Barnwell has Bills at 6 wins in 2019

11 hours ago, stosh64 said:

Barnwell has ADS (Allen derangement syndrome). 

1814132075_download(21).thumb.jpg.74b949428d99048f941d2aa862d1d1d2.jpg

The douche dough boy won't ruin my optimism about Allen or the Bills next year. 

I am firmly in this camp.  Extremely optimistic about where the process will lead next year.  

7 minutes ago, Philly McButterpants said:

And that Alabama or Clemson might beat us?

At that point of the year, yes Alabama or Clemson could have given us a game. We were on pace for the worse offense of all time. There were more pros on those two teams then were on ours. Tua or Lawerence would be better options then Nate Peterman or DA

Edited by uticaclub

there are two issues here ... 

Vagas and Barnwell

Not sure what Vegas is really thinking tho

the Ravens (10-6)    LJ will be Tuhroded  by mid October.  

Washington Redskins (7-9)  Alex Smith may never wear skins colors again on the field.  They don't have a QB on the roster to move forward with.

Is this Vegas speaking or Barnwell?

There are also still plenty of questions about Allen, who needed a late surge to finish with a 67.9 passer rating, the 14th-worst mark for a quarterback in a 300-attempt season in league history. Sean McDermott's defense has ranked among the best in football over the past two seasons and should continue to carry the load in 2019.

Plenty of issues?   There are a few but nothing catastrophic.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

12 hours ago, PIZ said:

I would said that's a good prediction for 2018, but 2019 will be much better in my opinion.  Get the OL taken care of, add a few WRs, a RB, a DT, a CB, and a LB and they'll get 10 wins.  With FA and the draft, they should be in good shape in 2019.

That would be wonderful but you do make it sound just a bit too simple. ;)

12 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Given the last twenty years of data, I’d say he’s about right on. 

12 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Easiest prediction in all of history, the Bills O/U 6.5

This is also true.  

12 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Since we haven’t had 10 wins in 20 years, this would be a hell of a season. Hope you’re right!

Yeah, our O/U will be either 6.5 or 5.5.  Odds are we won’t have the #2 defense again.  But the hope is the offense can be better than one of the worst.  And Allen taking the next step.

Predicting the Bills' W-L record in year three of McBeane's tenure based upon 17 years of results they had nothing to do with is about as short-sighted as you can get.

A "logical" W-L prediction at this point would be 8-8.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Moronic prediction and shows he knows nothing about the Bills.

Buffalo won 6 games this year, and that was with the following conditions:

1. Our starting QB missing 4 games.
  2. Having to start Nathan Peterman and Derek Anderson multiple times. 
  3. Having dead weight over half the year at WR in Kelvin Benjamin starting.
  4. Losing 3 starting and Pro Bowl OL in one off season.
  5. Being one play away from a win in two games we lost:  Mia when Clay dropped the TD and another against Jets when ST fumbled the game away.
  6. Having a kid who cant even buy a beer Quarterbacking our Defense in Edmunds
  7. Having very little weapons around our starting QB

We have 10 draft picks, possibly more if we trade down with Redskins like I think we will, and $90m in cap room.  Our top end defense is mostly remaining in tact with tons of young talent improving on it and our offense will be rebuild with new talent on the line and at the skill positions.  

To predict the same 6 win season now seems stupid.  Just my 2 cents.  I think we will have a winning record next year as long as Josh starts all 16 games.

You make several valid points in this post.

Imo, the Bills will not be able to get to the playoffs without a drastic improvement in the offensive line. If Josh has to keep running at the rate he did last season, he is eventually going to get seriously injured. He needs more protection and even a better running game to perform to the level of his capabilities, which I think are huge.

Call me crazy but imo once the OL is fixed, and I do mean fixed (not slightly improved), other units will get better right along with them.

• Like (+1) 2

Why pay attention to this kind of stuff?  No draft yet, no free agency signings, nothing.

This is yet again an example of the 24/7 news cycle hurting journalism.  These guys have to write something to earn their keep, and rather than look for something novel during Super Bowl week of all weeks, he writes this stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

At that point of the year, yes Alabama or Clemson could have given us a game. We were on pace for the worse offense of all time. There were more pros on those two teams then were on ours. Tua or Lawerence would be better options then Nate Peterman or DA

Yeah, they could have given us a game. In the sense that they could have used the same field at the same time and put eleven men on it.

We'd have destroyed them utterly.

There were no pros on those two teams, unless you want to count a few likely under-the-table payments from boosters to twenty-one year olds and younger. Some future pros. But no pros.

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Why pay attention to this kind of stuff?  No draft yet, no free agency signings, nothing.

This is yet again an example of the 24/7 news cycle hurting journalism.  These guys have to write something to earn their keep, and rather than look for something novel during Super Bowl week of all weeks, he writes this stuff.

He wrote it because some people are interested. You're not? Hey, fair enough, very reasonable indeed. But the interest is here, in this thread and in the countless stories referencing it if you search for it.

It's not like there are only a few oddballs out there with an interest in gambling lines.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I don't think it's a harming journalism.  But it's a harmless prediction in January certainly not worth getting bent about.  

12 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

He also has the Jets at 4-12 and the fish at 7-9 lmfao 

I don't know if anyone else has pointed this out yet, but no he doesn't. He has the Jets at 6 and the Dolphins at 5.5. You're looking at their record from this past season.

