Scared how the season plays out

Covid stinks.  We agree I'm sure.  Not being able to go to the stadium stinks...The fact that August hasn't been a month long Christmas Eve for me this year, as it's always been, stinks....But man, I fear and would hate nothing more that the season having the rug pulled out from under it if they have to shut it down.  It's truly a dark cloud over one of my favorite things in life.  A small part of me wishes they'd just call it and say "see ya next year when (if) it's all normal again".  ...with that said of course I want and eagerly look forward to the season...I just can't shake that awful thought of the Bills being like 6-1 and having the season not conclude.  Ugh.... Fingers crossed we get a full one in.. finger friggen crossed.  Go Bills.

Edited by Bills fan since 87
  • Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Covid stinks.  We agree I'm sure.  Not being able to go to the stadium stinks...The fact that August hasn't been a month long Christmas Eve for me this year, as it's always been, stinks....But man, I fear and would hate nothing more that the season having the rug pulled out from under it if they have to shut it down.  It's truly a dark cloud over one of my favorite things in life.  A small part of me wishes they'd just call it and say "see ya next year when (if) it's all normal again".  ...with that said of course I want and eagerly look forward to the season...I just can't shake that awful thought of the Bills being like 6-1 and having the season not conclude.  Ugh.... Fingers crossed we get a full one in.. finger friggen crossed.  Go Bills.

honestly...I thought the same thing this morning.  In my thoughts they got up to 8-2, tied for first in the afc/entire nfl and then...it’s over.

10 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

honestly...I thought the same thing this morning.  In my thoughts they got up to 8-2, tied for first in the afc/entire nfl and then...it’s over.

Just a horrible thing to have to hang over our heads.  I'm a huge Bills fan (obviously) and an NFL fan...I'm also a huge Syracuse basketball and NCAA hoops fan...Having that season end right at the best time of year in March was awful.  Now I might have to deal with it all again with our beloved Bills....Oh, and there may be no college hoops again.  Covid can $@#! Off.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The saliva test was a big breakthrough.  I’m sure we’ll have others over the next few months.  

Also, KC is allowing fans, so there’s that.  

Cinci announced today no fans for the 1st 2 weeks, then see how things are. I suspect we’ll be allowed fans at games soon, if not from the jump. If so, PLEASE everyone, mask up, follow the distance directions and don’t be a-holes. You’re representing all of us the world over.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was in the camp that at times I didn't even think there was going to be a season or that it would surely be shutdown midway through but my opinion's actually changed on that.  I think we will get through the season now.  I'm not as optimistic about full capacity crowds coming back this season though.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Cinci announced today no fans for the 1st 2 weeks, then see how things are. I suspect we’ll be allowed fans at games soon, if not from the jump. If so, PLEASE everyone, mask up, follow the distance directions and don’t be a-holes. You’re representing all of us the world over.

Sadly there are going to be "those people" to whom they don't give a crap....THEY will be the ones to eff it all up for the rest of us and then act like it wasn't my fault.....this is why we can't have nice things.

• Like (+1) 2

Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.

---- Marcus Aurelius

Of course, if you are without reason now, then yeah, the future should disturb the *@$% out of you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Both of my FF leagues are cancelled ?

That’s b.s.  I’m running mine but making some changes, namely:

• Limiting it to 10 teams (so there’s a larger player pool)
  • Points only league (rather than head to head) so if the season ends early you can still have a winner
  • Expanding rosters and adding an IR spot or two for anyone who gets the virus

I see no reason to “expect” the league to shut down and think they’re only getting smarter about how to manage it.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, eball said:

That’s b.s.  I’m running mine but making some changes, namely:

• Limiting it to 10 teams (so there’s a larger player pool)
  • Points only league (rather than head to head) so if the season ends early you can still have a winner
  • Expanding rosters and adding an IR spot or two for anyone who gets the virus

I see no reason to “expect” the league to shut down and think they’re only getting smarter about how to manage it.

100% right here. I have no clue how people can see how things have been running so far and STILL be “doom and gloom” 

The league I run is 100% still on. Only changes is IR slot, extra roster slot, and I’m not bothering with dues until it looks like we are having a full season. Same group of guys for almost a decade now. They can all be trusted. 

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

I was in the camp that at times I didn't even think there was going to be a season or that it would surely be shutdown midway through but my opinion's actually changed on that.  I think we will get through the season now.  I'm not as optimistic about full capacity crowds coming back this season though.

I agree. Some areas may be capable of safely holding games with crowds if everyone does their part. It is the travel from area to area that is the bigger concern. Players and fans travelling to and from highly infected areas causing reinfecting zones that are under control.

This maybe the big issue the NFL has to decide on.

9 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Initially I was concerned that the NFL would start too soon and be canceled mid season.  Now I honestly don’t think that waiting would help.  Things aren’t getting better except for the possibility of scientific advancements like the saliva tests and a vaccine.  So the NFL is just rolling on as best it can.  I get it.  There’s way too much money at stake to not give it a go so that’s what they’re doing.  I’m just sitting back and watching it all unfold now. 

