Giants looking at defense at #6 in draft?

From Rotoworld today;

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano said the Giants aren't "kidding" about bringing Eli Manning back in 2020.

The Giants are well aware that Manning is nearing the finish line, but it doesn't sound like they're smitten with any of the quarterbacks in next month's draft and may decide to ride it out with Eli a bit longer. Per Vacchiano, the G-Men saw a lot of "positive signs" from Manning down the stretch in 2018 and "won't hesitate" to extend his contract for another year. Even if New York won't admit it, the former Super Bowl MVP is undoubtedly on the decline and the Giants probably should have drafted his successor when they had the chance a year ago. With Odell Beckham gone and Saquon Barkley emerging as the clear focal point of New York's offense, the 38-year-old will likely serve in a game-manager capacity going forward.

AND 

Ralph Vacchiano of SNY was told by a team source that the Giants will likely select a pass-rusher with the sixth overall pick.

The source told Vacchiano, "As much as we need a young quarterback, I honestly don't know how we can pass on one of the pass rushers at six." Most would agree Eli Manning is on his last leg and while Vacchiano confirms that Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins is a "real option" for the G-Men, GM Dave Gettleman seems to be zeroing in on defense with the sixth pick. The trio of Nick Bosa, Josh Allen and Quinnen Williams probably won't be available at No. 6, but Rashan Gary, Ed Oliver and Montez Sweat should be if New York indeed chooses to address its pass-rushing need. Even with Manning on borrowed time, it doesn't appear drafting his successor is at the top of Gettleman's to-do list.

This begs two obvious questions; 

A)   Is this a Gettleman pre-draft smokescreen?

B)   Did Gettleman get dropped on his head as a baby?

• Haha (+1) 1

A) I’m not so sure. Last year Gettleman’s interests and intentions were pretty well known and came to fruition. So we have some history to go off of. 

And B) if this is true, then absolutely. Simply a horrendous GM. If he passes on a QB at 6 and I’m the owner of the Giants he is fired immediately. 

4 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

A) I’m not so sure. Last year Gettleman’s interests and intentions were pretty well known and came to fruition. So we have some history to go off of. 

And B) if this is true, then absolutely. Simply a horrendous GM. If he passes on a QB at 6 and I’m the owner of the Giants he is fired immediately. 

Not if Im the owner.  I dont see any of these QBs as top 6, but I havnt put as much film study into it this offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billspro said:

Gettleman is running the Giants into the ground. Luckily for them they will be contenders for Lawrence in 2021 after Gettleman is fired. 

I remember Gettleman was a media favorite for our GM position, real happy we didn't get him.  His plan with the Giants just changes year to year he has no idea what he's doing

• Like (+1) 1

A) this is a long-term plan because all the QBs in 2019 draft are terrible and in the 2020 draft the QBs are much better. Therefore take BPA this year, blow, draft a QB high next year. 

B) Gettlemen was dropped on his head as a baby. ? 

• Like (+1) 1

I would expect the Giants to try and move back for 2020 draft picks, sort of follow our model from 2017, in hopes of positioning themselves for one of the top 2 QB's next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm just gonna say it in every single thread mentioning the Giants: Gettleman is a terrible GM without a cohesive, logical vision for his team. I am EXTREMELY glad he is not the GM of MY favorite team.

The Giants could be entering 2019 with, say, a core of Sam Darnold, Odell Beckham, and Derrius Guice. In this scenario, the money they're NOT spending on Eli could be spent on retaining Landon Collins. Instead, Gettleman picks a RUNNING BACK over a franchise QB, pays Eli $23million, watches Landon Collins walk away, and trades away Odell Beckham. I mean....that is just staggering. I am speechless. I am without speech.

Gettleman is the absolute worst.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Not if Im the owner.  I dont see any of these QBs as top 6, but I havnt put as much film study into it this offseason.

How about when the decision is coupled with taking a RB second overall with an obviously aging and ineffective QB? That pretty much necessitates taking one this year, and your never getting Haskins at 17. 

46 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

How about when the decision is coupled with taking a RB second overall with an obviously aging and ineffective QB? That pretty much necessitates taking one this year, and your never getting Haskins at 17. 

I wouldnt take Haskins at 17.  I would probably take Lock.  They should not have passed on a QB last draft but Im glad they did.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Everything else I can't argue. But they could be in good shape if they take one of the QBs in this years draft at 6.

Yeah. A Dwayne Haskins/Saquon Barkley pairing could work. I'd rather have Sam Darnold/Josh Jacobs, personally. I just think Gettleman screwed the pooch last year by having the 2nd overall pick in a potentially historically great QB class and opting to use it on a freaking running back. Amateur hour.

