Bills fire ST Coach Danny Crossman

Rubes

Just now, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Intersting.

Beane puts 6-10 on him and part of the plan.  Then three coaches get fired.

Guess Terry isn’t as patient.

Name the last time in recent years that a team that didn’t make the playoffs retained every assistant coach?  Assistant coaches  change all the time

• Like (+1) 7

9 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Intersting.

Or they aren't very good and they want to upgrade.

• Like (+1) 3

Another one where I could care less. It's the players not the coach. Look around the league. Special teams coaches have great and awful units in their careers. But a change in coach is fine but won't make a differnce if they do not upgrade the backup WR, LB, and DB spots that make up the bulk of the coverage units.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Intersting.

If your point is that firing assistant coaches admits mistakes and takes heat off the GM and the coach by placing blame elsewhere, I agree. 

I do think its a little optimistic to think that every staff hire is going to be brilliant and every player personnel move is going to work out swimmingly.  It's not really the way it works.  Even Belichick makes mistakes in assistant coach hiring and player moves.   One of the emerging strengths of the current regime is admitting errors and cutting bait (Benjamin, etc.).  I think Terry and Kim have created the environment that allows this as long as they see progress toward the vision.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I hope the next guy is given better talent to work worth...it's all about having solid depth and,of course,a talented return man..or two.jmho

Agreed. Bad special teams is generally indicative of an incomplete roster/lack of depth. There is a difference between under performing players and bad players. We have bad depth at CB, LB, WR. Doesn't give your ST much of a chance. 

That said, Crossman still blows. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Intersting.

You're consistent in your disdain for Beane and McDermott, almost to the point of weirdness. What is it you're trying to communicate here?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Another one where I could care less. It's the players not the coach. Look around the league. Special teams coaches have great and awful units in their careers. But a change in coach is fine but won't make a differnce if they do not upgrade the backup WR, LB, and DB spots that make up the bulk of the coverage units.

I generally agree with this.   The GMs and HCs who prioritize STs stock them with good players who then produce good results.

But not all ST coaches are created equal.   I think McD can upgrade Crossman.

• SDS changed the title to Bills fire ST Coach Danny Crossman
  • SDS pinned this topic