Housch$$ released

Just now, Virgil said:

This is going to cost us a win 

Nah dude. Hasch wasn't the same the past two seasons. He was $ for us in the playoff game, but the made % was down significantly overall. And he can't be trusted from deep. 

This is a difficult one, but likely the right decision.  Below is a summary of my thoughts and also a summary of what I have seen in this thread:

1.  Hausch was a great member of the Bills in his 3 years with the team, on and off the field.

2.  His play tailed off last season, particularly from long range, although he was clutch in the playoff game

3.  He made a lot of money on his Bills contracts, and earned/deserved it, by modern NFL standards

4.  Bass is far less expensive, saves the team cap money this year and next

5.  Bass has the stronger leg, at this point in their careers (and perhaps stronger that Hausch's ever was)

6.  This could come back to haunt the Bills, but risk yields reward.  May cost the Bills some games, but also win them some others.

7.  Releasing him now gives Hausch a better chance of hooking on with another team for the season

Best of luck to Hausch and his family.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

No leg any more.  Great kicker while he was here though. 

Thank god I never have to hear Murphy say "Hausch money" again  

He had a great, long career.

Earned something in the $20 million area.

Everyone gets old.

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

This is going to cost us a win 

It could really go either way.  Kickers can boom PATs and 65 yard field goals in practice, and then get the yips in a game time situation.  Hauschka had is fair share of mental issues down the stretch so it's no given that he's any better, especially when you consider leg strength.

Bass will get his chance and we'll see how it goes.  It could end horribly and he could end up getting cut in week 4, or he could be a breakout.  With kickers, you never know.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

its interesting how that occurs.  One day a guy is drilling 55 yards with room to spare, next thing they barely hit XPs...

It has absolutely nothing to do with cheap shot on him, right?

Wish the NFL was better at protecting players from these type of players.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Bass was every bit as good as Hauschka in camp, was better in the stadium conditions, and has a huge leg. 

According to reports he was not as good on shorter kicks but they are betting that he will get better.

I'd be happier if the Bills had an assistant coach who was a former kicker.

I hope they win their bet.

All the extra points he missed in practice.  Apparently the Bills intend to score more TD's this year and settle for fewer field goals.  I think the cap savings likely played an additional role in the decision.  Best of luck to Haush and his family.  It's now the rookie's job to kick those extra points and long field goals when needed.

A bit surprised about Edwards.  I thought the reports on him in camp were good.