Aaron Donald Rumored to Be on Trade Block...Should The Bills Make a Move?

10 minutes ago, mannc said:

Dude, you're the one that was touting all the cap room they'll have, not me. 

I can't believe this is even a conversation.  The last two teams that traded multiple first round picks for a defensive player are both dead in the water, with no first round picks to fall back on.  The Bills have a top-three defense in the league and just used the ninth overall pick on a guy who plays Donald's position.  And our offense is primitive, at best, and in need of a major talent infusion at multiple positions.  If we were talking about signing Aaron Donald (or a premier edge rusher) as an unrestricted FA, then I'm all in, but that's not what we're talking about. 

Did either of those teams trade for Donald? Then what does it matter?

The point about cap space is this: you can use what you have now to improve BOTH sides of the ball. You're not limited in any way, shape, or form.

I also can't believe it's a discussion. Best defensive player in football every year for the last 4 years and there's people that treat it like an either-or scenario with regard to improving the offense.

Do. Both.

33 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Well that's kinda my point too. For $25M, sorry $23M, I'd rather have Phillips AND Shaq back. Starting DT AND DE. Instead of just 1 player.

And yeah, the draft picks. Which probably wont be much given his contract. Maybe a 3rd or 4th? No one is spending a 1st on that contract.

I dunno.  I’d rather have Donald that Phillips and shaq.  I wouldn’t think twice about it.  The draft pick is the problem.  If it’s a 1st, then no.  2nd or 3rd and it’s considered.  He’s the best defensive player in football.  Bar none imo.  

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Did either of those teams trade for Donald? Then what does it matter?

The point about cap space is this: you can use what you have now to improve BOTH sides of the ball. You're not limited in any way, shape, or form.

I also can't believe it's a discussion. Best defensive player in football every year for the last 4 years and there's people that treat it like an either-or scenario with regard to improving the offense.

Do. Both.

Aaron Donald is a great player.  No question.  But Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack are comparable players.  At the time Mack was traded to the Bears, Mack and Donald were neck-and-neck for best defensive player in the league.  I hate to try to defend Jalen Ramsay, but he's a supremely talented player at a premium position and he's only 24 years old.  Both the Rams and the Bears were convinced that the player they were acquiring would put them over the top in their quest for a Super Bowl title.  Both were wrong and are now paying a heavy price.  Fortunately, Beane knows that spending multiple first round picks on extremely highly paid 29-year old defensive linemen is NOT the formula for NFL success these days. 

• Like (+1) 3

I love these hypotheticals here about these elite  players getting traded to the Bills..

“Go get him but I’m only offering a second..”

Think I’ve seen this previously about Julio, Mack and now Donald...

Then I see what happens in the real world and a second buys you Mohamed Sanu..

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Haven't we learned that it is a mistake to trade two first round picks (which is what LA would want) for a defensive player, no matter how good?  Any any rate, we need our picks to help our offense.  We already have a top 3 or 4 defense (despite that display on Saturday).  

We learned that "mistake" big time the last time we traded 2 1st round picks for a defensive player-all it did was help us win 4 straight AFC championships.  Now maybe if we had our 1988 & 1989 1st rounders instead of Bennett we might have won the Super Bowl once, but I think the trade worked out quite well for the Bills.  

If you watch a rams game they can’t wait to tell you how great this guy is. They will tell you 40 times a half during the telecast. But then as you are watching the game, you will notice that the Rams defense can’t stop anybody. It’s strange that a guy that is so incredible is always on a terrible defense. I get that it’s not a 1 man thing but do you think JJ Watt or Lawrence Taylor we’re ever on bad defenses? These all world players make much more of an impact then he does. I’m not saying he’s not good. He is. But he’s nowhere near as good as they make him out to be.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, mannc said:

Aaron Donald is a great player.  No question.  But Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack are comparable players.  At the time Mack was traded to the Bears, Mack and Donald were neck-and-neck for best defensive player in the league.  I hate to try to defend Jalen Ramsay, but he's a supremely talented player at a premium position and he's only 24 years old.  Both the Rams and the Bears were convinced that the player they were acquiring would put them over the top in their quest for a Super Bowl title.  Both were wrong and are now paying a heavy price.  Fortunately, Beane knows that spending multiple first round picks on extremely highly paid 29-year old defensive linemen is NOT the formula for NFL success these days. 

The difference between Donald and Mack & Ramsey is that the latter were traded BEFORE they signed mega deals.

Donald has signed his. That will lower what the Rams get back in return.

