LA Chargers give Gordon permission to seek trade, want a 1st & 5th

Reed83HOF

26 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d be fine with Gordon. He’s not Zeke so I’m not paying a 1st or 2nd for him. He’s an elite skill player though and the Bills could use that. I don’t care how much they have to pay him because I don’t see the Bills in any sort of cap trouble in the near future. Front load it and give yourself outs after year 2 and year 3. I’d offer a 3rd and a 6th. 

People are too fixated on “you shouldn’t pay ____ for a RB.” I’m fine paying elite players at any position if it doesn’t damage my cap. The Bills can EASILY do that and still have plenty to do whatever else is needed.

I like this take. The Bills haha the cap to do it. Adding a solid player like Gordon wouldn’t hurt. I’m also with you on value. I’d do it for a 3rd, but no more. I’m laughing if they request a 1st or 2nd. 

22 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Did he die and something about Sammy Watkins in his top 4, poor bastard 

Sources close to the tailback tell us he died after experiencing “full cardiac arrest” during a physical therapy session. 

For some reason google linked CJ Fuller as CJ Spiller. 

53 minutes ago, Beane/Allen said:

Rumor has it Beane wants Gordon bad. 

Is he being swayed by the local media (Mike Schopp) which seems to put little emphasis on the running back position? 

Personally, I feel a big play on Gordon would show lack of confidence in who is under center. 

Related image

• Haha (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

There is no way in hell I would give up a first but if you did trade for him I don't think the contract would be an issue.  You could sign him to a 3-4 year deal and get his prime years without ever really worrying about cap issues because if you won't have to pay a QB in that time frame.  If Allen doesn't improve then it really isn't an issue in the slightest.  That said I think we are going to see a lot of Devin Singletary this year and the Bills brass likely is not interested. 

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.....

Okay...that's a little better.  I still wouldn't give up a first for a RB though unless he's something really special like Adrian Peterson in his prime or CJ Spiller in 2012.

...what kind of contract would you then propose?......if he doesn't like the number, would you use the tag on him as a 2020 UFA?.............

41 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Content: 10 posts

Joined 2 hours ago

giphy.gif

24 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Are you the one the prophesies spoke of.........................or should we expect another?

I understand the skepticism, but let's remember that we've seen folks join this board and end up providing reliable info in the past.

Of course, we've seen the other kind too...I guess I'm saying that we should give the newcomer the benefit of the doubt for now. If he's full of it, he'll get the ban hammer soon enough.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I understand the skepticism, but let's remember that we've seen folks join this board and end up providing reliable info in the past.

Of course, we've seen the other kind too...I guess I'm saying that we should give the newcomer the benefit of the doubt for now. If he's full of it, he'll get the ban hammer soon enough.

I don't give people who joined the forum 2 hours ago the benefit of the doubt.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Just wait until he breaks out the plans for a stadium deal. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

If what has been reported is accurate, the Charger's opening bid is a clear indication that they have no intention of trading him. They have all the leverage and evidently intend on using it. I think his only real choice now is to suit up and play. I hope he doesn't dig in his heels and hold out. Really good players belong on the football field. 

Would I like to see him in a Bills uni? You bet. It would immediately and significantly bolster our chances of making the playoffs IMO. He's a franchise back. Not happening tho.

1 hour ago, Beane/Allen said:

Is he being swayed by the local media (Mike Schopp) which seems to put little emphasis on the running back position? 

Personally, I feel a big play on Gordon would show lack of confidence in who is under center. 

Hey welcome to the board - wow some great speculation here.

Pray tell how Beane purportedly wanting Gordon bad is indicative of the Mike Schopp's theory of devaluation of RBs?

So by inference the Jets have no confidence in Sam Darnold given that they signed Leveon Bell?

Not too late to sign up for a logic class at a local college this semester ?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

If what has been reported is accurate, the Charger's opening bid is a clear indication that they have no intention of trading him. They have all the leverage and evidently intend on using it. I think his only real choice now is to suit up and play. I hope he doesn't dig in his heels and hold out. Really good players belong on the football field. 

Would I like to see him in a Bills uni? You bet. It would immediately and significantly bolster our chances of making the playoffs IMO. He's a franchise back. Not happening tho.

It’s Gordon’s only play to hold out. If he wouldn’t sign and play for 12, he’s not going to show up for half that. We’ll see him week 10.

Pure power move from the GM - "You think you're worth so much... go find me a team that thinks you're value is as high as you do."  When Gordon's agent can't produce a team willing to give up a 1st and he's burning paychecks, he'll see the light and come play this year and walk in the off season.