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

From Rotoworld today;

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano said the Giants aren't "kidding" about bringing Eli Manning back in 2020.

The Giants are well aware that Manning is nearing the finish line, but it doesn't sound like they're smitten with any of the quarterbacks in next month's draft and may decide to ride it out with Eli a bit longer. Per Vacchiano, the G-Men saw a lot of "positive signs" from Manning down the stretch in 2018 and "won't hesitate" to extend his contract for another year. Even if New York won't admit it, the former Super Bowl MVP is undoubtedly on the decline and the Giants probably should have drafted his successor when they had the chance a year ago. With Odell Beckham gone and Saquon Barkley emerging as the clear focal point of New York's offense, the 38-year-old will likely serve in a game-manager capacity going forward.

AND 

Ralph Vacchiano of SNY was told by a team source that the Giants will likely select a pass-rusher with the sixth overall pick.

The source told Vacchiano, "As much as we need a young quarterback, I honestly don't know how we can pass on one of the pass rushers at six." Most would agree Eli Manning is on his last leg and while Vacchiano confirms that Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins is a "real option" for the G-Men, GM Dave Gettleman seems to be zeroing in on defense with the sixth pick. The trio of Nick Bosa, Josh Allen and Quinnen Williams probably won't be available at No. 6, but Rashan Gary, Ed Oliver and Montez Sweat should be if New York indeed chooses to address its pass-rushing need. Even with Manning on borrowed time, it doesn't appear drafting his successor is at the top of Gettleman's to-do list.

This begs two obvious questions; 

A)   Is this a Gettleman pre-draft smokescreen?

B)   Did Gettleman get dropped on his head as a baby?

B and i hope they do :devil:

wth is with all the Barkley bashing? The guy is a True Beast! 352 touches (run& rec), 2028 TYps, 5.8 Ypp, 15 TDs ZERO fumbles, Pro Bowl starter, League ROY -for those with short memories. Is this type of production NOT what you could expect from #2 overall? How does this immediate payoff vs years of scrutinizing a QB hopeful make Gettleman an idiot? That’s better than our two 1st Pick, HOF RBs rookie seasons combined! If they do Draft a stud DL at 6, how is this not what any team would appreciate from their GM?

Tough crowd...

• Like (+1) 1

I would have to go with Gettleman on this one, there isn't a QB worth taking until late in round 1 imo. This may be the best DL draft of all time, they won 2 SB's with Eli Manning getting hot in the playoffs and dominant defense. I think they'll go back to those roots. I think a Devin White, Josh Allen, Ed Oliver, Christian Wilkins or Montez Sweat would all be solid choices. I just don't see Haskins as a special talent and I think Murray is going to be in and out of the Hospital many, many times in his career. Drew Lock in the 1st round? Good luck with that.

4 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

I'm not a fan of Gettleman but I agree these QBS in this draft aren't the prospects look for at that position. 

55 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

wth is with all the Barkley bashing? The guy is a True Beast! 352 touches (run& rec), 2028 TYps, 5.8 Ypp, 15 TDs ZERO fumbles, Pro Bowl starter, League ROY -for those with short memories. Is this type of production NOT what you could expect from #2 overall? How does this immediate payoff vs years of scrutinizing a QB hopeful make Gettleman an idiot? That’s better than our two 1st Pick, HOF RBs rookie seasons combined! If they do Draft a stud DL at 6, how is this not what any team would appreciate from their GM?

Tough crowd...

I for one am not bashing Barkley.  I think he'll be the best RB for years to come.  I'm bashing the fact that teams aren't built around RBs.  They're built around QBs.  We all know that Eli's best days are behind him and he's rapidly on the decline as the end of his career is a lot closer than the Giants want to realize.  I just think that the Giants took a huge risk last year by not taking a QB, in which I believe was the best QB draft class since the Kelly, Marino, Elway draft class.  They could've grabbed one of the big 3 QBs from last year and found a RB this year.  Thank God they didn't because we may not have gotten Josh Allen.  Good RBs are easier to come by then QBs.  Maybe they could've put themselves in play for the Le'veon Bell sweepstakes.  I just think the Giants would've benefited for years to come if they got a QB last year to sit behind Eli for mentorship before he retires. 

7 hours ago, dubs said:

A) this is a long-term plan because all the QBs in 2019 draft are terrible and in the 2020 draft the QBs are much better. Therefore take BPA this year, blow, draft a QB high next year. 

B) Gettlemen was dropped on his head as a baby. ? 

Hes from NYC what do you expect. 

3 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I'm not a fan of Gettleman but I agree these QBS in this draft aren't the prospects look for at that position. 