Barnwell isn't even predicting that this is how many games each of these teams will win; he's just predicting what he thinks Vegas will list as their over/unders. The Bills will almost certainly be between 5.5-6.5; they always are and unless they make multiple huge acquisitions, that's where they will be again this year. Nothing they can realistically do this offseason will push them above 6.5 as far as a Vegas line goes.

We might have higher expectations than that as fans of the team, but I think it's basically a guarantee that Barnwell is within a half game of the Bills O/U by the time we hit August.

23 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, they could have given us a game. In the sense that they could have used the same field at the same time and put eleven men on it.

We'd have destroyed them utterly.

There were no pros on those two teams, unless you want to count a few likely under-the-table payments from boosters to twenty-one year olds and younger. Some future pros. But no pros.

He wrote it because some people are interested. You're not? Hey, fair enough, very reasonable indeed. But the interest is here, in this thread and in the countless stories referencing it if you search for it.

It's not like there are only a few oddballs out there with an interest in gambling lines.

defending crap journalism once again I see.

15 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Considering we won 6 games in 2018 and everyone still has the same rosters I think he might be on to something.

Closing out the season

they won 4 of the last 7.   Isn't that an improvement?  

they dumped K Benjamin.   Isn't that an improvement?  

Josh Allen made less mistakes.  Isn't that an improvement? 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Barnwell ought to drop a large one on that prediction is he's so sure. Haven't the Bills outperformed preseason win predictions the last few years?

Promo, the only thing missing above is...

"mic drop...Promo walks away"

Edit:

Here is the thing, even if Allen makes no improvement whatsoever (and I find that very unlikely as he improved throughout the year), just from the stand point of this team being better at certain positions I think they will be better...8-8....again, this is if Allen doesn't improve at all.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Its hard to hate on the guy.  I can see why the outside media has such low expectations for the Bills.  Its not like Free Agency or the draft will even matter.  Every team in the league gets to improve through those means, nullifying whatever competitive advantage we can foresee, and free agents and rookies rarely make the differnce.  My only gripe, perhaps, is that he doesn't give enough credit to the jump QBs make from year one to year two.  But I can't fault him for having a hard time seeing this happen.  

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They dumped a guy so it's an improvement? 

uh Yes. 

I can probably (with accuracy) say that KB single handily lost 2 or 3 games with his horrible play  

The Coaching Staff and FO are attempting to fix what mistakes they made  so it's an improvement 

• Like (+1) 1

Bill Barnwell:

This is merely trying to estimate what Vegas will set as the average expectation for each of the league's 32 teams in 2019 this spring.

OP has taken this completely out of context. Bill Barnwell went out of his way to emphasize that he was NOT predicting 2019 performance but that he was trying to predict Vegas opening.

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

uh Yes. 

I can probably (with accuracy) say that KB single handily lost 2 or 3 games with his horrible play  

The guys who were around in Carolina, when he was fat and out of shape, traded for him.  Why are we so sure they won’t make the same mistake again?

im good with them on defensive moves but it’s just assumed they will be better on offense.  They have been awful with that. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

Predicting the Bills' W-L record in year three of McBeane's tenure based upon 17 years of results they had nothing to do with is about as short-sighted as you can get.

A "logical" W-L prediction at this point would be 8-8.

As a former homer, I’ve made the same argument for each of the last Bills regime’s 3rd year. 

15 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Anyone predicting a team's win total without even knowing the roster construction of the Bills or their opponents is a fool or an idiot.  Maybe both.

There are soo many things wrong with doing predictions this early but for starters:

-Roster Uncertainty across the board

-Unexpected retirements

-Teams schedules never reflect the true strength until the season is completed

Looking at the Bills schedule next year its pretty easy to make an argument they should win 10 games assuming the proper additions are made. Just schedule wise alone they should win 4 of 6 in the AFCE with Miami rebuilding, beat DEN/WSH/CIN/BAL at home, and find a way to win 2 of these four NYG/DAL/TEN/CLE.

5 minutes ago, corta765 said:

There are soo many things wrong with doing predictions this early but for starters:

-Roster Uncertainty across the board

-Unexpected retirements

-Teams schedules never reflect the true strength until the season is completed

Looking at the Bills schedule next year its pretty easy to make an argument they should win 10 games assuming the proper additions are made. Just schedule wise alone they should win 4 of 6 in the AFCE with Miami rebuilding, beat DEN/WSH/CIN/BAL at home, and find a way to win 2 of these four NYG/DAL/TEN/CLE.

Not everything is going to go right. Bills need almost a full offensive roster rebuild. There just isnt that much in fa and out of those 10 draft picks. 7 of them are on day 3. It would be a good season if the Bills win 2 extra games

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

In reality three wins seemed very optimistic at early points in the  season.

easy to say now that you knew it would be such a triumphant compiling of all those wins..... ?

Bills were reduced to sending Derek ***** Anderson out there to take on the Pats.  And some people on here weren’t laughing.

I'm not patting myself on the back here or using hindsight. Plenty of people knew that the Bills would not be the worst team in the league.

14 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

the over / under is 8 with today's roster based on how they exited the last quarter of the season; clearly it is 9 post-draft and FA as they are not losing anyone (other than Kyle) to FA this year who matters.  So its only gain in terms of next years roster vs the roster that performed well for the last 4 games.  

I'd go play next years schedule with the current roster and probably win 8 games.  The only thing that happened bad this year was they needed about 3 or 4 more games to play....

Trust the Process.   Barring serious injuries to irreplaceable players like QB or half your o line  (which trashes any teams season) , next year is going to be great. 

"Only gain".  So there is no chance anyone performs at a lesser level in 2019 than 2018?