29 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

Pure power move from the GM - "You think you're worth so much... go find me a team that thinks you're value is as high as you do."  When Gordon's agent can't produce a team willing to give up a 1st and he's burning paychecks, he'll see the light and come play this year and walk in the off season.

The worst thing that could happen to Gordon is the Chargers look fine without him and ekeler/Jackson show little drop off from him. He should get out there imo.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The worst thing that could happen to Gordon is the Chargers look fine without him and ekeler/Jackson show little drop off from him. He should get out there imo.

Exactly. Like ppl said, he has zero leverage. They were 4-0 last year without him as well.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I love Philly's offer. You guys basically take a mediocre back from us and eat Gordon's salary, and I guess we'll take him on.  No one thinks he is that good. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...strictly opinion, but I don't see that in McBeane's wheel house.........

Opinions are like ear holes, everyone has one, or was it something else?

So let me get this strait, the Chargers don’t want to pay Gordon because they think he isn’t a top tier RB but they want to be compensated in a trade as if he is one. 

The Chargers FO is a bag of cats.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eanyills said:

It’s Gordon’s only play to hold out. If he wouldn’t sign and play for 12, he’s not going to show up for half that. We’ll see him week 10.

Meanwhile he loses $330,000 per game (including the preseason games) as well as other fines.

Must have an idiot for an agent.

14 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

If your going to waste a 2nd on a RB might as well use it to draft your own and not pay him a disgusting salary. 

You're gambling your pick when you do that. True, it's a lot cheaper, but you aren't getting a guy without flaws in the second round, and he might not even be starter material. When you trade a  pick for vet, you know exactly what you're getting, for better or worse.

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s worked for other players,. Gordon just isn’t that good. 

Did it work for L. Bell? Idk. And Bell is a better back, with most yards from scrimmage in first 5 years than any player in history.

As for how good he is, how much worse is he than D. Johnson who is often injured and is making 13 per. And he's certainly better than D. Freeman whose somewhere between 7-8. And if he's no good why would the Chargers have offered him around 10x what they are paying both his alleged fantastic backups together? 

As others have said, 10-11 is probably the right number for him. Only thing he gains by holding out is I guess resting his legs before hitting free agency next year. Oh yeah, and maybe screwing his former team. The front end of their schedule is against good run Ds. We'll see how they make out. 

To me he would be much better off suiting up, having a good year and cashing in 2020.

12 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Did it work for L. Bell? Idk. And Bell is a better back, with most yards from scrimmage in first 5 years than any player in history.

As for how good he is, how much worse is he than D. Johnson who is often injured and is making 13 per. And he's certainly better than D. Freeman whose somewhere between 7-8. And if he's no good why would the Chargers have offered him around 10x what they are paying both his alleged fantastic backups together? 

As others have said, 10-11 is probably the right number for him. Only thing he gains by holding out is I guess resting his legs before hitting free agency next year. Oh yeah, and maybe screwing his former team. The front end of their schedule is against good run Ds. We'll see how they make out. 

To me he would be much better off suiting up, having a good year and cashing in 2020.

Also a different situation, as Bell was not under contract. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Also a different situation, as Bell was not under contract. 

Like Bell, wouldn't Gordon also be a FA after sitting out a year? Bell didn't get paid, neither would Gordon if he sat out. From the players perspective aren't they pretty much in the same situation?

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I love Philly's offer. You guys basically take a mediocre back from us and eat Gordon's salary, and I guess we'll take him on.  No one thinks he is that good. 

I don't think it's that nobody thinks he's that good. He could likely get the type of deal he wants if he was a FA, but nobody is going to part with a 1st and 5th AND pay him top dollar. The Chargers know this which is why they told him to find a partner, they know he can't, not for what they're asking.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

There is absolutely no reason to trade picks, and then give him a crap ton of money. Collectively this running back group will out preform Gordon. Draft another back next year between rounds 2-4, release Gore. 

I'm with you, but keep Gore.  That dude does not age! 

are we sure the Chargers want a 1st and 5th.  I mean a 3rd okay, perhaps a 2nd, but a 1st.  LOL.  

11 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Like Bell, wouldn't Gordon also be a FA after sitting out a year? Bell didn't get paid, neither would Gordon if he sat out. From the players perspective aren't they pretty much in the same situation?

No, if Gordon sits out past week 10 his contract will toll, and he will lose a year of accrued service toward FA. He would be on the 5th year option again in 2020.

bell wasn’t on the 5th year option. He was tagged, and didn’t sign it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

This would make sense if Philly took Gordon's salary, but wow, making LA keep it.  You have to know that won't work.  

4 hours ago, Beane/Allen said:

Where the heck are you seeing that?

And there is 0 chance our Front office gets swayed by local media 

Gordon =0% chance of coming to buffalo