Housch$$ released

15 minutes ago, Billl said:

Yeah, all he did is go 4-4 in the playoff game including hitting a 47 yarder at the buzzer.  47 yard FGs under pressure are notoriously difficult.

Way TOO SOON.

• Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, johnnywo said:

Way TOO SOON.

Everyone saying this is really missing the point.  Yes, Hauschka made clutch FGs against Houston, but he was also the reason they couldn't try a 54-yarder earlier in the 4th quarter.  The Bills used a 6th round draft pick on Bass!  That's not a throwaway pick.  The writing was on the wall, and the only way Hauschka was going to keep this job is if he was lights out and the kid looked out of place.  Neither happened.  Bass was every bit as good as Hauschka in camp, was better in the stadium conditions, and has a huge leg.  Add the cap savings and this one, in hindsight, was relatively easy to predict.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have no idea the new guys range, but he must of impressed.

Consider we had the ball 1st and 10 at Houston’s 43 yard line. That’s a 60 yard FG. I’m not saying it was going to be an easy make, but after the Allen 1 yard run, would a team who has a kicker capable of making it from 59 yards not try 2 more runs. So instead of the Cole Beasley attempted pass on 2nd down figure we get another 1-2 yards. Assuming another run on 3rd down gains a yard then we are looking at a max 57 yard field goal to win our first playoff game in 25 years. Clearly McD did not think that was the best course of action - proving House $ was doubted from that range. I want a clutch kicker who consistently gets touchbacks & can consistently hit from 55-60 yards. 

Just now, Dr.Sack said:

I have no idea the new guys range, but he must of impressed.

Consider we had the ball 1st and 10 at Houston’s 43 yard line. That’s a 60 yard FG. I’m not saying it was going to be an easy make, but after the Allen 1 yard run, would a team who has a kicker capable of making it from 59 yards not try 2 more runs. So instead of the Cole Beasley attempted pass on 2nd down figure we get another 1-2 yards. Assuming another run on 3rd down gains a yard then we are looking at a max 57 yard field goal to win our first playoff game in 25 years. Clearly McD did not think that was the best course of action - proving House $ was doubted from that range. I want a clutch kicker who consistently gets touchbacks & can consistently hit from 55-60 yards. 

What about a kicker who always hits under 50? Three misses under 50 in camp for the Bass. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I have a bad feeling they will end up rooing this day.

You're a battered and broken Mets fan. The support group meets in room 104-A in 15 minutes, 3rd door on your right. Bring cookies, don't be late.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

I feel bad for Hauschka because he was never really the same after getting cheap-shotted, but it was time to move on.

Yeah I don't know if it messed something up physiologically in his body but his leg strength/leg speed really went down badly after that hit...the first 50 yd FG I saw him try after that was pathetic and ended up well short and I immediately knew something was really off somewhere. He used to make those with ease...I mean he holds the all time NFL record(which he set here) for most consecutive 50 yd FG's made.

Edited by matter2003

56 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

No leg any more.  Great kicker while he was here though. 

Thank god I never have to hear Murphy say "Hausch money" again  

Now we can hear "Trophy Bass" over and over.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, eball said:

Everyone saying this is really missing the point.  Yes, Hauschka made clutch FGs against Houston, but he was also the reason they couldn't try a 54-yarder earlier in the 4th quarter.  The Bills used a 6th round draft pick on Bass!  That's not a throwaway pick.  The writing was on the wall, and the only way Hauschka was going to keep this job is if he was lights out and the kid looked out of place.  Neither happened.  Bass was every bit as good as Hauschka in camp, was better in the stadium conditions, and has a huge leg.  Add the cap savings and this one, in hindsight, was relatively easy to predict.

I'm referring to the "other" 47 yarder missed in Bills history..... still WAAAAAAAYYYYY TTOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOOOONNN

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Thanks Hausch!! At least you didn't let us down in the playoffs.

Good luck

4 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Dude was clutch. Fading....but clutch. 

Bass will have an easier adjustment with no crowd noise. 

That is a very good point and most likely factored in the final decision.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills deciding to go with the younger guy...add in cap savings as well as he be  doing well in camp so far this move to me is no shock. Giving Hauschka enough time to catch on elsewhere is a classy move as has been stated.

Its officially time to Kick BASS Mr Bass welcome to the full time roster.  "The Golden Swing" may it be so.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not to me it wasn't. If Bass misses kicks under 50 expect me to be back saying I told you so. 

yeah, but what do you know??

Way to hedge your bets. You are hereby not allowed to root for Bass..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Bass needs to work on becoming a little more consistent, but the Bills had to go with him because of his big leg.  A few decades ago, Buffalo drafted a promising place kicker.  He had a terrible training camp and the Bills got rid of him.  Gary Anderson went on to have a Hall of Fame career.  I'm glad the Bills took a chance on the kid.

• Thank you (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Billy Bass ? wonder if there is any relation?

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not to me it wasn't. If Bass misses kicks under 50 expect me to be back saying I told you so. 

Didn't Hauschka miss a PAT today? Pretty sure that's under 50.