Would you prefer to make the playoffs or get the #1 pick?

JetsFan20

As a die-hard Rangers fan I feel like Im in the minority, but I’d prefer to make the playoffs. 

Obviously the #1 pick is a great consolation prize and I was stoked to get it, but at the end of the day I want that shot at a championship. 

In the NBA I’d definitely take the #1 pick, but the other three sports (Baseball, Hockey, and Football) are definitely random enough to give any playoff team a fighting chance at a title. 

What are your thoughts? Would you rather win a game or series and make the playoffs or lose that game or series and end up with the #1 pick?

I ask because I respect Buffalo sports fans.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

I think the answer is it depends on your team and the draft. It is normally playoffs but if you’re like a .500ish team with little upside maybe not. That holds especially true in a draft with a generational talent at a crucial position. As an example, if I’m a Jags fan this year, I’d rather get Lawrence than be 9-7 and get crushed in the playoffs. I’d say that it’s playoffs 95% of the time but there are exceptions. In the NBA that number can drop as low as 50% depending on the top of the draft. 

• Like (+1) 9

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think the answer is it depends on your team and the draft. It is normally playoffs but if you’re like a .500ish team with little upside maybe not. That holds especially true in a draft with a generational talent at a crucial position. As an example, if I’m a Jags fan this year, I’d rather get Lawrence than be 9-7 and get crushed in the playoffs. I’d say that it’s playoffs 95% of the time but there are exceptions. In the NBA that number can drop as low as 50% depending on the top of the draft. 

Well, consensus generational talents aren't always what we thought they were. We have Andrew Luck who is out of the league and we have Mahomes who didn't get taken till pick 10. And there are so many examples of teams getting it wrong, even with very high picks every single year.

9 hours ago, MJS said:

Well, consensus generational talents aren't always what we thought they were. We have Andrew Luck who is out of the league and we have Mahomes who didn't get taken till pick 10. And there are so many examples of teams getting it wrong, even with very high picks every single year.

Certainly but there have still been 15 Super Bowls (I think) won by QBs picked first overall. The worst thing that you can be in sports in mediocre. Not everyone that makes the playoffs can win it all. That 2017 Bills team was a lot of fun but they weren’t winning the Super Bowl. I said about 95% of the time it’s the playoffs but it’s not an absolute. A team can change its entire future some drafts. Sometimes you have to be bad to be good. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Andrew luck retired because he just didn't want to play anymore and was beat up

He was on Pace to break lots of major passing record in NFL history if he kept playing

Brees and Luck each average 1.98 passing TDs per game 

Average yards per game all time

1- Brees 281.5

2) Stafford 275.3

3) luck 275.2

Luck was literally entering his prime for a QB and if he played as long as Brady or Brees he probably would have taken down those records. 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You can't win the Super Bowl if you don't make the playoffs.

Are you sure?  You sound like a flat earth kind of guy! 

If you need a QB but sneak in at 9-7, I’ll take Trevor Lawerence, thank you very much. It all depends upon your team and the upcoming draft. 

• Haha (+1) 2

May depend on who the projected #1 pick is supposed to be but I would usually say the playoffs.  Might be worth it this year to get Trevor Lawrence, perhaps it was worth it last year for the Bengals in getting Burrow.  In recent memory, I can't think of a player taken #1 who I would give up the playoffs for (some are still young, I know).

2 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

As a die-hard Rangers fan I feel like Im in the minority, but I’d prefer to make the playoffs. 

Obviously the #1 pick is a great consolation prize and I was stoked to get it, but at the end of the day I want that shot at a championship. 

In the NBA I’d definitely take the #1 pick, but the other three sports (Baseball, Hockey, and Football) are definitely random enough to give any playoff team a fighting chance at a title. 

What are your thoughts? Would you rather win a game or series and make the playoffs or lose that game or series and end up with the #1 pick?

I read "die hard Rangers fan," puked in my mouth a little, and stopped reading.

2 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

You are on the wrong board bud.  We are contending for a championship this year.  The Jets may win 4 games,?

• Haha (+1) 4

3 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

How many teams have made the playoffs and drafted 1sr overall though? You guys hit the honeypot this year.

30 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

You are on the wrong board bud.  We are contending for a championship this year.  The Jets may win 4 games,?

He trolls this forum all the time. We take the high road and do our best to humor him, especially when he says things like...

3 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

If you're in the playoffs, you have a chance at a title. Several 6 seeds have gotten hot late, and won it all.

If you're picking #1 overall, you are years away from contending. Getting that pick right is step 1 of hundreds in the very near future, in order to get to the playoffs.

So, yeah, the answer HAS to be playoffs.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Isn't the point of sports to make the playoffs?

Yea but its a theoretical between 1 and done playoff appearance or potential to be competitive for 10 years. I'd argue the #1 pick wouldve long term benefited the Tyrod team. Think Beane with first pick of every round. 

Playing devils advocate admittedly because with our current roster id take playoffs.

