Bills fire ST Coach Danny Crossman

Rubes

Three firings. That should appease those savages over at TSW.

Having said that One: I take no joy in the thought of three families being uprooted and/or faced with uncertainty

Having said that Two: My empathy with the families is tempered by the fact the Asst Coaches make a pretty good living and understand firings and moving on are part of the job.

• Like (+1) 2

Anytime you don't get results you can expect to get axed.  Special teams were terrible all year long in almost every facet of special teams.  Yes, they had several personnel changes but not any better results.  If anything, they were worse as the year progressed.   Crossman could have been let go when McDermott came on board.  Im not sure why he stayed as long as he did.

I think what did Castillo in, was him vouching for Ducasse who was a disaster.  Also, who improved this year on the oline? Not one guy.  Maybe Teller but I'm not sure.

Robiskie who knows?  But his unit was terrible as well.

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Intersting.

Beane puts 6-10 on him and part of the plan.  Then three coaches get fired.

Guess Terry isn’t as patient.

Since Beane has no direct connection to the way players are being coached or the way players are playing, when he takes responbsibility for the product on the field, it has to be a personnel issue for him, but process of elimination.  In other words, "I hired the wrong people."

What bothers me is this is a Dough Whaley, Rex Ryan type of an off season so far.

Prove me wrong and make a few high quality hires to help entice FA to come here.  Move fast... this should have been planned out months ago with the list of hires ready and their agents contacted showing interest months ago.

That is not tampering, all teams do it.  "Hey we maybe making some coaching changes at the end of the year, are any of your clients interested in Buffalo?"  Agents know how to read between the lines.  If this was not happening.. that is bad and it shows McBean did not plan for this firing.

16 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

As bad as Castillo was I think Crossman should have gone first...

These moves needed to be made if the team wanted to compete for a division title this year. Good to see McD is not sitting on his hands. Now to find some quality replacements who know what they are doing. 

Why does the order matter at all.  Maybe they sat with the offensive staff first and reviewed each position.

The nice thing is they are reviewing and going over every aspect of the team and are trying to improve.

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Intersting.

Beane puts 6-10 on him and part of the plan.  Then three coaches get fired.

Guess Terry isn’t as patient.

This has nothing to do with Terry.  Both Beane and McDermott were pretty clear that 6-10 was not acceptable and they would look at all avenues to improve the team.  Like most Bills fans, they obviously concluded that ST is one of the areas that requires a major improvement.

Like many in this thread, I think this firing was necessary.  Here's hoping for a better replacement - although honestly, how could it be much worse? ST lost the Bills several games this year on boneheaded stuff that could have been avoided with better coaching. 

I wish Crossman the best, but it was time for him to go. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Like many in this thread, I think this firing was necessary.  Here's hoping for a better replacement - although honestly, how could it be much worse? ST lost the Bills several games this year on boneheaded stuff that could have been avoided with better coaching. 

I wish Crossman the best, but it was time for him to go. 

That’s an important point, there is no malice here (on my part, anyway)....but it was certainly time. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Iraq Vet said:

What bothers me is this is a Dough Whaley, Rex Ryan type of an off season so far.

Prove me wrong and make a few high quality hires to help entice FA to come here.  Move fast... this should have been planned out months ago with the list of hires ready and their agents contacted showing interest months ago.

That is not tampering, all teams do it.  "Hey we maybe making some coaching changes at the end of the year, are any of your clients interested in Buffalo?"  Agents know how to read between the lines.  If this was not happening.. that is bad and it shows McBean did not plan for this firing.

You don’t think they have a plan in place?

My guess based solely on how organized and detailed they are - they already have an idea of what they are looking for and then based upon the now fired HCs have a list of candidates. 

I do not think anything done right now is not planned out as much as you can.  You do not always get the exact result you want - as happened with the Dennison decision as he had another guy in mind that chose another position instead, but you plan for as many contingencies as possible.

• Like (+1) 2