Breaking news: Dawkins signs four year deal worth $60 mill

BillsMafi$

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

17, exactly what I was thinking. Just doing my fuzzy St. Francis math, but per Spotrac as they haven’t factored in Dawkins proposed contract would reduce this year by $13.7 mil..  I know it’s $15 mil., but he had an existing contract of $1.3 mil. so basically $13.7 mil. Just for this year unless they push it out for a year or two.

Bear with me on this one.  With a $13.7 mil. hit given my logic above, they have $11 mil. left to play with unless they roll to next year.  You can structure a deal for Milano from this year.  Spotrac has Milano at an estimated cost of $13 mil. in market value.  Given how awesome Beane is as a cap manager he did the deal for $15 mil. for Dawkins when he was valued at $16 mil.  We nab Milano for say $12-12.5 mil. Because Lee Smith is dead man walking and that’s $1.75 mil.  Add to it with this pandemic crap having to cut Murphy at another $8 mil. In space.  I just read on the roster breakdown, I think in the SU paper they can see Murphy being a cap casualty because of the pandemic.  That rings us back to $20.75 mil.  Securing Milano might keep us still at $8.5 mil. in cap Space.  

That can be rolled over and we start preparing in 2021 to lock up Tre White.  It will be tough, but he is the best player on this team until Diggs produces this year in a Bills uni.  There were a lot of leaps in this post so don’t be too hard on me.  I just know we have in a couple of years an exploding tv contract we negotiate, the virus hopefully is controlled and we simply have to work on Edmunds and Allen.  The good news on that on both of them is they are both first rounders so someone can get the 5th year option.

Cutting murphy saves you 8 mil (minus whatever johnson/cox/love makes).  Cutting Hauschka saves 1.75 minus bass salary.  Roberts saves you 1.5 minus mckenzie.  Yeldon could save you 1.75 too.  Smith and Dimarco could save some change.  Add it all up and its close to what you probably pay milano, leaving you more space to secure white.  

• Like (+1) 1

Good news. Dawkins is an above average player. It's his turn to get paid so he probably got a tiny bit more than he is worth, but in a year or two his contract will be middle of the pack, right where it belongs.

Don't screw with the offensive line until you have clear upgrades.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, MJS said:

Good news. Dawkins is an above average player. It's his turn to get paid so he probably got a tiny bit more than he is worth, but in a year or two his contract will be middle of the pack, right where it belongs.

Don't screw with the offensive line until you have clear upgrades.

Plus FA's get overpaid  Conklin for 14 million - Whitworth for 10 at age 38.  Hell the Jets gave Fant 10 AAV and i don't even think he's very good. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dneveu said:

Plus FA's get overpaid  Conklin for 14 million - Whitworth for 10 at age 38.  Hell the Jets gave Fant 10 AAV and i don't even think he's very good. 

Exactly. There aren't enough quality olinemen to go around so they get paid more than they are worth in free agency.

Just now, IDBillzFan said:

Wow. Five pages and not one "We should have waited because I'm not sold on Dion" post.

Well done, Bills fans. :lol:

Those posters will be along shortly. They have to yell at themselves in the mirror for a bit to get in the right mood.

• Haha (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Not even sure what you mean.  He is making 12.2 for the next 5 years.

Suddenly I’m having flashbacks to the Watkins debate- did we GIVE UP 2 first rounders or not?!?!? 
image.png.d1d3281e133a0c88f5ff3a9479578fd7.png

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Haha (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, PJBrown7 said:

Counting down to the one or two wet blankets that’ll come in here complaining about it just like they did with McDermott’s extension.

Who could possibly be mad about the McDermott extension? I could possibly see the Dawkins complaints but nobody should be mad about this either..

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

those are great terms for the team.  Figured he’d get a little more than that!

I agree, after the Tunsil and Lane Johnson deal I thought Dawkins would be looking for &17.5M or more per yr.  This deal seems like a slight win for the Bills , especially considering they can throw some of the bonus $$$ into this yr. when his deal is still cheap for accounting purposes

Gotta love ESPN.  LOL.  I can catch a lob pass so I'm a threat.