The NHL is giving me hope that the NFL can complete their season, even if they have to transition to some type of bubble (like the NHL) at some point.

Im feeling pretty good about how the Bills are handling covid so far. McDermott and Beane are very detailed and both seem to be taking this very serious. I don’t know that that’s the case with every NFL team (I doubt it is, with some of the coaches and GMs employed around the NFL...lol). I feel like we could have an advantage this season.

Im just trying hard not to think about the “what if’s” and enjoy the bits of info we get about training camp. 

• Like (+1) 1

Football is the greatest sport ever invented but the nfl is the least forward thinking league run by a moron commissioner.  If this was Adam Silver and then nba (hell even dumb Bettman and hockey has done a great job),  I’d feel really confident on the season getting done.

but with the size of nfl rosters and coaching staff and the game of football, I struggle to see how this season goes through uninterrupted.  Really hope I’m wrong though.  I can’t imagine a fall/ winter without the Bills. ?

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Initially I was concerned that the NFL would start too soon and be canceled mid season.  Now I honestly don’t think that waiting would help.  Things aren’t getting better except for the possibility of scientific advancements like the saliva tests and a vaccine.  So the NFL is just rolling on as best it can.  I get it.  There’s way too much money at stake to not give it a go so that’s what they’re doing.  I’m just sitting back and watching it all unfold now. 

I'm a little more optimistic than I was a month ago about treatment and prevention options for COVID before any vaccine might be available.  One of the most promising right now is RLF-100 which is a relatively cheap and easy to produce inhaled anti-viral which testing to date has shown to prevent the virus from replicating.  So far the focus has been on treatment but prevention looks to be a potential use too.  Something like this would be a "game changer".  It might be weeks away from a trial read-out.

Still I'd like to see the NFL adjust the season by eliminating the 4 out of conference games and playing a 12 game conference and division schedule that starts in October.  

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

11 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

This Covid  virus sure does stink my Son who lives in Florida tested positive for it 2 weeks ago and even though he was very sick for a few days and lost his sense of smell and taste (Which can last for months) will be ok. As a Bills fan though I feel the same as you do and hope that the season can finish because I can use a time of escape from reality right now. I would like to take this moment to say stay safe and to stay healthy to all.

Edited by Blackkat19
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Football is the greatest sport ever invented but the nfl is the least forward thinking league run by a moron commissioner.  If this was Adam Silver and then nba (hell even dumb Bettman and hockey has done a great job),  I’d feel really confident on the season getting done.

but with the size of nfl rosters and coaching staff and the game of football, I struggle to see how this season goes through uninterrupted.  Really hope I’m wrong though.  I can’t imagine a fall/ winter without the Bills. ?

Maybe Bettman isn't so dumb. NHL has been great to watch

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I couldn’t handle losing to chucky, man 

...on a 'Hail Mary' from NPeterman.  :doh:

48 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I can see the Pats going 0-3, having the season abruptly ending, and them getting the top pick. 

Don't forget the bonus Covid 19 compensatory draft picks!

????‍♀️

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I love your optimism, man.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Blackkat19 said:

This Covid  virus sure does stink my Son who lives in Florida tested positive for it 2 weeks ago and even though he was very sick for a few days and lost his sense of smell and taste (Which can last for months) will be ok. As a Bills fan though I feel the same as you do and hope that the season can finish because I can use a time of escape from reality right now. I would like to take this moment to say stay safe and to stay healthy to all.

I'm glad your son will be ok.  Above all else of course is the well being of our loved ones, as you know my post is only looking at this as a Bills/football fan.  With that said I don't miss the bigger, more important picture for one second.

Edited by Bills fan since 87

12 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

There is a global pandemic raging right now, and it's been horrifically handled in this country.

It's now killed more than 3 times as many Americans as the entire Vietnam War did, and frankly, its going to keep killing a lot more than this, and this isn't the time for playing sports.

I can't get into the Stanley Cup playoffs at all.  These empty buildings are not right.

If the season gets shut down, so be it.

It probably shouldn't be started in the first place.

• Sad 1

I will stay out of the politics of this, but one thing that irks me is that different NFL teams are going with different standards regarding fan attendance.  If KC can have 22,000 people in their stadium and Houston or Buffalo has no fans (and certainly the California, Florida, and Arizona teams shouldn't have fans), doesn't that give KC (and those teams that allow fans) an unfair advantage?  I believe that for safety (in terms of preventing spread of the virus) and for fairness among the teams, the whole league should just agree to no fans this year.

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Don't be scared.  Be happy everyday you are above ground.  And that Football season will be here in less then a month.  We will have an awesome team this year.  Read the Athletic's day 1 practice preview.  It reads great.  We have so much talent across the roster.  Once you start reading the practice summaries, it feels the same as in past seasons, that football is back!!  Live your life.  Corona is way overrated.  Unless you are old or have a whole lot of co morbidities, just keep rolling forward brother.  Never over think things.  Leaves you paralyzed.   

• Like (+1) 3