Breaking news: Dawkins signs four year deal worth $60 mill

BillsMafi$

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

17, exactly what I was thinking. Just doing my fuzzy St. Francis math, but per Spotrac as they haven’t factored in Dawkins proposed contract would reduce this year by $13.7 mil..  I know it’s $15 mil., but he had an existing contract of $1.3 mil. so basically $13.7 mil. Just for this year unless they push it out for a year or two.

Bear with me on this one.  With a $13.7 mil. hit given my logic above, they have $11 mil. left to play with unless they roll to next year.  You can structure a deal for Milano from this year.  Spotrac has Milano at an estimated cost of $13 mil. in market value.  Given how awesome Beane is as a cap manager he did the deal for $15 mil. for Dawkins when he was valued at $16 mil.  We nab Milano for say $12-12.5 mil. Because Lee Smith is dead man walking and that’s $1.75 mil.  Add to it with this pandemic crap having to cut Murphy at another $8 mil. In space.  I just read on the roster breakdown, I think in the SU paper they can see Murphy being a cap casualty because of the pandemic.  That rings us back to $20.75 mil.  Securing Milano might keep us still at $8.5 mil. in cap Space.  

That can be rolled over and we start preparing in 2021 to lock up Tre White.  It will be tough, but he is the best player on this team until Diggs produces this year in a Bills uni.  There were a lot of leaps in this post so don’t be too hard on me.  I just know we have in a couple of years an exploding tv contract we negotiate, the virus hopefully is controlled and we simply have to work on Edmunds and Allen.  The good news on that on both of them is they are both first rounders so someone can get the 5th year option.

Cutting murphy saves you 8 mil (minus whatever johnson/cox/love makes).  Cutting Hauschka saves 1.75 minus bass salary.  Roberts saves you 1.5 minus mckenzie.  Yeldon could save you 1.75 too.  Smith and Dimarco could save some change.  Add it all up and its close to what you probably pay milano, leaving you more space to secure white.  

• Like (+1) 1

Good news. Dawkins is an above average player. It's his turn to get paid so he probably got a tiny bit more than he is worth, but in a year or two his contract will be middle of the pack, right where it belongs.

Don't screw with the offensive line until you have clear upgrades.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, MJS said:

Good news. Dawkins is an above average player. It's his turn to get paid so he probably got a tiny bit more than he is worth, but in a year or two his contract will be middle of the pack, right where it belongs.

Don't screw with the offensive line until you have clear upgrades.

Plus FA's get overpaid  Conklin for 14 million - Whitworth for 10 at age 38.  Hell the Jets gave Fant 10 AAV and i don't even think he's very good. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dneveu said:

Plus FA's get overpaid  Conklin for 14 million - Whitworth for 10 at age 38.  Hell the Jets gave Fant 10 AAV and i don't even think he's very good. 

Exactly. There aren't enough quality olinemen to go around so they get paid more than they are worth in free agency.

Just now, IDBillzFan said:

Wow. Five pages and not one "We should have waited because I'm not sold on Dion" post.

Well done, Bills fans. :lol:

Those posters will be along shortly. They have to yell at themselves in the mirror for a bit to get in the right mood.

• Haha (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Not even sure what you mean.  He is making 12.2 for the next 5 years.

Suddenly I’m having flashbacks to the Watkins debate- did we GIVE UP 2 first rounders or not?!?!? 
image.png.d1d3281e133a0c88f5ff3a9479578fd7.png

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Haha (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, PJBrown7 said:

Counting down to the one or two wet blankets that’ll come in here complaining about it just like they did with McDermott’s extension.

Who could possibly be mad about the McDermott extension? I could possibly see the Dawkins complaints but nobody should be mad about this either..

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

those are great terms for the team.  Figured he’d get a little more than that!

I agree, after the Tunsil and Lane Johnson deal I thought Dawkins would be looking for &17.5M or more per yr.  This deal seems like a slight win for the Bills , especially considering they can throw some of the bonus $$$ into this yr. when his deal is still cheap for accounting purposes

Gotta love ESPN.  LOL.  I can catch a lob pass so I'm a threat.

Not only is Dawkins a valuable asset protecting third-year quarterback Josh Allen's blindside, but he is also a threat as a receiver. He's recorded a receiving touchdown in each of the past two seasons, which ties him for the sixth-most by an offensive lineman since 1970.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1