Not only is Dawkins a valuable asset protecting third-year quarterback Josh Allen's blindside, but he is also a threat as a receiver. He's recorded a receiving touchdown in each of the past two seasons, which ties him for the sixth-most by an offensive lineman since 1970.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Estro said:

I agree, after the Tunsil and Lane Johnson deal I thought Dawkins would be looking for &17.5M or more per yr.  This deal seems like a slight win for the Bills , especially considering they can throw some of the bonus $$$ into this yr. when his deal is still cheap for accounting purposes

Yeah.  I thought we got O'Briened when he decided it would be wise to give a tackle 22 million a year.  Well done by Beane.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Suddenly I’m having flashbacks to the Watkins debate- did we GIVE UP 2 first rounders or not?!?!? 
image.png.d1d3281e133a0c88f5ff3a9479578fd7.png

Crisp man, you’re killing me as it used to drive me nuts.  We traded first round picks and gave up 1, 1 first round pick, not two.  It was one of dumbest things when people used to say two when we had a 9th pick and just flipped to 4th and had to give up next years first.  I know it sucked then, but whatever it’s over.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Deare$t Uncle Peg$ and Aunt Peg$

WAA$$UP?! Hope all i$ well and you$ are both $afe and healthy! Ju$t wanna a$$ure you$ remember my $ixty $ixth Birthday thi$ $unday. We mi$$ you both $o much!

Have a great $ummer!

Hug$ & Ki$$e$,

your godchild,

Chandler#81

• Haha (+1) 5

44 minutes ago, eball said:

I really feel that 15M per year for the extension is a bit too much.  Dion is a decent player but not top notch and I think he's going to regress now that he's getting paid.  If they could have signed him for 9M per I'd be on board with this.  Another short-sighted decision by Beane that will hamstring this team for years.

Did I do that right?

I think Dion has moderate issues with speed rushers, I have always thought he was a good run blocker with better than average pass pro skills. 9 or 10 million a year is right where he needed to be paid. He will have his work cut out for him trying to live up to this deal, I hope he takes a big leap this year because he will be under a microscope now. 

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Wow. Five pages and not one "We should have waited because I'm not sold on Dion" post.

Well done, Bills fans. :lol:

It’s early..

24 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Who could possibly be mad about the McDermott extension? I could possibly see the Dawkins complaints but nobody should be mad about this either..

You’re new here, aintcha?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Deare$t Uncle Peg$ and Aunt Peg$

WAA$$UP?! Hope all i$ well and you$ are both $afe and healthy! Ju$t wanna a$$ure you$ remember my $ixty $ixth Birthday thi$ $unday. We mi$$ you both $o much!

Have a great $ummer!

Hug$ & Ki$$e$,

your godchild,

Chandler#81

Dear Chandler#81,

Can you play Right Tackle?

• Haha (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

17, exactly what I was thinking. Just doing my fuzzy St. Francis math, but per Spotrac as they haven’t factored in Dawkins proposed contract would reduce this year by $13.7 mil..  I know it’s $15 mil., but he had an existing contract of $1.3 mil. so basically $13.7 mil. Just for this year unless they push it out for a year or two.

Bear with me on this one.  With a $13.7 mil. hit given my logic above, they have $11 mil. left to play with unless they roll to next year.  You can structure a deal for Milano from this year.  Spotrac has Milano at an estimated cost of $13 mil. in market value.  Given how awesome Beane is as a cap manager he did the deal for $15 mil. for Dawkins when he was valued at $16 mil.  We nab Milano for say $12-12.5 mil. Because Lee Smith is dead man walking and that’s $1.75 mil.  Add to it with this pandemic crap having to cut Murphy at another $8 mil. In space.  I just read on the roster breakdown, I think in the SU paper they can see Murphy being a cap casualty because of the pandemic.  That rings us back to $20.75 mil.  Securing Milano might keep us still at $8.5 mil. in cap Space.  