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Andrew Luck didn't bust though. He got hurt. Arguably he got hurt because he alone was making a 4 or 5 win football team a 10 or 11 win football team and taking too many hits while doing it. Andrew Luck's career is not proof the Colts shouldn't have tanked. It is proof that after the tank they should have done a better job surrounding him. At times he was the only good thing on that team. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Yea but its a theoretical between 1 and done playoff appearance or potential to be competitive for 10 years. I'd argue the #1 pick wouldve long term benefited the Tyrod team. Think Beane with first pick of every round. 

Playing devils advocate admittedly because with our current roster id take playoffs.

I personally root for the team to win no matter how bad they are. To me a 2-14 season is better than a 1-15 season.

But I get it. Some fans like to look to the draft. I like to see the season play out and let the draft fall where it does.

We built our current team without bottoming out. 6-10 isn't that bad. We traded up to get our QB. You don't need the #1 overlap pick to build a great team, in fact you aee the same few teams picking in the top 10 and spinning their wheels year after year. Their high picks leaving the team or turning out to be busts.

40 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Andrew Luck didn't bust though. He got hurt. Arguably he got hurt because he alone was making a 4 or 5 win football team a 10 or 11 win football team and taking too many hits while doing it. Andrew Luck's career is not proof the Colts shouldn't have tanked. It is proof that after the tank they should have done a better job surrounding him. At times he was the only good thing on that team. 

I never said he was a bust. But he sure didn't turn out how the team hoped he would, and there is a list a mile long as to why that happened.

Badly managed teams don't become well managed by getting a talented player. In fact they tend to find ways to screw it up despite their talented players, which is why you see teams like the Browns, Dolphins, Jets, etc. continue to spin their wheels even when they get talented players.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

IMO, in the NFL if you don't have a franchise QB, the #1 pick is usually far better. 

I personally don't care about the playoffs per se. I only care about being legitimately competitive for a title. And while people say that anyone in the playoffs might win, it's not really true. There are usually 3 or 4 teams that aren't going to win. Generally it's from the top 6 or so teams that the winners come, and occasionally one who's roughly 7th or 8th will sneak in. But there are also teams that don't have a realistic chance. The 2017 Bills were a good example, for instance. But really, everyone knows who those teams are, and making the playoffs as a creampuff does nothing for me since the 4 Super Bowl losses in a row. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

I personally root for the team to win no matter how bad they are. To me a 2-14 season is better than a 1-15 season.

But I get it. Some fans like to look to the draft. I like to see the season play out and let the draft fall where it does.

We built our current team without bottoming out. 6-10 isn't that bad. We traded up to get our QB. You don't need the #1 overlap pick to build a great team, in fact you aee the same few teams picking in the top 10 and spinning their wheels year after year. Their high picks leaving the team or turning out to be busts.

I never said he was a bust. But he sure didn't turn out how the team hoped he would, and there is a list a mile long as to why that happened.

Badly managed teams don't become well managed by getting a talented player. In fact they tend to find ways to screw it up despite their talented players, which is why you see teams like the Browns, Dolphins, Jets, etc. continue to spin their wheels even when they get talented players.

So I always root for the team to win at the start of a season. There have been seasons where I have got to a point, however, where I have thought the Bills should stop trying to win. The Cam Newton year being the main one. Luck was pondering coming out and there was Cam and we started 0-8. 

And I am with Kirby that generally you choose playoffs but there are circumstances where you don't and Luck was 100% one of those. Had they not sucked for Luck the Colts would have been the Browns for a few years. They'd have been topping out at 4 and 5 wins. So if what you really care about is making the playoffs then sucking for one year and drafting Andrew Luck and making the playoffs 4 of the 5 seasons he was healthy, winning 4 playoff games and reaching an AFCCG, was 100% the right call. 

• Like (+1) 1

Playoffs, but not by a lot in certain seasons. 

For instance, the team that has the #1 in 2021 gets either Trevor Lawrence, or virtually anything one could imagine in a trade. Some teams would be willing to give up years of #1 picks,  great players, and more. This is a kid with John Elway talent.  He will (we think) make a team much better and make the owner millions of dollars with his fan appeal, and this would encourage teams to give away the store, and even have bidding wars for the #1.

In a "normal" season, the playoffs by a landslide.

Of course, this is jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

The Rags weren’t making a championship run. 

Thank your lucky stars you have the pick.

what a stupid way they obtained it. That’s another story. 

I look at the NY Giants in both 2007 and 2011. 9-7 type teams that got hot at the right time to make a super bowl run. 

There are countless examples of this from all sports. 

That said I agree the Rangers situation was a little different. It would almost be the same as if the Jets were awarded the #1 pick after losing to the Bills in Week 17 2015.

Still, to me fans have a tendency to overhype draft picks. I’m sure LaFreniere is going to become an excellent forward, but you don’t want to put too high of expectations on a 18 year old kid.  

Edited by JetsFan20

Playoffs all day.  Everyday.  Getting the #1 pick, in most situations, means your team is absolutely terrible and is a couple years,if not more, away from being decent. 

If your team is terrible, how much confidence do you, as a fan, have in your team in selecting the right player, surrounding him with talent, and developing and coaching up all this talent?

As far as hockey is concerned, I'm just glad Edmonton didn't get the top pick.  

Edited by DCbillsfan