Breaking news: Dawkins signs four year deal worth $60 mill

BillsMafi$

I really feel that 15M per year for the extension is a bit too much.  Dion is a decent player but not top notch and I think he's going to regress now that he's getting paid.  If they could have signed him for 9M per I'd be on board with this.  Another short-sighted decision by Beane that will hamstring this team for years.

Did I do that right?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 10

Just now, Mountain Man said:

It absolutely can't be 12.2 a year because he was under contract for this year. And no player has a 0 dollar contract. 

He's not (saying he's) making zero dollars this year.  He's making ~$1M.  So $1M this year + $60M for the next 4 years is $61M/5 years or $12.2M/year going forward.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, eball said:

I really feel that 15M per year for the extension is a bit too much.  Dion is a decent player but not top notch and I think he's going to regress now that he's getting paid.  If they could have signed him for 9M per I'd be on board with this.  Another short-sighted decision by Beane that will hamstring this team for years.

Did I do that right?

Drop it to 6m per year and you are right on target.

1 minute ago, Mountain Man said:

It absolutely can't be 12.2 a year because he was under contract for this year. And no player has a 0 dollar contract. 

Dawkins was set to make $1.3 for 2020. 

Now, he will make $61.3 ($60 + 1.3) for 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024 (5 total years).  Over those five years, he will average 12.2 (maybe 12.4? I don't have a calculator).  

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

A side thought: I'd bet this extension only helps with negotiating all the high-profile player extensions we have coming up. White, Dawkins, and especially Milano can see the coach who is going to be here through their next contract, and it's someone they actually want to play for.

Called it in the McDermott thread!!

3 minutes ago, eball said:

Did I do that right?

I read that first paragraph and all I could think was, et tu, eball? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Hope it’s massively front loaded to take advantage of cap space this year.

Either way, seems like good value for a quality LT.

Especially if they are legitimately expecting a reduction in the salary cap to $175-$180 mill next year. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I'm not a cap guy, but does this even matter anymore as unused space is rolled forward?

Just now, thebandit27 said:

They can rollover the cap space to next year.

12 minutes ago, Utah John said:

The Bills are built around a concept of good to very good players at most positions, instead of a few top guys and lots of JAGs.  With the salary cap, this is the way to go.

Might be better in a separate thread...but I'm curious what championship contenders are "A few elites, and then JAGs" rosters? Maybe the Seahawks, but I don't think that's the case with the Saints, 49ers, Chiefs, Cowboys, Ravens, Eagles or Vikings.

The Bills do have many good to great players, and Mcdermott is able to create a better sum than its parts. Maybe Edmunds, Dion, Diggs or Josh can join Tre in the "top guys" party soon.

Great signing - I'm a fan! 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

1 minute ago, eball said:

Did I do that right?

Lewan signed in 2018 for 5/80 at 16 per year.  Matthews 5/72.5 for 14.5 a year.  Tunsil 3/66 for 22 per year, Armstead 2016 for 5 and 65.  Solder 2018 4/62 15.5 per.  Bakhtiari 2016 4/48 12 per.  So It's in line with the top level guys at the position - similar to what DJ humphries signed for, slightly less than a couple of others - but several of these guys will get that jump into the tunsil territory in the next 2 years.  Bakhtiari and Villanueva will get big paydays next year at least.  Other guys like Armstead, Reiff, and fisher are likely 2022 bumps.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

Get Beane and Milano extended and I think they are good

17, exactly what I was thinking. Just doing my fuzzy St. Francis math, but per Spotrac as they haven’t factored in Dawkins proposed contract would reduce this year by $13.7 mil..  I know it’s $15 mil., but he had an existing contract of $1.3 mil. so basically $13.7 mil. Just for this year unless they push it out for a year or two.

Bear with me on this one.  With a $13.7 mil. hit given my logic above, they have $11 mil. left to play with unless they roll to next year.  You can structure a deal for Milano from this year.  Spotrac has Milano at an estimated cost of $13 mil. in market value.  Given how awesome Beane is as a cap manager he did the deal for $15 mil. for Dawkins when he was valued at $16 mil.  We nab Milano for say $12-12.5 mil. Because Lee Smith is dead man walking and that’s $1.75 mil.  Add to it with this pandemic crap having to cut Murphy at another $8 mil. In space.  I just read on the roster breakdown, I think in the SU paper they can see Murphy being a cap casualty because of the pandemic.  That rings us back to $20.75 mil.  Securing Milano might keep us still at $8.5 mil. in cap Space.  

That can be rolled over and we start preparing in 2021 to lock up Tre White.  It will be tough, but he is the best player on this team until Diggs produces this year in a Bills uni.  There were a lot of leaps in this post so don’t be too hard on me.  I just know we have in a couple of years an exploding tv contract we negotiate, the virus hopefully is controlled and we simply have to work on Edmunds and Allen.  The good news on that on both of them is they are both first rounders so someone can get the 5th year option.