That can be rolled over and we start preparing in 2021 to lock up Tre White.  It will be tough, but he is the best player on this team until Diggs produces this year in a Bills uni.  There were a lot of leaps in this post so don’t be too hard on me.  I just know we have in a couple of years an exploding tv contract we negotiate, the virus hopefully is controlled and we simply have to work on Edmunds and Allen.  The good news on that on both of them is they are both first rounders so someone can get the 5th year option.

I will admit I am probably nitpicking, but I don’t think it will be tough to sign Tre at all. He wants to be here and a deal will get done. Money is almost a non-factor in my eyes honestly. The chiefs are paying Mahomes all that money they just signed him for, are paying Watkins, paying Hill, have some guys on def that they are paying AND just made Kelce the second highest paid tight end in the league. The Seahawks also have huge contracts, as do the Niners, Cowboys, etc. and they always make it work. We are talking about the signing will be tough because we are laying Dawkins, Diggs, and maybe Milano before Tre? We just aren’t used to having this many guys who are worth keeping and paying more money to. 

if your front office guys are really good at their jobs (which Beane definitely is) you can always work out contracts to get the guys you want signed long term. Sorry, don’t mean to come down harsh on your post, but I see people say it will be tough all the time when it reality it won’t be that difficult. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mountain Man said:

So it's good but not top LT money. Seems about right, he is a good LT but not in the superstar level 

And considering how contracts elevate, it will be considered very team friendly after this season 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Total contract value #8 of LTs

Annual value or next year, gotta wait for details

If it is $60m the the average yearly value puts him 5th. By next year when the likes of Stanley have done their deals he will be back end of the top 10. 

Edited by GunnerBill

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

5 years, 61 million

12.2 average

12th in league for LT.  Tied with a guy like Tyron Smith from Dal, or Eric Fisher from KC

This is exactly why the deal is so great.  You give him a raise on the last year of his rookie deal and spread the rest of the money out over four more years.   It pays him in theory like a top five guy over the last four years, but in reality he is getting paid 12.2 a year.  Its a fantastic deal.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

I will admit I am probably nitpicking, but I don’t think it will be tough to sign Tre at all. He wants to be here and a deal will get done. Money is almost a non-factor in my eyes honestly. The chiefs are paying Mahomes all that money they just signed him for, are paying Watkins, paying Hill, have some guys on def that they are paying AND just made Kelce the second highest paid tight end in the league. The Seahawks also have huge contracts, as do the Niners, Cowboys, etc. and they always make it work. We are talking about the signing will be tough because we are laying Dawkins, Diggs, and maybe Milano before Tre? We just aren’t used to having this many guys who are worth keeping and paying more money to. 

if your front office guys are really good at their jobs (which Beane definitely is) you can always work out contracts to get the guys you want signed long term. Sorry, don’t mean to come down harsh on your post, but I see people say it will be tough all the time when it reality it won’t be that difficult. 

I dig ya digg.  You’re not being harsh at all and very thoughtful in you’re response.  I know they will do it, I was just pointing out they will time it and they have flexibility with 5th year options for Tre in 2021, and a possibility of 5th year for Allen or Edmunds.  They probably would do Allen as his price is higher than Edmunds, unless they are not sure on the $30+ mil. Contract price for Allen.

It was a shrewd move on moving on from Shaq and J. Phillips, and they were not worth their contracts.  I don’t have anything against them and wish them the best.  Milano on the other hand along with Edmunds are core LB’s for us, we cautiously have super high hopes for Allen, and no one disputes we have to keep Tre.  He’ll probably get an avg. $18 mil./yr.s contract.

We’re cool Digg and you were not being nit picky again.  

Love it, a solid deal at a premium position. What I love about McBeane's deals is that with few exceptions he signs players to deals where all they have to do to make the deal a solid deal for the team is to maintain their level of production. For Dawkins to justify that contract at LT all he has to do is more or less sustain his 2019 levels of production. But if he gets better than the deal becomes an excellent value.

• Like (+1) 1

it's funny usually these deals are next man gets the top dollar so i'm surprised we got him even outside top 5 tackle money.  the funny thing is it's such a good deal he has less chance of getting cut so he should see the whole deal so taking a little less average will allow him to see more money. 

• Like (+1) 1