I agree to in the sense that if was willing to wait on last year's QB class he certainly should be willing to wait on this year's. The best QB in this class comes with a great deal of risk and will be gone in any event by the time the Giants go on the clock. After that.... Haskins, Jones, Lock..... I can well understand why teams are not sold on them.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Tough crowd...

Barkley is a beast and clearly worth a number one pick. With that being said, if you are looking for a player to build your team around and be competitive for the next 10-12 (or more) years, it would be a QB, not a running back - particularly in today's NFL. I am not a Gettleman basher. He has a very impressive resume and learned under some of the best. Only time will tell how the QB class of 2018 turns out; however, IMHO, when your starting QB is nearing (and some might say already at) the end of his career and you have the number one pick in what could be an historic QB draft, the pick you have to make for the long-term good of your team is QB - regardless of what an immense talent Barkley is. 

Bills fans should know better than anybody.  If you don't have a top QB (Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tyrod Taylor), it really doesn't matter how good the rest of your team is. 

Even if Eli Manning isn't technically "done" - his best days are clearly behind him.  Even at the top of his game, Manning was a very inconsistent QB who was average most of the time and had only a couple stretches of greatness.  He's not going to be a player who can lead you to a Super Bowl anymore.  Especially not with this roster.  And if you aren't gunning for a championship, then what are you doing? 

The Giants were in a perfect position (drafting #2) last year.  They had their choice from a handful of good QB prospects and passed.  They should have a pretty good prospect in Dwayne Haskins fall into their lap at #5.  Rumors are they are passing again.  So either Gettleman is poor at scouting the quarterback position, or he's just terrible at understanding how to build a winning roster.

If Gettleman is purposely gunning for someone specific in 2020-2021, then he's a fool.  The landscape of the NFL, the NCAA and the Draft can change dramatically in 12 months.  Players can get hurt or decide to go back to school.  With a year of film, the top guys can suddenly have their flaws exposed by college defenses.  I can't count how many times I've seen a can't-miss Top 5 quarterback plummet as a prospect in the span of one college season.  Gettleman doesn't know who is going to be available, or if they will still be good enough to warrant a top pick.  And even if the Giants tank, there is no guarantee they will even be high enough to get the QB they are targeting.

All of the non-QB talent Gettleman is pulling together will totally go to waste if he continues to push-off taking a QB.  In most cases, it will take 2-3 years to develop a QB after drafting him.  By the time the Giants finally get a guy in place, Barkley's prime will be gone and the team will be in salary cap trouble.

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Tough crowd...

Running backs don't move the needle in the wins column like a QB does. This is obvious, because despite having a pro bowl, sensational rookie at the position they are picking top 6 yet again.

I don't think anyone is bashing Barkley. He did his job and is obviously talented. They are bashing the decision to pass on a QB, which is an infinitely more important position.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that the Giants have the #17 pick in the draft.  If they don't view any of the QBs worth a top 10 pick, they can sit at 17 and get their guy, if they even have a guy in this bad QB draft year.  Nobody wants to be the next Buddy Nix-a guy who takes a QB just to take one because he neglected the position in earlier drafts.  Better to be prudent and wait a year until a guy, not JAG, is available in either your spot or a trade up. All this talk about teams between 10-15 grabbing a bunch of QBs is just talk by people who want those teams to get so hungry for a QB they'll get into a bidding war for pick 9.  All that is, is Bills homerism by people who love the thought of trading down.  The QBs in this draft just aren't that talented to start a bidding war for.  Let's look at the teams the trade downers are talking about:

Denver: Elway has been taking draft scraps for years hoping one will turn into chicken salad.  He's not risking it at 10 or a trade up.  Just look at last year, he could have had Allen or Rosen at 5, but wasn't even thinking QB.  He's been a win now GM his entire stay, not a guy who looks 2-3 years down the line.  It worked with Manning so he thinks a veteran for a few years is better than drafting a QB of the future.  He figures he can get 2-3 years out of Flacco and is pushing the young QB down the road to another future draft.

Miami: Face it, they're thinking 2020 not 2019.  The team is structured to be bad this year.  They reached for Tannehill years ago & won't make the mistake of drafting JAG again, at least not in this draft.  

Cincinnati: They have a mediocrity in Dalton.  This draft is filled with future mediocrities.  The Bengals are not looking at this draft to get another one.  Daton's job is safe for this draft.

Washington: They invested in Smith long term.  Now he has a season ending injury, but QBs are now playing into their 40s.  They traded for this year's stopgap & rather than reach for a QB this year, they'll see what Smith is before the 2020 draft.  They'll probably be drafting pretty high, as will the Giants, in a much better QB draft next year, so if Smith can't play again they'll be in position to draft a franchise guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

His biggest failure was not taking Allen last year. Unfortunately for Gettleman I see no good options this year. Pretty myopic planning by the Giants FO.