you feel that way....and more importantly Beane agrees with you too, so I’ll shut up now.

No its a good conversation

I think it lends into Beanes way of biulding his teams.......except for our own drafted players has Beane given anybody a huge contract?  

What sucks for Beane is he goes through all the trouble of fixing our cap and roster and then covid hits......negating much of that work if the salary cap goes down

• Like (+1) 3

Great trade for two reasons:

1) Ngakoue goes to the NFC (and I don't think we're due to play the NFC North until 2022, but at least not this year).

2) The Jaguars are even better positioned to get Trevor Lawrence (instead of the Jets). Given their front office/ownership/lack of talent on that roster, they likely won't be a contender even with Lawrence for a few years. 

• Like (+1) 1

Well said Billieving.  We win on both points, annnd we didn’t have the $ smartly to add him with all of these additions.  We’ll draft cheap labor the next two years.  Would it surprise you if we picked a DE with a 1st in 2021 or 2022?  Then we have by then Epenesa, and a fresh legs top tier guy, replacing the aging but still good DE’s.

With the DT’s we have young guys in Oliver, and  H. Phillips. As always with Mr. Miyagi, Beane, we have made sound decisions for today and tomorrow.

1 hour ago, inaugural balls said:

This may be true. I'd think they'd want to keep a stud WR like Diggs. Cousins needs all the help he can get. 

Pick your poison I guess. 

Zim is a defense guy and they actually did not lose to San Fran because of their offense. They lost cos they got ran over on defense. I think they believe Thielen, Jefferson, Cook and the two Tight Ends they have enough weapons.... they need to be better at stopping teams. 

I think Minn will win the NFC North and be a playoff team again. But I kinda feel this is the last year of their window. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

No its a good conversation

I think it lends into Beanes way of biulding his teams.......except for our own drafted players has Beane given anybody a huge contract?  

What sucks for Beane is he goes through all the trouble of fixing our cap and roster and then covid hits......negating much of that work if the salary cap goes down

Beane has given a big contract to exactly one of our drafted players. And it wasn’t even a player he drafted.

The salary cap thing goes for every team in the league. The Viking DL was already good and just got better today.

Edited by FireChans

11 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Missed an opportunity?  I don’t remember ever hearing that the Bills were in on Yannick....well other than posts in this forum.  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Zim is a defense guy and they actually did not lose to San Fran because of their offense. They lost cos they got ran over on defense. I think they believe Thielen, Jefferson, Cook and the two Tight Ends they have enough weapons.... they need to be better at stopping teams. 

I think Minn will win the NFC North and be a playoff team again. But I kinda feel this is the last year of their window. 

Surely makes sense from MZ standpoint. Faced with the same decision, I suppose McDermott makes the same decision.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, FireChans said:

Beane has given a big contract to exactly one of our drafted players. And it wasn’t even a player he drafted.

The salary cap thing goes for every team in the league. The Viking DL was already good and just got better today.

This makes no sense. Beane hasn’t been here long enough for players he drafted to even be eligible for new or extended contracts.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Well this is all very disappointing.

A 2nd and cond 5th, and $12M... Woulda done that in a heartbeat.

Glad he's out of the AFC at least.

Do you think the Jags would have traded him to the Bills?  I don't, just like I know the Texans wouldn't have trade Hopkins to the Bills for what the Cards gave up.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Do you think the Jags would have traded him to the Bills?  I don't, just like I know the Texans wouldn't have trade Hopkins to the Bills for what the Cards gave up.

No, I dont. Which is why I'm not banging the "Beane's asleep at the wheel" drum on this one. :thumbsup:

I dont think either team makes those trades with the Bills even if we offered much more than the Cards and Vikes.

Although I wonder if my personal "highest offer" of two 2nds for Ngakoue would have enticed the Jags at all.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/30/2020 at 4:29 AM, scribo said:

Trading for Ngakoue would have cost the Bills the ability to re-sign at least one of our best players, at the very least Milano.

This is goofy logic. First the team has plenty of cap room - we have very few elite players a ton on short term deals expiring in the next year or tow. Second, you sign your best players. If you sign a better player, then one of your previous best players that is not a best player anymore if not worth signing. Unless, you are saying Beane does not know what he is doing so only sign the current players because I dont trust his judgement that someone else is better. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2021/cap-hit/

Bills have not a single one of the top 100 salaries next year. Many teams have 5+. But the Bills cant afford to sign guys?

• Like (+1) 1

With how wonky next year's draft and cap could be it is probably not the worst move to trade a pick for a proven player esp if one is willing to take a discount. Overall the Jags got the best value they could for a player that was never going to play for them. The Jags got a second and a pick slated between rounds 5-3 not the worst for a team that needs a lot of picks. They now have two firsts and two second round picks in next year's draft along with an extra pick slotted in rounds 3-5 depending on where that additional pick is slotted. 

Lemme work through some math here in real time and see how it turns out.

Current 2020 DE spend:

Jerry Hughes - $9.5M

Mario Addison - $10M

Trent Murphy - $9.775M

AJ Epenesa - $1.4M

Total Spend: just under $30.675M

I know we have some other DEs on the roster, but I'm not counting them in this discussion as they are inconsequential.

Throwing Ngakuoe into the mix...

Proposed 2020 DE spend:

Jerry Hughes - $9.5M

Mario Addison - $10

CUT Trent Murphy - $1.75M dead money

AJ Epenesa - $1.4M

Ngakoue - $12M

Total Spend: $34.65M

So we could've swapped in Ngakoue for Murphy for just an additional $4M spend this year.

Looking at next year..

Proposed 2021 DE spend:

CUT Jerry Hughes - $2M dead money

Mario Addison - $10.2M

AJ Epenesa - $1.4M

Ngakoue - $20M

Total Spend: $33.6M (+ rookie or FA)

Now I know you need to add another DE into the mix for 2021. We can either draft another one early (which I am all for), and their cap hit would be about $1.5M, or find a mid-tier vet FA to sign at around $7-10M.

Even going the more expensive route and signing a FA next year, we can still keep the total spend to about $40M. Not even $10M more than we are spending today.

If we go with a rookie, that puts our spend at about $35M.

We save another $2M the following year when Hughes's money comes off the books.

So we've refreshed our DE squad from a bunch of again vets to young players and a potential star in his prime. And we've kept the total spend just about the same, so it does not preclude us from re-signing our other players like Edmunds, Allen, Oliver.