2017 revisited...McDermott or ALynn for HC??

eball

Asking for a friend.

Interesting to note:  their career W-L records are very similar:

Lynn:  26-21 RS, 1-1 PS (1/3 playoff berths)

McD:  25-21, 0-1 (2/3 playoff berths)

Edited by eball
  • Haha (+1) 4

I guess we are stuck with what we have.... 10-4 baby! ?

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

We have guess we are stuck with what we have.... 10-4 baby! ?

Go Bills!!!

I don’t think McD gets enough credit for building a championship defense ,  

GO BILLS !!!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, eball said:

Asking for a friend.

So you note that these are career records but subtract the 1 win when Lynn was in Buffalo.  They have the same record  over the same period.

The difference may be that Lynn gets fired this year and McDermott will not.

Just now, Putin said:

I don’t think McD gets enough credit for building a championship defense ,  

GO BILLS !!!!!

And you would be correct, he does not get the credit he is due. 

Go Bills!!!

1 minute ago, Just Joshin' said:

So you note that these are career records but subtract the 1 win when Lynn was in Buffalo.  They have the same record  over the same period.

The difference may be that Lynn gets fired this year and McDermott will not.

Actually Lynn took the L in Buffalo.  He is 26-20 in SD/LA.

So they essentially have identical records.

One coach had Tyrod Taylor one year, and the most “raw”rookie available, and while progressing, is definitely still a young QB learning on the job.

The other coach has had Phillip Rivers.

• Like (+1) 5

In retrospect, I'm glad they hired Rex when they did. Although he set the franchise back a few years, it set the stage for the current front office, and they've rebounded quite nicely.

Sometimes, a mistake is the best thing that can happen to you.

• Like (+1) 5

9 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

And you would be correct, he does not get the credit he is due. 

Go Bills!!!

IF we beat the cheatriots this Saturday and win a playoff game (IMO ) McD should at least be in the conversation for the coach of the year  !!! 

First 10 win season in 20 years !!!! 

GO Bills 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

In retrospect, I'm glad they hired Rex when they did. Although he set the franchise back a few years, it set the stage for the current front office, and they've rebounded quite nicely.

This is an incredibly insightful comment, and one I have also considered over the past couple of seasons.  It literally took a train wreck like Rex to wake the Pegulas up, but thankfully they did.

Unbelievably there are still some on this board who believe the Bills should have kept rolling with the roster of losers and "me first" players Whaley and Rex created.

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, Putin said:

IF we beat the cheatriots this Saturday and win a playoff game (IMO ) McD should at least be in the conversation for the coach of the year  !!! 

First 10 win season in 20 years !!!! 

GO Bills 

Completely agree, it’s been an incredible turn around.

Go Bills!!!

8 minutes ago, eball said:

This is an incredibly insightful comment, and one I have also considered over the past couple of seasons.  It literally took a train wreck like Rex to wake the Pegulas up, but thankfully they did.

Unbelievably there are still some on this board who believe the Bills should have kept rolling with the roster of losers and "me first" players Whaley and Rex created.

Don't forget about Russ "The Weasel" Brandon. I couldn't stand that guy the second he was hired. I think Russ was the one banging the table for Rex.

22 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

So they essentially have identical records.

One coach had Tyrod Taylor one year, and the most “raw”rookie available, and while progressing, is definitely still a young QB learning on the job.

The other coach has had Phillip Rivers.

No, no........say it right.........McD had Patrick Mahomes in hand........and traded him away..........with Tyrod Taylor as his #1 QB. :lol:

A lot has to play out right long term after you make the most egregious error in franchise history.

Hopefully it does but it's going to take more than losing a couple of road wildcard games..............gotta' raise that Lombardi before Mahomes does.:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Asking for a friend.

I’m good, but thanks for asking!   ?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

No, no........say it right.........McD had Patrick Mahomes in hand........and traded him away..........with Tyrod Taylor as his #1 QB. :lol:

A lot has to play out right long term after you make the most egregious error in franchise history.

Hopefully it does but it's going to take more than losing a couple of road wildcard games..............gotta' raise that Lombardi before Mahomes does.:thumbsup:

The point is, that McDermott AS A COACH has done  more with less.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Asking for a friend.

...what probable seed are they in the playoffs?....asking for a different friend................

40 minutes ago, eball said:

Well said. In 3 years the team has flipped the roster, got rid of the malcontents, went from salary cap hell to 90m to play with and made the playoffs 2/3 years.

Yet some here want to harp on not taking Mahomes or Watson. Of course  then you don't have Tre White the other flexibility you gained with the extra draft picks but  haters will hate

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

McDermott without question.

Lynn has had a future HOF QB he should have done better.