Edited by Clemfield2622

1 hour ago, 32ABBA said:

"Impossible" pfft.

It's not hard to argue that the Bills don't need to add him...they are better than the Rams right now, without him. And spending the money somewhere else surely has merit as an argument.

Donald is considered a selfish player, that neglects the run and his gaps, in order to get sacks. I think sacks are overrated.

Woods would be a nice, but I doubt he would provide much more than what we already have. I think finding a WR that was at least a notch better would be the right way to approach it.

Again, it might not be the best decision- but you can’t say adding a Hall or famer who is still playing like it is a 100% mistake.

Where are you getting that idea from? 

Who? Where from?

53 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Can you support this depiction of Donald with some hard empirical evidence that is not refutable. Otherwise it is the worst kind of hearsay.

If that’s the case I would not be for the deal. But, my previous comment stands as true. For a single first round draft pick he would not break the bank.

The Bills are not going to seriously pursue Donald.

"Hard empirical evidence"... about his attitude?

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/16/nfl-rams-run-defense-pro-football-focus-ranking/

Their defense has ranked near the bottom of the league the past couple years, and is currently 23rd.

I think except for paying our own guys I am done allocating resources to the defense

We need to start hard court pressing offensive playmakers......we need at guys with size and speed....at least 2 WR's that can actually start which means we probably need to do what we did with the O line......bring in more then actually fit on the team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Again, it might not be the best decision- but you can’t say adding a Hall or famer who is still playing like it is a 100% mistake.

Where are you getting that idea from? 

Who? Where from?

I live in Los Angeles, and it is often brought up on the local shows.

Woods? finding another WR's that is better? Where, Who?

Impossible!

IDFKnow. We'll see when the season is over, and when the draft and free agency are going. Point is, I don't believe he would offer much of an improvement, if any. 

And again...they aren't going to pursue him. He is done with Buffalo.

Edited by 32ABBA

19 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

We learned that "mistake" big time the last time we traded 2 1st round picks for a defensive player-all it did was help us win 4 straight AFC championships.  Now maybe if we had our 1988 & 1989 1st rounders instead of Bennett we might have won the Super Bowl once, but I think the trade worked out quite well for the Bills.  

Bennett was 21-years old.  Donald is going to be 29 before 2020 season and is the highest paid defensive player in the league.  And that was more than 30 years ago.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Wait, there are really people that don't want the best defensive player in football?

Serious question - do you worry that he's about to enter his decline years, and that he's never going to be as good as he was in 2018?

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, wppete said:

No thanks...

usatsi_13179280-1.jpg?w=452&h=271&crop=1

I absolutely Oliver. But it is looney tunes to not trade for possibly the best defensive player in the nfl because of Oliver and Phillips. Straight crazy.

that said, this is stupid. He’s not going anywhere. Stupid early offseason talk that will end up being nothing. 

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I absolutely Oliver. But it is looney tunes to not trade for possibly the best defensive player in the nfl because of Oliver and Phillips. Straight crazy.

that said, this is stupid. He’s not going anywhere. Stupid early offseason talk that will end up being nothing. 

$25 million on a DT. No thanks. 

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Serious question - do you worry that he's about to enter his decline years, and that he's never going to be as good as he was in 2018?

Sure. There's always a risk. But I'm more afraid of not winning a Super Bowl before I have to pay my QB 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dude has an annual cap hit of $25M/season. At a position of depth and strength for us. Lol, no.

Wisdom right here! I am with ya- too steep lets resign Jordan Phillips, Shaq, and go after an edge rusher

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Word on the street is the Pack are sick of Rodgers’ diva attitude.  Could be a solid backup mentor to Allen. 

Wait what? Rodgers starts somewhere or retires I doubt he takes a backseat.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

You've got the cap room to trade for Donald and go get a WR1 this offseason. Plus the Rams will eat Donald's entire SB, so that helps.

I just think you've got your QB on a cheap deal through the end of the 2021 season. Time to go for it IMO.

It makes sense by the numbers as well.

McBeane had 4 first round picks in a 3 year span and if they continue to all play well they will all need to get paid in a very close window.

What you'd prefer not to have are a lot of guaranteed dollars committed long term that will make it difficult to do so.

And trading a first round pick gives you a welcome break from that extension pressure 4-5 years down the road...............while giving you potentially very high end production between now and when that 2020 first rounder came up for their 5th year option/free agency decision.

Donald would give you a proven superstar player now(with money you could walk away from) and allow you to pass on both Shaq and Phillips. 

• Like (+1) 3