Giants looking at defense at #6 in draft?

From Rotoworld today;

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano said the Giants aren't "kidding" about bringing Eli Manning back in 2020.

The Giants are well aware that Manning is nearing the finish line, but it doesn't sound like they're smitten with any of the quarterbacks in next month's draft and may decide to ride it out with Eli a bit longer. Per Vacchiano, the G-Men saw a lot of "positive signs" from Manning down the stretch in 2018 and "won't hesitate" to extend his contract for another year. Even if New York won't admit it, the former Super Bowl MVP is undoubtedly on the decline and the Giants probably should have drafted his successor when they had the chance a year ago. With Odell Beckham gone and Saquon Barkley emerging as the clear focal point of New York's offense, the 38-year-old will likely serve in a game-manager capacity going forward.

AND 

Ralph Vacchiano of SNY was told by a team source that the Giants will likely select a pass-rusher with the sixth overall pick.

The source told Vacchiano, "As much as we need a young quarterback, I honestly don't know how we can pass on one of the pass rushers at six." Most would agree Eli Manning is on his last leg and while Vacchiano confirms that Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins is a "real option" for the G-Men, GM Dave Gettleman seems to be zeroing in on defense with the sixth pick. The trio of Nick Bosa, Josh Allen and Quinnen Williams probably won't be available at No. 6, but Rashan Gary, Ed Oliver and Montez Sweat should be if New York indeed chooses to address its pass-rushing need. Even with Manning on borrowed time, it doesn't appear drafting his successor is at the top of Gettleman's to-do list.

This begs two obvious questions; 

A)   Is this a Gettleman pre-draft smokescreen?

B)   Did Gettleman get dropped on his head as a baby?

• Haha (+1) 1

A) I’m not so sure. Last year Gettleman’s interests and intentions were pretty well known and came to fruition. So we have some history to go off of. 

And B) if this is true, then absolutely. Simply a horrendous GM. If he passes on a QB at 6 and I’m the owner of the Giants he is fired immediately. 

4 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

A) I’m not so sure. Last year Gettleman’s interests and intentions were pretty well known and came to fruition. So we have some history to go off of. 

And B) if this is true, then absolutely. Simply a horrendous GM. If he passes on a QB at 6 and I’m the owner of the Giants he is fired immediately. 

Not if Im the owner.  I dont see any of these QBs as top 6, but I havnt put as much film study into it this offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billspro said:

Gettleman is running the Giants into the ground. Luckily for them they will be contenders for Lawrence in 2021 after Gettleman is fired. 

I remember Gettleman was a media favorite for our GM position, real happy we didn't get him.  His plan with the Giants just changes year to year he has no idea what he's doing

• Like (+1) 1

A) this is a long-term plan because all the QBs in 2019 draft are terrible and in the 2020 draft the QBs are much better. Therefore take BPA this year, blow, draft a QB high next year. 

B) Gettlemen was dropped on his head as a baby. ? 

• Like (+1) 1

I would expect the Giants to try and move back for 2020 draft picks, sort of follow our model from 2017, in hopes of positioning themselves for one of the top 2 QB's next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm just gonna say it in every single thread mentioning the Giants: Gettleman is a terrible GM without a cohesive, logical vision for his team. I am EXTREMELY glad he is not the GM of MY favorite team.

The Giants could be entering 2019 with, say, a core of Sam Darnold, Odell Beckham, and Derrius Guice. In this scenario, the money they're NOT spending on Eli could be spent on retaining Landon Collins. Instead, Gettleman picks a RUNNING BACK over a franchise QB, pays Eli $23million, watches Landon Collins walk away, and trades away Odell Beckham. I mean....that is just staggering. I am speechless. I am without speech.

Gettleman is the absolute worst.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Not if Im the owner.  I dont see any of these QBs as top 6, but I havnt put as much film study into it this offseason.

How about when the decision is coupled with taking a RB second overall with an obviously aging and ineffective QB? That pretty much necessitates taking one this year, and your never getting Haskins at 17. 

46 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

How about when the decision is coupled with taking a RB second overall with an obviously aging and ineffective QB? That pretty much necessitates taking one this year, and your never getting Haskins at 17. 

I wouldnt take Haskins at 17.  I would probably take Lock.  They should not have passed on a QB last draft but Im glad they did.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Everything else I can't argue. But they could be in good shape if they take one of the QBs in this years draft at 6.

Yeah. A Dwayne Haskins/Saquon Barkley pairing could work. I'd rather have Sam Darnold/Josh Jacobs, personally. I just think Gettleman screwed the pooch last year by having the 2nd overall pick in a potentially historically great QB class and opting to use it on a freaking running back. Amateur hour.