I get what you are saying but if Rivers makes the HOF it then should be named the Hall of very good.

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I've thought of this a couple times. What if we had hired someone better, but just mediocre and missed out on the chance to get what we got? I guess the ol' cliche saying goes... everything happens for a reason.

6 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

The point is, that McDermott AS A COACH has done  more with less.

More with less?   The opposite actually.

2015 Chargers 4-12

2016 Chargers 5-11

Team leaves San Diego to go to LA.........which is the equivalent of if the Bills moved to Toronto..........and then proceeds to play what amounts to 48 straight road games.   Trust me, nobody thinks he hasn't done a great job under the circumstances.    It would be hard to pull off "The Process" in that mess Lynn has been thrust into.    Call it apples and oranges at worst.........though he is 2-0 versus McDermott including McD's lowest moment in front of a partisan Bills crowd in LA.?

• Like (+1) 2

Lynn inherited a roster that had more talent than Buffalo had so that helped his record initially.  I also don't think if Lynn was hired here he would have torn things down as much as as someone else stated, we'd have a middle of the road team for awhile.  Maybe he would have allowed TT to play more wide open ala Jackson?

9 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Lynn inherited a roster that had more talent than Buffalo had so that helped his record initially.  I also don't think if Lynn was hired here he would have torn things down as much as as someone else stated, we'd have a middle of the road team for awhile.  Maybe he would have allowed TT to play more wide open ala Jackson?

The Chargers were terrible in 2015 and 2016.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

The Chargers were terrible in 2015 and 2016.

And to make matters worse some other new HC playing GM traded what turned out to be the best QB to enter the league in decades to his division rival.?

Tough breaks!

It's funny the lack of perspective regarding the NFL with so many on this site.:lol:

1 hour ago, eball said:

This partnership showed the ownership you need a GM and coach who plan to go in the same direction. Whaley loved down linemen on D and Rex loved LB, Whaley loved quick nimble guys and Rex loved to bludgeon teams. Ownership had to know they could not work together.

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Well said. In 3 years the team has flipped the roster, got rid of the malcontents, went from salary cap hell to 90m to play with and made the playoffs 2/3 years.

Yet some here want to harp on not taking Mahomes or Watson. Of course  then you don't have Tre White the other flexibility you gained with the extra draft picks but  haters will hate

Well of course, the biggest goal in the NFL is to gain draft picks and flexibility. The Dolphins are dominating this year!

3 hours ago, eball said:

Asking for a friend.

I was thinking this recently. His run game was great when here but I think we got the right coach!

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Honestly I don’t see Mahomes winning a Super Bowl as long as Andy Reid is the HC of the chiefs. Guy is known to choke in the playoffs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

It always shocks me to see people defend Doug Whaley so hard in here.  I didn’t think he was very good but some people are willing to die on Doug Whaley Hill

57 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

More with less?   The opposite actually.

2015 Chargers 4-12

2016 Chargers 5-11

Team leaves San Diego to go to LA.........which is the equivalent of if the Bills moved to Toronto..........and then proceeds to play what amounts to 48 straight road games.   Trust me, nobody thinks he hasn't done a great job under the circumstances.    It would be hard to pull off "The Process" in that mess Lynn has been thrust into.    Call it apples and oranges at worst.........though he is 2-0 versus McDermott including McD's lowest moment in front of a partisan Bills crowd in LA.?

Yeah, I don’t know the point of this. The Chargers sucked before Lynn. Are we going to bump this if the Chargers are better next year?  

McDermott gets this team to play hard every week and it is a very sound team that doesn’t beat itself. I also think Lynn is a good coach who got the Chargers curse this year with really bad injuries and holdouts.  This is crazy but both guys could be good coaches. 

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Honestly I don’t see Mahomes winning a Super Bowl as long as Andy Reid is the HC of the chiefs. Guy is known to choke in the playoffs.

Yet if Reid wins a SB, he is a HOF coach. It’s amazing what win does for a resume and the KC defense hasn’t been completely awful the last few weeks.  They are playing pretty well (their running game sucks though). 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And to make matters worse some other new HC playing GM traded what turned out to be the best QB to enter the league in decades to his division rival.?

Tough breaks!

It's funny the lack of perspective regarding the NFL with so many on this site.:lol:

This is a really simplistic take on things.  There’s no guarantee that Mahomes turns out to be the same QB in Buffalo that he is in KC.  

Like Lamar, and even Josh to an extent, Mahomes went to a great situation on KC.  He had a perfect mentor alex Smith, was able to sit a year and learn the offense while working for one of the great coaches. Plus he had a lot of talent surrounding him on offense.

He wouldn’t have any of this in Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 1